A Question about Bryce Young

Jalen Hurts threw for 2,000 yards in 14 games and they still won a natty.
Hurts was a replacement for a ‘miss’. Blake-something. 5* kid pulled in the first quarter of his first start, season opener against Southern Cal. Bama won 52-6 and the 5* transferred by the end of September (ended up at USF on his third stop). Hurts never looked back until Tua arrived a year later.

Sabag misses, it’s just he isn’t playing with one bullet. He has a full chamber.

Advertisement
From the tone of your posts (#45 & #46), we should shut the program down. There is ZERO chance of an upset even though upsets happen, just not in the Hurricanes orbit. Am I right? :unsure:
Its called an opinon.......when the Fkc did i say shut down the program? Its like if you don't put on a cheerleading outfit and see eveyrthing rosy colored you aren't a fan. Every year its the same crap with we are going 12-0 and 11-1.......for twenty years and we don't see the actual issues with the team and then the year starts. Last year was a great step up. And Manny has done a great job fixing the most important spot, the QB. But this year's team stinks at LB and DE, until proven otherwise. Its hard to stop teams with those two spots being an issue. I hope we kill it and i can come on here and say how wrong i am.

Will be interesting how he does. I have no doubt that he's the goods, can move really well but like any other first year guy, can be rattled. The danger comes with Manny's defense and back 7 has backs turned chasing guys all around and the kid kills us running on 3rd and longs. But, that's the old Baker defense - wonder Manny;s apporoach
Wasn’t that our defense too before Baker? Or does that go back to Lasagna?

When Manny called plays, how did we do against dual threat QBs?

I remember the UVA qb, and Syracuse had a game with a QB who took about 85 hits (tough as nails).
Jimmy Johnson often had trouble against dual threat QBs. Pressure defenses can be prone to that.

Advertisement
Its called an opinon.......when the Fkc did i say shut down the program? Its like if you don't put on a cheerleading outfit and see eveyrthing rosy colored you aren't a fan. Every year its the same crap with we are going 12-0 and 11-1.......for twenty years and we don't see the actual issues with the team and then the year starts. Last year was a great step up. And Manny has done a great job fixing the most important spot, the QB. But this year's team stinks at LB and DE, until proven otherwise. Its hard to stop teams with those two spots being an issue. I hope we kill it and i can come on here and say how wrong i am.

Youre living in the past and that’s on you.

Advertisement
They must have watched the UNC and OSU game
In fairness why should the casual media outlet think we could compete with the #1 team in the country when we got the **** beat out of us by any team with decent talent?

Bama had their first scrimmage yesterday. Here are the notes from one of their 247 guys:

Alabama took part in its first of two preseason scrimmages Saturday at Bryant-Denny Stadium. It lasted roughly 160 plays and just over two hours on a cloudy afternoon in Tuscaloosa.

-- Quarterback Bryce Young accounted for three touchdowns and one interception as he led the first-team offense. His touchdowns ended up in the hands of wide receiver JoJo Earle (8 yards), tight end Cameron Latu (13 yards) and running back Trey Sanders (20 yards). The touchdown to Sanders occurred during a 2-minute drill. Sanders, who missed the second half of last season due to a hip injury, had a really good day as he earned some first-team reps.

-- Quarterback Paul Tyson also threw a touchdown pass in the scrimmage -- a 60-yard score to wide receiver Thaiu Jones-Bell. Tyson nearly led the second offense on another scoring drive in a 2-minute situation, but safety Kristian Story forced a tailback to fumble near the goal line.

-- All of the UA quarterbacks were playing behind offensive lines that were missing their normal personnel. Both Evan Neal and Chris Owens watched the scrimmage from the sideline, so that meant Kendall Randolph moved from right tackle to left tackle with JC Latham stepping in at right tackle and Darrian Dalcourt joining the group at center. Amari Kight and Damieon George also saw snaps with the ones. Randolph sprained his ankle in the scrimmage.

-- As a result, the offensive line, Teams 1-3, struggled a bit. Each quarterback was “sacked” at least five times during the scrimmage. In conjunction with that, it should come as no surprise that the linebackers had a strong day. Henry To’o To’o got the start opposite Christian Harris and, together with Christopher Allen and Will Anderson, they had impressive outings.

-- A couple of younger players recorded interceptions in the scrimmage. Cornerback Jahquez Robinson picked off Jalen Milroe, while true freshman Terrion Arnold intercepted Young.

-First-team O went against the first-team D in third-and-long situations.

- Punting probably hasn't been talked about enough. Only had two games in which UA punted more than three times last season and none in which it punted more than four. Might surpass four against Miami by the end of the third quarter. Bama brought in an Aussie punter for this season.

- WR spots still hotly contested. Defense makes it tough for those guys not only because of who's covering them, but pass rush makes it difficult to get the time needed for routes to develop. Ball has to come out hotter (see tight end and RB targets in the passing game).

Some notes:
Saban has moved Terrion Arnold from Safety to CB. Starters on the OL - Evan Neal and Chris Owens - were held out to give backup guys more reps. Saban had Randolph, normally a RT, move to LT yesterday for the scrimmage. He turned his ankle and left the scrimmage. No further details known.

I thought the comment about punting was notable. some of the posters challenged him on the number but this writer was firm in his over/under bet it would be 3.5 at best.

Some additional scrimmage info:

Similar to the offensive line, the Crimson Tide’s defensive line has seen players miss time due to injury. LaBryan Ray (groin) and Braylen Ingraham have not been spotted at any of the media viewing periods, while DJ Dale has appeared to be limited in the latter half of this week.

But unlike on the O-line, Alabama usually employs a rotation of defensive linemen, which could possibly include up to nine players this year, Saban said. UA returns 10 defensive linemen from last year’s team in Ray, Dale, Ingraham, Phidarian Mathis, Justin Eboigbe, Byron Young, Tim Smith, Stephon Wynn, Jamil Burroughs and Jah-Marien Latham, and it also signed a quartet of players in Monkell Goodwine, Damon Payne, Anquin Barnes and Tim Keenan.

“We probably have eight or nine guys that might be able to contribute in that rotation,” Saban said. “I also think that with Will (Anderson) and Chris Allen, those two guys can play sort of defensive end, especially in nickel situations. It gives us a little more athleticism, a little more pass rush. But we’ve got seven or eight guys that have all sort of rotated in there with the ones and twos and back and forth, and they seem to be making pretty good progress.”

Alabama didn’t release scrimmage stats, but there were two interceptions during the two-hour practice. One was made by freshman defensive back Terrion Arnold, who picked off Bryce Young while he was earning some reps on UA’s second-team defense.

“I think any time a guy sort of changes positions, it’s a little bit of a work in progress for the guy,” Saban said. “Terrion’s a really good athlete. He’s a hard worker. He’s really conscientious, and I think the big thing right now is just consistency in technique. He’s made a tremendous amount of improvement in the few practices that we’ve had to this point. And he’s got really good ball skills. He can run. He’s very athletic. He’s just sort of got to refine his game a little bit from a technique standpoint so he doesn’t put himself in kind of a disadvantaged position.

Advertisement
Saban has closed all practices to the media thus far. One of BOL 247 long time posters who has access to the team, was at the scrimmage and posted the following notes late last night. This guy seems to have the respect of not only the rest of the board but the 247 guys who run that board. His info seems very legit.

-The defense was expected to dominate and then Neal and Owens sat out with sore knee. Then Randolph went down with sore ankle. It was very hot……Will Anderson, Chris Allen and Harris were dominating.

-Branch, Wheaton,Hellams also got minor injuries and came out.

-The day started out one offense against two defense then two offense against 1 defense. Then they did 8 third and long plays 1 defense against 1 offense and so on. They also put ball at 20 and did 2 minute drill.

-Some appox stats..Bryce was 12 for 29 for 150 yards. He had 3 TD and 1 INT. Paul was 14-28 for 190 yards with 1 TD and No INT. Milroe and Barker Neither had TD, Milroe had 1 INT by Robinson.

- Trey Saunders had a great day rushing and caught a TD pass. Brian Robinson ran really hard!! Latu had nice TD catch from 15 yard line. Jones-Bell caught 55 yard TD pass. Brooks had some good catches. Baker made some plays. Williams made a few catches. Williams was open a few times deep.-

- Bryce had 2 chances in 2 minute and scored once capped off with 20 yard pass to Trey S. Twos led by Tyson had one chance in 2 minute and drove to 2 yard line and had fumble with hit of the day by Story on a blitz. Players said he blindsided RB.

- Defense dominated third down plays. 1 defense stopped 1 offense on all 8 attempts. 2 offense was 3-8.

- With Neal, Owens and Randolph out. They moved OL a lot. Dalcourt was first team center. Seth was second team center. Tackles were Latham, Kight, George, T Brockermeyer. Guards were Cohen, Ekiyor, Brown, Quick, Bowles.

- DL dominated with some great tackles by Eboigbe, Mathis, and Dale.

- Some new faces in secondary played well. Story had great day. Koolaid played good. Khyree Jackson played well. Jackson will take your head off. Battle, Jobe and Armour-Davis played well. Branch played good until hurt.

The truth… Defense dominated but offense had some good plays and finished strong in 2 minute drill.

Saban has closed all practices to the media thus far. One of BOL 247 long time posters who has access to the team, was at the scrimmage and posted the following notes late last night. This guy seems to have the respect of not only the rest of the board but the 247 guys who run that board. His info seems very legit.

-The defense was expected to dominate and then Neal and Owens sat out with sore knee. Then Randolph went down with sore ankle. It was very hot……Will Anderson, Chris Allen and Harris were dominating.

-Branch, Wheaton,Hellams also got minor injuries and came out.

-The day started out one offense against two defense then two offense against 1 defense. Then they did 8 third and long plays 1 defense against 1 offense and so on. They also put ball at 20 and did 2 minute drill.

-Some appox stats..Bryce was 12 for 29 for 150 yards. He had 3 TD and 1 INT. Paul was 14-28 for 190 yards with 1 TD and No INT. Milroe and Barker Neither had TD, Milroe had 1 INT by Robinson.

- Trey Saunders had a great day rushing and caught a TD pass. Brian Robinson ran really hard!! Latu had nice TD catch from 15 yard line. Jones-Bell caught 55 yard TD pass. Brooks had some good catches. Baker made some plays. Williams made a few catches. Williams was open a few times deep.-

- Bryce had 2 chances in 2 minute and scored once capped off with 20 yard pass to Trey S. Twos led by Tyson had one chance in 2 minute and drove to 2 yard line and had fumble with hit of the day by Story on a blitz. Players said he blindsided RB.

- Defense dominated third down plays. 1 defense stopped 1 offense on all 8 attempts. 2 offense was 3-8.

- With Neal, Owens and Randolph out. They moved OL a lot. Dalcourt was first team center. Seth was second team center. Tackles were Latham, Kight, George, T Brockermeyer. Guards were Cohen, Ekiyor, Brown, Quick, Bowles.

- DL dominated with some great tackles by Eboigbe, Mathis, and Dale.

- Some new faces in secondary played well. Story had great day. Koolaid played good. Khyree Jackson played well. Jackson will take your head off. Battle, Jobe and Armour-Davis played well. Branch played good until hurt.

The truth… Defense dominated but offense had some good plays and finished strong in 2 minute drill.

12-29 you say.... (licks chops).

Some last notes on their scrimmage - also from one of the long time 247 guys who has access:

"Yes people are hyping this D up way too much. Of course the defense played well against an offense missing it's best two starters on the oline and a pass happy scrimmage where the dline knew to attack. The only difference I have seen in this defense compared to last year is Allen and Anderson more dominant. The same problems still persist. "

" The 2021 team will go as far as the OL & QB play can take them. O line play is my biggest worry/question mark heading into the year."
-Our OL needs to stay healthy, big drop off after first 5
-Interior DL dominance, hopefully Smith and Dale amend some of those issues. We have tons of role players and depth but no stand outs there.

The biggest issue, however, is we wont have the historic Death Star offense that just crushed other teams all by itself. I think our defensive stats last year were impacted by what our offense did to other teams. How many really good offenses did we face last year? Three? One of them had a lead on us at halftime with a stiff QB and the other two ran up and down the field at will.

Advertisement
Some additional scrimmage info:

Similar to the offensive line, the Crimson Tide’s defensive line has seen players miss time due to injury. LaBryan Ray (groin) and Braylen Ingraham have not been spotted at any of the media viewing periods, while DJ Dale has appeared to be limited in the latter half of this week.

But unlike on the O-line, Alabama usually employs a rotation of defensive linemen, which could possibly include up to nine players this year, Saban said. UA returns 10 defensive linemen from last year’s team in Ray, Dale, Ingraham, Phidarian Mathis, Justin Eboigbe, Byron Young, Tim Smith, Stephon Wynn, Jamil Burroughs and Jah-Marien Latham, and it also signed a quartet of players in Monkell Goodwine, Damon Payne, Anquin Barnes and Tim Keenan.

“We probably have eight or nine guys that might be able to contribute in that rotation,” Saban said. “I also think that with Will (Anderson) and Chris Allen, those two guys can play sort of defensive end, especially in nickel situations. It gives us a little more athleticism, a little more pass rush. But we’ve got seven or eight guys that have all sort of rotated in there with the ones and twos and back and forth, and they seem to be making pretty good progress.”

Alabama didn’t release scrimmage stats, but there were two interceptions during the two-hour practice. One was made by freshman defensive back Terrion Arnold, who picked off Bryce Young while he was earning some reps on UA’s second-team defense.

“I think any time a guy sort of changes positions, it’s a little bit of a work in progress for the guy,” Saban said. “Terrion’s a really good athlete. He’s a hard worker. He’s really conscientious, and I think the big thing right now is just consistency in technique. He’s made a tremendous amount of improvement in the few practices that we’ve had to this point. And he’s got really good ball skills. He can run. He’s very athletic. He’s just sort of got to refine his game a little bit from a technique standpoint so he doesn’t put himself in kind of a disadvantaged position.
Braylen Ingram hasn't been spotted since he arrived at Alabama.

To me, Bryce Young is less of a question mark than Bill O'Brien. Can BoB get him into spots for easy success? That's what Sark and Kiff did the best as coordinators. BoB's last move as a coach was trading away the best WR in the league for a washed RB. Never made it easier for Watson and the PSU offense was never really cutting edge while he was there.

Why not? His scrimmage numbers were meh as are his stats during mop up duty last year.
I dont go by stats I go by eyes and what surrounds the players, if the team is super talented and different things like that. Is the OLD elite will the D gift them the ball for a short field, who are they playing against. Alot of different factors to look at. The kid looks good real good

Advertisement
Back