ACC Championship Game

Nah I hear you, but I think if we actually do this, there will be multiple teams with 2 losses. I doubt it’s just us and Louisville. And the tiebreakers get wonky when it’s a 3 or more team tie. I’m definitely aware we play Louisville and since we have to win out, they’d have 2 losses for sure at least.

I just think let’s have VT beat them this weekend, we beat them in a few weeks, and they’re done.

But again, I don’t think it’s a no-brainer answer. You can make a case to have UL beat VT since VT only has 1 loss and we don’t play them. Bottom line, VT has to lose a game for us to catch them. So I can see the argument that it’d be better for them to catch the L now.
In the event of a 3+ team tie, it is actually in our interest for Louisville to be one of those teams. Because one of the first tie breakers with 3 teams if not everyone has played eachother is win% against common opponents. So teams that have a tie breaker over us are UNC and GTech. So say Us, UNC, and Louisville all have 2 conference losses. The common opponents would be UVA, NCSt, and GTech. So that first tie breaker would eliminate UNC since they have worst win% against common opponents. From there it'd be between us and Louisville where we'd have H2H win. So in a scenario where its GTech, UNC, or both tied with us, we want someone like Louisville to be in the mix too.

Making it simple:
We want Us, Clemson, and UVA to win out.

Advertisement
I think it’s better for us if VT loses. They are rolling lately and the last few games on their schedule ain't exactly murderer’s row.
It’s bananas to think a few weeks ago someone could say this with a straight face, but you might be right

ACC man. Friggin ACC.

In the event of a 3+ team tie, it is actually in our interest for Louisville to be one of those teams. Because one of the first tie breakers with 3 teams if not everyone has played eachother is win% against common opponents. So teams that have a tie breaker over us are UNC and GTech. So say Us, UNC, and Louisville all have 2 conference losses. The common opponents would be UVA, NCSt, and GTech. So that first tie breaker would eliminate UNC since they have worst win% against common opponents. From there it'd be between us and Louisville where we'd have H2H win. So in a scenario where its GTech, UNC, or both tied with us, we want someone like Louisville to be in the mix too.

Making it simple:
We want Us, Clemson, and UVA to win out.

There's a little more to it but yeah, I hear you, and you make a good point.

I think just, again it's pretty odd for being this late in the season, but there really are no "must haves" for us other than us winning.

If we win, I'll do this again next week, and there are definitely more games the weekend we play FSU where we'll have genuine rooting interest.

But for now, go to Raleigh and get a win, and we'll go from there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back