A message board story

It was painful to even read your story. Very sorry for you and your friend, even with the happy ending for him career wise.

You made an honest mistake. Good lesson for all of us to learn to keep the confidence of our friends and people who trust in us. ... But how petty was Haith’s staff to go out of their way to blackball a guy who thought he was privately sharing gossip everyone knew about?

Honestly, had a pit in my stomach until Haith and staff left and my old friend moved to another better job. So for a couple of years I wasn't sure what the impact would be.

I think it was @cyrez8 that was the mod that helped me out but I’m not 100% sure on that. He offered to change my screen name but I just felt I had to own it.

Advertisement
Honestly, had a pit in my stomach until Haith and staff left and my old friend moved to another better job. So for a couple of years I wasn't sure what the impact would be.

I think it was @cyrez8 that was the mod that helped me out but I’m not 100% sure on that. He offered to change my screen name but I just felt I had to own it.
youre mistake was not posting the info, it was leaving clues as to your source.

never name the source.

I would add, it's not just the Miami coaches/staff reading our boards, but also all of our rivals.

I won't go into a huge amount of detail, as many people already know this story, but I'll relate the basics.

Years ago, on another UM board, a bunch of posters used to get together for tailgates, etc. There was a guy (UM fan) who told us that his brother was going to be a good one who would be highly recruited, but you frequently hear that kind of stuff from posters who are pumped up about their relatives when the kids excel at the middle school level. A couple of times, I sold one of my spare game tix to this particular guy, so I knew him well from spending time with him at tailgates and games, and some of the other guys on the board were even closer with him.

As it turned out, his brother was in fact heavily recruited (blue-chip), and when the time came for an unofficial visit to Miami, one of the guys on the UM board picked up the two brothers (one was the recruit, the other was the older brother who posted and was a UM fan) from the airport and went to eat prior to the visit. The details were posted on a paid-subscription UM board, but as always, the clout-chasers ran to tell their friends on all of the free boards. Rival fans picked up on the free board info, and started claiming that Miami was breaking the rules.

Eventually, the word got around to Miami's Athletic Department, and the "airport pickup guy" had to spend nearly one full day with UM Compliance, explaining the whole situation, the origin of the friendship, etc. No violation found, but stern warnings were issued.

It was ridiculous. The info went from a subscription UM board...to free UM boards...to rival fans...to rival fan boards...and then eventually to UM coaches/admins. All within a couple of days.

For the record, I never thought the Tyrique Stevenson info (and Barry Jacksoff's leak) met the definition of "tampering". But that doesn't matter one bit if our rivals try to report us for it anyhow. Our rivals will absolutely read these boards and turn us in to the NCAA if they think it will ***** up our recruiting, particularly for 5 stars that they think should be going to SEC schools rather than Miami.

Poster beware.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I remember something of the such, not the details, but the backtracking on it. I would imagine that was you and I'm glad it all worked out for your friend, even if you haven't talked in years. It didn't come from a place of spite and I hope he knows this now.

See it's stuff like this that kinda has me hesitant to talk to some former college teammates of certain coaches on staff (I have met and have a personal relationship with) about anything related to the team. If it gets out I'm ******** over two people

I would add, it's not just the Miami coaches/staff reading our boards, but also all of our rivals.

I won't go into a huge amount of detail, as many people already know this story, but I'll relate the basics.

Years ago, on another UM board, a bunch of posters used to get together for tailgates, etc. There was a guy (UM fan) who told us that his brother was going to be a good one who would be highly recruited, but you frequently hear that kind of stuff from posters who are pumped up about their relatives when the kids excel at the middle school level. A couple of times, I sold one of my spare game tix to this particular guy, so I knew him well from spending time with him at tailgates and games, and some of the other guys on the board were even closer with him.

As it turned out, his brother was in fact heavily recruited (5 star), and when the time came for an unofficial visit to Miami, one of the guys on the UM board picked up the two brothers (one was the recruit, the other was the older brother who posted and was a UM fan) from the airport and went to eat prior to the visit. The details were posted on a paid-subscription UM board, but as always, the clout-chasers ran to tell their friends on all of the free boards. Rival fans picked up on the free board info, and started claiming that Miami was breaking the rules.

Eventually, the word got around to Miami's Athletic Department, and the "airport pickup guy" had to spend nearly one full day with UM Compliance, explaining the whole situation, the origin of the friendship, etc. No violation found, but stern warnings were issued.

It was ridiculous. The info went from a subscription UM board...to free UM boards...to rival fans...to rival fan boards...and then eventually to UM coaches/admins. All within a couple of days.

For the record, I never thought the Tyrique Stevenson info (and Barry Jacksoff's leak) met the definition of "tampering". But that doesn't matter one bit if our rivals try to report us for it anyhow. Our rivals will absolutely read these boards and turn us in to the NCAA if they think it will ***** up our recruiting, particularly for 5 stars that they think should be going to SEC schools rather than Miami.

Poster beware.
I remember that

Advertisement
**** thats sad af for both of y'all but glad he got back up. U fuqed up but u learned and at least u felt bad about it. Some people r just fuqed up and wouldn't care. Makes u wonder why HCs never eat out other schools who cheat ......this is why

Trust me... I hate them just as much as anyone lol. It was just always that fear of ****, what if it somehow got back to the person who told me. But let's just say.... They have a unique way of "paying" recruits. Think about all the free apparel their staff members get. Now think about what their brand is most popular for.... Now keep in mind that most of their staff members are older guys who can careless about wearing that type of **** themselves lol. They actually have former players come and teach the recruits(and parents) how to make money from all of this now "free" merchandise.
I'm surprised this isn't a standard thing across the board at every big school. Well, standard but hush hush

Advertisement
Reading this makes me feel like a complete ****. Had no idea stuff goes this deep.

I was told things and I was pretty naive and dumb handling it. Some of it was right, some of it turned out to be wrong.

If I knew things could turn out like that I would have wrapped my fingers with tape.

As it turned out, his brother was in fact heavily recruited (5 star), and when the time came for an unofficial visit to Miami, one of the guys on the UM board picked up the two brothers (one was the recruit, the other was the older brother who posted and was a UM fan) from the airport and went to eat prior to the visit. The details were posted on a paid-subscription UM board, but as always, the clout-chasers ran to tell their friends on all of the free boards. Rival fans picked up on the free board info, and started claiming that Miami was breaking the rules.

Poster beware.
Am I stupid?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh yeah and Mullen himself told recruits pretty much they don't even have to worry about the school work. Just show up to study hall and you're "straight" with a wink lol. This all came from a co-worker straight off a visit from them a few months before the Rona hit. I won't say names but he's related to a "5star" we supposedly didn't want lol.

Please post in gator tears cc @RVACane

I have friends on the board like dycane and don’t post a ******* thing they tell me. Nothing. In fact, I make it a point to avoid sensitive subjects re the team because I don’t want to put them in an uncomfortable position. But if they tell me something, and they have, it’s in confidence and no ******* way I’d violate that trust. Not bashing you, I understand the inclination (especially when you’re young).

Advertisement
Back