A word...

IndayArtHauz

Knoxville Baby Maker
Administrator
Below is the rock I will boldly jump off, into the shimmering waters off the coast of “south beach”.

So the 40K post guy fights with 2 of my best board friends regularly and insults a couple others I’m friends with. I also am good friends with those guys while my political views are not theirs.

In fairness, I’ve already stated that @IndayArtHauz is the best most fair person to deal with politics and race. Some of the things are easy calls. Others I have to stay out of.

Quoting RVA because it illustrates something I've been thinking about lately, regarding why there seems to be so many issues on the site right now. So here’s my piece of moldy cheesecake on the last few months, as a mod:

This place has sucked. Badly and progressively. It makes me long for the days of debating the 2-gap 4-3, Yearby v Cook, and Butch v the world. Those were the conversations that, no matter how awful people acted in the moment, I could shrug off as the angry ramblings of internet nutjobs who were just as bored yet passionate as me. We were looking for ways to connect, and this was the place much like grassy, CI, etc before it. It was simple.

Right now everything is as jacked as a 4th quarter halfback pass in an actual war zone. Nothing makes sense, the weather is terrible, but worst of all I know many, many people fiercely and honestly believe there is a life or death struggle happening for millions of Americans “like them”. Who look like them, talk them, smell like them. Whether its COVID or their business or their job or their dad or their mom or their black child or their black self or their white uncle who’s a cop or his wife who lost him in the line of duty or an immigrant who can’t get his family in the country or a Christian who feels like she can’t believe in Christ himself without losing her job or Muslim who gets blamed for ish he’s never even considered let alone done it’s just a head wrap man chill or the many, many members aged 60+ we have on CIS who can’t even go to Publix without a stupid, stupid freaking mask on that just might save their life but should they wear gloves too or check their temperature or see their grandkids just once please God or die alone in their house telling everyone they’re cool and can’t wait to get “back to normal” while their neighbor can’t survive another day without his gun shop open or her food truck is about to get repo’d while his son with diabetes just went into a coma and his boss’ wife is tired of reminding her boys exactly how to act if they get pulled over or to not go into anyone’s yard and to leave the area if they see a white person on the phone.

I have never felt so different than all of you in my entire life on CIS. I have never felt more unlike all of you, and it hurts. I can’t escape the anger, fear, weariness and all of the above on every page of every thread. (I am not saying each of us has endured the same things). Especially when each and every thread quickly takes the same tornadic form and empties all kindness down the same heartless drain with the same torrential force to the same sickening sound. For the first time being at CIS I feel like I’m trying to moderate hearts instead of words, and I love y’all but it’s the worst. I can’t do it, I don’t know your lives, I don’t really know your hearts. But I know you’re not ok.

If CIS was a patient I’d say she’s pretty sick, and that I don’t know how to help. I want her to get better — soon — but it’s going to take some time and a lot of healthy choices along the way. All I can ask is that you guys try — just try, please — to be softer with your words and compassionate in your approach.

I don’t want lifelong enemies to be made in this awful window of time, it makes me ill to see it unfolding. Again, hate each other because you think Butch should be the head coach — that crap is irrelevant. But don’t hate each other because of things that matter, because of who you are as people. That hurts to see, because you will remember that in your heart far longer than you will who supported Golden til the end (except for that one guy who everyone somehow remembers. No, not him, the one who confuses his meat with his charcoal. Good guy regardless.)

My dad was the one who made me a Cane. He was from Illinois and moved to Ft. Lauderdale when he was in his early 20s, back when Miami was still Suntan U. We left south Florida when I was ten, but stayed true canes and learned to live alone with our fandom. He died 14 years ago in a construction accident.

I have one real life friend who’s a Miami fan, @Cribby, and I met him through CaneInsider. We started goofing off in the chat feature they had way back, then when Brandin Odoi went nuts on everyone we took it off the site and emailed each other, way back when that was not so easy to do. Eventually we started texting, I thought he was black, learned I was wrong, normal internet friend stuff. We didn’t speak on the phone for years, maybe 5+, until he lost a very close relative. Since then it’s no big deal to chat, and it’s become an amazing friendship. We even spoke today about the State of the U and the State of the Union. It was great. It was simple.

You can’t be Cribby’s friend like me, but please don’t lose sight of why we are all here: to participate in the privately-funded social circus known as UM athletics, alongside the countless uncaged animals who inhabit it like me, Cribby, and the rest of you.

Anyway, you don’t care and I look forward to locking this thread.

84C9973A-F7A8-4D8C-9FCD-E3B54C0B6BB6.gif

Advertisement
Below is the rock I will boldly jump off, into the shimmering waters off the coast of “south beach”.

Here’s my piece of moldy cheesecake on the last few months, as a mod:

This place has sucked. Badly and progressively. It makes me long for the days of debating the 2-gap 4-3, Yearby v Cook, and Butch v the world. Those were the conversations that, no matter how awful people acted in the moment, I could shrug off as the angry ramblings of internet nutjobs who were just as bored yet passionate as me. We were looking for ways to connect, and this was the place much like grassy, CI, etc before it. It was simple.

Right now everything is as jacked as a 4th quarter halfback pass in an actual war zone. Nothing makes sense, the weather is terrible, but worst of all I know many, many people fiercely and honestly believe there is a life or death struggle happening for millions of Americans “like them”. Who look like them, talk them, smell like them. Whether its COVID or their business or their job or their dad or their mom or their black child or their black self or their white uncle who’s a cop or his wife who lost him in the line of duty or an immigrant who can’t get his family in the country or a Christian who feels like she can’t believe in Christ himself without losing her job or Muslim who gets blamed for ish he’s never even considered let alone done it’s just a head wrap man chill or the many, many members aged 60+ we have on CIS who can’t even go to Publix without a stupid, stupid freaking mask on that just might save their life but should they wear gloves too or check their temperature or see their grandkids just once please God or die alone in their house telling everyone they’re cool and can’t wait to get “back to normal” while their neighbor can’t survive another day without his gun shop open or her food truck is about to get repo’d while his son with diabetes just went into a coma and his boss’ wife is tired of reminding her boys exactly how to act if they get pulled over or to not go into anyone’s yard and to leave the area if they see a white person on the phone.

I have never felt so different than all of you in my entire life on CIS. I have never felt more unlike all of you, and it hurts. I can’t escape the anger, fear, weariness and all of the above on every page of every thread. (I am not saying each of us has endured the same things). Especially when each and every thread quickly takes the same tornadic form and empties all kindness down the same heartless drain with the same torrential force to the same sickening sound. For the first time being at CIS I feel like I’m trying to moderate hearts instead of words, and I love y’all but it’s the worst. I can’t do it, I don’t know your lives, I don’t really know your hearts. But I know you’re not ok.

If CIS was a patient I’d say she’s pretty sick, and that I don’t know how to help. I want her to get better — soon — but it’s going to take some time and a lot of healthy choices along the way. All I can ask is that you guys try — just try, please — to be softer with your words and compassionate in your approach.

I don’t want lifelong enemies to be made in this awful window of time, it makes me ill to see it unfolding. Again, hate each other because you think Butch should be the head coach — that crap is irrelevant. But don’t hate each other because of things that matter, because of who you are as people. That hurts to see, because you will remember that in your heart far longer than you will who supported Golden til the end (except for that one guy who everyone somehow remembers. No, not him, the one who confuses his meat with his charcoal. Good guy regardless.)

My dad was the one who made me a Cane. He was from Illinois and moved to Ft. Lauderdale when he was in his early 20s, back when Miami was still Suntan U. We left south Florida when I was ten, but stayed true canes and learned to live alone with our fandom. He died 14 years ago in a construction accident.

I have one real life friend who’s a Miami fan, @Cribby, and I met him through CaneInsider. We started goofing off in the chat feature they had way back, then when Brandin Odoi went nuts on everyone we took it off the site and emailed each other, way back when that was not so easy to do. Eventually we started texting, I thought he was black, learned I was wrong, normal internet friend stuff. We didn’t speak on the phone for years, maybe 5+, until he lost a very close relative. Since then it’s no big deal to chat, and it’s become an amazing friendship. We even spoke today about the State of the U and the State of the Union. It was great. It was simple.

You can’t be Cribby’s friend like me, but please don’t lose sight of why we are all here: to participate in the privately-funded social circus known as UM athletics, alongside the countless uncaged animals who inhabit it like me, Cribby, and the rest of you.

View attachment 119544
Nice write up... stuff like this is needed... everyone is human .. we all feel...

View attachment 119544
I love you, that is all

I appreciate this a lot. This site has changed immensely over the years. In order to do my very small part in getting it back on track, I pose the following questions:

1. Do you all think Derrick Griffin will qualify for the upcoming season?

2. Do you all think we have a shot at Trevonte Valentine coming after going JUCO? We all know how high he was on the Canes until the last second.

3. Should we call Richt Coach Richt or CMR?

4. Hey Pete, what do you think about our chances with [insert South Fla diva here]?

5. Is James King a take? Scratch that question we all knew he wasn't...

6. Did Danny Boy Cane really get attacked by a bear? Was it an inside job? and outside job? I blame it on Nevin Shapiro.

7. Is the U back [Evergreen question]?

Seriously though. Be a little less of a DB to each other. We spend most our days arguing about 18-23 year olds playing a children's game. That's already weird enough as it is. So lets just be weird together.

Advertisement

View attachment 119544
I too thought @Cribby was black. And in my fraternity. I kept telling him he was until one day he PM’d me and said, “Bro, you seem cool, but I’m not black.” I died laughing and we’ve been cool every since. So I feel you brother. Classy post.

View attachment 119544
You sound down. I will prey four ewe.

Advertisement
I want to write something humorous to make you feel better, brother. But the truth is there’s nothing funny about the rage in some posts you are describing. It feels good to lash out, but it gets away from us and first hurts then infects others.

All I can say is that we appreciate you and everything you, D$, Mr Adams and all the other moderators and staff members of Canesinsight do to make this such a great place. We should all try to be as empathetic and aware as you are. I know I will.

I want to write something humorous to make you feel better, brother. But the truth is there’s nothing funny about the rage in some posts you are describing. It feels good to lash out, but it gets away from us and first hurts then infects others.

All I can say is that we appreciate you and everything you, D$, Mr Adams and all the other moderators and staff members of Canesinsight do to make this such a great place. We should all try to be as empathetic and aware as you are. I know I will.
Thank grover. I'm good, really, I just hate to see what's happening. It's a thread on CIS but it's a life somewhere else.

As a more recent poster to this site, I can’t speak on how things used to be around here. But what I can say is I will never be someone to bash anyone else based on their own opinions or views. We are all united by a team that we hold in high regards in our lives, and I think we forget that sometimes. Also, it’s easy to insult and troll behind a keyboard, but we all forget that there are actual people on the other side with struggles that we don’t see. I think it would be wise for us to remember that.

Advertisement

Quoting RVA because it illustrates something I've been thinking about lately, regarding why there seems to be so many issues on the site right now. So here’s my piece of moldy cheesecake on the last few months, as a mod:

View attachment 119544

I agree.

We wouldn't have these problems if everyone was just like me.

A team with a lot of inner city black athletes, at a school with a lot of middle/upper class white students, in a blue city, in a red state. Our fans are in many different regions of the US. a lot of perspectives that are naturally at odds.

We are ****ed without football in the face of adversity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement

View attachment 119544

I'm an alum and a long-time lurker who's felt for a while that this is the best place for news regarding my alma mater's football (and ****, even the hoops team that I was one of only a few of us students following in the Category 5 days on campus), and I was compelled to make an account for this one. Inday and RVA and a bunch of you posters who I've followed in order to track the teams' developments over the years; it's always been good. Times worldwide (in the grand scheme of things) are rough about now, but Canes football is closer to resuming (and I believe that, regardless of world events - gotta keep some optimism in life) than not. Y'all do great work here. For us who usually just lurk and read along, it's a treat and a privelege.

Now I'm just ready to win some games, man, and it's better if all us fans, alumni, whoever, do that together.

Frankly, I'm weary of it as well.

Working 70 hours a week (at night) wears me out enough without getting news about 'Canes football without politics rearing their ugly head.

The big question (other than COVID) is the offense, particulary the offensive line. If thr offensive line doesn't improve, that poor Houston QB is gonna regret the moment he stepped foot on this campus.

Heartfelt and brutally honest post. Upon reflection, I do feel like somewhat of an ******* for my part in this stupidity (and occasional inability to stay out of the fray).

Not an excuse, but I just watched a full 80 minutes of footy (Sydney v. North Melbourne)... this is where my desperation for live sports is at. Worst part is, I think I actually liked it...

Also upon reflection, Butch Davis was not, in fact, a football God. He was a football charlatan with a great eye for talent and the ability to develop that talent. Nothing more, nothing less. Somebody prove me wrong.

Great words. One important thing is for RVAcane to stop banning anyone with different views
Most of my friends on this board have different views than me. Most of my own family has different views than me. There’s a difference between different views and board ruining and thread wrecking bull shît that doesn’t belong here.

Next time please @ me.

Advertisement
Back