Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Advertisement
I liked Feeley too, but everyone around here hated him because he wasn't able to turn guys like Pope into Megatron. "Our guys look small out there! Why are we so slow off the ball?!"

Because he's a strength coach, not a wizard. He can't turn 3-stars into 5-stars. He did well with what he was given and our non-contact injuries were pretty low.

Also I'm told he implemented some aspects of PAP training which made me instantly like him since that's what some of my research in grad school was around. :love:
If you had to pick three things in the current training program that are likely leading to injuries, what would they likely be? @Rugby_guy

I’ve always been high on Feeley. He was left a mess by Felder and did his best to clean it up.

I actually asked in this very thread last year if it would be possible to somehow keep Feeley aboard after the Feld hire.

Rugby Guy also mentioned that Feeley is highly respected in the industry.

View attachment 216823
Felder was terrible. Feeley was much better and players had better conditioning.

The injuries this year are a major concern.

Advertisement
I'm done worrying about this ****.

Just keep recruiting good players.

If the injuries continue to be a problem, then send Feld to some S&C workshop or some ****.

Felder was terrible. Feeley was much better and players had better conditioning.

The injuries this year are a major concern.
And Gattis is responsible for many of the injuries with his play calling.

Gattis did nothing to protect TVD or Jacurri last night.

It’s a check with me system. He doesn’t check out of plays in which the QB is about to get killed or where he’s not running the ball into a pile of defenders.

There were neck injuries with Feely and I liked him as a trainer and still do. But RBs we’re still hurt last year as was every other position (Mallory, Arroyo, Zion, Clark, Rique, Chase Smith, Steede, etc).

A lot of amnesia going on here in terms of injuries.

Advertisement
Bubba Bolden injury plus list of other players from last year:

1669605036506.png

And Gattis is responsible for many of the injuries with his play calling.

Gattis did nothing to protect TVD or Jacurri last night.

It’s a check with me system. He doesn’t check out of plays in which the QB is about to get killed or where he’s not running the ball into a pile of defenders.

There were neck injuries with Feely and I liked him as a trainer and still do. But RBs we’re still hurt last year as was every other position (Mallory, Arroyo, Zion, Clark, Rique, Chase Smith, Steede, etc).

A lot of amnesia going on here in terms of injuries.
I agree with that also. Just saying im going to keep my eye on the injuries because Oregon had the same issue last year. Hopefully its a freak thing but worth monitoring.

I agree with that also. Just saying im going to keep my eye on the injuries because Oregon had the same issue last year. Hopefully its a freak thing but worth monitoring.
That’s a fair approach but for @nystateofmind @Rugby_guy and @AlphaMarshan to come out and just overtly dunk on Feld while drinking tea as if they know all of the injuries that have occurred this season is the fault of Feld is just a bit over reactionary to me at this point in the process.

All three came out here spiking the ball and doing a touchdown dance.

Stefon Diggs Football GIF by Minnesota Vikings

Advertisement
The team was decimated by injuries this year. It certainly impacted our performance.

The fact that knowledgeable posters like AlphaMarshan expressed concern about Feld prior to the season is troubling.

I don‘t care if Feld is a “look at me” self-promoting personality; however, it is fair to criticize and further evaluate his training programs as we experienced an incredibly high number of non-contact, soft tissue injuries.

Last edited:
That’s a fair approach but for @nystateofmind @Rugby_guy and @AlphaMarshan to come out and just overtly dunk on Feld while drinking tea as if they know all of the injuries that have occurred this season is the fault of Feld is just a bit over reactionary to me at this point in the process.

Stefon Diggs Football GIF by Minnesota Vikings

You literally have to compare team to team injuries, what kind of injuries, and then do this over several years. Then, you have to prove that something was missing, or overdone, or just find a scientific and provable correlation between the reported injuries, and strength and conditioning training.

It’s called science. It’s not “I think we have a bad S&C guy and that’s why we had a lot of injuries”.

The team was decimated by injuries this year. It certainly impacted our performance.

The fact that knowledgeable posters like AlphaMarshan expressed concern about Feld prior to the season is troubling.

I don‘t care if Feld is a “look at me” self-promoting personality; however, it is fair to criticize and further evaluate his training programs as the number of non-contact soft tissue issues we experienced this year is incredibly high.
Fair.

So, Non-contact tissue injuries: hammies, ankles, ligaments, etc?

I saw a lot of those ankle injuries in person at the games. Getting rolled up on ankles, ACL tears due to cuts or getting hit, I don’t think you can blame that on Feld.

George got a broken hand blocking in the A&M game. X broke his foot.

I didn’t see a lot of hamstring or groin injuries but correct me if I am wrong.

I would say my bigger concern is the medical staff clearing dudes to play early that might not be ready like TVD, Clark, etc.

Last edited:
Advertisement

You literally have to compare team to team injuries, what kind of injuries, and then do this over several years. Then, you have to prove that something was missing, or overdone, or just find a scientific and provable correlation between the reported injuries, and strength and conditioning training.

It’s called science. It’s not “I think we have a bad S&C guy and that’s why we had a lot of injuries”.

Woah, timeout. For my part, I never once came out and "dunked" on him or danced because "I called it." Read what I wrote in the same thread:
I'm pretty cognizant of what I say. If you'd read what I actually said, I never once insinuated he was incompetent or that he should be fired. I merely pointed out a strong correlation for Feld and injuries that makes me suspicious, even if I don't have a causal link.

Even the Oregon fan right above me confirms their injuries have magically vanished since he's been gone, and they have a new coaching staff. It's enough to warrant suspicion.

Also, we can't get a list of injured players and what their injuries are as they don't make them available to the public. Just like I don't know what his programming is since they don't make that available to the public either.

My point is that we never had injuries to this degree under Feeley, but everyone wants to throw their hands up and say "we're cursed" when stuff like this happens. We're not cursed, there's a rational explanation for a rise in injuries, and I want to know what it is, but I'll be the first to tell you I don't have hard proof. But something isn't right. Guys shouldn't be dropping during warm-ups, for God's sake.
It's funny to me how a guy who doesn't even know the difference between "you're" and "your" is calling everyone else's arguments "dumb" while you continue to strawman the issue. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but now you're just being an ***.

First of all, you continue to say there's "ZERO EVIDENCE." That isn't true, we do have some anecdotal evidence. We don't have access to the hard data but we do have an uptick in non-contact injuries as multiple people in this thread have laid out for you. Again, no one is saying Feld needs to be fired or put in jail, I'm simply saying this is a cause for concern. I've already told you that the sample size isn't large enough to draw any specific conclusions, but you keep harping on and on about it like I and others didn't think of it or something. I promise you that I understand the null hypothesis in statistics better than you do.

Also, in literally the original post starting this thread, I laid out videos where we can draw out some of Feld's training philosophies. Literally the first ******* post. So just because I'm not actually in the Hecht watching him work and reading his programming, I can still infer my own conclusions about the kind of training he does. And I can also make comparisons to the last S&C coach we had, and the injuries we had under him. We never had guys dropping and tearing **** during warm-ups. There are simply more injuries this year, both contact and non-contact injuries, than there were last year. There are no official reports listed to the public but I don't need one, I know it to be true. Half our ******* team is hurt dude. And so was Oregon's last year, and now, miraculously, they have way fewer injuries than they did previously.

Maybe it's the way Mario makes them practice. Maybe it's Feld's lack of proper programming. Maybe morale is low and nobody is sleeping well. Maybe guys don't give a **** so they're eating McDonald's and drinking liquor every night. Maybe it's a combination of everything.

That doesn't make anyone in this thread wrong for being concerned about the injuries. There are too many variables to say for sure what the cause is, but Feld is part of that equation, whether you like it or not. And all of this has already been laid out and explained to you beforehand, so stop acting like we all wanna throw Feld in jail with "ZERO EVIDENCE" because that's not the case and you know it.

I clearly acknowledged that I don't have enough evidence to make a causal link, only that the uptick is a cause for concern and it's something we should keep our eyes on.

Woah, timeout. For my part, I never once came out and "dunked" on him or danced because "I called it." Read what I wrote in the same thread:

I clearly acknowledged that I don't have enough evidence to make a causal link, only that the uptick is a cause for concern and it's something we should keep our eyes on.
I take back what I said on you dunking on Feld.

I better understand your point and we have all seen all of the injuries pile up but there are also a lot of in game injuries (TVD or Jacurri) for instance, on Feld. Those to me where in Gattis.

I’m also on Gattis, a ton of Red-zone injuries (one home game, back to back ankle injuries due to running the ball straight into a pile) that resulted in long term ankle injuries and so many more.

Agree that it bears watching but I also posted above injuries to this team that were significant last year under Feely.

It is correct that there is no evidence that has been posited in this entire thread that shows any causal link. You don’t have to be a S&C expert to know that.

I’m still waiting for any evidence.

Otherwise, this thread is about a failed coach who apparently doesn’t know how to network for employment, coming here and crying about how much money other men make.

Advertisement
Back