5 teams that could join the ACC if ND joins for FB

Caneswarning mobile site can suck my taint. 42 pop-ups with sound and a slideshow format? FOH.

That said, I personally would enjoy the occasional roadtrip to Morgantown but have a hard time seeing the ACC welcoming that school/state on a cultural and academic level.

The USF/Memphis/UCF options aren't all extremely appealing either.

Maybe take your "win" with the addition of Notre Dame and make a p-r move and see if Navy would like/be allowed to join?

Advertisement
Plus, Cincy has a historically good basketball program, which fits in perfectly with the ACC.
yeah I think basketball is what puts Cincinnati over the top, we know how important it is to the ACC. One more powerhouse just makes the conference that much more dominant in b-ball. For the other options: UCFs b-ball program is too much of a joke for the ACC, Memphis’ academics are not close to what the ACC looks for.

It’s so easy to dismiss UConn because of football… They’re not very good. But, what everyone’s forgetting… is the New York market. THE MARKET.

UCONN has 3 “home floors” in basketball: Storrs, Hartford (XL) and Madison Square Garden. NYC market.

UCONN was the only non-football Big East school that really tried to build a football program from scratch and has a 40,000 seat stadium. Same size as Cincy, bigger than Wake. If ever there was a school that was owed for “unfulfilled” promises by conference football, it would be UConn. And the reason the Big East failed? Independent Indiana Team. And now the ACC is working hard to accommodate that Indiana school instead of twisting the screws? **** the ACC!

The ACC is a **** conference and if it ever becomes possible for Miami to leave, that would be my choice.

Yeah, too many people misunderstand this whole situation when it comes to expansion. Bunch of idiots arguing over which midget is the toughest between UCF, USF, Cincy, and Memphis (and it's not going to be WVU due to the Big 12 media rights signover, WVU would lose WAY too much money trying to jump out of the Big 12).

Notre Dame brings you the Chicago media market. #3 market. Done deal.

Tampa-St. Pete is the #12 media market. 1.8 million homes.

Orlando-Daytona is the #18 media market. 1.5 million homes.

Cincy is the #37 media market. 825K homes.

Memphis is the #51 media market. 580K homes.

Game over. It will only be Orlando or Tampa. UM and F$U are only 2 votes and won't be able to block that momentum.

UCF has the bigger student body and the better team sports right now, plus no competition from an NFL team. Also, from 2010 to 2019, Orlando grew at a 22.2% rate while Tampa grew by 14.8%. Those factors might give UCF the edge over USF.

Just goes to show how STUPID the Big 12 was to NOT take UCF and USF.
UCF and USF don’t actually deliver those markets..

Advertisement
It’s so easy to dismiss UConn because of football… They’re not very good. But, what everyone’s forgetting… is the New York market. THE MARKET.

UCONN has 3 “home floors” in basketball: Storrs, Hartford (XL) and Madison Square Garden. NYC market.

UCONN was the only non-football Big East school that really tried to build a football program from scratch and has a 40,000 seat stadium. Same size as Cincy, bigger than Wake. If ever there was a school that was owed for “unfulfilled” promises by conference football, it would be UConn. And the reason the Big East failed? Independent Indiana Team. And now the ACC is working hard to accommodate that Indiana school instead of twisting the screws? **** the ACC!

The ACC is a **** conference and if it ever becomes possible for Miami to leave, that would be my choice.

Sometimes the "market" argument is realllly overrated though- especially in anything NYC related. Ya think Rutgers and Maryland have really brought massive tv windfalls to the Big Ten?

Said it before and I'll say it again- Baylor. The other schools mentioned aren't anywhere close to what the ACC wants in academics. UCF is not a good academic school. If it just about market share, University of Houston is a no-brainer. The real prize (in terms of marketing and money) to pair up with ND would be Penn State. They almost left for the ACC in the last realignment. I could see the ACC making another run at them.

I guess there's a rivalry, maybe, with Syracuse. Other than that, no one cares one iota about Uconn.

Sometimes the "market" argument is realllly overrated though- especially in anything NYC related. Ya think Rutgers and Maryland have really brought massive tv windfalls to the Big Ten?
The B1G hoped Rutgers could…but that was a pipe dream. UCONN has several National Championships in Men’s and Women’s basketball. Does Rutgers have a national championship in anything? Maryland has nothing to do with NYC…but to your point…they haven’t delivered the DC market, imo, but … in the conference of Michigan and Ohio State…no one else much matters (B1G doesn’t need PSU - even though their alumni network is extensive)

But, UConn is a “better” athletic school than BC (BC football … not much better than UCONN, right now - hyperbole; they’re Syracuse with even better basketball.)

But, back to your initial point. Being able to play the conference championship in MSG is every conferences dream. The ACC has been fighting to get the ACC into MSG for the last decade. Yes, the Tobacco Road ***** want to be in NYC! Does UConn deliver that market? Not yet, and not for football, but for basketball, there’s probably not a better tandem program.

Advertisement
You might be right, but I feel the same about Cincy and Memphis. UCF, which seems to be DOA with Miami and FSU, is the best choice. But, after UCF…I choose UCONN.
No argument on Cincy and Memphis. Ciny was in the old Metro Conference for basketball with VT and F$U but that extremely tenuous connection is the best I can do. Memphis is a total island.

West Va would be my choice even though they are 13th grade. I ******* hated the Mountainqueers back in the 90s.

No argument on Cincy and Memphis. Ciny was in the old Metro Conference for basketball with VT and F$U but that extremely tenuous connection is the best I can do. Memphis is a total island.

West Va would be my choice even though they are 13th grade. I ******* hated the Mountainqueers back in the 90s.
I would prefer PSU to the Independent Indiana Team. “White out” and the Hurricanes! Count me in.

Advertisement
UCF and USF don’t actually deliver those markets..

Yes, they actually do.

That's what happens when you have over 50,000 undergrads.

Besides, your comment is ignorant of what actually happens with TV contracts. Once you have an Orlando or Tampa based team, that TV market will get multiple ACC games OVER a bunch of other games, including any SEC games (with the exception, possibly, of the Gaytors).

After a couple of years in the ACC, the only thing that would ever take precedence (or compete for ratings) in the Orlando or Tampa TV markets would be the Gaytors. Everything else would fall behind ACC games.

I'll think on this.
The White Out is a tradition at the Pennsylvania State University during select Nittany Lions home football games, where all spectators come dressed in white. It has been described as "the best atmosphere in college football."[1] It is also among the most expensive regular season games of college football, with ticket prices ranging upwards of $250. All White Out games are showcased with an advanced fireworks display lining the east and west (long ends) of Beaver Stadium. During these games, Zombie Nation's Kernkraft 400 replaces Fight On, State as the fight song after Penn State scores.

This is the environment Miami football was made for. Plus, **** the Independent Indiana Team.

Advertisement

But that's more a factor of the sport itself. NYC is not a big NASCAR market. NYC is not a big college football market.

But football, and college football, are HUGE in Florida, and in all Florida media markets.

Yes, they actually do.

That's what happens when you have over 50,000 undergrads.

Besides, your comment is ignorant of what actually happens with TV contracts. Once you have an Orlando or Tampa based team, that TV market will get multiple ACC games OVER a bunch of other games, including any SEC games (with the exception, possibly, of the Gaytors).

After a couple of years in the ACC, the only thing that would ever take precedence (or compete for ratings) in the Orlando or Tampa TV markets would be the Gaytors. Everything else would fall behind ACC games.
This is very true for UCF. Not as sure this would happen with USF as I've never detected any serious following there. When we played there years ago, there was far more UM color than USF in that stadium.

Said it before and I'll say it again- Baylor. The other schools mentioned aren't anywhere close to what the ACC wants in academics. UCF is not a good academic school. If it just about market share, University of Houston is a no-brainer. The real prize (in terms of marketing and money) to pair up with ND would be Penn State. They almost left for the ACC in the last realignment. I could see the ACC making another run at them.

And since the last round of expansion, the SEC, Big 10, and Big 12 have made it nearly impossible (financially) to leave those conferences. It's a non-starter.

This is very true for UCF. Not as sure this would happen with USF as I've never detected any serious following there. When we played there years ago, there was far more UM color than USF in that stadium.

Yeah, I think the Bucs (and the fact they play in the same stadium) tends to blunt the enthusiasm a bit, while UCF doesn't have that issue.

But, hey, I want to compete with some of these porsters for dumbest Team #16 suggestion. I nominate Ohio State. I've heard they have a good football team, and they are probably sick of playing Michigan. We should really try to get Ohio State in the ACC.

Advertisement
Back