Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Feeley was with FIU under Cristobal, so there is a relationship already there.

There’s no shame in canning Feld, admitting a mistake was made and bringing back Feeley.

Will it happen? Absolutely not. Because our HC is a stubborn man.

Why would Feeley come back? He was given his walking papers and landed on his feet just fine at Duke.

Advertisement
I do get that, and I can see where neglecting certain muscles or motions could be an issue. But when I see TVD slammed to the ground on his elbow then get up holding his shoulder, I can't connect that to S&C. All I've ever asked for is some connection, especially if you're going to come on here to take a victory lap.

None of that is defending Feld and too many injuries is absolutely a concern.
Agreed. There ARE going to be football injuries. No one is disputing that. TVD is a pure football injury. The concern is the non-contact stuff and the ACLs. Like, didn't Campbell pull a muscle in warm-ups?!

I do get that, and I can see where neglecting certain muscles or motions could be an issue. But when I see TVD slammed to the ground on his elbow then get up holding his shoulder, I can't connect that to S&C. All I've ever asked for is some connection, especially if you're going to come on here to take a victory lap.

None of that is defending Feld and too many injuries is absolutely a concern.
Van Dyke I'm more concerned re the medical staff for clearing him only for him to re-injure himself every game in a few minutes of time.

Broken hands happen- it ain't ballet

Some injuries will be due to Mario's #GrindSZN mentality. 150 play scrimmages, "extra practice" after games, etc. That mentality of "no sleep til bowl game" will lead to injuries. Also is partially why Miami looks slow and lacking power at the contact point- they can't adapt if they're in a sympathetic state 24-7.

Soft tissue is typically on the S&C staff (although practice loads, lack of recovery/rest, etc is an issue, too).

Moral of the story- College football is a LONG season and Mario's mentality burned the steak in August

Agreed. There ARE going to be football injuries. No one is disputing that. TVD is a pure football injury. The concern is the non-contact stuff and the ACLs. Like, didn't Campbell pull a muscle in warm-ups?!
Which is absolutely troubling. But the question is how many and how does that compare to the norm. It's hard for us to find out because they keep that info to themselves.

Advertisement
@Rugby_guy Started following you when you first posted on the board. I know this is your shtick based on the twitter trolling but on a serious note Mario brought in a few others to add to this part of the operation. Namely Eric Renaghan out of the NHL. Any insight on him or the programs he's been involved with? The hope here is they have imput and fix some things you don't agree on with Feld.

You could have the second coming of christ in strength and conditioning form in your ear, but if you don't want to listen, it won't matter.

But riddle me this:

Eric is the sport science and load management expert.

Bryan Mann is the strength and power expert.

From what I can tell Les Spellman was paid a bag to consult on and write the speed.

Isn't this the job of the head of performance? 👀👀

If I was a cynical man I'd say they were bought in around someone to disguise the fact that 400k was needlessly spent in the name of nepotism.

Look, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of an S&C discussion on a message board. Otherwise, 48 pages of argument. If you don't agree that: (1) injuries were worse than last year and worse than what we've seen the last 3-5 years; and (2) this topic was raised prior to the season and a potential criticism of Mario's Oregon tenure and voila, it happens here . . . and that that alone raises a question as to why, then there's no point in extending this thread 58 more pages.

Numbers would help the discussion. Otherwise, we’re just opining without any real substantiation.

I’m not making any claims one way or the other, I’m just asking for a modicum of real and comparative data, rather than “let’s get this guy, too many injuries”. I don’t think my position is unreasonable.

You could have the second coming of christ in strength and conditioning form in your ear, but if you don't want to listen, it won't matter.

But riddle me this:

Eric is the sport science and load management expert.

Bryan Mann is the strength and power expert.

From what I can tell Les Spellman was paid a bag to consult on and write the speed.

Isn't this the job of the head of performance? 👀👀

If I was a cynical man I'd say they were bought in around someone to disguise the fact that 400k was needlessly spent in the name of nepotism.

Honestly feel sorry for you and wish you the best.

If I can make one suggestion, focus on your career and not what other men are making. You’ll never get anywhere that way.

Your problem is whoever writes the practice scripts. Go run 150 plays and do 10 sets of squats, you'll **** everyone up. Go run 150 plays and do 5 sets of squat, they're still ****ed. The strength coach is a passenger in a car being driven by chimps, he's responsible for the design of the cup holder, but if the car crashes it's still his fault. No wonder people hitch themselves to powerful people and just ride it to the top.

Advertisement
Honestly feel sorry for you and wish you the best.

If I can make one suggestion, focus on your career and not what other men are making. You’ll never get anywhere that way.
Like top 4 in the world in one sport, get bored, then start again from scratch in another sport in another country for fun, and run a department within 9 months? Thank you for the career advice.

Your problem is whoever writes the practice scripts. Go run 150 plays and do 10 sets of squats, you'll **** everyone up. Go run 150 plays and do 5 sets of squat, they're still ****ed. The strength coach is a passenger in a car being driven by chimps, he's responsible for the design of the cup holder, but if the car crashes it's still his fault. No wonder people hitch themselves to powerful people and just ride it to the top.
You're not a fan of Feld, but do you think Cristobal's practice schedule is the bigger problem?

Like top 4 in the world in one sport, get bored, then start again from scratch in another sport in another country for fun, and run a department within 9 months? Thank you for the career advice.
You’re not a real man if you can touch your elbows together. Get juicier!

Advertisement
They had refrigerated storage containers at practice for the players to cool down afterwards. Are you saying they're required to do their workouts after practices?

Advertisement
Just adding to the above

Before numbers there's no real question as to what context there even is to examine.

1) Is it more severe injuries?
2) More light injuries (however defined) where more guys are getting hurt and it affects their play but not for long periods of time?

What kind on the above? Practice-based? Game-based? Trend on part of the body?

What is the expected number of injuries or type of injuries historically on the team? How far back do we care? In CFB in general? Does any particular pattern hold with moustache in comparison to the rest of CFB at the same point in time?

Also as Alexcane mentioned it seems that Cristobal and not Feld is the actual issue?

This is all really confusing.

I know a ton of stuff can't change in one off season, but I saw zero improvement whatsoever. Not a little improvement, nope, in fact I would say we went backwards.

The fact Mario dumped feeley for this guy, and then got duped with the gattis hire. It's just such a bad sign man, like he is just totally out of the loop.

Dude needs to go, we look softer than ever and someone's simply gotta go. In fact, gimme rugbycoach at this point since our program is straight out of a sci Fi flick in it's current state

You're not a fan of Feld, but do you think Cristobal's practice schedule is the bigger problem?
Unquestionably. Count every step, cut, jump, cut, hit on the field as a rep. Count every weight lifted as a rep. You're probably looking at several thousand reps per week vs. a few hundred. What do you think is the bigger drain on recovery? You can't outlift stupid practice habits.

They had refrigerated storage containers at practice for the players to cool down afterwards. Are you saying they're required to do their workouts after practices?
That would be the smart way to do it but even if not the effect is cumulative. You can't try twice as hard to have a baby in 4.5 months or sleep extra hard and function on 3 hours a night. There are fixed rates to what the body is capable of. Either respect them or face the consequences. The adaptive capacity of the human body is fixed, whereas human stupidity is limitless.

Advertisement
Back