A little intel from an ACC President

''"At UF's College of Medicine, only about 9 percent of the college's budget comes from the state," said spokeswoman Janine Sikes.''

Most of the grants are federal.

I keep telling you charging 3 times what an education is worth is the problem. The educators are robbing the next generation blind..

Advertisement
Great post!

Exactly, sports are often loss leaders to pull in the elusive male demographic and advertise for other things on the network.

One of the primary drivers of bloat in the educational system is the government sponsored availability of student debt. Law schools are an excellent case study: highly profitable for institutions, but there is no corresponding job market once grads are through.

''
Of that 52k, less than 1,000 of them make more than $200k/yr. That's less than 2% of all faculty and employees.''

That's 1000 to many!

''About another 3500 make between 100k and 200k. That means that less than 10% of all university faculty and employees make more than 100k.''

Very few should make 100k, I don't think you get it, kids can't pay the amount of money back with the jobs they will get when they are done with college. One thing I hate doing is educating a teacher using common sense. Get some uneducated smuck like me to do the paper work for all those grants, fire the ones that are way over paid. Send the kids out early to doctors offices, law offices or whatever field they choose to learn what they really need to know, college is massive scam now. Still love me some Canes football though, lol.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57555780/student-loan-debt-nears-$1-trillion-is-it-the-new-subprime/

They can't afford to pay it back because the jobs don't pay enough, that means the education is not worth what they are charging, higher paid teachers and the rest of the scammers need to take big cuts. That effects the whole economy down the road, if they have bad credit they cant buy that teachers big house when they want to downsize, ect.

Oh. and fast, here's another thing.

Look at that database of salaries you posted. There are over 52k records there, 52k faculty members university employees listed there.

Of that 52k, less than 1,000 of them make more than $200k/yr. That's less than 2% of all faculty and employees.

About another 3500 make between 100k and 200k. That means that less than 10% of all university faculty and employees make more than 100k.

Faculty salaries are not the problem.

No, you're the one who doesn't get it.

I've told you over and over again that the high-paid professors are med-school profs and science researchers who are tops in their field and bring in millions of dollars in grants to their universities, as well as millions of dollars of industry to the state of FLA.

You're acting as though the contribute nothing, which couldn't be further from the truth.

You just keep showing your ignorance.

Another thing, if they are all bringing in so many million for each professor, why do they still have to rape the kids beyond belief dollar wise? You would think they would be able to go to school for free with all the money they're bringing in, lol. Your up thinker!

I just explained to you that the biggest problem is the rise in administrative/bureaucratic positions and pay--NOT professor pay.

Do some research, educate yourself before you continue to illustrate just how dumb you are.

Here are a couple articles for you:

1. From the Wall Street Journal:

"Across U.S. higher education, nonclassroom costs have ballooned, administrative payrolls being a prime example. The number of employees hired by colleges and universities to manage or administer people, programs and regulations increased 50% faster than the number of instructors between 2001 and 2011, the U.S. Department of Education says. It's part of the reason that tuition, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, has risen even faster than health-care costs."

2. From Washington Monthly:

Apparently, as colleges and universities have had more money to spend, they have not chosen to spend it on expanding their instructional resources—that is, on paying faculty. They have chosen, instead, to enhance their administrative and staff resources. A comprehensive study published by the Delta Cost Project in 2010 reported that between 1998 and 2008, America’s private colleges increased spending on instruction by 22 percent while increasing spending on administration and staff support by 36 percent. Parents who wonder why college tuition is so high and why it increases so much each year may be less than pleased to learn that their sons and daughters will have an opportunity to interact with more administrators and staffers— but not more professors. Well, you can’t have everything.

3. From Bloomberg:

Purdue has a $313,000-a-year acting provost and six vice and associate vice provosts, including a $198,000 chief diversity officer. It employs 16 deans and 11 vice presidents, among them a $253,000 marketing officer and a $433,000 business school chief.
Administrative costs on college campuses are soaring, crowding out instruction at a time of skyrocketing tuition and $1 trillion in outstanding student loans. At Purdue and other U.S. college campuses, bureaucratic growth is pitting professors against administrators and sparking complaints that tight budgets could be spent more efficiently.

“We’re a public university,” Robinson said. “We’re here to deliver a high-quality education at as low a price as possible. Why is it that we can’t find any money for more faculty, but there seems to be an almost unlimited budget for administrators?”

Serious question, fast: what is it that you think professors do? Just teach for 7 months out of the year? What are you basing that upon?

I wanted to be a professor myself; I got into grad school for English, wanted to go through the whole PhD process (which usually takes about 6-7 years from start to finish), and become an English professor.

I got to know a lot of professors, not just in English, but in Sociology, Medicine, and other fields too.

Those folks put in some serious hours. When they're not teaching, they're writing and researching. If they don't write and research enough, they get their funding cut and don't get tenure. Ever heard the phrase "publish or perish"? Look into it.

When they're not researching or writing, they're working up grant proposals. When they're not doing that, they're sitting on faculty councils or hiring councils or master's or doctoral dissertation committees. If they don't do enough of that, they don't get tenure.

The profs I knew personally worked a good 60 hrs a week and didn't get 4 months of the year off; they made about 80k for a full year's work.

And those were the profs that actually MADE it to tenure track positions. A lot of my peers were adjuncts who were working for 15-20k/yr teaching 3-4 classes per semester. That's 75-100 students each semester, for whom they had to read and grade essays, hold conferences, and teach. They worked full 40-hr weeks at a minimum just doing that. If they hoped to eventually get tenure track jobs, they ALSO did their own research and were writing their own books/articles.

I quit after the master's degree, decided that I didn't want to be 35 yrs old, working 60 hrs/week making 20k in the hopes that one day 7 or 8 years down the road I could maybe get a tenure track job making 50k.

Last edited:
Exactly, sports are often loss leaders to pull in the elusive male demographic and advertise for other things on the network.

One of the primary drivers of bloat in the educational system is the government sponsored availability of student debt. Law schools are an excellent case study: highly profitable for institutions, but there is no corresponding job market once grads are through.

Actually, one of the primary divers of bloat is the rise in the administrative sector in universities. Faculty hiring remains pretty limited, and much has been shifted to low-salary adjuncts who don't get bennies. But the administrative sector has grown by leaps and bounds. It's not that they make huge salaries--it's that there are so many of them, so many layers of bureaucracy.

Chicken and egg. I agree with you about administrative costs, but that is made possible by funding, which comes from student loans. Bloat can't happen without the budget to do it. It is skewed supply and demand because the government is keeping the up-front cost of education artificially low. If students actually either a) had to go through a typical crediworthiness check (i.e., what is the likelihood they can actually pay their student loans back), or b) foot the cost up front, you would see many fewer applicants, which would in turn force the universities to lower the cost to drive volume until proper (not the current artificial) equilibrium is achieved.

Law school is beginning to correct itself because the situation for recent grads is so dire. Who knows if undergrad will follow suit, but hopefully we will wake up as a country soon (unlikely) and realize trade schools are a much better option for a lot of kids than a worthless liberal arts degree.

Advertisement
''"At UF's College of Medicine, only about 9 percent of the college's budget comes from the state," said spokeswoman Janine Sikes.''

I keep telling you charging 3 times what an education is worth is the problem. The educators are robbing the next generation blind..

Agree with the sentiment, although the medical profession is probably the biggest exception. With doctor's pay being driving down significantly, it will take major subsidies to get kids to become doctors, especially general practitioners. Given other regulatory obstacles in the market, if we don't subsidize medical education and research, we will end up with no doctors and no medicine, which would be robbing the next generation blind in a different way.

Actually, one of the primary divers of bloat is the rise in the administrative sector in universities. Faculty hiring remains pretty limited, and much has been shifted to low-salary adjuncts who don't get bennies. But the administrative sector has grown by leaps and bounds. It's not that they make huge salaries--it's that there are so many of them, so many layers of bureaucracy.

Chicken and egg. I agree with you about administrative costs, but that is made possible by funding, which comes from student loans. Bloat can't happen without the budget to do it. It is skewed supply and demand because the government is keeping the up-front cost of education artificially low. If students actually either a) had to go through a typical crediworthiness check (i.e., what is the likelihood they can actually pay their student loans back), or b) foot the cost up front, you would see many fewer applicants, which would in turn force the universities to lower the cost to drive volume until proper (not the current artificial) equilibrium is achieved.

Law school is beginning to correct itself because the situation for recent grads is so dire. Who knows if undergrad will follow suit, but hopefully we will wake up as a country soon (unlikely) and realize trade schools are a much better option for a lot of kids than a worthless liberal arts degree.

Not really chicken and egg; the cost has been driven up because of the growth in the admin sector. Again, reference the articles and studies above. As long as departments can justify administrative hirings to the president/board of regents, they'll push to fund those positions via the state legislature...which then necessitates the state to raise tuition. Rarely does the tuition increase come before the positions are vetted and approved; the latter happens first, then they scramble to fund the position.

I agree that the student loan bubble is a huge issue, but you've got to look at who's benefiting from said bubble: the instructors and faculty members are not...the administrators and bureaucrats are.

Last edited:
''This generation of kids are getting F up the *** with all the over paid teachers, staff and presidents.''

This was in my first post, I guess you can't read to well! I agree, staff and presidents are way the **** over paid, fire them.

If you want to throw out BS articles so can I. Thousands more just like it.

School

Last Name

First Name

Title

Rate

Funding program
USF

FENSKE

NEIL

Professor

$1,213,362.00

Teaching Hospitals and Allied Clinics - USF
UF

FRIEDMAN

WILLIAM

Professor

$808,437.00

Educational & General
UF

BEHRNS

KEVIN

Professor

$636,122.85

Contracts & Grants
USF

SMITH

DAVID

Professor

$627,356.00

UF

NUSSBAUM

MICHAEL

Professor

$612,000.00

Educational & General
UF

BLEIWEIS

MARK

Associate Professor

$574,951.52

Contracts & Grants
UF

JACOB

RAYMOND

Associate Professor

$568,140.00

Educational & General
UF

MCCOOK

BARRY

Associate Professor

$550,000.00

Contracts & Grants
UF

GOOD

MICHAEL

Professor

$542,880.00

Educational & General
USF

CHERPELIS

BASIL

Associate Professor

$538,683.00

UF

CHALAM

KAKARLA

Professor

$532,071.28

Contracts & Grants
USF

MOMBERG

JOEL

V P ADVANCEMENT/ALUMNI AFF.

$530,250.00

Contracts & Grants
UF

MENDENHALL

NANCY

Professor

$523,701.39

Educational & General
FIU

ROCK

JOHN

Professor

$522,750.00

Educational & General
UF

HEGER

IAN

Assistant Professor

$520,000.00

Contracts & Grants
USF

GLASS

LEWIS

Professor

$517,476.00

UF

MANCUSO

ANTHONY

Professor

$514,000.00

Contracts & Grants
UF

HROMAS

ROBERT

Professor

$510,000.00

Contracts & Grants
UF

ALDANA

PHILIPP

Assistant Professor

$507,790.00

Educational & General
UF

MARTIN

TOMAS

Professor

$504,883.08

Contracts & Grants

http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=191280
If you don't think these are bloated salaries for a public sector job there is something wrong with you. Add probably another 100 pages of these crooks.

''
Of that 52k, less than 1,000 of them make more than $200k/yr. That's less than 2% of all faculty and employees.''

That's 1000 to many!

''About another 3500 make between 100k and 200k. That means that less than 10% of all university faculty and employees make more than 100k.''

Very few should make 100k, I don't think you get it, kids can't pay the amount of money back with the jobs they will get when they are done with college. One thing I hate doing is educating a teacher using common sense. Get some uneducated smuck like me to do the paper work for all those grants, fire the ones that are way over paid. Send the kids out early to doctors offices, law offices or whatever field they choose to learn what they really need to know, college is massive scam now. Still love me some Canes football though, lol.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57555780/student-loan-debt-nears-$1-trillion-is-it-the-new-subprime/

They can't afford to pay it back because the jobs don't pay enough, that means the education is not worth what they are charging, higher paid teachers and the rest of the scammers need to take big cuts. That effects the whole economy down the road, if they have bad credit they cant buy that teachers big house when they want to downsize, ect.

Oh. and fast, here's another thing.

Look at that database of salaries you posted. There are over 52k records there, 52k faculty members university employees listed there.

Of that 52k, less than 1,000 of them make more than $200k/yr. That's less than 2% of all faculty and employees.

About another 3500 make between 100k and 200k. That means that less than 10% of all university faculty and employees make more than 100k.

Faculty salaries are not the problem.

No, you're the one who doesn't get it.

I've told you over and over again that the high-paid professors are med-school profs and science researchers who are tops in their field and bring in millions of dollars in grants to their universities, as well as millions of dollars of industry to the state of FLA.

You're acting as though the contribute nothing, which couldn't be further from the truth.

You just keep showing your ignorance.

Another thing, if they are all bringing in so many million for each professor, why do they still have to rape the kids beyond belief dollar wise? You would think they would be able to go to school for free with all the money they're bringing in, lol. Your up thinker!

I just explained to you that the biggest problem is the rise in administrative/bureaucratic positions and pay--NOT professor pay.

Do some research, educate yourself before you continue to illustrate just how dumb you are.

Here are a couple articles for you:

1. From the Wall Street Journal:

"Across U.S. higher education, nonclassroom costs have ballooned, administrative payrolls being a prime example. The number of employees hired by colleges and universities to manage or administer people, programs and regulations increased 50% faster than the number of instructors between 2001 and 2011, the U.S. Department of Education says. It's part of the reason that tuition, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, has risen even faster than health-care costs."

2. From Washington Monthly:

Apparently, as colleges and universities have had more money to spend, they have not chosen to spend it on expanding their instructional resources—that is, on paying faculty. They have chosen, instead, to enhance their administrative and staff resources. A comprehensive study published by the Delta Cost Project in 2010 reported that between 1998 and 2008, America’s private colleges increased spending on instruction by 22 percent while increasing spending on administration and staff support by 36 percent. Parents who wonder why college tuition is so high and why it increases so much each year may be less than pleased to learn that their sons and daughters will have an opportunity to interact with more administrators and staffers— but not more professors. Well, you can’t have everything.

3. From Bloomberg:

Purdue has a $313,000-a-year acting provost and six vice and associate vice provosts, including a $198,000 chief diversity officer. It employs 16 deans and 11 vice presidents, among them a $253,000 marketing officer and a $433,000 business school chief.
Administrative costs on college campuses are soaring, crowding out instruction at a time of skyrocketing tuition and $1 trillion in outstanding student loans. At Purdue and other U.S. college campuses, bureaucratic growth is pitting professors against administrators and sparking complaints that tight budgets could be spent more efficiently.

“We’re a public university,” Robinson said. “We’re here to deliver a high-quality education at as low a price as possible. Why is it that we can’t find any money for more faculty, but there seems to be an almost unlimited budget for administrators?”

Fast:

Can you read? Seriously?

I've looked at the data on the link you posted several times now. I understand that there are several professors making better than 500k.

Do they not deserve to make 500K?

What would you say is the appropriate pay for this guy, Kakarla Chalam, who is the chair of the department of Opthalmology and the director of residencies in opthalmology at Shands Hospital at UF. On top of his MD, he's also got an MBA. He's published 116 scholarly articles, many in top academic journals in the field. He's a world-renowned scholar, researcher, doctor, and professor.

How much should a guy like that make?

Look at the list of salaries you posted--now look up what each of those people does. They're all basically working for med schools at UF or USF.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fast -

You're getting sent to Bolivian as soon as 24 hours pass.

Your posts read like computer programming, and you're somehow both patronizing and incredibly dense.

My 'facts' prove it. My 'facts' prove it.

There.

Agree with the sentiment, although the medical profession is probably the biggest exception. With doctor's pay being driving down significantly, it will take major subsidies to get kids to become doctors, especially general practitioners. Given other regulatory obstacles in the market, if we don't subsidize medical education and research, we will end up with no doctors and no medicine, which would be robbing the next generation blind in a different way.

Agree with you on subsidies for kids to become doctors in most cases. My wife works a few months a year for doctors, she has to much energy to hang with me all day. lol She works for orthos, most of them are multi-millionaires in a very short time. One has a couple million dollar house in Vegas, and another one on Laguna beach worth probably 5 mil. Obviously, these doctors are way the **** over paid, I don't wonder why HC is so out of whack. Most of the doctors she worked for were in the same boat. It's unbelievable how little work they do in the office, ortho techs do everything. IMO, this needs to be the thing of the future, only a hand full states do this so far, these doctors are smart, getting ready for Obamacare. They see patients do nothing except surgery on different days. The sad part is, my wife has to show the first year doctors how to give a shots in joints, how to manipulate and do reductions. These are last year med students and even residents. What the **** did they teach them in med school? That is why I say, college is such a joke. We need to subsidize new students for medical jobs, but not by giving teachers big pensions, drop plans and outrageous pay. In fact we could get rid of Med school all together, look at all the new doctors we would have. lol Send the kids right to the hospitals to learn on the job.

30 years ago, my sister went to school to be a nurse, a 3 year school. She went to Peter Bent Brigham, a famous research hospital in Boston. Most of her time there was clinical, when she got out she was a top nurse. My first girlfriend went to Boston University to be a nurse, 4 years of mostly college, a good college. The only thing is, she didn't know 10% of what my sister did when she got out. Time to go back to what really works and college in many cases does not.

It's set up to rob people blind as far as I'm concerned. A few years of college, 2 or 3, make sure they can read and write then spend the rest of the time in the field, not in some useless college learning something they will never use. Find a way to weed out the bad ones, we would have much better trained doctors IMO. That would certainly make it cheaper for new students that want to become doctors.

Again Heel, you just don't get it. The kids getting out of school are not going to be able to pay off those loans, over 1 trillion already in default or close. What the **** don't you get? College is costing the kids too much, many of these people are way the **** over paid. If he is a heart surgeon or like give him 400k, otherwise ***** him. Don't care how many pieces of paper he has. Go to any country in the world, see how much they pay their doctors, that is what ours should be paid. While I was in Vegas I met many Europeans, I met a husband and wife that were both doctors from Germany, they were horrified on how much doctors make here. 40 million people in this country cant afford healthcare, wonder why? See a problem here? http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...l-bills-cause-62-percent-of-nbsp-bankruptcies

The system is broken, everything has to change or as a country we are done. Listen, it would be nice for everyone to make a million dollars a year, but it's just not possible. We have to many sucking off the system, teachers, firemen, cops and many other gov workers. Not in all area's we don't let our firemen here steal, all volunteer, I have helped out. Our cops are paid very little but get to retire at 55, with a pension and HC, I have no problem with that, the people in Florida and many other states need to wake up or cities will just go bankrupt. Imagine that dumb *** doctor making more than the president of the strongest country in the entire world, that's F up. NO THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO MAKE 500K. 62% of all bankruptcies are from Medical bill, what the F cant you understand? Without massive fed dollars coming from the fed gov, those paper pushing doctors sitting on boards would be making what they should be, 100k. To many paper pushers making things to hard on the little guy, their kids and grand kids. I'd say you should have went to college for economics, but those dumb *** liberal teachers only understand spending your way out of debt, let's see how that works out for our country.

Fast:

Can you read? Seriously?

I've looked at the data on the link you posted several times now. I understand that there are several professors making better than 500k.

What would you say is the appropriate pay for this guy, Kakarla Chalam, who is the chair of the department of Opthalmology and the director of residencies in opthalmology at Shands Hospital at UF. On top of his MD, he's also got an MBA. He's published 116 scholarly articles, many in top academic journals in the field. He's a world-renowned scholar, researcher, doctor, and professor.

Another thinker I see, lol.

Fast -

You're getting sent to Bolivian as soon as 24 hours pass.

Your posts read like computer programming, and you're somehow both patronizing and incredibly dense.

My 'facts' prove it. My 'facts' prove it.

There.

Advertisement
fast, you keep repeating the same crap but you're skipping over the obvious:

YOU'RE BLAMING THE WRONG PEOPLE.

Look, I agree college costs are too high. I agree the student loan bubble is ******** kids.

But high teacher pay is not the reason for this. Professors aren't to blame--they're not getting paid gaudy salaries for their work. In fact, in most instances, it could be argued that they are UNDERpaid.

You keep showing the data of the top-paid professors--and I've repeatedly tried to show you that they are NOT overpaid...these are people who are the tops in their field in medicine, who are working 60-80 hrs a week as surgeons and teachers and heads of their medical units.

Those salaries are not indicative of the average. I don't know why you keep acting like they are.

Hey Heel, why don't you respond to the drop plans, some worth over 1 million dollars The unused sick time turned in for hundreds of K's? Massive pensions? Imagine some kid not even born yet will be paying for some pricks massive pension, I look at these people as being worse than most criminals. These people are making way to much to get any other freebee's. At what point do you stick up for the next few generations?

Hey Heel, why don't you respond to the drop plans, some worth over 1 million dollars The unused sick time turned in for hundreds of K's? Massive pensions? Imagine some kid not even born yet will be paying for some pricks massive pension, I look at these people as being worse than most criminals. These people are making way to much to get any other freebee's. At what point do you stick up for the next few generations?

Why don't you provide some factual data and I'll respond.

How many professors have unused sick time turned in for hundreds of ks?

How many have drop plans over 1 mil?

Hoe many have massive pensions...and how massive are they?

You're spouting a lot of unsubstantiated BS and wild exaggerations. And you're acting like abuses to the system are rampant. If you want to have a decent discussion about facts, try to provide some actual facts.

Advertisement
Even 150k is double what the average professor should make for 7 months work. I have told you over and over, the professors I know in Boca Raton do not work in the summer, they have loads of time off. Stop making like they all work 40 hours per week like in the private sector. Most Surgeons in the private sector don't work 60 hours per week unless they are on call for a weekend. Most don't work weekends unless they are on call. You dumb *** I have been around this field for over 25 years. 80 hours, lol those cases are very rare. I'm sure they have many surgeons on staff in hospitals for weekends but the will have days off during the week.

Look, I agree college costs are too high. I agree the student loan bubble is ******** kids.

But high teacher pay is not the reason for this. Professors aren't to blame--they're not getting paid gaudy salaries for their work. In fact, in most instances, it could be argued that they are UNDERpaid.

You keep showing the data of the top-paid professors--and I've repeatedly tried to show you that they are NOT overpaid...these are people who are the tops in their field in medicine, who are working 60-80 hrs a week as surgeons and teachers and heads of their medical units.

Those salaries are not indicative of the average. I don't know why you keep acting like they are.

Even 150k is double what the average professor should make for 7 months work. I have told you over and over, the professors I know in Boca Raton do not work in the summer, they have loads of time off. Stop making like they all work 40 hours per week like in the private sector. Most Surgeons in the private sector don't work 60 hours per week unless they are on call for a weekend. Most don't work weekends unless they are on call. You dumb *** I have been around this field for over 25 years. 80 hours, lol those cases are very rare. I'm sure they have many surgeons on staff in hospitals for weekends but the will have days off during the week.

You're so full of ****.

Good night, dumbass.

''It would be one thing if students and their parents had to scrimp and save and borrow and compromise to pay the necessary costs of college. But the plain fact is that they are doing so in order to let faculty members teach five classes a year, spending only 18-20 hours in the classroom per week!''

''College costs are as high as they are because the institutions coddle their faculty letting them off with work weeks that we would find laughable while they increase their administrative costs and debt out of all proportion to reality.''

''If colleges required their faculty to work harder (approximating the work week the rest of us find normal), held down administrative spending, and reined in borrowing for capital improvements, that these institutions could charge half of what they now do in tuition and fees. That’s right…half!''

http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/16/morris/

Stop with that over worked garbage.....

Fast:

Can you read? Seriously?

Look at the list of salaries you posted--now look up what each of those people does. They're all basically working for med schools at UF or USF.

Advertisement
Back