A myth that needs to die

Advertisement
The man coached under Butch Davis and Nick Saban. Two of the all time best at out talenting their opponents.
Exactly contrary to popular belief saban isn’t some game day savant. Actually his record in close games is rather avg. Still the best ever

Yet couldn't mail Fresno and Arizona of the world.
You can always tell who never really watched the teams actually play and watch espn highlights.
Lol I watch football sun up to sundown whenever I can bro. Not a highlight judgement kinda guy. Not a team in the country doesn’t have a sleepwalking game or two.

If they can get up and get it done against a top 5 team on the road I think you have to tip your hat to them on that game.

D$ I believe provided a record for Mario that he’s 4-1 vs AP top 10 at Oregon. Miami is 2-13 or some **** and losing by an average of 20 points in said games since 2006. We aren’t even competitive in big games. We would kill to have a record like that lately against top competition.

So yeah, Oregon would get up for Miami, and they’d beat us by multiple TD’s.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Mario to Miami has grown on me.

I think as a Canes fan I felt entitled for him to still want us, rather than us having to court him.

Need to put my bias aside and realize he'd be the best coach we have had here in a long time.

I still think Lane is who we end up getting, but I'm good with Mario as well.
I want nothing to do with that primidona Kiffin

One of the few people that can walk in to pretty much any HS the day he is hired and have the respect and loyalty of 90-95% of every HS coach in the tri-county area…

Our recruiting improves immediately the day he’s hired..
He can walk in like that. Give it a few months. You think it is some odd coincidence that every Miami coach the last 20 years begins to have issues with the locals? Didn't Michael Barrow of all people make the papers for some issue with Booker T at the end of a recruiting cycle. Some ultimatum to Denver Kirkland that the Booker T coaches made public. If Barrow couldn't escape it you think Mario will? He'll suffer the same fate. Anyone leaning on Mario's recruiting as some sort of immediate solution to our problems better hope those Columbus boys don't close the bank if he comes. They better keep dropping cash because if he aint winning all those recruiting battles he won't make up for it with coaching.

He can walk in like that. Give it a few months. You think it is some odd coincidence that every Miami coach the last 20 years begins to have issues with the locals? Didn't Michael Barrow of all people make the papers for some issue with Booker T at the end of a recruiting cycle. Some ultimatum to Denver Kirkland that the Booker T coaches made public. If Barrow couldn't escape it you think Mario will? He'll suffer the same fate. Anyone leaning on Mario's recruiting as some sort of immediate solution to our problems better hope those Columbus boys don't close the bank if he comes. They better keep dropping cash because if he aint winning all those recruiting battles he won't make up for it with coaching.
Now list the Miami coaches and you begin to understand where the struggles came from.

Now list the Miami coaches and you begin to understand where the struggles came from.
Oh you think this comes down to the caliber of coach? That aint gonna change the agendas of the gatekeepers. What more could Barrow have done to earn their respect? You don't like what he did? Cool. Why are you running to the papers about it?

And the coach who did that was local legend Ice Harris, who Golden then hired after Barrow took a leave of absence. Thats how toxic this **** is. A high school coach embarrassed you right around national signing day and then you hired him a year later to help with recruiting.

Advertisement
Oh you think this comes down to the caliber of coach? That aint gonna change the agendas of the gatekeepers. What more could Barrow have done to earn their respect? You don't like what he did? Cool. Why are you running to the papers about it?
Because its all about respect and what happens when respect gets violated? People *****.

Because its all about respect and what happens when respect gets violated? People *****.
It is disrespect for a coach to tell a player they're filling up and we need a decision? Even if you didn't like that tactic, the response is to tell the papers about it? Do you think that would ever happen in Eugene or Tuscaloosa? The local high school coach tells the paper that an assistant from the big state school asked one of his players if he was in or out

It is disrespect for a coach to tell a player they're filling up and we need a decision? Even if you didn't like that tactic, the response is to tell the papers about it? Do you think that would ever happen in Eugene or Tuscaloosa? The local high school coach tells the paper that an assistant from the big state school asked one of his players if he was in or out
This is Miami. Was it okay? Of course not. But we dont know how he told the player that and what was exchanged in that process.

This is Miami. Was it okay? Of course not. But we dont know how he told the player that and what was exchanged in that process.
Exactly. This is Miami. Let him only be interested in the 4-star that everyone wants and not the kid on the same team who should really go to FIU. He'll get it too. He isn't immune no one is. He better win so **** much early on that they can't help but want to jump on.

Advertisement
don't all players have a 1 time transfer right without having to sit out a year.

We name Mario as the coach and the best players transfer here. why not?
Aside from the previous limitations with transfers having to sit, there was/is always a sense of decorum whereas a departing coach doesn't raid the roster of the place he's leaving.

Your question of "Why not?" is correct though and should be replaced with "When?" because it's absolutely going to happen at some point. The only reaction would be for schools to try to limit it by putting some language in future coaching contracts but that probably wouldn't hold up because the kid can always claim he's leaving for the school and that contract language has no legal ramifications pertaining to him.

Aside from the previous limitations with transfers having to sit, there was/is always a sense of decorum whereas a departing coach doesn't raid the roster of the place he's leaving.

Your question of "Why not?" is correct though and should be replaced with "When?" because it's absolutely going to happen at some point. The only reaction would be for schools to try to limit it by putting some language in future coaching contracts but that probably wouldn't hold up because the kid can always claim he's leaving for the school and that contract language has no legal ramifications pertaining to him.
agreed on the decorum, but someone is going to doing it and it will become the norm. perhaps a contractual limitation would help as you say. it would be the equivalent of a non-solicitation provision, enforceable in many states, including florida, but not california and some other states. interesting to say the least

agreed on the decorum, but someone is going to doing it and it will become the norm. perhaps a contractual limitation would help as you say. it would be the equivalent of a non-solicitation provision, enforceable in many states, including florida, but not california and some other states. interesting to say the least
A guy in Cristobal's situation would actually be in a great spot to do it (although I doubt he would). A guy at a "remote" school that recruits nationally that leaves to go to a "national" brand school. Most of the kids at Oregon have no regional ties/loyalty to that school or often even that conference. Would be the least friction in this scenario on the actual kid to leave and follow him.

Advertisement
“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
Agree! Again, paging @Go Canes!! 😂🤣

“Mario is only recruiting well at Oregon because of NIKE bags.”

I’ve seen this myth repeated a few times on the board. It is false. The reality is that Miami recruited better than Oregon before Mario got there. Here is a comparison of Miami recruiting from 2008-2017 (last year before Mario). The national recruiting rankings are in parentheses:

2008- Miami (1), Oregon (34)

2009- Miami (16), Oregon (30)

2010- Miami (14), Oregon (12)

2011- Miami (33), Oregon (12)

2012- Miami (10), Oregon (14)

2013- Miami (14), Oregon (19)

2014- Miami (12), Oregon (21)

2015- Miami (27), Oregon (16)

2016- Miami (22), Oregon (27)

2017- Miami (12), Oregon (19)

10 years summary:

Miami ranked higher six times. Miami had two Top 10 classes, Oregon had zero. Miami had six Top 15 classes, Oregon had three. Miami’s average class rank was 16th, Oregon’s was 20th.

Now let’s look at the Mario years:

2018- Miami (8), Oregon (13)

2019- Miami (27), Oregon (7)

2020- Miami (17), Oregon (11)

2021- Miami (11), Oregon (6)

2022- Miami (60), Oregon (9)

Oregon has become one of the top recruiting programs in the country. I’ve heard the argument that this is only because the other Pac 12 teams fell off. The truth is that Oregon’s best class ever (6th) came in a year when USC ranked 7th. Obviously, it helps when your rivals suck, but it’s not why Oregon is so good.

Per someone who coached with Mario at Alabama and is now in the NFL, Mario is the “best recruiter he’s ever been around, period.” The Athletic just put out a huge article on recruiting with a bunch of anonymous coach quotes. Mario’s name came up the most, mainly because his personal involvement makes him so tough to beat. He was also national recruiter of the year as an assistant.

Recruiting is not the only criteria for a new coach. But make no mistake—Mario is as good of a recruiter as there is in the country, and it’s not because of Oregon bags.
Mario is the best recruiter in the country. Many good sources from South Florida have said the same.

Advertisement
Back