A few things

LOL!! God I love recruiting season. I learned years ago not to get too caught up in what 17 year old kids are saying. They will do what they think is best for them. Some will be right and some won't. Is FSU the best fit for Cook? Who knows. I remember all the boards melting down when Antoine Smith spurned the U for FSU. He was another can't miss, best running back in years prospect who would be a game changer for FSU. He had a decent career up there but nothing to write home about. Then he bounced around NFL practice squads for a while but I don't think he ever made a roster. Not sure where he is now. Would it have gone better for him had he come to the U? I like to think so but who knows. Miami survived and I think the next year we signed Javaris, if I remember correctly. This year we have already got two "game changers" committed in Yearby and Powell. We have the Duke and I continue to think Gus will be a big power back the next three years. And we have Walton coming, hopefully next year. In short, if we don't get Cook it ain't a going to kill us. Relax and watch the recruiting junkies go all manic depressive over the next few weeks with every little tidbit of news that comes out. I really think that is more entertaining these days than the recruiting itself.

Advertisement
There's only one thig you can do: cut him a check.

You think Jimbo built this team of his on hidden gems? FSU got tired of being a joke, and they started buying national studs. You can't win today without buying recruits.
Actually starting to believe this...What is making kids go to Arkansas over UM...why has Florida State owned us in recruiting the last few years. these guys are getting top national recruits in addition to getting elite sfla recruits, while we get a few "elite" recruits (besides Chad who can we really call elite ?) and the rest are solid guys but not guys that you build a dominating team with like FSU has now...is Jimbo that good of a recruiter ? As soon as he stepped in it seems they pull 85% of the people they want...ridiculous

I already thought your post sucked. Then you dropped this nugget. Negged.
Can't bring myself to care at all... Chad and Valentine .. Who else ? How about Moten, McDermott, Yearby, Berrios, Darling, and Gibbons
Do you really believe those you names are ELITE ? it's your opinion but I don't agree...they're good/great players and I love to have them, but not the cream of the crop

There's only one thig you can do: cut him a check.

You think Jimbo built this team of his on hidden gems? FSU got tired of being a joke, and they started buying national studs. You can't win today without buying recruits.
Actually starting to believe this...What is making kids go to Arkansas over UM...why has Florida State owned us in recruiting the last few years. these guys are getting top national recruits in addition to getting elite sfla recruits, while we get a few "elite" recruits (besides Chad who can we really call elite ?) and the rest are solid guys but not guys that you build a dominating team with like FSU has now...is Jimbo that good of a recruiter ? As soon as he stepped in it seems they pull 85% of the people they want...ridiculous

I already thought your post sucked. Then you dropped this nugget. Negged.
Can't bring myself to care at all... Chad and Valentine .. Who else ?
If you don't see that FSU has been out recruiting us since Jimbo got there then idk what to tell you

Yeah, F$U has been out-recruiting us, but they haven't had the NCAA hanging over them either. He also had the benefit of a head start by just waiting for Bobby to leave, not to mention the good fortune of getting to recruit against Randy (who didn't really bother with it) for the first year and a scrambling AG his second year. The trolls will shout "excuses!", and that's fine. They think we should get everyone.
Gotta agree with that . I guess I'm just ****ed FSwho is "back"

LOL!! God I love recruiting season. I learned years ago not to get too caught up in what 17 year old kids are saying. They will do what they think is best for them. Some will be right and some won't. Is FSU the best fit for Cook? Who knows. I remember all the boards melting down when Antoine Smith spurned the U for FSU. He was another can't miss, best running back in years prospect who would be a game changer for FSU. He had a decent career up there but nothing to write home about. Then he bounced around NFL practice squads for a while but I don't think he ever made a roster. Not sure where he is now. Would it have gone better for him had he come to the U? I like to think so but who knows. Miami survived and I think the next year we signed Javaris, if I remember correctly. This year we have already got two "game changers" committed in Yearby and Powell. We have the Duke and I continue to think Gus will be a big power back the next three years. And we have Walton coming, hopefully next year. In short, if we don't get Cook it ain't a going to kill us. Relax and watch the recruiting junkies go all manic depressive over the next few weeks with every little tidbit of news that comes out. I really think that is more entertaining these days than the recruiting itself.

And some years before that the Noles brought in Marquette Smith who, I believe, was USA Today player of the year. He was a dud. Ended up transferring to UCF and oblivion.

Advertisement
Yea McDermott isn't Elite i mean he's only a 5 star and top 35 composite player smh... You guys are funny. Guys who are high 4 star and 5 star kids like Yearby, McDermott, Valentine, Thomas, Darling, Moten, Kaaya are elite prospects.. If they were committed elsewhere to FSU or UF we would be b1tching about why those kids aren't here. They aren't elite to some posters in here because these kids committed early with no drama and didn't play some hat game on NSD.. Thats why they aren't elite to some recruiting newbies here..

Willie Williams.... S. Henderson. The list goes on, and on, and on. For every one that we didn't get, there are ones that we did get. It is a crap shot. Those slitting their wrists are either new to the game or DBC level.

Chill.

Advertisement
Anthony Chiang ‏@Anthony_Chiang 11m
Dwyer WR Johnnie Dixon wearing #Canes shorts in practice as NC State coach watches him. #awkward

Dwyer WR Johnnie Dixon wearing #Canes shorts in practice as NC State coach watches him. #awkward

why do you post this? seriously. you can't really believe that his shorts provide any meaningful insight into where he will commit.

I know Canes slippers = Cane lock....but what do Canes shorts mean?

I'm guessing its symbolism. Dixon is trying to tell us that the Canes will come up just a little "short" in his recruitment.

why do you post this? seriously. you can't really believe that his shorts provide any meaningful insight into where he will commit.

Shut your mouth when you're talking to me! Clothes make the man. I'm wearing Yankees shorts right now and well….ugh….I see your point :D

Advertisement
Yea McDermott isn't Elite i mean he's only a 5 star and top 35 composite player smh... You guys are funny. Guys who are high 4 star and 5 star kids like Yearby, McDermott, Valentine, Thomas, Darling, Moten, Kaaya are elite prospects.. If they were committed elsewhere to FSU or UF we would be b1tching about why those kids aren't here. They aren't elite to some posters in here because these kids committed early with no drama and didn't play some hat game on NSD.. Thats why they aren't elite to some recruiting newbies here..
Ha "recruiting newbies"
Ill give McDermott Valentine Griffin when i see him enroll and I already said Chad...I guess we have different views on elite...I'm talking impact guys who will ball as freshmen, come in and push the juniors and seniors to be better or get their spot taken. That's elite. Stacy Coley , Artie Burns . If we recruit an elite safety last year , we don't have to deal with Highsmith out there doing whatever. We see that with other teams . Did we get an elite LB last year ? yeah Thomas played us but what about the year before that ? Nope. Same with if we had recruited the d line better . Got some better jucos...Why do we get a defensive lineman transfer from Virginia ? Will that win us a title ? Come on man

Last edited:
Ha "recruiting newbies"
Ill give McDermott Valentine Griffin when i see him enroll and I already said Chad...I guess we have different views on elite...I'm talking impact guys who will ball as freshmen, come in and push the juniors and seniors to be better or get their spot taken. That's elite. Stacy Coley , Artie Burns . If we recruit an elite safety last year , we don't have to deal with Highsmith out there doing whatever. Other teams . Same with if we had recruited the d line better . Got some better jucos...Why do we get a defensive lineman transfer from Virginia ? Will that win us a title ? Come on man

It has been a ton of times AJ Highsmith has SAVED OUR COLLECTIVE heinys this year. In the UF game who was it that snuffed out the 2 point conversion??? In the same game who was it that recovered the onsite kick that Jimmy Gaines OVERPLAYED?? Bingo you got it.

Advertisement
I guess we have different views on elite...I'm talking impact guys who will ball as freshmen, come in and push the juniors and seniors to be better or get their spot taken. That's elite. Stacy Coley , Artie Burns .

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying... but to say Valentine is not elite bc he won't dominate as a true freshman (in this scheme) is inaccurate. Making an impact at skill positions is one thing.. Doing it in the trenches is another. Sure a kid might can rush the passer & be successful.. but to play every snap is rare. (Guys like Nkemdiche don't come around very often)

As for the rest, the reason we missed out on LB/DT's the last few years is bc of the NCAA cloud. That can't be overlooked. AG was fighting with his hands tied behind his back (and still held his own).. Bringing in elite talent doesn't worry me one bit with this staff.. Using them in the right manner & being willing to win at all cost is.

I guess we have different views on elite...I'm talking impact guys who will ball as freshmen, come in and push the juniors and seniors to be better or get their spot taken. That's elite. Stacy Coley , Artie Burns .

I do agree with a lot of what you are saying... but to say Valentine is not elite bc he won't dominate as a true freshman (in this scheme) is inaccurate. Making an impact at skill positions is one thing.. Doing it in the trenches is another. Sure a kid might can rush the passer & be successful.. but to play every snap is rare. (Guys like Nkemdiche don't come around very often)

As for the rest, the reason we missed out on LB/DT's the last few years is bc of the NCAA cloud. That can't be overlooked. AG was fighting with his hands tied behind his back (and still held his own).. Bringing in elite talent doesn't worry me one bit with this staff.. Using them in the right manner & being willing to win at all cost is.
I was agreeing valentine was elite too . But I hear you

Al brought in O'Donnell and he was terrific on kickoffs, punts and tackles, graduate student with eligibility may be the ticket to a dt or lb, ya never know

Dixon didn't commit. Maybe he surpirses everyone and comes to Miami, but it's not looking that way is it?

Doesn't matter if we offered Treon at QB, he's still a top 5 kid and him not coming here but going to FSU is a miss.

Those other kids you mentioned are good prospects but not the top 10 kids in South Florida. I'm going by rivals and not Miami fanboy bent logic.

Lol ok so you go by rivals fine. Lets take another angle.

247 top ten prospects in south Florida

1. Cook - Gator
2. Lane - Gator
3. Kc - Cane
4. Valentine - Cane
5. Sony - UGA
6. Rudolph
7. Darling - Cane
8. Yearby - Cane
9. Thomas - Cane
10. Dixon

Then, if you look at Florida's top 100 prospects, we have 7 more prospects from South Florida alone committed to us. 12 south Florida kids in the top 100 is pretty good to me. Then add other Florida kids like Owens, Harris, Gibbons, etc. Then mix it in with OOS kids like Young, Jenkins, Berrios, etc.

Also I forgot Rudolph was committed as well since we already missed on him.

While its not looking good for Rudolph or Dixon at the moment, it wasnt looking good for coley or Howard at the time either. Reserve judgement till the LOI's are in. Dixon is a 50/50 shot between us and OSU. I bet Dixon will flip flop between the two schools a couple times before he makes his final decision this weekend.

OK fine, say we have 4 or 5 out of the top 10 committed. That's still not good enough. Maybe that bums everyone out but then they need to get thicker skin.

LMAO at that dude asking for fake news as long as it's good. Grow some thicker skin ppl.

It is what it is.

We're not recruiting well enough right now to win a national title, and that's what we all want. The talent is down here this year but if we want a championship team that means closing on guys like Sony and Cook and Rudolph and Lane and Dixon etc.

Championships are won and lost right now. Recruiting season.

You're just new to recruiting. Go back to the classes from 1998-2001, and tell me if we got all 10 of south Florida's best players.

The earliest Rivals goes back to is 2002.

1. Nate Harris - Miami
2. Nate Salley - Ohio State
3. Max Jean Gilles - Georgia
4. Terrell Walden - Miami
5. Baraka Atkins - Miami
6. Terrell McGill - LSU
7. Kareem Brown - Miami
8. Darnell Jenkins - Miami
9. Glenn Sharpe - Miami
10. Alex Pou - Miami

That's 7/10.

Ernie,
The 2002 recruiting class from south Florida is an exact example of what I meant when I said that UM had traditionally fared poorly in south Florida. The seven guys you cite constitute a very poor group (I am refraining from using the term "stunk"). When I referred to not doing well, I meant that the guys generally did not turn out to be good football players (on the actual football field in the actual games). As an example, five of your seven guys were not even drafted by the NFL. The best two, Kareem Brown and Baraka Atkins were chosen in the fourth round, not too shabby but not great either. If you are lamenting the fact that rivals only goes back to 2002, don't worry. I have every class since 1987, and I also have 1984. Just name a year, and, if you want, I will display the entire UM recruiting class from that year for you.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back