A very special Fireside Chat with a Living Legend

You can be content with our wins and losses and still disappointed in how we achieved it. UVA is 1-4 and will certainly lose 7-8 games this season. The UVA performance is more frustrating than the Pitt one because at least you can say Pitt has a terrific defense. UVA is just not a good team, hence why I am at a loss as to how we are regressing.

Again, if we've made ANY positive changes in personnel and playcalling, we should see 30+ points scored on a below-average NC State defense two weeks from now. 30 points should be enough to win most games this season. Let's see what unfolds.

Advertisement
He would do well at ND and Penn State for starters.
So he would do well at programs that are already good. What a revelation.

He has yet, however, to do what Manny Diaz is trying to do and that's change the culture at a struggling program.

The meltdown people have over Diaz having a bit of fun with his players after a win is . . . interesting.

It's a game played by young people.

The meltdown people have over Diaz having a bit of fun with his players after a win is . . . interesting.

It's a game played by young people.
They're just playing the result. Manny hasn't won anything yet and so if he does something like this then it's clownish, etc.

So he would do well at programs that are already good. What a revelation.

He has yet, however, to do what Manny Diaz is trying to do and that's change the culture at a struggling program.
Here’s a revelation for ya - you’re a minimum 7 time banned troll and this will make 8.

D7968E72-9E7A-4631-911D-C34CD36FD9A1.gif

Advertisement
He was handed a ready-made program and has the best team in his division and the best he's done is......win the division. If he was at Miami with the same results you'd be killing him right now.

Remember that k9 was also a big fan of Dan Werner. We're not exactly talking about the brightest minds in the analyst game here.

Coker was handed a ready made program, too

And yeah, if Chryst was at Miami and his team performed in the same manner, I would be killing him. No argument there. That's the way it works

And yeah, if Chryst was at Miami and his team performed in the same manner, I would be killing him. No argument there. That's the way it works

Sort of off-topic, but what a ridiculous rule the Big 10 has in that if you test positive for Covid, you have a mandatory 21-day absence from football. That could absolutely decimate a team - Wisconsin's QB has it, and they play Michigan in a few weeks. Ridiculous requirement from a moronic conference

We're average because of our HC. That's where the discontent flows from for our fans. We see the unrealized potential of the program, and it makes us sick. UVAG and Pitt (with Yellen at QB) are terrible. A team that recruits at our level should hammer those teams.
Based on what nobody on this roster has won anything! This team needs to learn how to win just like the head coach needs to learn how to lead

Here’s a revelation for ya - you’re a minimum 7 time banned troll and this will make 8.

View attachment 134401

Thank you.

You'd think that some of these trolls would either pre-register a few extra log-in names in advance, or just wait a few days before posting, so that it isn't so obvious when they blitz us with a dozen posts on the same day that they join...

Advertisement

He can’t argue with you because this multiple banned troll has met the guillotine blades of the #KTDT.... for like the 8th time I’m aware of.

Based on what nobody on this roster has won anything! This team needs to learn how to win just like the head coach needs to learn how to lead
And win. What winning coaching tree is Manny from? And before mouthbreathers bring up Mack Brown, I mean, didn’t Manny’s porous D pretty much accelerate Mack Brown’s firing from Texas?

Sort of off-topic, but what a ridiculous rule the Big 10 has in that if you test positive for Covid, you have a mandatory 21-day absence from football. That could absolutely decimate a team - Wisconsin's QB has it, and they play Michigan in a few weeks. Ridiculous requirement from a moronic conference

Ballin, IMO, this is about optics. Lets be real, that conference first balked at playing football. Then they got pressure from all sides (even the White House, lol), so they were forced into this it seemed.

So with that, as they moved forward, they wanted to give the impression that they are extra vigilant and protective of the participants and coaches. Another layer of added protection vs any liability that could be assumed by them. So this is about protection and perception...

Advertisement
OP is spot on, we’re regressing big time and it’s only a matter of time before the bottom falls out. We’re staring at least another 2-3 losses if we keep playing like this and I would put $ that we lose next at Nc state..bye week, Friday night game and these guys are feeling themselves after squeaking by a garbage uva squad, you all know how that’s gonna end for us..

Advertisement
I don't care about Vegas spreads. We were a 14 point favorite to beat a terrible UVAG and they were a play from beating us.

We're not winning games we used to lose. We beat UL, FSU, Pitt and UVAG last year when we were the worst UM team since the 1970s. This "we're winning games we used to lose" rap is a false narrative. We're beating some god awful teams just like we usually do. We're playing down to our competition like we usually do. And we got humiliated and didn't show up for the game against the top level team like we usually do.
You don't care about the Vegas spreads, which rate teams according to power ratings (taking wins and losses out of the equation). You don't care about the AP or coaches poll, both of which have us ranked 12th. You don't care about yardage differential, which shows we have outperformed ND vs. common opponents? What objective measure do you rely on, or is it simply your subjective review because you watch a lot of CFB? Your vast CFB knowledge led your omniscient prediction that Mich St would suck so you discount the Rutgers loss, but in mid-August, when I said our LBs lacked talent and were the weakest unit on the team, you were the only person to quote me and expressly disagree. Everything you've said is subjective and not backed by facts.

Again, I don't disagree with your overall premise. We are flawed. You don't need stats to prove that we aren't a top 5 team. The pic of Manny on the slip and slide makes me cringe. But you directly attack any poster that criticizes our players during the offseason, and now you are prematurely blasting a 5-1 team that is clearly better than last year's team.

I've said for years on this site: I come off as a mope when everyone else is high, and a slurper when everyone else is low. I believe that to be because I have realistic expectations for this team. We are 5-1, and not by luck like 2017, when we needed Langham to catch 2 hail mary's to keep our undefeated season going. Outside Clemson, none of our games were ever in doubt. How can anyone complain about that?

The remaining games on our schedule are all winable. Even if we drop 1, the season would be a HUGE success. 6-7 to 9-2 in one year, with one of the losses being to Clemson, at the same time moving to the spread offense we all wanted and beating inferior teams we are supposed to beat? Its the same OL and WR units, and we replace, off the top of my head, 8 (?) starters on defense?

If we stumble down the stretch and finish 2-3, then you have an argument. But you were premature after the Pitt game, and you are still premature after an admittedly disappointing UVA performance.

What kills me is that Flagg was someone who a lot of people questioned the take given his size and perceived lack of athleticism. He's a true freshman that came in without a summer/spring camp and outside of Brooks, looks like our best LB. Yet, we continue to trot out Jennings and McCloud for a vast majority of the snaps. Our culture and process is beyond screwed up.
I don't even like Flagg but put the kid in now see what he can do cause McCloud is bad and Jennings. Cloud and Jennings momentum is so bad they would end up running into the stands trying to stop themselves. I expect monsters and somehow people are like we have to do it slowly. Well ladies n gentleman slowly is next class u bring in a five star linebacker and put his *** in. It's college if u can recruit (which is 70% of the job some would say) then u have a first round draft pick every year to pick from HS.

If they can't play sit there *** period and if they are young and can't play replace with recruiting savages......simple.

We're better at QB for sure. We're way better at K. I think we're worse on D and seemingly the same at HC from a motivational/preparation/tenacity standpoint. Overall, we're a little better than last year because of King and Lashlee/Justice/Likens being an upgrade over Perry/Williams and Penos/Barry/Stumblebum.

Being a little better than the abomination that was last year isn't good enough though. We were historically bad last year with what was maybe the worst coaching job I've ever seen at UM.

Let's see what happens the rest of the way. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Isn't this the whole point though? I didn't see D$ or anyone else argue that we are some sort of elite team (the argument was whether we are above-average or not). But the point that D$ and myself in this thread - and I saw Lance make the same argument in another thread - is how can we not be happy at 5-1, after what we witnessed last year?

LOL! I think the mopers now were the slurpers at the beginning of the season who had unrealistic expectations for this year and are now disappointed and the slurpers now were actually the mopers at the beginning of the season who had low expectations for this year who are actually now pleasantly surprised.

I guess I’m in that second category.
Exactly.

Valid points. Thus far, Lashlee’s lack of adjustments are a tad concerning. It will be interesting to see if we try something different moving forward. NC State and VT aren’t exactly very good on Defense so we should have opportunities to be successful. Personally, I think King is hurt. Hopefully, he gets better with the bye because that OL isn’t doing our running game any favors and making us one dimensional.

However, what about the lack of adjustments on Defense? Like myself, you’re a stat guy, our Defense is ranked 46th in total Defense in a year where half the country hasn’t played. This is year 5 under Diaz’s Defense. To @The Franchise point, this is an alarming trend considering we have not played a single Offense (outside of Clemson) ranked in the top 50, yet. We just played two bad teams without a QB and scratched and clawed for a victory. I don’t want to get into a debate about what program is average or above average; however, I find it hard to believe a team ranked near the 50’s on both Total Offense and Total Defense is above average. I understand there are other stats that tell different stories (scoring Defense) but I think those “total” stats, in particular, gives you a general idea where your Offense and Defense is. I also recognize those stats are a bit flawed due to so many teams not playing but the fact that we are even that low is alarming. Meanwhile, the elite, for the most part (I see Bama’s Defense), are consistently among the best in the nation in those categories.
There is absolutely concern on the defensive side of the ball. Losing GR15 hurt. His ability to get long - like when you perfectly time a dive in Madden to make a tackle - is sorely missed. Phillips can collapse the pocket a little bit, but he just doesn't get home. So a defense that has been reliant on sacks, TOs, TFLs, and havoc, is now not creating it, and that is a huge issue. There has been no adjustments made to compensate. Either something gives, or we drop games down the stretch.

I don't even like Flagg but put the kid in now see what he can do cause McCloud is bad and Jennings. Cloud and Jennings momentum is so bad they would end up running into the stands trying to stop themselves. I expect monsters and somehow people are like we have to do it slowly. Well ladies n gentleman slowly is next class u bring in a five star linebacker and put his *** in. It's college if u can recruit (which is 70% of the job some would say) then u have a first round draft pick every year to pick from HS.

If they can't play sit there *** period and if they are young and can't play replace with recruiting savages......simple.

Well, my post was more of an indictment on our LB situation. Some didn't even way Flagg, but he's easily played better than the upper classmen on our roster. Brooks has been our best LB. Steed has flashed while also making mistakes. But given that we were talking about him possibly retiring from football given a 2nd major knee surgery, I'm not going to fault him as reps are his problem. But I really believe that we're playing the most ineffective LBs on our roster a majority of the snaps.

Advertisement
Back