A-State to sue Miami if payment not made for cancelled game

"Points"? This offer was made as early as Wednesday. a full three days before the game. One could say that ASU offered your athletes and staff safety by making the offers we extended to UM. I live within a short distance of MIami for the winter months and never gave any consideration to leaving my home or the area.

Yes, "one could say that".

On the other hand, you yourself point out that you never gave any consideration to leaving.

So, yeah, maybe our "athletes and staff" are part of a larger South Florida community that prefers to take care of their OWN HOMES and their OWN FAMILIES.

Honestly, what would it take to get an "apples-to-apples" comparison here? I realize that it is hard to compare a tornado, they arise rapidly and disappear just as rapidly.

So, hey, let's pretend a massive wildfire is engulfing much of Arkansas. It is headed towards Jonesboro.

Do you leave your family behind? Do you go to another state, just because (let's say) your employer offers YOU a plane trip and a hotel room so that YOU can evacuate and keep doing WORK for your employer?

Seriously, this whole issue is insane. Are people from Arkansas this stupid? They think it is such a SWEET DEAL that Miami was offered, to fly out in advance of a hurricane and to leave FAMILIES and HOMES behind?

Advertisement
ASU fan here. There are several issues in this matter but the primary one concerns the rescheduling of our game. UM had the opportunity to reschedule in 2020/2021 but chose to offer dates in 2024 and 2025 which were unacceptable to ASU. UM claimed it had no available dates until the later years but this was not true. Dates were available in the time frame we desired but your athletic department did not want to schedule our game because the earlier dates claimed to be filled were set aside and available for scheduling FCS opponents. It was not impossible to reschedule our game but rather inconvenient for UM to do so. ASU believes it went the extra distance in an attempt to work with UM but your UM failed to respond in kind. Keep in mind that we offered to move the game to Friday, offered to pay for the UM flights, offered to provide lodging, and offered our indoor work out facility in the event the teams return would be delayed. We asked your UM to reschedule our game immediately following the cancellation but was told to wait until after the season so he was aware of our desired dates early on in the discussions.

I'm sure the missed game was important to ASU. What happened obviously happened out of our concern for our student athletes. Obviously most of ASU never experienced a hurricane, its aftermath, and its impact on local families. If so you'd more than understand our caution given the information that was available then. Personally, I'm proud that the University placed the welfare of the players and allowed them to be home to help and protect their families before $$$.

Just out of curiosity, why the importance of making up this game pronto versus a later date or after we've played our committed future schedule? Miami will still be around and more than likely be a bigger draw as we continue winning. Odds are that whenever its played in the next 10-15 years ASU will lose. So why not lose making more $$$ later ....than lose now and make less $$$, ....while also developing the rep nationally as a prick? OR Honestly is it simply that you(ASU) were counting on that cash from the game and need it asap? You can't just be dying to play us to add a sure loss.

I do understand that not playing the game regardless of the circumstances, resulted in you losing some potential revenue. Rolling the dice with a prick lawsuit "may" result in $650,000 less the lawyer's 33-40% cut, minus the lawyer's additional costs if we appeal, which is 99.9% likely. There are just so many better ways of solving a cash flow issue which it increasingly seems to be for you(ASU) without losing face. So lets play nice

I see this being settled out of court. Its still not certain where the lawsuit would be heard, sure you have an advantage if its in Ark but IF you(ASU) play nice the rewards can be far greater than $200-300 you'd be lucky to end up with by suing and winning after our lengthy, costly appeals. Worse case and its possible...you(ASU) have a possibility of getting nothing . NO $$$ along with NO game along with a bad reputation for being a prick.

So work with us to set a later date and take that *** whuppin in front of your fans and get more $$$ later OR we help you get a short term secured Vito loan and you go away if you just need some walking around money for now. Either let's way stop this nonsense.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, almost forgot about this. Florida evacuee traffic backed up all the way from Atlanta. And don't forget about gas shortages. But sure, players and coaches should be off playing a football game in Jonesboro, AR instead of being with their mamas, special ladies, and childrens.

GTFOH...
Hurricane_Irma_Georgia_05572-54940.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, "one could say that".

On the other hand, you yourself point out that you never gave any consideration to leaving.

So, yeah, maybe our "athletes and staff" are part of a larger South Florida community that prefers to take care of their OWN HOMES and their OWN FAMILIES.

Honestly, what would it take to get an "apples-to-apples" comparison here? I realize that it is hard to compare a tornado, they arise rapidly and disappear just as rapidly.

So, hey, let's pretend a massive wildfire is engulfing much of Arkansas. It is headed towards Jonesboro.

Do you leave your family behind? Do you go to another state, just because (let's say) your employer offers YOU a plane trip and a hotel room so that YOU can evacuate and keep doing WORK for your employer?

Seriously, this whole issue is insane. Are people from Arkansas this stupid? They think it is such a SWEET DEAL that Miami was offered, to fly out in advance of a hurricane and to leave FAMILIES and HOMES behind?[/QUOT

You guys keep bringing up the hurricane. Its not in debate that there was a hurricane. The debate centers on two points: 1) did the game to be played 1200 miles away from the hurricane have to be cancelled. 2) the issue, as pointed out early on, was it possible to reschedule the return game in 20/21 as ASU wanted. One UM fan here asked why UM had to cater to ASU while seemingly agreeing that an early game in 20/21 could have been scheduled. Some UM fans do seem to think UM enjoys some superior position in this matter because its UM vs ASU but we see it as a contract matter that UM failed to honor. One last point, Arkansas State has never failed to honor its legal obligations, here or elsewhere.

Advertisement

"...as such exigencies may permit or dictate." That language clearly does not obligate UM to schedule a game merely the next time there is any opening on the schedule.

Whew, wow! Calm down a little. Not sure if I can understand what all you are trying to say here but will give it a try. The offer to move the game time and pay expenses was an accomodation to UM and for its benefit. There was no benefit in ASU making these offers other than the fullfillment of the contract and playing the game. Just as you point out, moving the game would have created alot of difficulties to ASU, ESPN, its fans and the entire Jonesboro community. Sorry, but I am unaware of any ASU fans claiming your team enjoyed some stay at Disney. Perhaps someone may have made a poor attempt at a joke but I have never seen anyone making this claim and I follow ASU news closely. I will add that I live a short distance from Miami during the winter months. I have lived through hurricanes at other east coast locations, earthquakes on the west coast and tornadoes in the mid west and Arkansas. I never gave one thought to leaving south Florida or my home at any time.

Again, I have no knowledge of any fan or ASU official asking that our game be scheduled in 2017. We had our own schedule to complete. After the game's cancellation however, our AD did ask UM to reschedule in 2020 and 2021 so your AD was aware of our desired dates early on. Your AD asked that we not prusue the matter further until after the season ended which we agreed to do.

Arkansas State is also a FBS school and also spends similar time to UM on its scheduling. We have games now scheduled for years out, including P5 games. UM had dates available during our desired time frame but wanted to reserve these dates for FCS competition, a lower football division with less competitive teams. It was not impossible to reschedule our game but merely inconvenient for UM to do so during 20/21.

Your words such as "how horrible you have treated us", "wanting to "catch us unaware", "less depth" or the "secret renovation" of our $20 million locker room/new end zone facility is too silly to offer any response. All that ASU is guilty of is asking UM to honor its contract for a return home game in a timely manner.

Wait, you come to our board, and then you tell ME to "calm down a little"? How rich.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and respond as if everything you said is truthful.

You found our board, CanesInsight, even though it is not associated with Rivals or Scout or ESPN or 247 Sports. However, I would simply direct you to "A State Nation", which is affiliated with 247 Sports. A moderator/writer (under an anonymous "log-in name") for that website wrote several scurrilous attack articles at the time, ripping Miami and its fans for the cancellation of the game.

That same moderator/writer went on to post in numerous threads where he and other ASU fans told breathless lies about how Miami's football team was going to Disney's Wide World of Sports complex in order to practice and avoid the storm.

Furthermore, there were numerous other lies told about Miami, its AD, its coach, and everyone else involved in the discussion. There was a lie told about how Miami's AD (or one of his employees) balked when visiting the ASU locker rooms, even going so far as to say that the facilities were inadequate and that ASU should give its home locker rooms to Miami for the game.

As for the rescheduling of the game in 2017, yes, you can ALSO find plenty of discussion of this, as well as numerous articles (some even written by ACTUAL sportswriters from Arkansas) which discuss Miami's "horrendous" actions, presenting the issue as if Miami should (a) forfeit the game, (b) make immediate payment, and/or (c) give some other sort of future (but nearly immediate) restitution. All you have to do is Google this nonsense, there are plenty of articles out there.

So, sure, taking you at face-value, I can understand it if you are "unaware" of the disinformation campaign that ASU fans and websites perpetuated against UM and its fans, even if you claim to follow ASU news "closely". But do not continue to maintain your ignorance any longer. Go out there and search for the articles that were written. Go back and read the old threads on A State Nation. You don't have to take my word for it, you can find out for yourself.

As for the rest of your nonsense, please, do NOT compare ASU to Miami in any way, shape, or form. I realize you need to schedule 12 games per year, but that is where the comparisons end. ASU is not under any consideration for a Final Four playoff berth. Miami is. You'll forgive our need to assemble a strong "strength of schedule" rating. I'm sorry this is not the same concern for ASU, but I literally gave you two examples of Top 25 teams that suffered THIS YEAR due to their weak strength-of-schedule ratings.

You can say whatever you want. You can believe whatever you want. I've already made it clear that there was, literally, nothing that the ASU AD could offer that would have made UM play that game on that weekend. But you keep brushing that off as if there was some magic combination of niceties that would have obviated the threat of a Category Five hurricane destroying South Florida. So, just stop repeating yourself. Nobody cares what your AD offered. Nothing mattered. The game was NOT going to be played.

So now we are down to the issue of rescheduling. And the ONLY thing that matters is that Miami offered dates, and those dates "aren't good enough" for ASU.

We can argue a million other issues. But you need to be honest. This is ONLY about ASU's AD (and fans) having hurt feelings. And that you don't want to "appear weak". You can't accept the game offered because your AD (and fans) are just being pouty babies. There is nothing "wrong" or "inadequate" about playing a game in 2024 or 2025. Your AD (and fans) are LITERALLY getting ****ed off by a few years on the schedule.

That's it. Nobody is going to remember or care about "the Jonesboro community" losing all of that "economic impact", particularly when it is not even relevant to this case (i.e., if Miami had played the game, the "economic impact" to Jonesboro would have been disastrous for a hastily-rescheduled Friday game).

What this ENTIRE CASE boils down to is that Miami offered a game, and it's not "soon enough" for the ASU AD (and fans).

Seriously.

And you wonder why people laugh at Arkansas and its residents.

Arkansas which was recently named the 3rd worst state in which to live

3. Arkansas
> Employment rate: 65.1% (12th lowest)
> Household disposable income per capita: $24,150 (3rd lowest)
> Homicide rate: 5.3 per 100,000 (15th highest)
> Voter turnout: 53.3% (4th lowest)
Like a majority of the states with the worst quality of life, Arkansas residents were relatively poor compared to other Americans. Per capita household disposable income was less than $25,000 last year, nearly the lowest in the nation. Also, nearly one in five state residents lived below the poverty line in 2013, more than in all but three other states. Perhaps due in part to financial burdens, many residents did not participate in politics. Just 53.3% of eligible state residents chose to vote last year, nearly the lowest voter turnout rate nationwide.

Dumb Laws in Arkansas
It’s strictly prohibited to pronounce “Arkansas” incorrectly
The Arkansas River can rise no higher than to the Main Street bridge in Little Rock.
A law provides that school teachers who bob their hair will not get a raise.
A man can legally beat his wife, but not more than once a month.
Oral *** is considered to be sodomy.
Alligators may not be kept in bathtubs.

Is there actually someone on here trying to argue a point for these wannabe dip****s?

I saw one of these fools tweet they trim around their power lines every other year in anticipation of ice as a comparison for what we went through down here.

F-them.

Litigate them into bankruptcy before you give them a penny.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Taking your points in reverse...

You have NO IDEA whether ASU has ever failed to honor its legal obligations. NO IDEA. You are coming here to make a blanket claim that in over 100 years, ASU has "never" failed to honor its legal obligations. Look, if you had limited yourself to "football team", maybe people could take you seriously. But, no, you HAD to overreach.

As for rescheduling, you fail (once again) to acknowledge that there is nothing that forces the rescheduling to take place in the earliest available year. Miami offered 2024 or 2025, and gave a reason for not choosing 2020 or 2021, even if ASU doesn't like our reason. ASU offered 2020 or 2021 and offered no reason for those years and no reason for rejecting 2024 or 2025. Any court (even a biased court in Arkansas) can easily conclude which school is being more reasonable.

As for the hurricane, again, you are being insane, even once it is pointed out to you. "1200 miles away" means nothing. Even you admit that you would not evacuate for a natural disaster. Thus, literally, EVERYTHING ELSE you bring up is hot air. It means nothing. It is irrelevant. Your AD's offers of "assistance" were poorly-conceived efforts to make ASU look good and UM look bad. Everyone (not from Arkansas) can see that, even judges.

But, hey, feel free to keep repeating your ridiculous talking points. And we'll keep laughing at you.

When Vilma and Francis came to South Florida, I remember distinctly being out of power for more than a month. We had to, as a neighborhood, literally cut our way with chainsaws and axes to the main highway because of all the trees that have fallen down.

I can remember distinctly sitting on an ice cooler drinking at the age of 17 as a deputy sheriff was talking to my stepfather, and after working for 12 hours straight with a chainsaw, no longer caring if the police saw me drinking a beer or not.

And he didnt care. You know why? BECAUSE THE WHOLE COUNTY WAS FLOODED.

South Floridians know about hurricanes.

I swear, do not settle for a dime. I pity the ASU attorney trying convince people in South Florida that they are right and hurricanes are not that big of a deal.

Regardless of what happens from this case, we still owe them a massacre of epic proportions. Idc where it’s played or when, we can play in Turkey at 3am for all I care, I want Miami to be a footnote in Ark St records for worst *** kicking ever received.

Please discuss with your AD. It is ASU asking that for the game to be scheduled early as possible. Your AD would rather play a weak FCS team. Seems both of us is complaining about how your AD wants to schedule.

Whew, wow! Calm down a little. Not sure if I can understand what all you are trying to say here but will give it a try. The offer to move the game time and pay expenses was an accomodation to UM and for its benefit.

Don't know why folks are even trying to argue w/ you at this point.

Advertisement
Please discuss with your AD. It is ASU asking that for the game to be scheduled early as possible. Your AD would rather play a weak FCS team. Seems both of us is complaining about how your AD wants to schedule.

If the ultimate outcome is a game is finally played, whether in 2021 or 2024, my legal opinion is that you inbreds will first be throat fūcked, then skull fūcked, and then teabagged. Prepare for a record setting day of football.

Personally, if I were advising the powers that be at ASU, I would be advising them to figure out an exit strategy, because you are setting yourselves up for a record setting day of embarrassment. It’s going to be a house of horrors for you.

You are probably thinking this is just vulgar bravado and hyperbole.

It isn’t.

The entire University of Miami community, from the President, to the administration, to the athletic department, to the coaching staff, the players, and the student body, are all unified in their disgust with the of lack common human decency that the people at Arkansas State have exhibited.

ASU has clearly shown that they have complete disregard for the safety of the families of the Miami Hurricanes players, coaches and families by expecting them to abandon their spouses, children and babies to fend for themselves while a murderous category 5 hurricane was forecast to pass directly over them.

Make no mistake, the entire Miami hurricanes community is justifiably angry at the callousness and ignorance of ASU.

Be careful what you wish for.

LOL. Dude you guys are one step above FCS. lol. Finally the truth comes out. You guys actually got pumped for ALMOST beating a weak Nebraska team and you were all jacked up on Mountain Dew thinking we were going to come in to your town and get a rude awakening.

Anyways, say bye bye to any future games against power 5 teams who have a shot w/ a CFP birth.

Advertisement
Wait, you come to our board, and then you tell ME to "calm down a little"? How rich.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and respond as if everything you said is truthful.

You found our board, CanesInsight, even though it is not associated with Rivals or Scout or ESPN or 247 Sports. However, I would simply direct you to "A State Nation", which is affiliated with 247 Sports. A moderator/writer (under an anonymous "log-in name") for that website wrote several scurrilous attack articles at the time, ripping Miami and its fans for the cancellation of the game.

That same moderator/writer went on to post in numerous threads where he and other ASU fans told breathless lies about how Miami's football team was going to Disney's Wide World of Sports complex in order to practice and avoid the storm.

Furthermore, there were numerous other lies told about Miami, its AD, its coach, and everyone else involved in the discussion. There was a lie told about how Miami's AD (or one of his employees) balked when visiting the ASU locker rooms, even going so far as to say that the facilities were inadequate and that ASU should give its home locker rooms to Miami for the game.

As for the rescheduling of the game in 2017, yes, you can ALSO find plenty of discussion of this, as well as numerous articles (some even written by ACTUAL sportswriters from Arkansas) which discuss Miami's "horrendous" actions, presenting the issue as if Miami should (a) forfeit the game, (b) make immediate payment, and/or (c) give some other sort of future (but nearly immediate) restitution. All you have to do is Google this nonsense, there are plenty of articles out there.

So, sure, taking you at face-value, I can understand it if you are "unaware" of the disinformation campaign that ASU fans and websites perpetuated against UM and its fans, even if you claim to follow ASU news "closely". But do not continue to maintain your ignorance any longer. Go out there and search for the articles that were written. Go back and read the old threads on A State Nation. You don't have to take my word for it, you can find out for yourself.

As for the rest of your nonsense, please, do NOT compare ASU to Miami in any way, shape, or form. I realize you need to schedule 12 games per year, but that is where the comparisons end. ASU is not under any consideration for a Final Four playoff berth. Miami is. You'll forgive our need to assemble a strong "strength of schedule" rating. I'm sorry this is not the same concern for ASU, but I literally gave you two examples of Top 25 teams that suffered THIS YEAR due to their weak strength-of-schedule ratings.

You can say whatever you want. You can believe whatever you want. I've already made it clear that there was, literally, nothing that the ASU AD could offer that would have made UM play that game on that weekend. But you keep brushing that off as if there was some magic combination of niceties that would have obviated the threat of a Category Five hurricane destroying South Florida. So, just stop repeating yourself. Nobody cares what your AD offered. Nothing mattered. The game was NOT going to be played.

So now we are down to the issue of rescheduling. And the ONLY thing that matters is that Miami offered dates, and those dates "aren't good enough" for ASU.

We can argue a million other issues. But you need to be honest. This is ONLY about ASU's AD (and fans) having hurt feelings. And that you don't want to "appear weak". You can't accept the game offered because your AD (and fans) are just being pouty babies. There is nothing "wrong" or "inadequate" about playing a game in 2024 or 2025. Your AD (and fans) are LITERALLY getting ****ed off by a few years on the schedule.

That's it. Nobody is going to remember or care about "the Jonesboro community" losing all of that "economic impact", particularly when it is not even relevant to this case (i.e., if Miami had played the game, the "economic impact" to Jonesboro would have been disastrous for a hastily-rescheduled Friday game).

What this ENTIRE CASE boils down to is that Miami offered a game, and it's not "soon enough" for the ASU AD (and fans).

Seriously.

Are you asking me to defend every statement by an ASU fan? I can't do that and wouldn't think you would want to defend some of your fans and their comments. I read our board and yes our fans were upset over the cancellation and the fact that no game has been rescheduled. Think its fair to say that each fan base is bias towards their team and that is to be expected.

In this post, you speak about the final four and your need to schedule for strength of schedule rating. I wasn't aware that UM was thinking final four but if your AD wants to schedule with these issues in mind, that is his decision. However, if that is the fact, why would he choose to schedule lower division FCS teams rather than a stronger, better rated SOS rated FBS team? The fact that the game wasn't played that particular week end is not the major issue with me. Given that it was your team that had to fly and return home with a storm on its way, that was UM's decision and they made it. But your AD should have been immediately prepared to reschedule or pay the damages due under the contract. Frankly, we wouldn't consider damages of $650K that big of a deal if the ball was in our court, why should it be for UM? If it is was impossible not to reschedule until 20/21, so be it but that was not the case, it was simply more convenient for UM to wait.

I will add that I live a short distance from Miami during the winter months. I have lived through hurricanes at other east coast locations, earthquakes on the west coast and tornadoes in the mid west and Arkansas. I never gave one thought to leaving south Florida or my home at any time.

What an assinine statement

So was it a Cat 5 direct hit you rode out? Where you in Homestead in '92? Xenia, Ohio in '74? Let me guess, you were on Mt. St Helens in '80...I'm sure you "never gave one thought" because that would tax your pea brain.

So does being an A-State fan get you a stocker's job unloading cheap $#!+ from China at Wal-Mart? I guess if you graduate, you can move up to management trainee.

Did an FTX at Camp Robinson AR and a rotation at the JRTC, Ft. Chafee AR...Your state is a $#!+hole.

Now go
200.gif

Are you asking me to defend every statement by an ASU fan? I can't do that and wouldn't think you would want to defend some of your fans and their comments. I read our board and yes our fans were upset over the cancellation and the fact that no game has been rescheduled. Think its fair to say that each fan base is bias towards their team and that is to be expected.

In this post, you speak about the final four and your need to schedule for strength of schedule rating. I wasn't aware that UM was thinking final four but if your AD wants to schedule with these issues in mind, that is his decision. However, if that is the fact, why would he choose to schedule lower division FCS teams rather than a stronger, better rated SOS rated FBS team? The fact that the game wasn't played that particular week end is not the major issue with me. Given that it was your team that had to fly and return home with a storm on its way, that was UM's decision and they made it. But your AD should have been immediately prepared to reschedule or pay the damages due under the contract. Frankly, we wouldn't consider damages of $650K that big of a deal if the ball was in our court, why should it be for UM? If it is was impossible not to reschedule until 20/21, so be it but that was not the case, it was simply more convenient for UM to wait.

One of these times you are actually going to read the contract. The rescheduling will occur "as such exigencies may permit or dictate." UM is under no obligation to schedule it in a manner that is inconvenient for them.

Just stop posting. You’ve yet to say anything of substance. It’s just “we were really nice about trying to get this game in during a Hurricane,” and “once the game is cancelled, Miami has to legally reschedule the gsme for the second it can literally be played.” Even though that’s not how schedules work, and everybody understands that.
Eight is a good number of posts to go out on. Just let it be.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back