A look into the "New" Sun Life stadium (video)

No offense, but this does not give me a college football feel at all. If anything, this looks like another excuse for fans to be away from the game experience to explore the stadium experience. The finish product is going to be nice, don't get me wrong, but I don't see a great game day experience when fellow fans are drinking wine and conversing during the game.

I hear what you are saying, friend, but once again you are bowing to arbitrary tradition. UM is on the cutting edge of stadium comfort and accoutrements and soon every other big time college program will invest in it's stadium the way UM has invested in its stadium. Enjoy the ride Canesfam! #Canesfam

Ibis...lol...dude, between you and Franchise....my ribs hurt. Wait, did we even invest in this stadium???????? I thought we didn't even contribute a red cent to this stadium.

We invested a lot...just not any money or wins.

Advertisement
Did they move the Indian burial ground the stadium is built on?

We're trying to have a real football discussion, and you're bringing up dead sub-human savages? Get your mind right, or we might not ever become the friends that I think we can become.

Actually, I know a lot about how sound works. And yes, if you take out the empty seats, it takes away sound absorbers. First of all, you are concentrating the sound by bringing the seats closer to the field. Then, you are taking away what WOULD be empty seats that absorb sound. Then you are putting a giant roof over all the seats, where the sound is coming from. I promise you, it will make a big difference. You don't have to believe me, but I am confident it will be louder.

The seats closer to the field is big, but the real difference will be when they put the sound reflecting shade tree up. Not only will that draw more people to our noon games, but it'll make them sound louder than they normally are. It will draw more people out, no doubt. Maybe not 10K on average, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the difference between a sellout and 10K empty seats for say VT. People like new things. Also, I bet it helps recruiting.

I see people keep saying this crap about the sound level increasing and it's completely inaccurate. It's possible had they kept all the seats, but they're losing 10k plus. People who think putting a tarp with a huge hole in the middle of it and all around the sides thinking it'll be louder have no idea how sound works. The partial roof is adding nothing more than protection from the elements, that's it. Quit spreading b.s..

As for the rest and the video, it sure looks shiney. It resembles nothing of what I've come to know about college football from tailgating to game experience, but beggars can't be choosers. Yes, the bells and whistles may bring people out initially, but if the team isn't winning, it'll still be a ghost town in particular when tickets increase a good amount to make up for the lost seating.

Advertisement
So. How much UM invested in this?

I'm no fan of Stevie Michi-Gata Ross but he should have threatened to sue Donna personally the minute we added the amount he's paying to remodel his stadium for his pro team into our propaganda about "investing" in athletics.

Jesse Marx put a post on Facebook showing UM's massive investment in the renovations to Joe Robbie's Stadium. If Jesse said UM invested that money and put that on Facebook, then, by golly, it's true.

We shouldn't ever underestimate Alfredo's ability to parrot propaganda too. From today:

2015-04-21 20.43.54.jpg

there are basically zero responses in this thread about the fact that the stadium will be greatly improved for Cane fans... the fact that Miami invested none of the 400M is a GREAT thing... not a bad thing.

Advertisement
there are basically zero responses in this thread about the fact that the stadium will be greatly improved for Cane fans... the fact that Miami invested none of the 400M is a GREAT thing... not a bad thing.

This guy is a secretary in the admin office for sure.

Ibis Wings & Franchise..You're the reason we're in the shape we are. I hope we don't win one game. Rooting for the canes to win its 5 to 7 win max its ultimately rooting against them. We need Al out, We need Blake out. Period. End of Story.

Actually, I know a lot about how sound works. And yes, if you take out the empty seats, it takes away sound absorbers. First of all, you are concentrating the sound by bringing the seats closer to the field. Then, you are taking away what WOULD be empty seats that absorb sound. Then you are putting a giant roof over all the seats, where the sound is coming from. I promise you, it will make a big difference. You don't have to believe me, but I am confident it will be louder.

The seats closer to the field is big, but the real difference will be when they put the sound reflecting shade tree up. Not only will that draw more people to our noon games, but it'll make them sound louder than they normally are. It will draw more people out, no doubt. Maybe not 10K on average, but I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the difference between a sellout and 10K empty seats for say VT. People like new things. Also, I bet it helps recruiting.

I see people keep saying this crap about the sound level increasing and it's completely inaccurate. It's possible had they kept all the seats, but they're losing 10k plus. People who think putting a tarp with a huge hole in the middle of it and all around the sides thinking it'll be louder have no idea how sound works. The partial roof is adding nothing more than protection from the elements, that's it. Quit spreading b.s..

As for the rest and the video, it sure looks shiney. It resembles nothing of what I've come to know about college football from tailgating to game experience, but beggars can't be choosers. Yes, the bells and whistles may bring people out initially, but if the team isn't winning, it'll still be a ghost town in particular when tickets increase a good amount to make up for the lost seating.

No offense Thomas, but it's clear you know nothing about sound and the principles of how it works. Your post comes across as very DBC'ish.

this stadium is everything football is not. so strange to hear ppl support it. disgusting.

Advertisement
Ibis Wings & Franchise..You're the reason we're in the shape we are. I hope we don't win one game. Rooting for the canes to win its 5 to 7 win max its ultimately rooting against them. We need Al out, We need Blake out. Period. End of Story.

I appreciate your contribution to this board, my good man, but I have to disagree with you. Al and Blake have the kids winning in life, and isn't that more important than the results of football games? The University of Miami is tasked with helping kids become responsible adults, and who does that better than Al and Blake? Al's pillars and core values will help these young men win the game of life. But Al and Blake have a vision for improving results on the football field and this team is getting better every practice, every day and every season. The University awaits your support with open arms. Embrace her, young man, and you will find the happiness you are seeking.

As long as the smucks on the BOT and in the administration continue their loser "process" no amount of stadium improvements will matter. Winning is what matters, not a longer wine list. The OB sucked in countless ways EXCEPT: Fins getting to 5 Super Bowl, winning 2 and having only frigging perfect season in NFL ever, Canes 5 NCs, 2 decades of dominance, NCAA record home wins(RIP baby). That other place has had zero good things happen for football fans, Fins or Canes. It should have been given to the Marlins since they actually won 2 World Series there. Then we could have a new improved OB on our sacred football ground. Come to us with news of a switch like that and we might get excited. Until then we will focus on getting Al fired.

Advertisement

I appreciate your contribution to this board, my good man, but I have to disagree with you. Al and Blake have the kids winning in life, and isn't that more important than the results of football games? The University of Miami is tasked with helping kids become responsible adults, and who does that better than Al and Blake? Al's pillars and core values will help these young men win the game of life. But Al and Blake have a vision for improving results on the football field and this team is getting better every practice, every day and every season. The University awaits your support with open arms. Embrace her, young man, and you will find the happiness you are seeking.

it's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world

As long as the smucks on the BOT and in the administration continue their loser "process" no amount of stadium improvements will matter. Winning is what matters, not a longer wine list. The OB sucked in countless ways EXCEPT: Fins getting to 5 Super Bowl, winning 2 and having only frigging perfect season in NFL ever, Canes 5 NCs, 2 decades of dominance, NCAA record home wins(RIP baby). That other place has had zero good things happen for football fans, Fins or Canes. It should have been given to the Marlins since they actually won 2 World Series there. Then we could have a new improved OB on our sacred football ground. Come to us with news of a switch like that and we might get excited. Until then we will focus on getting Al fired.

Not to get too off track here as that'd be simply uncouth but the OB gets a bad rap as being a complete dump. True, it had a million warts but even $400 mil won't make SLS appear more visually appealing on tv and in photos than the OB on a sunny afternoon in the fall when the rest of the country is beginning to enter a deep freeze. The tailgating/parking situation there is often mistakenly derided now as well. I can remember taking people there that grew up on Big Ten style tailgating and they loved it. Not because they thought it was better than you get at gigantic State U but because it was so freaking unique.

When you put even a partial roof on something, it reflects sound. Unless they use sound absorbing material, it WILL make it louder. Keep believing otherwise if you'd like, it doesn't bother me. There will be A) more people at the games. B) fewer empty seats. C) a massive "partial" roof. Now, you say there will be little to no difference? I think you're just being negative for the sake of being negative.

No offense Thomas, but it's clear you know nothing about sound and the principles of how it works. Your post comes across as very DBC'ish.

So you're a better UM fan than us because you want UM to lose? Strangely enough, after my catastrophic brain injury a couple weeks ago, that makes perfect sense.

Advertisement
Back