Adam ElGammal

In my opinion he just has to get stronger and work on technique him playing basketball should hopefully mean he is light on his feet
A lineman that played baskeball pretty much makes him an elite athlete at his position. Let's not forget he played at one of the most elite high school basketball programs in America.

This is the blueprint for LT!!!

Advertisement
Nothing against the kid, it was a lazy recruiting by Searles. U think Barry would go after this kid?

Actually, what Miami is going after, yes I do. Get athletic kids who you can develop and have ready by year 3. Instead of oversized kids who dominate high school competition because they have an eight to one hundred pound advantage, go after a kid who needs to add 30 pounds you can control with proper lifting and diet.

I might be one of the only guys to like the ElGammal signing.

Im not in any expectances for him for a solid 2 years..but if he progresses can be a 2 yr starter here.

He's going to take his lumps.

Put it like this when we signed Herbert i said the same thing about him as well. OL is a crap shoot...there arent much definate guys...which is why guys like Donaldson and Scaife are really good..as they came in above servicable.

Now its up for our ol coach to get MORE out of them and develop the Nelson's Elgammal to be solid depth at worst moving forward.

Donaldson was pressed into service. Ideally, he should have redshirted to get his body right talented or not. I am very interested in seeing what the new S&C is doing with both these guys.

Back to your main point, year three is the indicator whether or not a kid is really going to contribute on the offensive line.

Actually, what Miami is going after, yes I do. Get athletic kids who you can develop and have ready by year 3. Instead of oversized kids who dominate high school competition because they have an eight to one hundred pound advantage, go after a kid who needs to add 30 pounds you can control with proper lifting and diet.

Then you’re in the minority cause using your theory you would’ve taken this kid as opposed to an out of shape Donaldson, or in his day an out of shape Vernon Carey. Smdh

I don't see any bad weight. The kid looks very athletic. In a previous article, I wrote that these type of guys could be the blueprint for Miami's future LTs and high draft picks. Athletic lineman with great frames to build on. Think about it. Coming out of high school, An offensive lineman that is an athletic freak has more upside than a guy who is bigger and more polished. It makes more sense to go after the athletic under the radar, undersized (by weight) that's not a finished product because most offensive linemen don't play until their 3rd year in college anyway.

I'd rather get the right guys and develop them rather than putting in more polished high school players, but lower ceilings earlier to fill a gap. You need athletic LTs to deal with these freakish DEs. These type of guys are the cornerstone of any NFL franchise.

Multiple Pro Bowler LT Jason Peters from my beloved Philadelphia Eagles was a TE at Arkansas who went undrafted. An NFL coach suggested that Peters try to become an offensive lineman because he blocked well as a TE. He made the practice squad as a lineman. The rest is history.

Get these athletic dudes that played basketball. Put them in the 3-year pipeline and watch them feast.

This.

Advertisement
Neither dude. Cane fan with some common sense. Why the dumb question, because there no criticism or put down or other nonsense. Waiting to see what the kid got once he is on campus starts working with the coaches and his teammates.
Its not a dumb question..Your first 4 posts is to defend an OL on an old thread that probably wasn't even on the first page. It was strange that of all the threads on this site you chose this old thread on your first day here. Only someone who knows him would sign up to CIS and begin defending him. Which is fine if you do

Then you’re in the minority cause using your theory you would’ve taken this kid as opposed to an out of shape Donaldson, or in his day an out of shape Vernon Carey. Smdh

No, I did not say you only take undersized kids. So let me clarify from what you inferred. You obviously take a local kid like Donaldson who brings more than just mere size to the table with his skill sets. With that in mind, he needed a redshirt to drop weight and get in shape. He was pressed into service too quickly out of need. Do you realize that Vernon Carey redshirted? Then backed up Bibla his redshirt freshman year. Point being so many misses around the country and why you take 4 kids each year because these kids are hard to project.

No, I did not say you only take undersized kids. So let me clarify from what you inferred. You obviously take a local kid like Donaldson who brings more than just mere size to the table with his skill sets. With that in mind, he needed a redshirt to drop weight and get in shape. He was pressed into service too quickly out of need. Do you realize that Vernon Carey redshirted? Then backed up Bibla his redshirt freshman year. Point being so many misses around the country and why you take 4 kids each year because these kids are hard to project.

I'm with you @Pentagon Cane. Further, he is using Vernon Carey which was almost 15 years ago, and based on schemes of today's offense was a century ago. With schemes nowadays, it's pulling, getting to second level and quick set and 5 set pass pro, rarely is it point of attack exclusively.

Donaldson would have and is great at 1v1 blocking but asking him to go on a island at OT and we've all seen what happens. TBH getting Donaldson was great, but his style of play is better at a UGA or U-M then here, with Enos, but with Richt is was fine but at OG.

Advertisement
Agreed, most, if not all OL are 3yr projects and even then you don’t hit on 100% of them. Give me the 6’4” 280lb T with nimble feet, athletic, and who’s nasty and aggressive all day long. I can always add more weight to him if need be. We don’t need 6’4” 320lb OL at every spot. The bigger dogs we’d want at the G spots. Then to me the T and C should be the more nimble guys on the line.

Its not a dumb question..Your first 4 posts is to defend an OL on an old thread that probably wasn't even on the first page. It was strange that of all the threads on this site you chose this old thread on your first day here. Only someone who knows him would sign up to CIS and begin defending him. Which is fine if you do
New to this site, yes. Didn’t realize there was a timeline or rules to join... didn’t realize there were rules to comment and express an opinion... so this perspective is pretty fascinating. Whatever. Despite your FBI skills, I like the Canes and don’t necessarily agree with butchering a kid without the kid having a chance. Call it be logical. Or call it what you want. Whatever🙌🏾 Go Canes!!!!

New to this site, yes. Didn’t realize there was a timeline or rules to join... didn’t realize there were rules to comment and express an opinion... so this perspective is pretty fascinating. Whatever. Despite your FBI skills, I like the Canes and don’t necessarily agree with butchering a kid without the kid having a chance. Call it be logical. Or call it what you want. Whatever🙌🏾 Go Canes!!!!

With all your might, dont claim you know an OL especially one that is a 5* over here or have a contact at the Top Athletic prep school in the country.

Agreed, most, if not all OL are 3yr projects and even then you don’t hit on 100% of them. Give me the 6’4” 280lb T with nimble feet, athletic, and who’s nasty and aggressive all day long. I can always add more weight to him if need be. We don’t need 6’4” 320lb OL at every spot. The bigger dogs we’d want at the G spots. Then to me the T and C should be the more nimble guys on the line.

I had an OL coach once tell me, he would never recruit a 320 HS OL. His reasoning is kids that big that young have lazy traits and bad eating habits.

Advertisement
I had an OL coach once tell me, he would never recruit a 320 HS OL. His reasoning is kids that big that young have lazy traits and bad eating habits.

I can imagine him saying that especially HS OL as that’s ridiculously big for that age and would probably only lead to bad habits in college to go along with the constant struggle to keep their weight in check. I would much rather get the “skinner” kids and add weight than reduce it and have them need to maintain it.

The way things work around here ElGammal and Nelson will be the 2 best OL we’ve had in a while. Everything seems to be backwards on the OL, all the highly touted guys suck and can’t see the field lately.

Advertisement
The way things work around here ElGammal and Nelson will be the 2 best OL we’ve had in a while. Everything seems to be backwards on the OL, all the highly touted guys suck and can’t see the field lately.
That is just not true at all. Scaife was the highest rated kid last class and he saw the field fast. Donaldson was the highest rated kid year before and saw the field fast also. We took no highly touted kids at all in ‘16. The best kid in the ‘15 OL class was St. Louis and he saw the field most and fastest.

These generalizations sound good in the spring but never apply in the fall. No one is turning away Carey, Flowers, Franklin, Donaldson, Leatherwood et al. Meanwhile Tallman, Barton, Loftus et al weren’t good, and they weren’t 320. The real point is evaluate better when the kids aren’t obvious.

That is just not true at all. Scaife was the highest rated kid last class and he saw the field fast. Donaldson was the highest rated kid year before and saw the field fast also. We took no highly touted kids at all in ‘16. The best kid in the ‘15 OL class was St. Louis and he saw the field most and fastest.

None mentioned have been good or as good as they were “supposed” to be. Scaife was good for a true freshman. And I know the next response is going to be “the offense” or “coaching” for obvious reasons.

But what I said was kinda sarcastic in that everyone was *****ing about taking them and then they’ll end up better than the higher touted guys we’ve landed recently. Just the way OL recruiting goes... unpredictable

Advertisement
Back