ACC Tournament

Advertisement
To clarify the beliefs of the board, the ACC Tournament matters when it comes to seeding, but it is not an indicator of success or failure in the real postseason.

Mississippi State and Duke proved that last year.

Seems like recency bias for them to say unc could be top 8. Didn’t we sweep them

They’ve won 15 of 17 & now tourney champs. Of course it’s recency bias. We live in a “what have u done for me lately” world.

seriously Where are you getting this from? Your argument was about the players “caring and wanting to win it all”. No one on this board said let’s go out and lose two games. It was always win one game and your probably safe as a top 8… win 2 games and you’re a lock. Anything after that is just depleting arms and bodies. I don’t recall anyone on his board saying acc tournament doesn’t matter so let’s lose 2 games
He’s misconstruing what is said every year about the ACCT. The popular saying is that it doesn’t help or hurt your seedings. Which we found out again this year, that’s simply not true.

They’ve won 15 of 17 & now tourney champs. Of course it’s recency bias. We live in a “what have u done for me lately” world.
Yeah, But you know the committee will explain some other situation and talk about how they took into account head to head series victory and gave it to the winner. Just like the basketball tournament where they cherry pick the criteria.

Advertisement
Top 8 seeds lose early every single year. That’s not a groundbreaking prediction.
Yeah, But you know the committee will explain some other situation and talk about how they took into account head to head series victory and gave it to the winner. Just like the basketball tournament where they cherry pick the criteria.
There's several criteria. UNC has #3 RPi , #2 SOS, and 9-! In their last 10 games.

Miami has head to head sweep and more aggregate ACC wins at 20-12 vs 19-15.

It come down to what the committee values more. I think recent performance and RPI are going to win out because the committee would want to have teams that are playing the best to get the better seeds.

We still could be in the top 8 because I don't think Maryland is a top 8 seed with a SOS of 108 despite and RPI of 10. Forget the name, the Big 10 is a G5 school in baseball. A 2 bid league. East Carolina should be a top 8 seed before Maryland.

Advertisement
Still 8-1 heading to Bot 6. Oklahoma has scored 8 runs while going down in order 4 of 5 innings.

Advertisement
I would refer back to 2019 and the UNC/Miami fighting for a host spot and us losing out bc they won the tourney. The only difference is they beat us 2 of 3 during the season, but we finished ahead of them in conference standings. Winning your conference tourney matters when it comes to getting a higher seed.
Good for UNC, but ND schedule wasn't ever good enough to allow them to jump us. Plus their record against tough opponents

Advertisement
the #15 team is likely going to have a harder, more vulnerable regional to get out of than the #10 and the likelihood of an upset sending a lesser team to CG for the supers is greater.

This is absolutely not true. There is no seeding after #16. It's all about geography.

As I accurately stated, national seeding mattered. A lot. The committee worked hard to balance the brackets, geography be damned. They sent the universally agreed upon best program that isn't hosting, ND, 900 miles away to the lowest seeded host as an example even though that regional was in the Deep South. There were at least six closer sites including Louisville which they could have driven to. They also sent one of the strongest #3 seeds there in Texas Tech, even though there were other much closer regionals. They could have sent #3 seed Texas Tech to College Station and #3 seed Louisiana to Statesboro. But they didn't, because the national seeds mattered, and they absolutely seeded past #16.

I'm certainly glad we earned the #6 seed instead of #8.

What you posted was incorrect.

Last edited:
As I stated, national seeding mattered. A lot. The committee worked hard to balance the brackets, geography be damned. They sent the universally agreed upon best program that isn't hosting, ND, 900 miles away to the lowest seeded host as an example even thought the regional was in the Deep South. There were at least six closer sites. They also sent one of the strongest #3 seeds there in Texas Tech, even though there were other much closer regionals. They could have sent TT to College Station and Louisiana to Statesboro. But they didn't, because the national seeds mattered, and they absolutely seeded past #16.

What you posted was incorrect.
This is certainly a welcome change and these match-ups will be much more exciting than the usual UF/Miami, UF/FSU, etc. I like how they tried to minimize the intra-conference match-ups as well.

Now, if we could just get the TV networks to realize how exciting college baseball play-offs are.

Advertisement
Back