Adam ElGammal

If we had kept Tarquin and added Neal, I would have been celebrating Searels' forethought on taking these flyer kids. But you don't feature Nelson, EG and Clark as your only three HS OL recruits. That's not championship recruiting when you have zero depth for 2019 and 2020.

I read that Barry likes Nelson and that EG is a freak. Been following Geta's takes for years, so happy he likes EG. Hope that translates. But, honestly, the best case scenario any of these kids provides 1st-team snaps is 2021. There's no Jason Fox, Seantrel Henderson, Eric Winston, Erack Flowers, plug-and-play talent in this class. All high-beta kids, and Clark is a low-ceiling kid to boot. Barry has his work cut out for him.

Advertisement
If we had kept Tarquin and added Neal, I would have been celebrating Searels' forethought on taking these flyer kids. But you don't feature Nelson, EG and Clark as your only three HS OL recruits. That's not championship recruiting when you have zero depth for 2019 and 2020.

I read that Barry likes Nelson and that EG is a freak. Been following Geta's takes for years, so happy he likes EG. Hope that translates. But, honestly, the best case scenario any of these kids provides 1st-team snaps is 2021. There's no Jason Fox, Seantrel Henderson, Eric Winston, Erack Flowers, plug-and-play talent in this class. All high-beta kids, and Clark is a low-ceiling kid to boot. Barry has his work cut out for him.
Our o line recruiting has actually not been that bad. We have a bunch of 4 star linemen on the roster just have to get the best out of them

None mentioned have been good or as good as they were “supposed” to be. Scaife was good for a true freshman. And I know the next response is going to be “the offense” or “coaching” for obvious reasons.

But what I said was kinda sarcastic in that everyone was *****ing about taking them and then they’ll end up better than the higher touted guys we’ve landed recently. Just the way OL recruiting goes... unpredictable
Your comment was that our highly touted guys haven’t seen the field early. That’s not true. Our highly touted guys have been our best guys. They may not have been as good as some hope, but Scaife and Donaldson had **** good freshman years and it’s way too early for anyone to say they’re underwhelming. Most top programs, they’d have redshirted and developed. And St. louis had a solid career. He wasn’t an all conference kid, but he wasn’t a 5* recruit, either.

Your comment about elgammel and nelson just makes no sense because the lower rated kids we’ve signed recently have not been particularly good. hopefully you are right that they’re better than expected.

Taking guys that need 2 yrs to develop is perfectly fine, and should be the plan. However that plan ONLY works when you have guys that can already start and are ready to play, and you aren't also missing on every top OLineman on the recruiting board.

Imo the problem isn't getting a guy like ElGammal, it's that those are the ONLY types of recruits we got and missed out on everyone at the top of our board. Thats when it's a problem. Obviously we're starting with a fresh slate with the new staff, but our OLine recruiting needs to get WAY better.

Our o line recruiting has actually not been that bad. We have a bunch of 4 star linemen on the roster just have to get the best out of them

We completely whiffed the 2016 mulligan year, where Searels only pulled in Tre Johnson. We had two quality classes in 2017 and 2018. Then **** the bed again in 2019. I agree with you on those two back-to-back classes. But they were sandwiched by two turds. Hence the depth problems and last-minute reaches.

Different positions, but Nelson and Elgammal remind me of Shannon bringing in Jimmy Gaines and Kelvin Cain at the last minute back in the 2010. class Good raw athletes with high upsides. They filled the gap at a position of need. But they weren't Michael Barrow or Jonathan Vilma.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Signee Adam ElGammal tells CaneSport that he’s gained 38 pounds since last season, up to 298 pounds.

“It was just from training - lifting, eating,’ ElGammal said. “And it’s good weight, no fat.”

Are Cane coaches aware of his newfound physicality?

“I went just to say hey to coaches over spring break, the beginning of April, went down for fun I was weighing 293,” ElGammal said. “And now I’m 298.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here he is at around 270 6’5. Hopefully we go from zero to heroes at tackle.
EBC5C50D-CF19-429F-84C8-F52009880626.jpeg

Advertisement
Back