A message board story

Miami04

Senior
A lot happening right now with our coaching and there are a lot of insiders and stories going on. I thought I might tell you all this story of how I wanted to be a big message board guy back in my 20's and how it almost ruined someone's professional career.

I went to high school with a guy who played basketball here in Tennessee, we were friends, not great friends but more than acquaintances. After high school we were still friends and he played low level college basketball and then went into coaching. He got an assistant job at a mid level D1 basketball team and began to work his way up. One year the team he was an assistant for played Miami and I flew down and went to the game and we hung out for a while after. This was during the Frank Haith days.

So, Haith and the Canes were struggling and had stopped improving after his first few seasons. I see my buddy at a wedding and he tells me that it is well known in coaching circles that Haith is in trouble and he needs to win now or he is out. If I remember correctly he even told me that some of the assistants were already looking around for other work knowing the axe could be coming down. I believe this was during the 2009-10 season. This was buddy to buddy talk at a wedding reception.

Naturally, with my first piece of inside information in hand I knew this was my opportunity to become a star on the Grassy (the very old 247 board for the real young ones) message board. I would immediately get a parade and know all of the inside jokes. So I posted the entire story word for word. I did not give away my friends name but instead said he had coached at schools x&y&z so everyone knew the info was legit.

A few days later I am laying in bed with my girlfriend at the time and my buddy calls, he is losing it on the phone. The conversation ends with "do not delete the post you have to go say you made it all up". So I did that and I text him the next day letting him know myself and a mod had done damage control. His text to me was the last time we ever spoke "its too late, the damage has been done. Miami coaches are telling everyone in the coaching world to never hire me"

Let me tell you what happened. A Miami coach of the basketball team had staff checking all Miami message boards. Who knows why. They saw my post and cross referenced the schools and were easily able to determine who my friend was. Then they contacted his head coach and proceeded to go scorched earth. They tried to get him blackballed in coaching circles and ruin his career.

It was a sickening feeling knowing that I may have gotten someone fired. After that I have never wanted someone to succeed as much as I do for him. Because of the actions I took trying to be big time on a message board I almost ruined someone's life. And I was just praying that it would not hold him back in such a cut throat world.

I also can never explain to someone what it felt like to get that call from him, knowing I couldn't BS my way out of it, knowing what the consequences could be for everyone involved, and knowing I had ended a friendship for such a stupid reason.

In summary, be careful out there. It's not worth it.

Also, my former friend ended up becoming and is still a head coach at a pretty decent mid major program. We have still never spoken again.

Advertisement
interesting story and it obviously haunted you a bit.
Did you have the same handle on Grassy as you do here? I see you joined during the Moni Revolution.

Advertisement
So, Haith and the Canes were struggling and had stopped improving after his first few seasons. I see my buddy at a wedding and he tells me that it is well known in coaching circles that Haith is in trouble and he needs to win now or he is out. If I remember correctly he even told me that some of the assistants were already looking around for other work knowing the axe could be coming down. I believe this was during the 2009-10 season. This was buddy to buddy talk at a wedding reception.

Naturally, with my first piece of inside information in hand I knew this was my opportunity to become a star on the Grassy (the very old 247 board for the real young ones) message board. I would immediately get a parade and know all of the inside jokes. So I posted the entire story word for word. I did not give away my friends name but instead said he had coached at schools x&y&z so everyone knew the info was legit.

A few days later I am laying in bed with my girlfriend at the time and my buddy calls, he is losing it on the phone. The conversation ends with "do not delete the post you have to go say you made it all up". So I did that and I text him the next day letting him know myself and a mod had done damage control. His text to me was the last time we ever spoke "its too late, the damage has been done. Miami coaches are telling everyone in the coaching world to never hire me"

Let me tell you what happened. A Miami coach of the basketball team had staff checking all Miami message boards. Who knows why. They saw my post and cross referenced the schools and were easily able to determine who my friend was. Then they contacted his head coach and proceeded to go scorched earth. They tried to get him blackballed in coaching circles and ruin his career.

It was a sickening feeling knowing that I may have gotten someone fired. After that I have never wanted someone to succeed as much as I do for him. Because of the actions I took trying to be big time on a message board I almost ruined someone's life. And I was just praying that it would not hold him back in such a cut throat world.

I also can never explain to someone what it felt like to get that call from him, knowing I couldn't BS my way out of it, knowing what the consequences could be for everyone involved, and knowing I had ended a friendship for such a stupid reason.

In summary, be careful out there. It's not worth it.

Also, my former friend ended up becoming and is still a head coach at a pretty decent mid major program. We have still never spoken again.
****, thanks for sharing, that’s a tough lesson to learn. Others can learn from this. I hope someday your friend reestablishes dialogue with you.

interesting story and it obviously haunted you a bit.
Did you have the same handle on Grassy as you do here? I see you joined during the Moni Revolution.

Yep. Been the same since probably ‘99. And correct I came over then.

I was on both sites but then sat with @DMoney at the St Thomas vs MNW game and knew after this was the only place to be.

Advertisement
Miami has GAs that get subscriptions to 247 and Canesport and log in here to read the stuff and monitor for leaks and stuff as well as rumors circulating. Most big schools do. Especially when they don’t want stuff out like Miami.

I also have a friend on the GA staff that reads these boards. The reason I changed my username to start with but someone figured it out and posted it and he read it. Shocked he didn’t get tipped off on the TS rumor sooner than when Barry leaked it. I was DMing guys fo delete guesses left and right

Big reason Doherty and Darrow got let go. Can’t keep their mouths shut

That sucks man. Easy to get carried away. Hard to sit on info.
Is it?

Guy I was best man for is the Financial Director at a Super League club (Rugby League in the UK). I literally know what every player in the League makes (it's a Salary Capped sport, but what players make isn't public knowledge), which team owners are causing **** in the League meetings and which players are going where - weeks before it becomes public knowledge.

I just sit on the info because there's no way I could share it on a message board without outing him (and yes, League officials absolutely read team message boards).

I massively appreciate the insiders on here, but also acknowledge that they can't share everything they know.

Not gonna lie... It is hard holding info tho. Especially news that involves the canes. One of my coworkers is a very close family member (took him on all his visits) of a particular recruit who signed with the gaytors last month. He told me a secret on how the gaytors use a certain method to recruit kids. Don't know how legal/illegal it is but all I will say is that they really use their "Brand" to their advantage with these kids(and family members) and it actually works for some.

Is it?

Guy I was best man for is the Financial Director at a Super League club (Rugby League in the UK). I literally know what every player in the League makes, which team owners are causing **** in the League meetings and which players are going where - weeks before it becomes public knowledge.

I just sit on the info because there's no way I could share it on a message board without outing him (and yes, League officials absolutely read team message boards).

I massively appreciate the insiders on here, but also acknowledge that they can't share everything they know.
I think the majority of people connected to the program actually sit on 90% of the info they know. This site alone have people with legit sources and they don’t share too much insights to readers. There are exceptions of course but the majority are careful, and rightfully so.

Advertisement
Miami has GAs that get subscriptions to 247 and Canesport and log in here to read the stuff and monitor for leaks and stuff as well as rumors circulating. Most big schools do. Especially when they don’t want stuff out like Miami.

I also have a friend on the GA staff that reads these boards. The reason I changed my username to start with but someone figured it out and posted it and he read it. Shocked he didn’t get tipped off on the TS rumor sooner than when Barry leaked it. I was DMing guys fo delete guesses left and right

Big reason Doherty and Darrow got let go. Can’t keep their mouths shut
Manny gonna find the leaks and may be trying to do that now which is why things aren’t happening .One or more coaches may still be employed somewhere..

Manny gonna find the leaks and may be trying to do that now which is why things aren’t happening .One or more coaches may still be employed somewhere..
Remember the Applewhite and Fedora bs when manny first started? That was legit info coming through but it wasn’t reality.

He knows who had that info and where it came from and they got canned.

He told some people in the building Applewhite, some got Fedora, some got another name. He knew exactly who to can.

Remember the Applewhite and Fedora bs when manny first started? That was legit info coming through but it wasn’t reality.

He told some people in the building Applewhite, some got Fedora, some got another name. He knew exactly who to can.
I have to admit that's wonderfully savage, and kind of how I expected Diaz to operate. It's why I think he might have a future as a good HC.

He'd better not be running another mole hunt with the Baker firings though - that ****** needs to be relieved of his job.

Advertisement

Gotta think he may be throwing info out there now that’s bogus.He has kept the info tighter than a crabs *** since he’s been here for the most part.
Wouldn’t doubt he’s on a fishing expedition now regarding Whats going on with Baker and PATKE.

I have this friend. He used to coach at Texas as a DC, and also had a very brief stint as the head coach of Temple. He told me in confidence that he thinks Blake James is an absolute douche and needs to be fired. He also said that Blake’s wife looks like a man.

Advertisement
Back