Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Fair.

So, Non-contact tissue injuries: hankies, ankles, ligaments, etc?

I saw a lot of those ankle injuries in person at the games. Getting rolled up on ankles, ACL tears due to cuts or getting hit, I don’t think you can blame that on Feld.

George got a broken hand blocking in the A&M game. X broke his foot.

I didn’t see a lot of hamstrung or growing injuries but correct me if I am wrong.

I would say my bigger concern is the medical staff clearing dudes to play early that might not be ready like TVD, Clark, etc.
I’m not an expert, but I believe you can train specifically to reduce some of these injuries. I believe AlphaMarshan discussed this in some detail when Feld was hired. If I recall correctly, Feld was criticized for failing to include certain exercises that diminish the likelihood of non-contact injuries.

I could be wrong (probably am), but players under Feld had a higher propensity for these sort of injuries.

Advertisement
@AlphaMarshan and I were fairly active in a thread a month or so ago on this topic. None of us have “evidence.” That’s acknowledged. ****, in some instances, we don’t even know what the injury was. That said, there is enough there to at least be concerned and keep an eye out for this next season. I hope this season is an anomaly but it’s-at a minimum-a concern. I’ll refrain from calling it a trend.

The good news is that we have a sport science guy who should be all over this topic this off-season.

@AlphaMarshan and I were fairly active in a thread a month or so ago on this topic. None of us have “evidence.” That’s acknowledged. ****, in some instances, we don’t even know what the injury was. That said, there is enough there to at least be concerned and keep an eye out for this next season. I hope this season is an anomaly but it’s-at a minimum-a concern. I’ll refrain from calling it a trend.

The good news is that we have a sport science guy who should be all over this topic this off-season.

The question is, and I’m not saying I know the answer, how do we even know this season is an anomaly? To say it’s an anomaly would mean that you have at least some modicum of statistical comparison with other seasons, to include other programs to compare to.

Yes, qualitatively speaking, we seemingly had quite a few injuries this season. I just can’t wrap my mind at all around how you take the randomness out of it. Scientifically that is.

Feld is an easy target for guys who don’t have the S&C knowledge. He has a mustache and they see the 45 day challenge. God forbid for 45 days he tries to use his influence to raise money for a good cause. You know how many times he’s posted on Instagram since august…1 time. To promote a sports science position within the Miami offices. On Twitter he has about 6 tweets.

Not saying he isn’t a problem…but 11 months in to year 1 in a field that results don’t just happen overnight in I think we have much bigger and obvious issues that need to be handled.

The FSU game spoke volumes. A team full of transfers was bigger and stronger, pushing around the UM line at the goal line, as if they were weaklings.

The excessive amount of knee injuries is an indication of training imbalance in the musculoskeletal chain.

Feld needs to go.

Advertisement
Regardless of what you think of the this dust up, Feld leaves alot to be desired.

Those Oregon squads were not that physical and were riddled w injuries. Ppl talked about how they outmuscled OSU, but we saw when OSU went up against Meechigan they were a soft, finesse team.

Stanford and Utah handled those Oregon lines.

If Feld comes, hes gotta step his game up.
It was clear as day if you were looking.

Feld aint never been it.

The question is, and I’m not saying I know the answer, how do we even know this season is an anomaly? To say it’s an anomaly would mean that you have at least some modicum of statistical comparison with other seasons, to include other programs to compare to.

Yes, qualitatively speaking, we seemingly had quite a few injuries this season. I just can’t wrap my mind at all around how you take the randomness out of it. Scientifically that is.
@AlphaMarshan addressed that in the other thread I discussed. In short, there's no statistical evidence that can be provided and compared to other programs. That data isn't available. But to put it simply, this was a topic that was addressed before the season and a criticism that Oregon fans had of MC. Maybe we had bad luck, but this season sure seemed worse than last year.

Feld is an easy target for guys who don’t have the S&C knowledge. He has a mustache and they see the 45 day challenge. God forbid for 45 days he tries to use his influence to raise money for a good cause. You know how many times he’s posted on Instagram since august…1 time. To promote a sports science position within the Miami offices. On Twitter he has about 6 tweets.

Not saying he isn’t a problem…but 11 months in to year 1 in a field that results don’t just happen overnight in I think we have much bigger and obvious issues that need to be handled.
Sure. And I think everyone agrees that this is down towards the bottom of our current issues.

But, look, to put it simply. I know some folks-plural-in the S&C academia community whom I trust and are appropriately credentialed who were not fans of the Feld hire. Folks in an industry tend to know who's good and who's not and they weren't exactly thrilled. Just as comparison, in the past when I've asked them about Swasey, Felder, and Feeley they were critical of the 1st 2-in particular, Gus-but they were fans of Feeley.

@AlphaMarshan addressed that in the other thread I discussed. In short, there's no statistical evidence that can be provided and compared to other programs. That data isn't available. But to put it simply, this was a topic that was addressed before the season and a criticism that Oregon fans had of MC. Maybe we had bad luck, but this season sure seemed worse than last year.

So, no data points upon which to make a medical/scientific claim.

Yet claims are being made right and left in this thread, as if they are facts.

Unless forced to by more posting nonsense, I won’t even get further into the personal aspects of the main character making the claims in this thread, because I don’t want to be a cruel SOB. But it’s out there.

Advertisement
So, no data points upon which to make a medical/scientific claim.

Yet claims are being made right and left in this thread, as if they are facts.

Unless forced to by more posting nonsense, I won’t even get further into the personal aspects of the main character making the claims in this thread, because I don’t want to be a cruel SOB. But it’s out there.
I don't think anyone is stating anything as a fact. It's a concern. That's all that can really be said about it. There are just a few other red flags that tend to heighten the awareness of this topic.

I don't think anyone is stating anything as a fact. It's a concern. That's all that can really be said about it. There are just a few other red flags that tend to heighten the awareness of this topic.

Not true at all. Just above you, someone stated “clear as day”.

Also, plenty of implications are being made based on literally zero provable facts.

Not even correlations are being provided, and as you already know, in science, correlation is NOT causation. But we don’t even have correlations to discuss.

See, here's the thing. You and @AlphaMarshan are long time posters and with that comes a bit of credibility. If either of you express concerns, people take notice. @Rugby_guy came in with a very obvious chip on his shoulder and all of his posts are Feld related. That's personal.

I don't think anyone here has a vested interest in defending Feld if these claims are true, but asking for evidence isn't unreasonable.

Not true at all. Just above you, someone stated “clear as day”.

Also, plenty of implications are being made based on literally zero provable facts.

Not even correlations are being provided, and as you already know, in science, correlation is NOT causation. But we don’t even have correlations to discuss.
Look, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of an S&C discussion on a message board. Otherwise, 48 pages of argument. If you don't agree that: (1) injuries were worse than last year and worse than what we've seen the last 3-5 years; and (2) this topic was raised prior to the season and a potential criticism of Mario's Oregon tenure and voila, it happens here . . . and that that alone raises a question as to why, then there's no point in extending this thread 58 more pages.

Advertisement
@Rugby_guy Started following you when you first posted on the board. I know this is your shtick based on the twitter trolling but on a serious note Mario brought in a few others to add to this part of the operation. Namely Eric Renaghan out of the NHL. Any insight on him or the programs he's been involved with? The hope here is they have imput and fix some things you don't agree on with Feld.

I liked Feeley too, but everyone around here hated him because he wasn't able to turn guys like Pope into Megatron. "Our guys look small out there! Why are we so slow off the ball?!"

Because he's a strength coach, not a wizard. He can't turn 3-stars into 5-stars. He did well with what he was given and our non-contact injuries were pretty low.

Also I'm told he implemented some aspects of PAP training which made me instantly like him since that's what some of my research in grad school was around. :love:
Kurt Hester turns no stars into NFL players. Why can't Feld turn 3's into 5's?

See, here's the thing. You and @AlphaMarshan are long time posters and with that comes a bit of credibility. If either of you express concerns, people take notice. @Rugby_guy came in with a very obvious chip on his shoulder and all of his posts are Feld related. That's personal.

I don't think anyone here has a vested interest in defending Feld if these claims are true, but asking for evidence isn't unreasonable.
Sure. But at the same time, asking for evidence is somewhat unreasonable because there is no way to actually compile injury lists, compare it to other schools, assess how and why player x was injured, etc. That's impossible. Injuries here are a virtual state secret. (Do we even know what happened to Arroyo?!) That's why at least @AlphaMarshan and I haven't really gone much further than to say it's a concern (or at least a topic of discussion).

And for the record, @AlphaMarshan has a Master's (IIRC) in S&C so there's credence to what he has to say on this topic.

Advertisement
formacion-lospumas-rugbychampionship-2022.jpg

Sure. But at the same time, asking for evidence is somewhat unreasonable because there is no way to actually compile injury lists, compare it to other schools, assess how and why player x was injured, etc. That's impossible. Injuries here are a virtual state secret. (Do we even know what happened to Arroyo?!) That's why at least @AlphaMarshan and I haven't really gone much further than to say it's a concern (or at least a topic of discussion).

And for the record, @AlphaMarshan has a Master's (IIRC) in S&C so there's credence to what he has to say on this topic.
I do get that, and I can see where neglecting certain muscles or motions could be an issue. But when I see TVD slammed to the ground on his elbow then get up holding his shoulder, I can't connect that to S&C. All I've ever asked for is some connection, especially if you're going to come on here to take a victory lap.

None of that is defending Feld and too many injuries is absolutely a concern.

Fill the sleeves challenge. That is all.

Fire a guy for spending 5 min a day to raise money for the Special Olympics??

Don't understand how you and others are so upset with that. He's been doing it since '18.

God forbid Miami has S&C coaches that like to workout and aren't 400 lbs

Advertisement
Back