5 teams that could join the ACC if ND joins for FB

I've always heard it was to get the NYC cable companies to carry the BTN. Needed a "local" influence. So many Michigan bars in NYC, it's unreal.
The Big 10 commissioner said Rutgers/MD was in response to the ACC grabbing Syracuse and Pitt (protection for PSU).

Advertisement
My thoughts:
Cincy: best bet. ACC logo in Ohio, rival for northern teams.
WVU: Rival for UVA & VT.
Memphis: ACC in TENN. Good team.
UCONN & Temple: nah.
WVU vs VT definitely but WVU will never be a rivalry for UVA. You know this. UVA hates VT in state and and their basketball rivalries with UNC and Duke carry over and I think part of it with them is academics.

Yeah, too many people misunderstand this whole situation when it comes to expansion. Bunch of idiots arguing over which midget is the toughest between UCF, USF, Cincy, and Memphis (and it's not going to be WVU due to the Big 12 media rights signover, WVU would lose WAY too much money trying to jump out of the Big 12).

Notre Dame brings you the Chicago media market. #3 market. Done deal.

Tampa-St. Pete is the #12 media market. 1.8 million homes.

Orlando-Daytona is the #18 media market. 1.5 million homes.

Cincy is the #37 media market. 825K homes.

Memphis is the #51 media market. 580K homes.

Game over. It will only be Orlando or Tampa. UM and F$U are only 2 votes and won't be able to block that momentum.

UCF has the bigger student body and the better team sports right now, plus no competition from an NFL team. Also, from 2010 to 2019, Orlando grew at a 22.2% rate while Tampa grew by 14.8%. Those factors might give UCF the edge over USF.

Just goes to show how STUPID the Big 12 was to NOT take UCF and USF.
Love when people deal in facts and not emotions or make decisions just to keep a team down. Like saying the Big 3 wouldn't want the recruiting competition.

WVU vs VT definitely but WVU will never be a rivalry for UVA. You know this. UVA hates VT in state and and their basketball rivalries with UNC and Duke carry over and I think part of it with them is academics.
I was thinking more in terms of geographically. Also WVU had the backyard brawl with Pitt, and a small rivalry with L'Ville.

I actually don't like the idea of Notre Lame joining the ACC, but of course because they're already a member for Basketball it makes the most logical sense.

So if we they wanted to add another school to pair with them, I'd take Memphis or USF.

I'd take UCF too, but most of our fans have a big issue with UCF which is weird to me because they're not a threat to us at all & they wouldn't become a recruiting Dynamo if they joined a power 5. They would most likely immediately drop down to the bottom of the conference & at best would be a middle of the pack team.

I actually would be trying to figure out a way to get the **** out of the ACC if I was the AD, this conference has been nothing but bad luck for us. I'd go to Big XII with another school to finally give them 12 teams.
UCF may make sense from a competitive perspective, but there are several reasons why they wouldn't be selected.

First of all, the market. Let's face it. It's about the money. UCF is in a large market of 2.5 million people. How many fans would UCF bring in that are not already watching ACC football with Florida State and Miami? Not enough in my opinion.

Secondly, FSU and UM would never go for UCF or USF joining the ACC. The reason is competition for recruits. They may not be on the same playing field now, but give little brother an even playing field and in time they will get a bunch of the good players. They have good academics, a nice campus, and a metropolitan area to live in. The only thing they're missing is the weight of being in a P5 conference. If UCF or USF were put on the table to join the ACC, Miami and FSU may throw their weight around by threatening to leave.

Memphis, Cincinnati, and West Virginia are NOT the biggest markets. Memphis metro is 1.5 million, Cincinnati metro 2 million, and West Virginia 1.8 million.

Although they may be viewed as one of the weakest choices, Temple makes the most sense and here's why.

First of all, they are in the largest market of all other potential schools combined!!! Philadelphia Metro is 6 million people. Yes. 6 million. You also have New Jersey and New York City which are 1 hour or less from Philadelphia. That adds another 17.5 million people for a total of 23.5 million viewers. More than the entire state of Florida in a 1 hour driving radius!!! It's the biggest footprint of any ACC school. This is why Rutgers is in the Big 10.

Secondly, Temple has a national brand in basketball. Perhaps not as big as Memphis or Cincinnati, but the regional market is huge as I described above. They are very competitive and make the NCAA tourney just about every year so they add strength and market to ACC basketball.

Lastly, Temple gives the conference a firmer footing for recruiting the northeast where no one is poaching recruits from an existing conference member.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah, too many people misunderstand this whole situation when it comes to expansion. Bunch of idiots arguing over which midget is the toughest between UCF, USF, Cincy, and Memphis (and it's not going to be WVU due to the Big 12 media rights signover, WVU would lose WAY too much money trying to jump out of the Big 12).

Notre Dame brings you the Chicago media market. #3 market. Done deal.

Tampa-St. Pete is the #12 media market. 1.8 million homes.

Orlando-Daytona is the #18 media market. 1.5 million homes.

Cincy is the #37 media market. 825K homes.

Memphis is the #51 media market. 580K homes.

Game over. It will only be Orlando or Tampa. UM and F$U are only 2 votes and won't be able to block that momentum.

UCF has the bigger student body and the better team sports right now, plus no competition from an NFL team. Also, from 2010 to 2019, Orlando grew at a 22.2% rate while Tampa grew by 14.8%. Those factors might give UCF the edge over USF.

Just goes to show how STUPID the Big 12 was to NOT take UCF and USF.
Although FSU and Miami only have one vote each, they could both threaten to leave the conference if either UCF or USF are ever even proposed to join the ACC. They could join the Big 12. I'm sure they'd be happy to have both teams to give them a legit 12 team conference.

You also left out Temple. They are in the largest media market of all the other potential schools combined!!! Philadelphia is the #4 media market and New York is #1. You have Philadelphia, New Jersey, and New York City all within a 1 hour driving radius. That combines for a 23.5 million footprint. Larger than the entire state of Florida all within a 1.5 hour driving distance. It expands the ACC into the #1 and #4 media markets.

So, Notre Dame and Temple make the most financial sense. That gives the ACC access to the #1, #3, and #4 media markets. Also, Temple is very good in basketball which is the 2nd largest revenue producer behind football.

Last edited:
Plus, Cincy has a historically good basketball program, which fits in perfectly with the ACC.
Temple blows away Cincinnati. Temple is in the #4 media market and #1 if you add NJ and NYC. 23.5 million people (Phila, NJ, and NYC) in a 1.5 hour driving radius. That's larger than all other potential schools combined.

Last edited:
I too would definitely want PSU to join with ND. I’m assuming PSU isn’t realistic. After PSU, I would want WVU. I think they are getable as I feel pretty confident that they would leave the Big XII for the ACC. Much better location for them travel wise. They would have their rivalry with Pitt restores. VT and WVU have a good one too. Also gives them playing their old Big East foes.

Cincinnati makes way too much sense. Especially with OSU being the only P5 in Ohio.
I'm with you on this. Memphis a close second. I don't see how the ACC gains any more exposure with UCF or USF. With UM and FSU those markets are already covered. You may get some extra sets tuning in, but not a whole new market.

Advertisement
You’re looking at this situation on paper and completely ignoring the reality of the situation. Schools like UCF/USF are not even on par with a program such as BYU when we’re talking about the value they’d bring to a conference. Can’t just simply say well orlando is a bigger market than Provo so that means UCF brings more viewers..program tradition/brand relevancy can not be ignored in all of this which is why West Virginia is awkwardly sitting in the big 12 right now and UCF, USF, Houston, Rice, SMU, Temple, UCONN, San Diego St etc are sitting in G5 conferences. Not that any of this matters but maybe you’ll make a more realistic conference expansion on your next ncaa 14 dynasty 😂

Keep smoking that wack crack.

BYU has already been considered for Power Five membership and the limitations on scheduling are too problematic for P5 and big network scheduling. But you're Mr. Know-It-All, picking older teams in smaller markets with fewer students and fans.

You're not even worth further discussion, as you yap about ******* UConn, which was tossed out of its conference. And West Virginia. What a joke. Yeah, everyone is lining up to make offers to West By ****e Virginia. The Big 12 only took Wet ****** to avoid being decertified as a conference.

Now run away and tell all your friends how Cincinnati or Memphis will get ACC bids because their sports programs are soooo much better than any other G5 schools. Hilarious.

I'm with you on this. Memphis a close second. I don't see how the ACC gains any more exposure with UCF or USF. With UM and FSU those markets are already covered. You may get some extra sets tuning in, but not a whole new market.

You don't understand how markets are "covered". Orlando and Tampa are not filled with Miami and F$U fans who demand ACC games get carried on the local networks. UCF and USF games take priority.

Bunch of soft-shouldered pvssy fans if they are scurred of UCF and USF diluting UM if we allow them into the ACC. Four ACC teams in North Carolina doesn't dilute brand or recruiting or interest, but people are afraid of 4 ACC teams in a much larger state like Florida?

I've never seen more misguided fear.

Yeah, but we should "elevate" Memphis and Cincinnati instead. Zero self-awareness and honesty. Any school that joins the ACC from Group of Five gets a benefit, and we got Miami fans who are afraid of Florida directional schools.

It’s so easy to dismiss UConn because of football… They’re not very good. But, what everyone’s forgetting… is the New York market. THE MARKET.

UCONN has 3 “home floors” in basketball: Storrs, Hartford (XL) and Madison Square Garden. NYC market.

UCONN was the only non-football Big East school that really tried to build a football program from scratch and has a 40,000 seat stadium. Same size as Cincy, bigger than Wake. If ever there was a school that was owed for “unfulfilled” promises by conference football, it would be UConn. And the reason the Big East failed? Independent Indiana Team. And now the ACC is working hard to accommodate that Indiana school instead of twisting the screws? **** the ACC!

The ACC is a **** conference and if it ever becomes possible for Miami to leave, that would be my choice.

UConn sued Miami, BC, and the ACC.

You really think that anyone that matters will ever forget that?

fvck them and their football stadium that is over an hour away from there campus.

Advertisement
I actually don't like the idea of Notre Lame joining the ACC, but of course because they're already a member for Basketball it makes the most logical sense.

So if we they wanted to add another school to pair with them, I'd take Memphis or USF.

I'd take UCF too, but most of our fans have a big issue with UCF which is weird to me because they're not a threat to us at all & they wouldn't become a recruiting Dynamo if they joined a power 5. They would most likely immediately drop down to the bottom of the conference & at best would be a middle of the pack team.

I actually would be trying to figure out a way to get the **** out of the ACC if I was the AD, this conference has been nothing but bad luck for us. I'd go to Big XII with another school to finally give them 12 teams.
I would like for us to pull a few teams and make the AAC a better conference than the ACC.
Much better cities/markets, get out of this Carolina Cabal and play FSU, UCF & USF every season.

I think UCF makes the most sense for ACC, big market and they already schedule teams like pitt, UNC, ga tech. USF program is dead FAU a better program. USF facilities trash. As much as i hate ACC i dont think we fit culture of Big 12. More sec than big 12.

I don't think you understand that academic rankings from US News have very little to do with academics.

EXAMPLE: Florida State and Miami are tied. That alone is so absurdly laughable it invalidates any notion of those "rankings" having any remote semblance of legitimacy.

I agree they are a joke. But they aren’t off exponentially. Degrees of incorrectness? And regardless of what the US News says (its honestly just the lowest hanging fruit to use as an illustration) anyone in higher education knows that both those schools are a joke. So you’re not going to have anyone trying to say differently if they come up for review.

Advertisement
IF ND were to go all in the ACC permanently, the 16th team would be their choice (ND would not simply join without getting something out of the deal) and it would be Navy. The big thing at ND is having a "national" schedule". Having Navy in as a conference rival would allow ND to have 3 OOC games with USC, Stanford, and the Big10/Big12 team of their choice.

I've always heard it was to get the NYC cable companies to carry the BTN. Needed a "local" influence. So many Michigan bars in NYC, it's unreal.

On the college football front I think it's absolutely leans toward being a Big Ten town. There are a **** ton of Pedo State bars too.

These are the US News rankings for ACC schools:

• Duke #10
• Notre Dame #15
• Wake Forest #27
• Virginia #28
• Georgia Tech #29
• North Carolina #29
• Boston College #37
• Syracuse #54
• Miami #57
• Florida State #57
• Pittsburgh #57
• Clemson #70
• Virginia Tech #74
• North Carolina State #84
• Louisville #192

The US News rankings for the 5 schools:

• UConn #64
• Temple #104
• Cincinnati #139
• West Virginia # 228
• Memphis # 272

I see one school out of the 5 that has won national championships in the 2 major sports. Obviously, I'm talking about UConn. Men's basketball won 4 national championships in 15 years. The football program reached the Fiesta Bowl in 2011 and played against Oklahoma. And they're already in the NY market with SNY.

1. Best academic ranking by 40 spots
2. Best basketball program by 4 national championships
3. The NY TV market

IF ND were to go all in the ACC permanently, the 16th team would be their choice (ND would not simply join without getting something out of the deal) and it would be Navy. The big thing at ND is having a "national" schedule". Having Navy in as a conference rival would allow ND to have 3 OOC games with USC, Stanford, and the Big10/Big12 team of their choice.
As left field as that sounds, it’s better IMO than a few of the other options I’ve seen floated. They bring some interesting things to the table. I wonder what kind of TV value Navy has, if you think out of the box, as a service academy in a MAJOR conference? It would certainly be a stab in the eye to Maryland, which I’m sure would make a lot of people happy. And it’s the 16th team. It’s not going to change our football perception.

Advertisement
Back