Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Just adding to the above

Before numbers there's no real question as to what context there even is to examine.

1) Is it more severe injuries?
2) More light injuries (however defined) where more guys are getting hurt and it affects their play but not for long periods of time?

What kind on the above? Practice-based? Game-based? Trend on part of the body?

What is the expected number of injuries or type of injuries historically on the team? How far back do we care? In CFB in general? Does any particular pattern hold with moustache in comparison to the rest of CFB at the same point in time?

Also as Alexcane mentioned it seems that Cristobal and not Feld is the actual issue?

This is all really confusing.
There is for sure research about injury trends following head coaches in soccer. Coach arrives, injuries spike, coach leaves, they drop. No reason to believe the same is not true in football or other sports.

Within any data set year to year there is statistical noise, so you're only able to infer the degree to how unusual a spike is.

You have one stress response- it all exerts a toll- practice, games, conditioning, lifting, life stress.

If one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, you can easily break people while every athlete stakeholder thinks he's doing a great job.

The metrics you'd be wanting pay attention to are man-hours lost due to soft tissue injury, frequency, severity and % reinjury rate.

Ultimately if you have someone with no formal knowledge or training (every head coach ever), you're relying on their ability to take advice and listen to stay the course. If the horse won't drink....

Advertisement
That’s a fair approach but for @nystateofmind @Rugby_guy and @AlphaMarshan to come out and just overtly dunk on Feld while drinking tea as if they know all of the injuries that have occurred this season is the fault of Feld is just a bit over reactionary to me at this point in the process.

All three came out here spiking the ball and doing a touchdown dance.

Stefon Diggs Football GIF by Minnesota Vikings

First off, heeeelarious. Second, thank u for also bringing up the rash of injuries we had under Feeley. Most know, I wasn’t a fan of his, either. Let me be clear though, I’m w/ @crossover22[]_[] on this one; these issues existed at his previous stop, too. I ?’d Feld & was clear that I preferred him to stay back:
👇🏾

However, b/c the board vouched, I softened my stance & said I wouldn’t have a problem w/ him coming; but, I made it clear he wasn’t my first choice. That was two fold:

1. It appears Feld has become more gimmick than substance.

2. I wasn’t a fan of the continuous injuries that piled up at UO under his watch.

Moving fwd, I would prefer we get a seasoned S&C coach or a certified, trusted S&C assistant coach from an established power, looking to lead their own program.

First off, heeeelarious. Second, thank u for also bringing up the rash of injuries we had under Feeley. Most know, I wasn’t a fan of his, either. Let me be clear though, I’m w/ @crossover22[]_[] on this one; these issues existed at his previous stop, too. I ?’d Feld & was clear that I preferred him to stay back:
👇🏾

However, b/c the board vouched, I softened my stance & said I wouldn’t have a problem w/ him coming; but, I made it clear he wasn’t my first choice. That was two fold:

2. I wasn’t a fan of the continuous injuries that piled up at UO under his watch.

Moving fwd, I would prefer we get a seasoned S&C coach or a certified, trusted S&C assistant coach from an established power, looking to lead their own program.
Yea i went and read the oregon boards before feld was hired. Alot of questions dealing with injury and they were pretty happy he left.

Then we see the injuries this season.

Who knows, maybe its some fluke thing but if it continues i would lean towards feld is doing something wrong and we need to go in another direction.

But will mario think that way?

There is for sure research about injury trends following head coaches in soccer. Coach arrives, injuries spike, coach leaves, they drop. No reason to believe the same is not true in football or other sports.

Within any data set year to year there is statistical noise, so you're only able to infer the degree to how unusual a spike is.

You have one stress response- it all exerts a toll- practice, games, conditioning, lifting, life stress.

If one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, you can easily break people while every athlete stakeholder thinks he's doing a great job.

The metrics you'd be wanting pay attention to are man-hours lost due to soft tissue injury, frequency, severity and % reinjury rate.

Ultimately if you have someone with no formal knowledge or training (every head coach ever), you're relying on their ability to take advice and listen to stay the course. If the horse won't drink....
Thanks for clarifying what actually (or I'm assuming usually) gets measured in general to assess.

So, going back to the original point of this thread (I think), are you saying there is a confirmed disparity between other programs v. our current program in man hours lost overall (and/or due to factor(s) you mentioned)? Or some kind of general disparity (or net increase in man hours lost) in our program this year versus our program in historical years?

One question: can there be a cost-benefit utility tradeoff in man hours lost with respect to strength, speed, explosion, agility gains on the roster? In other words, what if the man hours lost are greater, but the overall net benefit in team attributes I just mentioned far outweighs that from prior years (or current programs in the same year)?

Advertisement
👇🏾

Has anyone been following Oregon this year and can compare the injuries of this year under a new staff compared to under Feld?

What is Miami's injury rate compared to the rest of the conference? Are these fluke injuries or a common theme over each position group due to over use by the way the practice and lack of recovery?

The staff has all of that info and going into year 2 should be making the adjustments to offseason lifts, Mat drills and practice sessions to try and minimalize certain injuries.

Has anyone been following Oregon this year and can compare the injuries of this year under a new staff compared to under Feld?

What is Miami's injury rate compared to the rest of the conference? Are these fluke injuries or a common theme over each position group due to over use by the way the practice and lack of recovery?

The staff has all of that info and going into year 2 should be making the adjustments to offseason lifts, Mat drills and practice sessions to try and minimalize certain injuries.

I have, & @Rugby_guy posted one of my receipts. Lol. There’s been a significant down turn of injuries at UO this yr. That’s either a crazy coincidence or….

I have, & @Rugby_guy posted one of my receipts. Lol. There’s been a significant down turn of injuries at UO this yr. That’s either a crazy coincidence or….
That could be considered empirical evidence. However, an in depth analysis, practically impossible as the data would most certainly not be shared, would shed more light. There are no doubt dozens of variables.

Advertisement
How many years was Feld in charge at UO? Like 3? How long until injuries “coincidentally” started reaching critical level? Cause seems like people only want to talk about his final year there. How come everyone here is using like 3-6 months (all our off-season injuries) as evidence of Feld being poor here if the same didn’t happen at UO until he and Mario’s final year? How long do players need to be in a new S&C program before we start blaming the new S&C staff for lower extremity injuries? A week? A month? A quarter? A yr?…. People need to actually decide what the argument and accusation actually is imo.

People have no evidence for any of this having anything to do with the actual S&C program. Literally not a single person has actually posted anything detailing what is wrong with specific exercises or lifting under Feld. I haven’t actually seen any real criticism except using injuries which can absolutely be random or a result of tougher practice as the defining evidence. Like the entirely of the complaints have been about at his WWE Esque personality.

How many years was Feld in charge at UO? Like 3? How long until injuries “coincidentally” started reaching critical level? Cause seems like people only want to talk about his final year there. How come everyone here is using like 3-6 months (all our off-season injuries) as evidence of Feld being poor here if the same didn’t happen at UO until he and Mario’s final year? How long do players need to be in a new S&C program before we start blaming the new S&C staff for lower extremity injuries? A week? A month? A quarter? A yr?…. People need to actually decide what the argument and accusation actually is imo.

People have no evidence for any of this having anything to do with the actual S&C program. Literally not a single person has actually posted anything detailing what is wrong with specific exercises or lifting under Feld. I haven’t actually seen any real criticism except using injuries which can absolutely be random or a result of tougher practice as the defining evidence. Like the entirely of the complaints have been about at his WWE Esque personality.

Science hasn’t been a strong point in this entire thread.

You could have the second coming of christ in strength and conditioning form in your ear, but if you don't want to listen, it won't matter.

But riddle me this:

Eric is the sport science and load management expert.

Bryan Mann is the strength and power expert.

From what I can tell Les Spellman was paid a bag to consult on and write the speed.

Isn't this the job of the head of performance? 👀👀

If I was a cynical man I'd say they were bought in around someone to disguise the fact that 400k was needlessly spent in the name of nepotism.
Feld and Cristobal are related??

Next we can have a scientific discussion about how HRS is cursed by the ghosts of ancient aliens.

Advertisement

The problem is football is a contact sport, however it is worth noting that since 2018:

-Sewell
-Sewell
-K Thibs
-CJ Verdell
-Flowe
-Faoliu
-Apelu
-Slade-Matautia
-Dillon
-Hill
-Pickett
-Pittman
-McCormick
-Webb
-Jackson

All missed several games or the year due to injuries, & this is only from 2018-2020 off the top of the dome & I know I’m missing more. Do I recall UO dealing w/ these types of losses prior to? No. Can we say definitively that Feld is the reason? No. Football is a contact sport, & injuries occur all the time whether in game or in practice. It’s just too much of a coincidence to see Flowe healthy for the first time since he’s been at UO, never being injured in HS, along w/ Baby Sewell. Also, Pittman hasn’t missed a game at FSU.

These r just crazy coincidences.

Advertisement
The problem is football is a contact sport, however it is worth noting that since 2018:

-Sewell
-Sewell
-K Thibs
-CJ Verdell
-Flowe
-Faoliu
-Apelu
-Slade-Matautia
-Dillon
-Hill
-Pickett
-Pittman
-McCormick
-Webb
-Jackson

All missed several games or the year due to injuries, & this is only from 2018-2020 off the top of the dome & I know I’m missing more. Do I recall UO dealing w/ these types of losses prior to? No. Can we say definitively that Feld is the reason? No. Football is a contact sport, & injuries occur all the time whether in game or in practice. It’s just too much of a coincidence to see Flowe healthy for the first time since he’s been at UO, never being injured in HS, along w/ Baby Sewell. Also, Pittman hasn’t missed a game at FSU.

These r just crazy coincidences.
There’s plenty of data to suggest feld needs to look in the mirror. UO player injuries seem to be notably down, UM injuries are notably up. This isn’t rocket science. Randomness can explain one of those things, but both is a stretch.

Advertisement
Back