A little intel from an ACC President

dycane

Senior
Had lunch with a certain ACC President (not Donna). He had some interesting things to tell me. Primary among them, and what I'll share with the board, is that the consensus is that Donna has boxed the NCAA into a corner and there is no out. He's a President of a state school and of course favors the status quo over players getting paid and a wholesale reform to the NCAA paradigm. He wants the Miami case disposed of summarily without further penalties. And he says that other ACC Presidents feel the same. He thought the NCAA's response in opposition to Miami's motion was a complete failure, both in substance and from a PR perspective. Finally, he believes that there is zero chance that UM does not go to court if the NCAA stubbornly presses on and the COA hands down stiff penalties. This is a guy who knows Donna fairly well. I tend to think he's correct.

One of the dynamics oft times ignored in our discussions is the fact that the NCAA member institutions want to continue the model of sham amateurism and self-regulation. The threat of litigation from a member institution is not being taken lightly by the other institutions. They do not want Miami going HAM on the NCAA in court (and more specifically, in discovery). With a dearth of hard evidence, mounting public criticism of the NCAA's handling of our case, and tacit opposition by other schools to end it now, I like our chances that the COA will find a way to end this case without any additional major penalties.

Advertisement
The ACC is a profit sharing conference. That we couldn't play in the ACCG against FSU was a loss for the entire conference.

I can't imagine ACC presidents being pleased that their biggest football brand is being held back by the nSECaa.

Nice. I certainly hope so. Donna is certainly a masterful politician and tactician. I trust her completely. So far she is winning the PR battle....by a big margin. That is no small feat considering that we are hated by the vast majority of the college football world.

And in these high profile and highly politicized cases.....where the PR game goes.....everything else will usually follow.

Had lunch with a certain ACC President (not Donna). He had some interesting things to tell me. Primary among them, and what I'll share with the board, is that the consensus is that Donna has boxed the NCAA into a corner and there is no out. He's a President of a state school and of course favors the status quo over players getting paid and a wholesale reform to the NCAA paradigm. He wants the Miami case disposed of summarily without further penalties. And he says that other ACC Presidents feel the same. He thought the NCAA's response in opposition to Miami's motion was a complete failure, both in substance and from a PR perspective. Finally, he believes that there is zero chance that UM does not go to court if the NCAA stubbornly presses on and the COA hands down stiff penalties. This is a guy who knows Donna fairly well. I tend to think he's correct.

One of the dynamics oft times ignored in our discussions is the fact that the NCAA member institutions want to continue the model of sham amateurism and self-regulation. The threat of litigation from a member institution is not being taken lightly by the other institutions. They do not want Miami going HAM on the NCAA in court (and more specifically, in discovery). With a dearth of hard evidence, mounting public criticism of the NCAA's handling of our case, and tacit opposition by other schools to end it now, I like our chances that the COA will find a way to end this case without any additional major penalties.

Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement
It's all going to depend on whether the COI plays ball and says the two bowls, ACCCG, and the other self-imposed sanctions have been enough. Looking at the other cases, especially the one with Oregon now, and OSU's, it should be. The length of the investigation itself cost a lot of potential commitments.

Players were suspended, restitution was made in the case of Vernon, 2 self-imposed bowl games and a conference championship game, plus fully cooperating with the communist NCAA = no further penalties and clean slate. UM will be a model program for other schools to follow.

Advertisement
Having the ACC presidents in our Corner is a major major plus. In order for the ACC to get back on the elite level they need Miami back. FSU alone won't cut it and the also rans Clemson and VT are nice supporting actors but the leads are both Miami and FSU anyway you slice it. Eerily similar to Duke and UNC in ACC baskets.

JC

Having the ACC presidents in our Corner is a major major plus. In order for the ACC to get back on the elite level they need Miami back. FSU alone won't cut it and the also rans Clemson and VT are nice supporting actors but the leads are both Miami and FSU anyway you slice it. Eerily similar to Duke and UNC in ACC baskets.

JC

Well ignoring basketball because our conference will be an all out war by adding Louisville, ND, Cuse and Pitt. The ACC will act in its best interest, they don't want Miami down because they need us and our brand.

The presidents (even FSU who may hate us) will act for the conference and support Miami regardless.

Advertisement
No further penalties wont get it dome. They will have to reject the LOIC charge. Minimum. Penalties aside. And likely pay UM's attorneys fees.

So ACC presidents want Miami to walk (not surprising) but what about other schools/conferences? What about the board members that gave Emmert a vote of confidence? What conference and schools do they represent?

This is nice to know, but there will be no ACC people on the COI and I don't see them having a vested interest in Miami.

Advertisement
Problem for me is I think we should take it to court no matter what.

+1

I would take their time served and then sue the fock out of this corrupt gestapo style BS organization. Take the NCAA down now so they can't come after us again later down the road when they have even more of a vendetta against us. Time to break up the good ol' boy club...

Problem for me is I think we should take it to court no matter what.

I understand the sentiment but if we get time served. I am fine with it lets just play ball and recruit without this BS hovering over us

Time served isn't enough. Miami has to get the LOIC dropped as well. When the NCAA goes after us again we can't be a repeat repeat offender because they hand out the death penalty next. Miami is going to be a monster under Golden and they will come after us soon to save their sacred cow good ol' boy public schools from our wrath.

Advertisement
Back