A message board story

Or how about the posted picture of Butch meeting with I think a BOT at a restaurant in Lauderdale

Advertisement
This really goes back to the person with first hand knowledge. If you work for the program or have legit, first hand knowledge of some big story, it’s on you to keep your mouth shut and not tell friends. Because the more people who know a secret, the less of a secret it is. You have to assume anyone you talk to is at least going to tell one more person. Maybe the guy you tell won’t go public but eventually someone is going to talk the further down the line it goes. It’s why I take message board insiders with a grain of salt. They have nothing to lose by passing false information. Message board rep doesn’t have tangible value and all you have to do is change a screen name or open a new account. If the rumors hit the media types, there’s probably more weight to them because if you’re trying to earn a living by breaking news, you can’t afford to be wrong very often. It’s why most of the bigger names that cover the team never report anything earth shattering. They’ll let someone else share rumors and purposely play it close to the best.
No doubt the provider of info is culpable but that doesn’t resolve the receiver of such from culpability - especially if the receiver was seen as a confidant.

Nonetheless, people within any organization privy to sensitive info should have enough integrity to keep that info close to the vest in the best interest of the organization that’s providing them a paycheck.

**** bro, sorry to hear that, and thanks for sharing.... these types of jobs are so cut throat it's ridiculous! Yeah, it was easier back in '97 in the Grassy days.

Wait - The Gators are basically paying players in Jordans/the secondary sneaker resale market?

I mean that's pretty smart but they would need to give them a LOT of Js for the perks to be worthwhile/equivalent to buying a player.

How does Keon Zipperer's dad walk out of Gainesville with 50 shoeboxes?
You still can't sell them. That is what got Ohio State in trouble a few years back.

Last week I got **** on for asking if It was complaint for ER to be contacting a recruit since he’s not a coach.

These horror stories are why I did. Didn’t want to publicize a potential violation that could come back to bite us in the ***.

Advertisement
I would add, it's not just the Miami coaches/staff reading our boards, but also all of our rivals.

I won't go into a huge amount of detail, as many people already know this story, but I'll relate the basics.

Years ago, on another UM board, a bunch of posters used to get together for tailgates, etc. There was a guy (UM fan) who told us that his brother was going to be a good one who would be highly recruited, but you frequently hear that kind of stuff from posters who are pumped up about their relatives when the kids excel at the middle school level. A couple of times, I sold one of my spare game tix to this particular guy, so I knew him well from spending time with him at tailgates and games, and some of the other guys on the board were even closer with him.

As it turned out, his brother was in fact heavily recruited (blue-chip), and when the time came for an unofficial visit to Miami, one of the guys on the UM board picked up the two brothers (one was the recruit, the other was the older brother who posted and was a UM fan) from the airport and went to eat prior to the visit. The details were posted on a paid-subscription UM board, but as always, the clout-chasers ran to tell their friends on all of the free boards. Rival fans picked up on the free board info, and started claiming that Miami was breaking the rules.

Eventually, the word got around to Miami's Athletic Department, and the "airport pickup guy" had to spend nearly one full day with UM Compliance, explaining the whole situation, the origin of the friendship, etc. No violation found, but stern warnings were issued.

It was ridiculous. The info went from a subscription UM board...to free UM boards...to rival fans...to rival fan boards...and then eventually to UM coaches/admins. All within a couple of days.

For the record, I never thought the Tyrique Stevenson info (and Barry Jacksoff's leak) met the definition of "tampering". But that doesn't matter one bit if our rivals try to report us for it anyhow. Our rivals will absolutely read these boards and turn us in to the NCAA if they think it will ***** up our recruiting, particularly for 5 stars that they think should be going to SEC schools rather than Miami.

Poster beware.
If anybody in here doesn’t think that other programs have staff members that read and even post on these boards, then you haven’t been paying attention.
I ran into a Bama fan 2 years ago at work and he told me “saban has staff members that know everything about a kid”.
“They know their entire social media history”. “They know every family member” They know everywhere the kid hangs out at and who he hangs out with”.
He said saban won’t take anyone in the program unless he knows almost everything about him.
They know that these boards have people that know dudes in the team or a family member of a kid or someone that works at the athletic department.
These message boards are basically one big “snitchfomercial”

Remember the Applewhite and Fedora bs when manny first started? That was legit info coming through but it wasn’t reality.

He knows who had that info and where it came from and they got canned.

He told some people in the building Applewhite, some got Fedora, some got another name. He knew exactly who to can.

This is probably one of the most underrated smart things I have heard Manny do and a legit CEO move. Hearing that he set people up with false information to discover where the leaks were and then plugging the leaks this way gives me a shred of hope.

This is probably one of the most underrated smart things I have heard Manny do and a legit CEO move. Hearing that he set people up with false information to discover where the leaks were and then plugging the leaks this way gives me a shred of hope.
Agreed but he ended up hiring Enos.

If he overhauls this defensive staff he’s fired or had to replace everyone from the original staff except Field and Hickson and maybe Patke.

No sense in being secretive when you just **** up. Nobody cared that we were hiring Butch Barry, Taylor Stubblefield, Baker, etc

Manny knows how to play the media and info game though.

Agreed but he ended up hiring Enos.

If he overhauls this defensive staff he’s fired or had to replace everyone from the original staff except Field and Hickson and maybe Patke.

No sense in being secretive when you just **** up. Nobody cared that we were hiring Butch Barry, Taylor Stubblefield, Baker, etc

Manny knows how to play the media and info game though.

I hear you 100%, man. Plugging leaks to move in secret doesn't mean **** if you're ultimately just going to make garbage moves.

Advertisement
Miami has GAs that get subscriptions to 247 and Canesport and log in here to read the stuff and monitor for leaks and stuff as well as rumors circulating. Most big schools do. Especially when they don’t want stuff out like Miami.

I also have a friend on the GA staff that reads these boards. The reason I changed my username to start with but someone figured it out and posted it and he read it. Shocked he didn’t get tipped off on the TS rumor sooner than when Barry leaked it. I was DMing guys fo delete guesses left and right

Big reason Doherty and Darrow got let go. Can’t keep their mouths shut

do they read the posts by roman and roffers that completely eviscerate baker and the defensive coaching staff?

Good post.
Trust with confidential knowledge is a KEY.
The problem is that if you use the KEY to open a door, then you can never close it...
Simple, keep your **** mouth shut, and ***** the idea of being an "INSIDER in the KNOW" for anything.
Truth........... you may think you are, but you KNOW you are not......be real.

Advertisement
Not trying to bash Manny, but this move has been going on in the Hecht for a decade. Randy was doing it all the time to try and sniff out who was feeding CaneVette back during the RCT era. They actually thought it was me for a bit.

Not trying to bash Manny, but this move has been going on in the Hecht for a decade. Randy was doing it all the time to try and sniff out who was feeding CaneVette back during the RCT era. They actually thought it was me for a bit.

Fair, but it always felt like Randy's ship had its fair share of leaks that he struggled to close. Golden... it seemed like everybody and their cousin knew what was happening at Hecht during his tenure.

I love insider info but not when it's detrimental to the team. This isn't happening at the rate at sec programs as it is here. That's why there bag game is so strong ppl can actually keep quiet about the info that they get and only will give out lil nuggets. If Manny can get control of the info getting out I think that can help the program take off. You can tell 247 is almost out of the loop now lol

Advertisement
Remember the Applewhite and Fedora bs when manny first started? That was legit info coming through but it wasn’t reality.

He knows who had that info and where it came from and they got canned.

He told some people in the building Applewhite, some got Fedora, some got another name. He knew exactly who to can.
Tyrion... is that you??

Fair, but it always felt like Randy's ship had its fair share of leaks that he struggled to close. Golden... it seemed like everybody and their cousin knew what was happening at Hecht during his tenure.
Randy found leaks and gave them a stern talking to, Manny found leaks and kicked them to the curb.

I feel for you, OP and it sounds like a lesson learned. But if your boy didn't want his **** out there, he shouldn't have told you.

Advertisement
Back