A-State to sue Miami if payment not made for cancelled game

Advertisement
Keep in mind that we offered to move the game to Friday, offered to pay for the UM flights, offered to provide lodging, and offered our indoor work out facility in the event the teams return would be delayed.
You guys have got to realize at some point, that making these offers were an empty gesture to try and win you points as more stand up than the total ****bags you are asking people to leave their families in the path of a potentially catastrophic event, right? You all have to know at this point that no matter what bull**** things you tried to do to make it easier or less expensive, kids and staff weren't leaving their mothers/wives/children alone to fend for themselves, and that these offers become more desperation and insult, don't you?

ASU fan here. There are several issues in this matter but the primary one concerns the rescheduling of our game. UM had the opportunity to reschedule in 2020/2021 but chose to offer dates in 2024 and 2025 which were unacceptable to ASU. UM claimed it had no available dates until the later years but this was not true. Dates were available in the time frame we desired but your athletic department did not want to schedule our game because the earlier dates claimed to be filled were set aside and available for scheduling FCS opponents. It was not impossible to reschedule our game but rather inconvenient for UM to do so. ASU believes it went the extra distance in an attempt to work with UM but your UM failed to respond in kind. Keep in mind that we offered to move the game to Friday, offered to pay for the UM flights, offered to provide lodging, and offered our indoor work out facility in the event the teams return would be delayed. We asked your UM to reschedule our game immediately following the cancellation but was told to wait until after the season so he was aware of our desired dates early on in the discussions.

Miami didn't have any other dates open this season considering Miami made it to the conference title game. From the time of playing Toledo to the Clemson (conference title game), Miami played without a bye week, which was significant.

Miami may have had dates open for 2020/2021, but to cater to Arky St. isn't practical.

The thing you keep missing is the fact that this hurricane was predicted to nail South Florida. Moving the game from Saturday to Friday still doesn't solve how some of these players had to go and help their families. Now go **** off.

ASU fan here. There are several issues in this matter but the primary one concerns the rescheduling of our game. UM had the opportunity to reschedule in 2020/2021 but chose to offer dates in 2024 and 2025 which were unacceptable to ASU. UM claimed it had no available dates until the later years but this was not true. Dates were available in the time frame we desired but your athletic department did not want to schedule our game because the earlier dates claimed to be filled were set aside and available for scheduling FCS opponents. It was not impossible to reschedule our game but rather inconvenient for UM to do so. ASU believes it went the extra distance in an attempt to work with UM but your UM failed to respond in kind. Keep in mind that we offered to move the game to Friday, offered to pay for the UM flights, offered to provide lodging, and offered our indoor work out facility in the event the teams return would be delayed. We asked your UM to reschedule our game immediately following the cancellation but was told to wait until after the season so he was aware of our desired dates early on in the discussions.

Look, I'm actually going to be polite, though your fanbase doesn't deserve it. Let's take things in chronological order.

First, nobody cares about what your dipsh!te AD offered to UM. We didn't need the game on Friday, we didn't need our flights paid for, we didn't need "lodging" for a week or more after the game. I don't think that the ASU fans actually comprehend this. NOTHING in the way of "accomodation" was going to be worthwhile on that weekend, due to the magnitude of the hurricane. I truly wish there was some sort of an "empathy gene" inside of the Arkansas inbreds, but apparently this is not the case. Changing a football game's time by 24 hours wasn't the issue. And even if THAT was going to be some sort of scheduling "solution", there was absolutely NOTHING that could have been done about the "economic impact" to Jonesboro. First, how many ASU fans would have missed the Friday game due to work? How many ASU fans would not have been able to travel and bestow Jonesboro with all of their "economic impact". Even more, how many UM fans do you think would have travelled to Jonesboro on a Friday? At the very best, you would have been staring down a game with a half-empty stadium and no TV coverage, with the "Jonesboro community" getting nothing in the way of hotel and restaurant income.

To add onto this first point, the issue is, was, and always has been the ENTIRE University of Miami community, of which the football team and support staff are only a part. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the LIES perpetuated on the ASU websites, such as the false claim that our entire team decamped to Disney World instead of flying to Jonesboro. Again, ALL STUDENTS (not just the football players) and ALL EMPLOYEES (not just the football support staff) were released from work to prepare their HOMES and FAMILIES for what was supposed to be the most severe hurricane in modern history. Only a handful of players and staff WHO ARE NOT FROM FLORIDA relocated to Orlando for the storm. Our governor declared an emergency. Our airports shut down. Our interstate highway system (and toll roads) were made "one-way" to facilitate evacuation. Our students and employees who are from South Florida went to their HOMES to be with their FAMILIES. And, hey, maybe it should go without saying, but some of our football players HAVE CHILDREN OF THEIR OWN. Going to Jonesboro was not just some fun field trip that could be "made better" by your idiot AD's "oh-so-generous" offer to fly the team out early and house the team after the storm.

Honestly, I wish there was some way to teach the people of Arkansas what it is like to prepare for, experience, and recover from a major hurricane without, you know, actually wishing a Category Five hurricane to hit Arkansas. Give me a few suggestions.

Now let's move on to the second level, rescheduling the game during 2017. I'm not sure if you Arkansas dimwits can comprehend this, but the FIRST PRIORITY is to reschedule conference games. That is actually a mandate from the ACC (new motto, "Hey, most of our teams are located in hurricane areas, maybe we should revise our standard contracts accordingly") to reschedule conference games FIRST. And, I'm not sure if you Arkansas geniuses figured this out, but the game cancellations WERE NOT LIMITED TO THAT WEEKEND. Thus, many Florida schools actually had to reschedule MORE THAN ONE WEEKEND. Arkansas State is NOT the only OOC game cancellation involving a Florida-based opponent. Look it up if you don't believe me. The fact remains, Miami had to reschedule the UM-F$U game, which is a far more pressing concern than rescheduling Arkansas State. AND AFTER THAT, WE HAD NO REMAINING WEEKENDS AVAILABLE. Again, Arkansas State fans could consult an almanac (or the interwebz) to figure out that Miami made it into the ACC-CG, and thus we had NO AVAILABILITY to reschedule Arkansas State after we had to reschedule F$U in our only available weekend. Honestly, what in the HELLLLL did you expect Miami to do? When would you have rescheduled the Miami game in 2017? Give me some answers, please.

Finally, let's move on to 2020 and 2021. Yes, the rocket scientist A-State AD has claimed to have consulted with Miss Cleo and fbschedules.com in order to figure out HIS PREFERRED DATE for Miami to reschedule. But the reality is, your AD is completely clueless as to what Miami has been planning for our future football schedules, he only knows what has been announced to the general public. I realize that the "empathy gene" is not going to help A-State fans at this point, so let me just say that this is "first world problems". A Power Five conference team cannot merely schedule sub-par opponents willy-nilly. Just this past year, we saw teams such as Wisconsin getting crapped on for their "strength of schedule", and it is very likely that UCF was denied a berth in the Final Four simply because they had to CANCEL a game with Power Five opponent Georgia Tech, due to a certain pesky little hurricane. Just because your PhD AD thinks he sees an opening on Miami's schedule doesn't make it so. Miami has to balance a host of competing concerns in scheduling, and "playing A-State when A-State demands" isn't on the list. At this current time, there are more openings in the 2024-2025 timeframe (so far, we have only pencilled-in Notre Dame on our dancecards), but for some unexplainable reason, A-State's brilliant AD wants to pout and stamp his feet.

Honestly, what do you Arkansas nimrods think is going to magically happen in 2019 or 2020? That our fans are going to mysteriously forget how horribly you have treated us, and then kindly make the journey to Jonesboro to bestow all of your crappy businesses with our "economic impact"? Do you honestly believe that you are going to try to play Miami before Mark Richt has 5 or 6 recruiting classes behind him, and "catch us unaware" when we have "less depth" at key positions? Or are you planning some secret renovation of your locker rooms, but your AD is too stubborn to let Miami enjoy the new luxury (another myth that your heartless fans have spread far and wide)?

So, in your own words, tell us why it is SO IMPORTANT to reschedule the game to 2019 or 2020, rather than 2024 or 2025? Honestly, Miami has experience with this. When FIU football players started a brawl with Miami football players, we put the game on ice for a few years in order to let the hostilities die down. Guess who Miami is going to play soon? That's right, FIU.

Settle down and take the game when you get it. What is so HUGELY IMPORTANT about playing the game in 2020 rather than 2024? Other than the fact that this is just another overblown demand that the A-State AD is making so that he can "look tuff" in Arkansas?

Give us a reason. Tell us why 2019/2020 is essential, and 2024/2025 can't possibly work.

Advertisement
Its still embarassing how ASU said we were afraid to play them despite one of the largest hurricanes on record heading right at us.

I wouldn't settle with ASU for a nickel. What a terrible attitude to take as a school.

You guys have got to realize at some point, that making these offers were an empty gesture to try and win you points as more stand up than the total ****bags you are asking people to leave their families in the path of a potentially catastrophic event, right? You all have to know at this point that no matter what bull**** things you tried to do to make it easier or less expensive, kids and staff weren't leaving their mothers/wives/children alone to fend for themselves, and that these offers become more desperation and insult, don't you?

"Points"? This offer was made as early as Wednesday. a full three days before the game. One could say that ASU offered your athletes and staff safety by making the offers we extended to UM. I live within a short distance of MIami for the winter months and never gave any consideration to leaving my home or the area.

"Points"? This offer was made as early as Wednesday. a full three days before the game. One could say that ASU offered your athletes and staff safety by making the offers we extended to UM. I live within a short distance of MIami for the winter months and never gave any consideration to leaving my home or the area.

Even assuming this gets removed to federal court, uh, good luck. You guys want a jury trial and I'm sure jurors in the Southern District of Florida are going to be sympathetic to your argument that a Cat 5 storm shouldn't get in the way of flying halfway cross the country to play a football game. Right.

Your university leadership is not just petty, they're also dumb. Once it comes out in discovery that Miami didn't even practice that week, that the entire school spent the week preparing for the storm, not to mention all the grave warnings from elected officials (which certainly triggers the cancellation clause), and so much more, I'm not sure we don't not only not settle but that we countersue for attorney's fees.

Not to mention your school guaranteed no P5 team will ever schedule a game at Jonesboro.

Instead of arguing on our board, you should be calling your school's general counsel office and asking them to drop the suit before it gets worse for them

Time doesn't matter when you have a force like that heading your way. You take care of your family. you cant burden these young men to play ball while worried about their families here. Plus you come here in the winter time and are a snowbird so you wouldn't understand.

Advertisement

In a sport where games are scheduled 12 years in advance, UM asking for an additional 3 years hardly seems unreasonable. Also, pursuant to the contract, the rescheduling need not occur simply when it is possible for Miami to play the game, the rescheduling will occur "as such exigencies may permit or dicate." UM is not obligated to bend over backwards to reschedule ASU.

I wouldn't have expected you to get it.

In a sport where games are scheduled 12 years in advance, UM asking for an additional 3 years hardly seems unreasonable. Also, pursuant to the contract, the rescheduling need not occur simply when it is possible for Miami to play the game, the rescheduling will occur "as such exigencies may permit or dicate." UM is not obligated to bend over backwards to reschedule ASU.

ASU apparently expects us to be okay with only 5 home games in either 2020 or 2021. Yes we have an open date, but that's really reserved for a 6th home game.

Again, this is something that can be fleshed out in court. Does ASU have examples of any other P5 team only playing 5 home games in a season? If not, their demand is unreasonable

Advertisement

The only leg you MIGHT have to stand on is the reschedule date. The rest of the non-sense regarding how far ASU bent over for UM is highly inconsequential. The fact of the matter is that a Hurricane is not a one day event, or a sprinkle of showers. Most of the athletes are from around the state and went back to help their families prepare for the hurricane. Many of those families relied on those students to come home and help them prepare for the hurricane.

If you're telling us that ASU was willing to fly the athletes and their families, put them up, and allow them a place to stay throughout the entirety of the hurricane... well then fu*k me UM is screwed. That doesn't sound like what you're saying. But the fact that ASU is relying on those offers to UM without ever mentioning the families and the communities of those kids, shows that not one of the people involved in the process knows what its like to live in an area filled that is hit by a natural disaster--otherwise this lawsuit wouldn't exist.

Look, I'm actually going to be polite, though your fanbase doesn't deserve it. Let's take things in chronological order.

First, nobody cares about what your dipsh!te AD offered to UM. We didn't need the game on Friday, we didn't need our flights paid for, we didn't need "lodging" for a week or more after the game. I don't think that the ASU fans actually comprehend this. NOTHING in the way of "accomodation" was going to be worthwhile on that weekend, due to the magnitude of the hurricane. I truly wish there was some sort of an "empathy gene" inside of the Arkansas inbreds, but apparently this is not the case. Changing a football game's time by 24 hours wasn't the issue. And even if THAT was going to be some sort of scheduling "solution", there was absolutely NOTHING that could have been done about the "economic impact" to Jonesboro. First, how many ASU fans would have missed the Friday game due to work? How many ASU fans would not have been able to travel and bestow Jonesboro with all of their "economic impact". Even more, how many UM fans do you think would have travelled to Jonesboro on a Friday? At the very best, you would have been staring down a game with a half-empty stadium and no TV coverage, with the "Jonesboro community" getting nothing in the way of hotel and restaurant income.

To add onto this first point, the issue is, was, and always has been the ENTIRE University of Miami community, of which the football team and support staff are only a part. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the LIES perpetuated on the ASU websites, such as the false claim that our entire team decamped to Disney World instead of flying to Jonesboro. Again, ALL STUDENTS (not just the football players) and ALL EMPLOYEES (not just the football support staff) were released from work to prepare their HOMES and FAMILIES for what was supposed to be the most severe hurricane in modern history. Only a handful of players and staff WHO ARE NOT FROM FLORIDA relocated to Orlando for the storm. Our governor declared an emergency. Our airports shut down. Our interstate highway system (and toll roads) were made "one-way" to facilitate evacuation. Our students and employees who are from South Florida went to their HOMES to be with their FAMILIES. And, hey, maybe it should go without saying, but some of our football players HAVE CHILDREN OF THEIR OWN. Going to Jonesboro was not just some fun field trip that could be "made better" by your idiot AD's "oh-so-generous" offer to fly the team out early and house the team after the storm.

Honestly, I wish there was some way to teach the people of Arkansas what it is like to prepare for, experience, and recover from a major hurricane without, you know, actually wishing a Category Five hurricane to hit Arkansas. Give me a few suggestions.

Now let's move on to the second level, rescheduling the game during 2017. I'm not sure if you Arkansas dimwits can comprehend this, but the FIRST PRIORITY is to reschedule conference games. That is actually a mandate from the ACC (new motto, "Hey, most of our teams are located in hurricane areas, maybe we should revise our standard contracts accordingly") to reschedule conference games FIRST. And, I'm not sure if you Arkansas geniuses figured this out, but the game cancellations WERE NOT LIMITED TO THAT WEEKEND. Thus, many Florida schools actually had to reschedule MORE THAN ONE WEEKEND. Arkansas State is NOT the only OOC game cancellation involving a Florida-based opponent. Look it up if you don't believe me. The fact remains, Miami had to reschedule the UM-F$U game, which is a far more pressing concern than rescheduling Arkansas State. AND AFTER THAT, WE HAD NO REMAINING WEEKENDS AVAILABLE. Again, Arkansas State fans could consult an almanac (or the interwebz) to figure out that Miami made it into the ACC-CG, and thus we had NO AVAILABILITY to reschedule Arkansas State after we had to reschedule F$U in our only available weekend. Honestly, what in the HELLLLL did you expect Miami to do? When would you have rescheduled the Miami game in 2017? Give me some answers, please.

Finally, let's move on to 2020 and 2021. Yes, the rocket scientist A-State AD has claimed to have consulted with Miss Cleo and fbschedules.com in order to figure out HIS PREFERRED DATE for Miami to reschedule. But the reality is, your AD is completely clueless as to what Miami has been planning for our future football schedules, he only knows what has been announced to the general public. I realize that the "empathy gene" is not going to help A-State fans at this point, so let me just say that this is "first world problems". A Power Five conference team cannot merely schedule sub-par opponents willy-nilly. Just this past year, we saw teams such as Wisconsin getting crapped on for their "strength of schedule", and it is very likely that UCF was denied a berth in the Final Four simply because they had to CANCEL a game with Power Five opponent Georgia Tech, due to a certain pesky little hurricane. Just because your PhD AD thinks he sees an opening on Miami's schedule doesn't make it so. Miami has to balance a host of competing concerns in scheduling, and "playing A-State when A-State demands" isn't on the list. At this current time, there are more openings in the 2024-2025 timeframe (so far, we have only pencilled-in Notre Dame on our dancecards), but for some unexplainable reason, A-State's brilliant AD wants to pout and stamp his feet.

Honestly, what do you Arkansas nimrods think is going to magically happen in 2019 or 2020? That our fans are going to mysteriously forget how horribly you have treated us, and then kindly make the journey to Jonesboro to bestow all of your crappy businesses with our "economic impact"? Do you honestly believe that you are going to try to play Miami before Mark Richt has 5 or 6 recruiting classes behind him, and "catch us unaware" when we have "less depth" at key positions? Or are you planning some secret renovation of your locker rooms, but your AD is too stubborn to let Miami enjoy the new luxury (another myth that your heartless fans have spread far and wide)?

So, in your own words, tell us why it is SO IMPORTANT to reschedule the game to 2019 or 2020, rather than 2024 or 2025? Honestly, Miami has experience with this. When FIU football players started a brawl with Miami football players, we put the game on ice for a few years in order to let the hostilities die down. Guess who Miami is going to play soon? That's right, FIU.

Settle down and take the game when you get it. What is so HUGELY IMPORTANT about playing the game in 2020 rather than 2024? Other than the fact that this is just another overblown demand that the A-State AD is making so that he can "look tuff" in Arkansas?

Give us a reason. Tell us why 2019/2020 is essential, and 2024/2025 can't possibly work.

Whew, wow! Calm down a little. Not sure if I can understand what all you are trying to say here but will give it a try. The offer to move the game time and pay expenses was an accomodation to UM and for its benefit. There was no benefit in ASU making these offers other than the fullfillment of the contract and playing the game. Just as you point out, moving the game would have created alot of difficulties to ASU, ESPN, its fans and the entire Jonesboro community. Sorry, but I am unaware of any ASU fans claiming your team enjoyed some stay at Disney. Perhaps someone may have made a poor attempt at a joke but I have never seen anyone making this claim and I follow ASU news closely. I will add that I live a short distance from Miami during the winter months. I have lived through hurricanes at other east coast locations, earthquakes on the west coast and tornadoes in the mid west and Arkansas. I never gave one thought to leaving south Florida or my home at any time.

Again, I have no knowledge of any fan or ASU official asking that our game be scheduled in 2017. We had our own schedule to complete. After the game's cancellation however, our AD did ask UM to reschedule in 2020 and 2021 so your AD was aware of our desired dates early on. Your AD asked that we not prusue the matter further until after the season ended which we agreed to do.

Arkansas State is also a FBS school and also spends similar time to UM on its scheduling. We have games now scheduled for years out, including P5 games. UM had dates available during our desired time frame but wanted to reserve these dates for FCS competition, a lower football division with less competitive teams. It was not impossible to reschedule our game but merely inconvenient for UM to do so during 20/21.

Your words such as "how horrible you have treated us", "wanting to "catch us unaware", "less depth" or the "secret renovation" of our $20 million locker room/new end zone facility is too silly to offer any response. All that ASU is guilty of is asking UM to honor its contract for a return home game in a timely manner.

Best part of the Complaint is paragraph 23: "On September 13, 2014, UM defeated ASU by a score of 41 to 20 in Game 1." The score has no impact on the legal discussion whatsoever, but UM's counsel included it anyway. Good times.

it does have an impact. every paragraph has a purpose. this one is to show that the defendant came to miami and performed the contract in miami and therefore is subject to jurisdiction in miami

Advertisement
Regardless of what happens from this case, we still owe them a massacre of epic proportions. Idc where it’s played or when, we can play in Turkey at 3am for all I care, I want Miami to be a footnote in Ark St records for worst *** kicking ever received.

Ethered!

it does have an impact. every paragraph has a purpose. this one is to show that the defendant came to miami and performed the contract in miami and therefore is subject to jurisdiction in miami

I understand personal jurisdiction and Florida's long-arm statute.
If you care to re-read what I wrote, honestly ask yourself whether I said the paragraph has no purpose, or that the score was of no legal consequence. There is a difference. By way of example, that paragraph could have simply read: "On September 13, 2014, ASU played UM in Game 1 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida." Jurisdiction accomplished (without including the score). Again, the score has no legal consequence.

cAllous SUckbags

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Ff8c8bc172fa210c87b21b31b0299d353%2F205641364%2FRTX3F6KY.jpeg

irma-storm-destruction-hurricane-1057760.jpg

irma-cuba-flooded-streets-ap-ps-170910_4x3_992.jpg

ap_17255096683722.jpg

59b321a8e6bad.image.jpg

As someone who saw firsthand the devastation of Hurricane Andrew, and knows full well that Irma had the potential to be much MUCH worse, hate simply doesn't begin to describe how I feel about these dip****s that think UM somehow damaged them or owe them something because the University made sane and correct decisions in the face of an impending natural disaster.

I'll allow that they may simply be misguided, but their callousness, lack of empathy, pure selfishness and lack of common sense and decency are beyond glaring.

Advertisement
Back