7-5

You can't fix stupid. Miami's offense will have to win a couple of additional shootouts, but we were PROJECTING AQM to be a beast. He hadn't done much of anything throughout his career. Losing Jermaine will hurt, but Diaz is good enough at his position to at least scheme around being down a linebacker. I also believe that the schedule sets up for Miami to get some early season confidence, and that will play a role when things get rough in the middle. This is still an 9-10 win team, unless the injury bug hits super hard.

This can be oversimplified.
Our offense will be better than last year.
Our defense can not be worse than last year.

Advertisement
OP is a pathetic excuse for a Cane fan. Always has been. Under the radar ******, finally getting his time to shine. Good job.

JJ Watt isn't worth 3 points on the line in an NFL game but an undersized LB and a pass rushing DE are the difference in stopping the run and what 2-3 extra losses?

Embarrassing

I heard this line, almost exactly, earlier today and I still don't get the comparison. One situation is an NFL player with an NFL replacement in a singular game. The other situation is "an undersized LB," with wildly inexperienced replacements, who could have done what no other replacement on the team will be able to do nearly as well. It will likely literally change defensive playcalls and personnel groupings beyond just "filling in the next man up at LB."

Like most sports, college football games come down to scenarios against equal or slightly superior talent. In college football, these are seemingly magnified. The 3rd and 2 where Dalvin Cook or ND's QB cutback after being initially disrupted in the backfield. And, a flexible, experienced and sure tackler like Grace is no longer our matchup. I don't know the exact number of "games" this affects - and don't find that number to be reasonably quantifiable - but I can guarantee you there will be dozens of critical scenarios where the outcome (a first down, a missed tackle, a sack, a forced fumble) is less likely to be in our favor without Grace. Anyone who wants to argue that, I'd like to hear a non-homer opinion so I can better understand.

I believe AQM, on the other hand, is a lesser loss. Together, though, I can see it affecting the W/L column - even if "minimally." How many games - 1 or 2 - we have no idea. I hope it's 0. Let's see which True Frosh LB steps up next to Shaq. What's done is f'in done and now we move on. Grace was my favorite player on the team. He's gone. We can still win football games. But, to hear opinions downplaying his loss seems off to me.

I've seen the Grace vs Cook battle. Since you brought up single scenarios in a game. He wasn't flexible or experienced enough to stop the go ahead touchdown last year. I'm not even blaming him. There could clearly be factors beyond his control that kept him from making the play. He dove and missed. You said the number isn't quantifiable and that was my point. Not that we're not worse off just that it can't be measured in games won or lost. Grace is gone but if Brad Kaaya and the offense is much better, do we come out ahead? Who knows?

JJ Watt isn't worth 3 points on the line in an NFL game but an undersized LB and a pass rushing DE are the difference in stopping the run and what 2-3 extra losses?

Embarrassing

I heard this line, almost exactly, earlier today and I still don't get the comparison. One situation is an NFL player with an NFL replacement in a singular game. The other situation is "an undersized LB," with wildly inexperienced replacements, who could have done what no other replacement on the team will be able to do nearly as well. It will likely literally change defensive playcalls and personnel groupings beyond just "filling in the next man up at LB."

Like most sports, college football games come down to scenarios against equal or slightly superior talent. In college football, these are seemingly magnified. The 3rd and 2 where Dalvin Cook or ND's QB cutback after being initially disrupted in the backfield. And, a flexible, experienced and sure tackler like Grace is no longer our matchup. I don't know the exact number of "games" this affects - and don't find that number to be reasonably quantifiable - but I can guarantee you there will be dozens of critical scenarios where the outcome (a first down, a missed tackle, a sack, a forced fumble) is less likely to be in our favor without Grace. Anyone who wants to argue that, I'd like to hear a non-homer opinion so I can better understand.

I believe AQM, on the other hand, is a lesser loss. Together, though, I can see it affecting the W/L column - even if "minimally." How many games - 1 or 2 - we have no idea. I hope it's 0. Let's see which True Frosh LB steps up next to Shaq. What's done is f'in done and now we move on. Grace was my favorite player on the team. He's gone. We can still win football games. But, to hear opinions downplaying his loss seems off to me.

I've seen the Grace vs Cook battle. Since you brought up single scenarios in a game. He wasn't flexible or experienced enough to stop the go ahead touchdown last year. I'm not even blaming him. There could clearly be factors beyond his control that kept him from making the play. He dove and missed. You said the number isn't quantifiable and that was my point. Not that we're not worse off just that it can't be measured in games won or lost. Grace is gone but if Brad Kaaya and the offense is much better, do we come out ahead? Who knows?

Different defense (on your heels). Different situations and attributes needed. We don't have another LB who can do what Grace could have done in Diaz's defense. We'll try different things, I presume, but my point is...his loss changes things.

Advertisement
People need to temper their expectations

This team isn't very good on paper....no exp on D and an average o line

9-3 is best case dream scenario....more likely 7-5

My expectations were tempered before they released these players, but now my expectations have gone up. 10 wins or bust.

The cavalier way in which UM threw these young men away must mean they are expendable and Miami feels very confident they can perform to expectations without the help of those two athletes.

So let's see that 10 win season and that first coastal title we were all talking about a week ago.

My expectations were tempered before they released these players, but now my expectations have gone up. 10 wins or bust.

The cavalier way in which UM threw these young men away must mean they are expendable and Miami feels very confident they can perform to expectations without the help of those two athletes.

So let's see that 10 win season and that first coastal title we were all talking about a week ago.

This is Waterfall, Cold Beer type of logic. Oh, I knew there were more of you.

You know, it's funny how quickly Miami turns on its own fans when it's trying to control the messaging. This admin just hates being criticized.

But you lay in the bed you make, it's just that simple. Fans like me are doing Miami a huge service. We need to be a voice and put pressure on the admins to say we want a championship football program...because the instincts of this admin are to cater to the wine and cheese crowd and to try to turn Miami Football in to Notre Dame / Stanford with its clean-cut image juggling with a profitable football team that promises a lot every year but delivers nothjng

The problem is, Notre Dame and Stanford don't win anything....and this school will never be those schools.

Somebody needs to stand up for the U being the U.

Advertisement
GT,fsu,Unc,ND,pitt. Cook, Hood and Conor might have 200 plus on us.

u realize richt never loses to gt, I think his record against gt is like 13-2 or 12-3, something like that, this team lost grace which hurts in coverage not run d, and muhammed which may hurt pass rush but trent harris is a better run defender,

the run defense shouldn't be hurt by the losses

You know, it's funny how quickly Miami turns on its own fans when it's trying to control the messaging. This admin just hates being criticized.

But you lay in the bed you make, it's just that simple. Fans like me are doing Miami a huge service. We need to be a voice and put pressure on the admins to say we want a championship football program...because the instincts of this admin are to cater to the wine and cheese crowd and to try to turn Miami Football in to Notre Dame / Stanford with its clean-cut image juggling with a profitable football team that promises a lot every year but delivers nothjng

The problem is, Notre Dame and Stanford don't win anything....and this school will never be those schools.

u realize we have a completely different staff then last year right? this administration had to cut these kids or risk more sanctions. some people are just idiots,

we have a staff used to winning a hc who avg almost 10 wins a year at Georgia, a dl coach considered the best in the business, the hc is calling plays again and when he did that Georgia and fsu had top notch offenses,

I think this staff expects more then u do. they may n ot get 10 wins but it won't be because of coaching but because golden just had to many golden specials as recruits and not enough Miami talent. to actually win at levels u expect, this coach has shown when has the talent he can win 10 or more games a year.

It's actually KevinCaneface logic where you can create excuses ahead of time for in case Richt goes 6-6.

I'm wondering if that's half the reason people are continuously moving their season predictions downward.

Advertisement

I'm just curious, do you read what you type? The administration hates having to justify their actions to a bunch of sidewalk alumni and bandwagon fans who wouldn't know the NCAA bylaws if you sat down and read them out loud. That wine and cheese crowd you complain about are the ones writing checks, those are the people who are keeping this program alive with the help of the former letterwinners. The people who went and bought their apparel at Wal-Mart in 87, and haven't bought a season ticket package since Bill Clinton took office aren't doing much but making asses of themselves online. You really think that Miami, a school on probation, a school that had to threaten to sue the association(in order to force them to abide by the own rules) would look the other way as kids knowingly broke rules? Does that make sense? I don't give a **** what Alabama, Auburn, etc. do, Miami has to do the best thing FOR MIAMI. In other words, you break the rules here, AND LIE, you may end up not playing. A lot of schools would have said "You broke the rules, we can't play you because of it,so therefore your scholarship is revoked" . Miami didn't do that, they allowed these selfish knuckleheads to finish their degrees, with the school footing the bill. If you want a SEC program to cheer for, go to Fanatics.com, and get some LSU or Alabama gear, if you haven't already. The University of Miami can't manage their program that way, and expect to survive for long. Remember SMU? Remember UNLV basketball? Remember USC Football under Pete Carroll? How did those eras turn out? It isn't worth crippling the program for the next decade, just to keep an underachieving defensive end, and a good, but not elite linebacker on the field.

Last edited:
7-5 is the reality, with a minor bowl game that UM might lose. The Richt Era will be built on his players instead of the leftovers from the previous staff. Quan and Grace were valued recruits, but not the stuff that Richt intends for this team. It will take several years for UM to regain prominence under Richt. Our hopes for a quick turnaround were fanciful.

Advertisement
GT,fsu,Unc,ND,pitt. Cook, Hood and Conor might have 200 plus on us.

I honesty think that the above is extremely reactionary and somewhat overblown. Now let me be clear. Losing Grace and AQM hurts point blank period. The question here is to what degree this will hurt us. I may be in the minority but I believe the loss of AQM can and will be greatly mitigated by the fact that there is excellent depth and talent at the DE position. Gerald Willis who was being groomed to be a swing player on the DL playing both DE and DT will now most likely focus on DE. A DE rotation which consists of Chad Thomas, Gerald Willis, Trent Harris, Dimitrius Jackson, and freshman Joe Jackson Patrick Bethel is still what I would consider deep and talented in addition to being coached by arguably the best DL coach in the country in Craig Kuligowski.

The LB corps however loses their senior leader in Jermaine Grace who was being counted on to play Sam which is the "glory position" in Diaz's defense if I remember correctly. You can never have too many players at a given position but in terms of the LB unit I would say that you need to have at least 5 that you can count on to play at a high level. While it is painfully obvious that we are lacking depth here, I believe we may still be able to carry a good 2 deep at LB. The glaring issues here is a frightening lack of experience with the district possibility that we could have 3 true freshman starters in Mike Pinckney, Shaquille Quarterman and Zach McCloud. The second team would most likely consist of Jamie Gordinier, Mike Smith and Darrion Owens with Terry McCray and Charles Perry battling for playing time.

The situation at LB sans Grace basically breaks down to two things. The play of the true freshman and the health of Owens. If Owens can be 100% relationship soon it would be huge. Owens has both the talent and the experience necessary to stabilize this unit. In terms of the freshman trio of LB's or the Fab 3 or The Bermuda Triangle 2.0 we all realize that this is not your typical group of 1st year LBs. They are insanely talented, hungry and have thus far shown the type of poise, work ethic, maturity and leadership skills traditionally expect of upperclassmen. Shaquille Quarterman is the unquestioned leader of these newcomers and has the mental and physical makeup to become the leader of the entire defense much sooner than later. There is no way to get around the fact that this unit is young and inexperienced but there is still a great foundation of elite talent who will improve every game. If we can stay away from major injuries and multiple games missed and Owens gets healthy, we could miraculously have have a good group here and we will reap the rewards in full the following year. As it is I believe we can expect to see a young aggressive group that will get much better as the season goes on.

And in case you're wondering, I'm in no way attempting to be Mr. Positive Pollyanna Pie In The Sky Super Fan. I have no desire to be in denial and I know exactly what the defense has just lost in AQM and Grace. I am genuinely optimistic about the DL, LB and this defense in general despite this unfortunate situation. My expectations for this defense remain relatively unchanged believe it or not.

Advertisement
Back