A very special Fireside Chat with a Living Legend

Advertisement
Well, my post was more of an indictment on our LB situation. Some didn't even way Flagg, but he's easily played better than the upper classmen on our roster. Brooks has been our best LB. Steed has flashed while also making mistakes. But given that we were talking about him possibly retiring from football given a 2nd major knee surgery, I'm not going to fault him as reps are his problem. But I really believe that we're playing the most ineffective LBs on our roster a majority of the snaps.
Diaz has to have a huge ego on linebackers cause that's supposedly his expertise. He must be hard to convince even ray Lewis would get benched for Jennings. Imagine having Flowe sit behind those guys? Holy ****

Advertisement
Folks like Your Living Legend are getting caught up in how we are playing, not the final score. If I was caught up in the final score, I'd be one of these goofballs pounding my chest over us being 5-1.
It's like the year with Mark (a better team it seems like definitely a better defense) we weren't as good as it seemed.

We had a chance to really pounce on the gift Richt gave us and we squandered it. That was real momentum when he retired and we fuqed up and I knew we did to man....so heart breaking. I remember jumping for joy when he retired and in that same day we hired Diaz and I said FML...only UM can fuq with my emotions like that in one day.

And win. What winning coaching tree is Manny from? And before mouthbreathers bring up Mack Brown, I mean, didn’t Manny’s porous D pretty much accelerate Mack Brown’s firing from Texas?
Manny' porous D actually accelerated Manny's firing from Texas. Mack enjoyed more years at Texas after shytcanning Coach WhammO!

Advertisement
News Flash: NC State is another below-average team that was playing its 3rd string QB when they got mauled by UNC two days ago, Bub.
NcSt is the 5 rated team in the 15 team ACC. They are 4-2 and their only losses have come at the hands of ranked teams. They are not below average.

Our top receiving target has been out 3 games. That's not an excuse not to win.

You don't care about the Vegas spreads, which rate teams according to power ratings (taking wins and losses out of the equation). You don't care about the AP or coaches poll, both of which have us ranked 12th. You don't care about yardage differential, which shows we have outperformed ND vs. common opponents? What objective measure do you rely on, or is it simply your subjective review because you watch a lot of CFB? Your vast CFB knowledge led your omniscient prediction that Mich St would suck so you discount the Rutgers loss, but in mid-August, when I said our LBs lacked talent and were the weakest unit on the team, you were the only person to quote me and expressly disagree. Everything you've said is subjective and not backed by facts.

Again, I don't disagree with your overall premise. We are flawed. You don't need stats to prove that we aren't a top 5 team. The pic of Manny on the slip and slide makes me cringe. But you directly attack any poster that criticizes our players during the offseason, and now you are prematurely blasting a 5-1 team that is clearly better than last year's team.

I've said for years on this site: I come off as a mope when everyone else is high, and a slurper when everyone else is low. I believe that to be because I have realistic expectations for this team. We are 5-1, and not by luck like 2017, when we needed Langham to catch 2 hail mary's to keep our undefeated season going. Outside Clemson, none of our games were ever in doubt. How can anyone complain about that?

The remaining games on our schedule are all winable. Even if we drop 1, the season would be a HUGE success. 6-7 to 9-2 in one year, with one of the losses being to Clemson, at the same time moving to the spread offense we all wanted and beating inferior teams we are supposed to beat? Its the same OL and WR units, and we replace, off the top of my head, 8 (?) starters on defense?

If we stumble down the stretch and finish 2-3, then you have an argument. But you were premature after the Pitt game, and you are still premature after an admittedly disappointing UVA performance.
I care about what I see. And what I see is average football. ****, you could argue that the performance against UVAG was below-average football.

You want to compare ND's nerd number to ours, but then you don't want to answer for the most relevant comparison, which was ND playing Pitt one week after we did. You made Yellen out to be about equal to Pickett, but ND proved me right. He was exactly the bum I told you he was, and ND did to Pitt exactly what we should have with the green Yellen at the helm.

Just because you got sucked in by the low bar Coach WhammO! set last year doesn't mean we all did. I don't play the "6-7 to 8-2 is a great improvement" game. This program should NEVER be 6-7. Any competent HC wins at least 9 last year at UM. That would make 8-2 this year nothing to be happy about if you're playing the "Al Folden trending up" shell game.

Folks like Your Living Legend are getting caught up in how we are playing, not the final score. If I was caught up in the final score, I'd be one of these goofballs pounding my chest over us being 5-1.
Because we’ve seen it too many times

When we’ve actually turned the corner as a program there will be zero doubts

For now, in my eyes, we’ve just got a slightly better seat in the mediocre section

I don’t hate Manny Diaz. I like him a lot actually. But I’ve always maintained he had no business getting hired here. We will always be playing from behind with him leading this team.

Not his fault he got hired to do a job he can’t do though so no ill will from me

Isn't this the whole point though? I didn't see D$ or anyone else argue that we are some sort of elite team (the argument was whether we are above-average or not). But the point that D$ and myself in this thread - and I saw Lance make the same argument in another thread - is how can we not be happy at 5-1, after what we witnessed last year?

Exactly.

There is absolutely concern on the defensive side of the ball. Losing GR15 hurt. His ability to get long - like when you perfectly time a dive in Madden to make a tackle - is sorely missed. Phillips can collapse the pocket a little bit, but he just doesn't get home. So a defense that has been reliant on sacks, TOs, TFLs, and havoc, is now not creating it, and that is a huge issue. There has been no adjustments made to compensate. Either something gives, or we drop games down the stretch.
I don't look at a 5-1 record accumulated against sub-500 teams as any sign that we're playing good football. We're playing just good enough to beat some horrible teams, which is what we've been doing forever. Now, you are in the business of excusing losses to any decent teams we face and bad performance wins against average/sub-par teams. I'm not interested in that because I've seen it too many times.

5-1 against **** is nothing to be excited about. We've beaten the same teams we beat last year and got humiliated against the 1 great team we played. What's so exciting about that other than the record? A team playing like we've played the last 3 games is not a good team despite the smoke and mirrors record. You guys can claim we would have lost to these teams last year, but we didn't. We beat them last year too.

Advertisement
Ballin, IMO, this is about optics. Lets be real, that conference first balked at playing football. Then they got pressure from all sides (even the White House, lol), so they were forced into this it seemed.

So with that, as they moved forward, they wanted to give the impression that they are extra vigilant and protective of the participants and coaches. Another layer of added protection vs any liability that could be assumed by them. So this is about protection and perception...
Yeah, but if Justin Fields turns up positive they’ll change that 21 day rule faster than you can say, “I can’t believe Amari Carter just got ejected for targeting again!”

NcSt is the 5 rated team in the 15 team ACC. They are 4-2 and their only losses have come at the hands of ranked teams. They are not below average.

Our top receiving target has been out 3 games. That's not an excuse not to win.
LOL. Who does these imaginary conference rankings of yours? NC State was playing OK with Leary at QB. He's gone now. You guys seem to think replacing QBs is easy for other teams but impossible for us.

He can’t argue with you because this multiple banned troll has met the guillotine blades of the #KTDT.... for like the 8th time I’m aware of.
Interesting, though, isn’t the 2nd sentence of the OPs 2nd paragraph something that you have been banning people for obsessively? Where did your courage go, lion?
Manny' porous D actually accelerated Manny's firing from Texas. Mack enjoyed more years at Texas after shytcanning Coach WhammO!
I thought both were ****canned in 2013?

Advertisement
Because we’ve seen it too many times

When we’ve actually turned the corner as a program there will be zero doubts

For now, in my eyes, we’ve just got a slightly better seat in the mediocre section

I don’t hate Manny Diaz. I like him a lot actually. But I’ve always maintained he had no business getting hired here. We will always be playing from behind with him leading this team.

Not his fault he got hired to do a job he can’t do though so no ill will from me
I share your feeling on Diaz. I don't hate him because he's not a lazy fck like Shannon or a scumbag like Folden. He's a smart guy trying his best, who is open to making changes, but he just isn't a great leader. It happens. Good guys fail all the time in the big time world.

Well, my post was more of an indictment on our LB situation. Some didn't even way Flagg, but he's easily played better than the upper classmen on our roster. Brooks has been our best LB. Steed has flashed while also making mistakes. But given that we were talking about him possibly retiring from football given a 2nd major knee surgery, I'm not going to fault him as reps are his problem. But I really believe that we're playing the most ineffective LBs on our roster a majority of the snaps.
Steed made some mistakes but he played way better than McCloud. McCloud is downright bad. Jennings is just slow

Interesting, though, isn’t the 2nd sentence of the OPs 2nd paragraph something that you have been banning people for obsessively? Where did your courage go, lion?

LOL. This **** head is trying to get me banned from my own segment because I brought up a guy who holds no public office.

You're now banned from my segment. @RVACane please show this man the door.

No. He’s talking about Don Bailey, Jr.

Edit: I guess he was talking about the other Jr but since I haven’t gone at anyone for bringing up Beau, I’m being even-handed.

Now, it looks like OP has asked for a thread ban so there’s that too.

Advertisement
Back