A myth that needs to die

It flucuates slightly year to year but generally top 8 classes have more "cant" miss higher ranked prospects who test through the roof and are evaluated on the national level. Classes ranked 9-25 are peppered with kids who are ranked high but generally require more devolpment and require good coaching to reach their potential. Theyre also ranked more at the regional level.

The difference in averaging a #12 ranked class vs a #5 ranked class over 5 year period is at least 8-10 differnce makers. So ya....theres levels to this ****.
I completely disagree with that.

Last year 10-13 in recruiting rankings. Each had multiple ELITE national kids with atleast one 5 star.

10. Oklahoma
11. Miami
12. Florida
13. Michigan

Those 4 were MUCH closer to USC/Oregon last year who was 7 and 6 nationally, than Arkansas (ranked 25) who only had 3 4stars and 17 3stars

Advertisement
I think there was a lot more working against him at FIU than his “ antics”. Kids changing in broom closets and having high school facilities with no money was a tad bigger issue. I used to mock him for his time at FIU until I actually saw what he was dealing with. From the AD on down. That was an absolute **** hole.
Cribby you think any merit in some of these paid site guys posting about possibility of AD coming in and giving that person a year to get feet wet before making a decision on Manny?

Just goes to show you how fickle the board is.

Hey CIS what’s your HC criteria

Elite recruiter
P5 HC experience
Time spent at Bama
Conf champ winner
Top 10 ranking finisher
Preferred South Florida ties
Upward trending in his career

Ok bet

That candidate is Mario Cristobal…

Same board “naw he don’t bring anything to the table.”

Advertisement
Just goes to show you how fickle the board is.

Hey CIS what’s your HC criteria

Elite recruiter
P5 HC experience
Time spent at Bama
Conf champ winner
Top 10 ranking finisher
Preferred South Florida ties

Ok bet

That candidate is Mario Cristobal…

Same board “naw he don’t bring anything to the table.”
Why does this surprise you?

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
Good Lord, we get it, you want Mario to get the job, you can stop now.

I'm cool with the attempt to change culture, of course.

But, I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's perhaps my biggest fear and something I consider overlooked in Florida recruiting (generally, including FSU, UF, etc.): many of the kids' attitudes are different, if not frail. I'll get told now "look at how many South Florida kids go to the NFL." A lot of those kids are targeted and filtered through real programs and families. This is especially true in Dade county. The support around kids is hit or miss. [I have the data to prove this one via MDCPS programs my companies have run]

Maybe we, too, can be a real program, evaluate kids correctly, and find the right mentalities. That will depend on factors beyond Mario, IMO. Nevertheless, whoever is the next coach and aims to finally destroy the country club culture will have to evaluate the **** out of more than just SPARQ results and even football tape. We need kids who've been developed with the right mindset or are at least open to the challenge. They aren't as abundant as physically talented kids down here.
This is a very fair point. But that depends on the kids. It kinda goes to what Dabo did in Clemson and, to a lesser extent, Saban in Alabama.

We need a certain type of kid to win national championships. That kid had to to be a great prospect and want to make it. If he doesn't, then he won't last in those programs. That's the Miami that Mario knows and wants to get back to.

If it means losing out on certain kids, so be it. We probably can't win with them anyway.

He demands a lot but loves the kids
Treats every one as though they were his own son. Mommas love him and dads wish they were half the father, husband, Christian and American patriot that he is! I hear he's an excellent cook too.

*I'm just messing with you and the Luigi love affair around here. It would/will be interesting to see the reactions of his Oregon players and recruits if he leaves. I think their fanbase is delusional and high on Nike sneaker fumes (and herb) and would think he's somewhat easily replaceable.

Advertisement
I need an AD to, without getting his hands dirty, help our biggest fans set up a foundation that can "encourage" top recruits to come to Miami through NIL deals.
We ain't beating Bama, UGA, A&M and Clemson with a class full of mid 4*, a Joe Moorhead scheme and Cristobal making decisions

Advertisement
The knock on Mario was “ he needs more time and experience at a bigger school. He does that and more yet we still pick it apart. This is a wacky fan base. I think some of y’all are being Skip Bayless types, just being contrarian to be contrarian. It’s not like we’re bringing a former cane home for the romance factor, we want to bring him home because he’s a cane that went out and proved himself. Just like we all wanted. Oh well, some of you guys won’t be happy regardless of the hire.

college football GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Planting my flag on the Mario hill.

Mario Slurp Team
slurp GIF

Advertisement
The knock on Mario was “ he needs more time and experience at a bigger school. He does that and more yet we still pick it apart. This is a wacky fan base. I think some of y’all are being Skip Bayless types, just being contrarian to be contrarian. It’s not like we’re bringing a former cane home for the romance factor, we want to bring him home because he’s a cane that went out and proved himself. Just like we all wanted. Oh well, some of you guys won’t be happy regardless of the hire.
Oh for the record I’m all for hiring him if we can. The idea that’s it’s Mario or bust for Miami is what I’m combating

Any potential AD that would be down with that idea should be instantly eliminated from contention and any AD worth his salt would remove themselves from consideration if that idea is floated as it would immediately indicate that the school isn't really committed to success.

I could see SOME morons at the school wondering aloud though about how bad would it be if we miss out on their #1 choice choice to replace Manny now to just keep him for a year with the plan to replace him with Lashlee as interim after our first bad loss while the search for their second choice continues.

Advertisement
Back