A very special Fireside Chat with a Living Legend

Advertisement
We are 4-1 in the ACC, with the only loss coming to the #1 team in the nation.
giphy (8).gif

come on man, you can't possibly be happy with the way this team plays week in and week out or seeing our HC slip and slide after beating a 1-4 team

Folks like the "Living Legend" are getting a little too caught up in the final score. Miami was the better team all game long and it showed up everywhere but on the final scoresheet.

Last year Canes beat UVA by 8 points. UVA outgained us 326-265. They beat us in TOP 34:19-25:41. They beat us on 3rd down 10-19 vs. 2-10. They gave us at least 9 free points between a missed FG, turnover on downs in the RZ, and a fumble in the RZ. We should have lost that game.

Flash forward to this year and we won by 5. We outgained them 444-366. Even with the hurry up we won the TOP battle 31:28-28:32. We improved to 8-17 on 3rd down to while they dropped to 7-16.

We beat their *** up and down the field. The only reason the scoreboard doesn't show it is because THE RED ZONE. Sometimes teams have games where they struggle in the RZ. This really hasn't been an issue for Lashlee and the O so far this year. If Chaney doesn't lose his footing on the one run from the 3 people aren't even having this conversation. He had a wide open land for the TD. It was not ideal, but there are games where that will happen and it usually costs the team a win. It didn't. Be glad. This time we missed a kick, and got absolutely hosed on an offsides call that also most likely would have lead to points and still won.

The run game needs work. Lash needs to get the RZ issues ironed out, which Brevin should help. It's a flawed team. It's also light years better than last year's team.

Just keep stacking wins.

We are 4-1 in the ACC, with the only loss coming to the #1 team in the nation.
It is nice living in the moment without discussion of the context of how the team is being run. The only modicum of improvement is that we didn’t lose following a tough loss, although we did come out flat as we have been in recent years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The only modicum of improvement is that we didn’t lose following a bye week, although we did come out flat as we have been in recent years.

We were coming off a bye week? Maybe we are watching different teams.

I want you to be right. I was there not long ago. I knew in the off-season that we had a problem when there were no changes to defensive staff and I posted it many times. I said I was more worried about the defense than the offense. I still do believe that Lashlee can correct course though I’m disappointed in the non-stop and repeated inside zone run play calling.

But when I see Mike Harley’s comments about no effort, when I see Amari Carter - with a C on his jersey - doing the same thing, when I see the slow willingness to play the younger guys when the older guys aren’t getting it done in conjunction with what Harley said, when I see us eke out a win over UVA and after the game, Manny goes full-blown Coach Slip-n-Slide... I can’t benefit of the doubt it and rationalize it away.

I thought Harley's comments were about "taking shortcuts", not "no effort". It might be a small distinction, but I think that it is easier to get kids to stop taking shortcuts, and start doing everything the right way, than to get a kid to go from "no effort" to "full effort".

I have been disappointed with Lashlee's playcalling, the running game in particular. Maybe he is more accustomed to using a power back and doesn't yet realize the embarrassment of riches that he has with fast SoFla RBs.

Amari Carter...agreed. I wish Tae was healthy and ready to hit someone.

In any other year, I think the freshmen would be playing more. Covid has complicated that, in more ways than one. We have 2 weeks to get the freshmen ready for more reps.

As for the slip-n-slide...would the analysis change if it was something the players challenged him to do? I'm thinking about Coach L's "Elaine-like" dancing after winning a couple of basketball games.

I do agree with one concept, though, and that is Manny needs to hire the "enforcer" coach, the coach who regulates the punishment for penalties and mental errors and other transgressions. Blobby Bowden always had an enforcer. Not every head coach has to "chew ***" like Saban.

My 2 cents.

Advertisement
bc we have only played one over .500 team so far. Clemson, the one quality team we played, obliterated Us like we are just some run of the mill ACC team—which we are an have been for over a decade.
Danny Boy Cane without the Aspergers doesn't care about that. Doesn't care that an anemic UVA defense just had their best defensive performance all season against us. Doesn't care that we had to rely on Pitt's self inflicted mistakes to survive that game. Doesn't care that we're trending in the wrong direction and setting up to get utterly mauled by any team that doesn't rely on QB by committee or back up QBs.

Na, let's celebrate 5-1 today when finishing the season 7-4 or 6-5 is looking like a real possibility.

Danny Boy Cane without the Aspergers doesn't care about that. Doesn't care that an anemic UVA defense just had their best defensive performance all season against us. Doesn't care that we had to rely on Pitt's self inflicted mistakes to survive that game. Doesn't care that we're trending in the wrong direction and setting up to get utterly mauled by any team that doesn't rely on QB by committee or back up QBs.

Na, let's celebrate 5-1 today when finishing the season 7-4 or 6-5 is looking like a real possibility.
When we beat NC st you'll just find another boogie man to be scared of.

When we beat NC st you'll just find another boogie man to be scared of.
NC ST had their starting QB break his leg last week. They just got mauled 48-21 against UNC. When we beat them 18-12 you're going to puff your chest as if that's what tier 2 teams do because you think "a wIn iS a WiN"

Wake, VT, UNC are going to put up 30+ on us and let's see if Manny can beat a team he couldn't last year in GT.

NC ST had their starting QB break his leg last week. They just got mauled 48-21 against UNC. When we beat them 18-12 you're going to puff your chest as if that's what tier 2 teams do because you think "a wIn iS a WiN"

Wake, VT, UNC are going to put up 30+ on us and let's see if Manny can beat a team he couldn't last year in GT.
You're right because we'll be 6-1. But yes keep on predicting doom so that when it happens you can point to this thread where it all came to be. Where YOU predicted it all.

Advertisement
You're right because we'll be 6-1. But yes keep on predicting doom so that when it happens you can point to this thread where it all came to be. Where YOU predicted it all.
We haven't covered the spread in over a month. We're underperforming. That comes home to roost over the span of a whole season.

We haven't covered the spread in over a month. We're underperforming. That comes home to roost over the span of a whole season.
Only if we continue to underperform. And even if we do we've found a way to win in the past.

Sure, if we keep slippin under the gate we'll get caught sooner or later. But why assume that? It looks like our wr corp may be turning the corner. We could be getting Brevin back. Our missing freshmen should be returning.

My question is why are we always terrified of the next opponent?

This season is no different than Shannon 2009, Golden 2013 and Richt 2017.
We are conning our way to a better record than we actually are.
The real measure of the team should be improvement and if people are being honest there is very little if any improvement happening with this team. King is the difference between a losing record and our current record.

Advertisement
This season is no different than Shannon 2009, Golden 2013 and Richt 2017.
We are conning our way to a better record than we actually are.
The real measure of the team should be improvement and if people are being honest there is very little if any improvement happening with this team. King is the difference between a losing record and our current record.
Shannon 09...Golden 2013...and Richt 2017 would beat the Brake Pads off this team...

Wisconsin is full of big Viking dudes and their o-lines have been awesome for their past few coaches so I can't give him all the credit for that.
Gary Andersen won 10 games and went to a New Year's Bowl. In fact, every coach since Barry Alvarez has done that. Chryst inherited a 10-win team and a program with an elite offensive line culture and somehow he's a really good coach because of it.

Bottom line is that if we were Wisconsin they'd still be whining.

LOL, I mean, seriously, 75 percent of college coaching is recruiting and procuring talent. And then setting a culture and standard. To say that Chryst -- who's at a school that isn't in THAT fertile of a recruiting ground -- gets no credit for being the CEO is a bit odd to me
He was handed a ready-made program and has the best team in his division and the best he's done is......win the division. If he was at Miami with the same results you'd be killing him right now.

Remember that k9 was also a big fan of Dan Werner. We're not exactly talking about the brightest minds in the analyst game here.

Advertisement
Back