A myth that needs to die

This hiring is different from previous hires. This is the first time the school has attempted to take this **** serious and treat it like a business. Having an infrastructure with a plan is just as important as the HC. I’m more intrigued to see the long term plan. I want to see it so I can believe it.
I think an underrated thing that i don’t see many talking about is Zo being able to eval prospects.

I don’t think Manny is actually a bad recruiter, I just think he’s an awful evaluator of talent

Advertisement
This hiring is different from previous hires. This is the first time the school has attempted to take this **** serious and treat it like a business. Having an infrastructure with a plan is just as important as the HC. I’m more intrigued to see the long term plan. I want to see it so I can believe it.
That’s encouraging news. I’m with you on the seeing is believing.

Not SPC but I'd say he's right around 10.

Tier 1) Saban, Dabo, Riley, Smart, Jimbo - Championship level coach and recruiter
Tier 2) Day (maybe tier 1), Kiffin, Fitzgerald, Brian Kelly (maybe tier 1), Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham

Cristobal probably fits in that tier 2 category. Clearly behind Day, Kelly, & Fitzgerald IMO. Making him 9th at best. Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, & Whittingham have done it longer at a comparable level. I think a playoff appearance and another PAC12 title puts him firmly ahead of Harbaugh, Gundy, Chryst, Whittingham, & Kiffin - they're all relative to me right now.

Fitzgerald is the harder one to gauge because of where he's at but I think he's one of the best.
I forgot Pat!! Pat absolutely is a top 10 coach

Advertisement

How does it differ from the Richt hire? I remember hearing the school being more “committed” to the overall big picture for success of the football program during the Richt integration. This led to the IPF, training table etc. What does this new “infrastructure” & “long term plan” consist of that was previously lacking? Is it simply just a bigger budget & support for the program as a whole?

Lemonis wanted him instead of Richt and that predates him ever being an OC! If being an FIU coach qualified him, certainly being a Power 5 coach would. Our last Power 5 HC was Erikson.

The obvious Saban, Riley, smart, jimbo. The not so obvious Paul Chryst, Brian Kelly, Ryan day, both Iowa coaches, and a few others imo
I agree with Saban, Dabo and Riley obviously, Jimbo I do think is elite but he did essentially run Fla. State into the ground when he left, they are 7-3 this year and were 8-5 two years ago. I get it much stronger conference so I will give it to him.

Smart I agree even though his offense is and has been anemic. They instead rely on top notch recruiting and an insane defense.

Why do both you and @JayCane20 put Day in there without question? He did lose to Cristobal this year head to head with equal if not better talent, he inherited a stacked roster from Urban, and aside from Penn State and sometimes Michigan (who they have regularly owned) they are playing the likes of Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.

While both Iowa coaches are good, I sometimes question those coaching styles down here. For example Golden could actually ID talent, he did so during the "cloud" his issue was he was stuck in that Mid-West style of play bulking chikillo up to 270lbs and have him be a DE. So like even if I agree both Iowa coaches are top 10, if they were at UM I do not think they are top 10 if that makes sense.

1.You’re speaking as if they haven’t talked to Ad’s or have don’t have somebody in mind.
2. Majority schools have outside committees or inside committees that lead the search. Ad’s are just part of the ride.
3. As an example Tom Juric is worth his salt as an Ad and is out of work. He’d happily jump without hiring the football coach. So would Brian White, I mean if they went that route.

People here are arguing points and giving opinions without knowing what’s going on.

As I said people around the program knew Blake was gone for awhile , this didn’t just happen. Everything has been in the works.
I was just commenting on the hypothetical that you were responding to- not claiming any of it was actual reality aside from there being some morons in the plethora in BoT members and boosters.

I'd personally have a little bit of a red flag about Jurich (whereas I had ZERO before) if he took this job after being told he HAD to keep Manny for another year. But that again is a hypothetical that you're saying isn't an issue anyway.

Advertisement
I agree with Saban, Dabo and Riley obviously, Jimbo I do think is elite but he did essentially run Fla. State into the ground when he left, they are 7-3 this year and were 8-5 two years ago. I get it much stronger conference so I will give it to him.

Smart I agree even though his offense is and has been anemic. They instead rely on top notch recruiting and an insane defense.

Why do both you and @JayCane20 put Day in there without question? He did lose to Cristobal this year head to head with equal if not better talent, he inherited a stacked roster from Urban, and aside from Penn State and sometimes Michigan (who they have regularly owned) they are playing the likes of Indiana, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.

While both Iowa coaches are good, I sometimes question those coaching styles down here. For example Golden could actually ID talent, he did so during the "cloud" his issue was he was stuck in that Mid-West style of play bulking chikillo up to 270lbs and have him be a DE. So like even if I agree both Iowa coaches are top 10, if they were at UM I do not think they are top 10 if that makes sense.
I’m sure his answer would be different from mine regarding day. But I think day is just a step or two behind Mario as a recruiter but is a better coach x’s & o’s and to me that’s gives the edge but I wouldn’t be mad if you put Mario above him. They are tier 2. The Iowa coaches don’t bring Mario’s recruiting but like I said in a previous post Miami can recruit itself imo

I was just commenting on the hypothetical that you were responding to- not claiming any of it was actual reality aside from there being some morons in the plethora in BoT members and boosters.

I'd personally have a little bit of a red flag about Jurich (whereas I had ZERO before) if he took this job after being told he HAD to keep Manny for another year. But that again is a hypothetical that you're saying isn't an issue anyway.
I was a Tad confused, I wasn’t sure where you were going so I responded. All of this has been in the works for awhile. When I first posted both were done in Sep things were already in motion. That’s why I say be patient , just because you don’t hear or see anything doesn’t mean things aren’t happening.

He's still recruiting at a high level and has the most potent offense in the country by a long shot. He was breaking in Stroud earlier this season - I think if they played again OSU would wipe the floor with Oregon.

Not really an indictment of Mario - Day inherited a better roster at a better program. DeRuyter is also trash.

I could see Mario leaving to separate himself from him without having to fire him. That wasn't the best hire and I think he'd like a do-over on that and his OC.

Advertisement
Zo in some capacity would be huge.
My only concern about Highsmith is what HC wants someone sat over them sticking their nose into their evaluations?

It'd take a very secure HC to say "Ok, Zo, what do you think?" Obviously Diaz wasn't that guy.

He's still recruiting at a high level and has the most potent offense in the country by a long shot. He was breaking in Stroud earlier this season - I think if they played again OSU would wipe the floor with Oregon.

Not really an indictment of Mario - Day inherited a better roster at a better program. DeRuyter is also trash.

I could see Mario leaving to separate himself from him without having to fire him. That wasn't the best hire and I think he'd like a do-over on that and his OC.
I hate playing the 'what if' game when it's actually happened.

Love or loathe Cristobal, he beat Day this year.

How does it differ from the Richt hire? I remember hearing the school being more “committed” to the overall big picture for success of the football program during the Richt integration. This led to the IPF, training table etc. What does this new “infrastructure” & “long term plan” consist of that was previously lacking? Is it simply just a bigger budget & support for the program as a whole?
Dude the money ( investors ) being talked about and long term plans is nothing like this program has seen. This is such another level that it’s comical to compare anything in the schools existence to . I’ve heard the stadium talks for awhile and I laughed it off. But there’s actual legit talk there.

Last edited:
Advertisement
My only concern about Highsmith is what HC wants someone sat over them sticking their nose into their evaluations?

It'd take a very secure HC to say "Ok, Zo, what do you think?" Obviously Diaz wasn't that guy.

I don't have any inside information on their relationship, but you would think 2 guys who went to Columbus and Miami would be able to work together.

If Cristobal would take that kind of help from anyone, you'd think it'd be Alonzo Highsmith.

Dude the money ( investors ) being talked about and long term plans is nothing like this program has seen. This is such another level that it’s comical to compare anything in the schools existence to it. I’ve heard the stadium talks for awhile and I laughed it off. But there’s actual legit talk there.

Billionaires. With a B.

His recruiting prowess is what sets him apart from other candidates. He’s not a schemer nor some game day genius but if you want to win big in college football, you have to win signing day. Georgia isn’t the best team in the country because Kirby Smart is some kind of savant. Nick Saban isn’t some kind of innovative coaching whiz. Those guys get the best players and win the most games.
Right. How much of a Savant do you have to be to hand the ball off to Derrick Henry and let him run over all the peasants? 🤣

Advertisement
Back