5 teams that could join the ACC if ND joins for FB

Advertisement
Yes, they actually do.

That's what happens when you have over 50,000 undergrads.

Besides, your comment is ignorant of what actually happens with TV contracts. Once you have an Orlando or Tampa based team, that TV market will get multiple ACC games OVER a bunch of other games, including any SEC games (with the exception, possibly, of the Gaytors).

After a couple of years in the ACC, the only thing that would ever take precedence (or compete for ratings) in the Orlando or Tampa TV markets would be the Gaytors. Everything else would fall behind ACC games.
👍🏼 Whatever u say, time will tell but I’m pretty sure the people that matter agree with me on this one otherwise these schools would currently be in big 12..

Memphis and West Virginia make the most sense to me.

I don't think you understand how horrific those two schools are academically. I know football isn't a Nobel Prize competition, but they are so bad I honestly think it might be a complete non-starter.

We are a conference that only has one school outside the top 100 (****** L'ville at #192). These schools are WAY below even that. I don't know if the presidents have any appetite for the #228 and #278 schools in US respectively.

• Duke University: 10 (tie)
  • University of Notre Dame: 15 (tie)
  • Wake Forest University: 27
  • University of Virginia: 28
  • Georgia Institute of Technology: 29 (tie)
  • University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill: 29 (tie)
  • Boston College: 37 (tie)
  • Syracuse University: 54 (tie)
  • Florida State University: 57 (tie)
  • University of Miami: 57 (tie)
  • University of Pittsburgh: 57 (tie)
  • Clemson University: 70 (tie)
  • Virginia Tech: 74 (tie)
  • North Carolina State University—Raleigh: 84 (tie)
  • University of Louisville: 192 (tie)

I don't think you understand how horrific those two schools are academically. I know football isn't a Nobel Prize competition, but they are so bad I honestly think it might be a complete non-starter.

We are a conference that only has one school outside the top 100 (****** L'ville at #192). These schools are WAY below even that. I don't know if the presidents have any appetite for the #228 and #278 schools in US respectively.

I don't think you understand that academic rankings from US News have very little to do with academics.

EXAMPLE: Florida State and Miami are tied. That alone is so absurdly laughable it invalidates any notion of those "rankings" having any remote semblance of legitimacy.

Advertisement
Notre Dame and West V are the only teams worth expanding for if not leave it as is. If we are expanding we shouldn't promote a G5 team, we should get another P5 team.

I'd be okay with Cincy or WVU joining if the Lamers make the jump.

Baylor is 80th. Not great but not embarrassingly bad. Acc is not going to take a school with bad academics if it can help it. I think they regret taking Louisville which has been nothing but an utter embarrassment. Cincinnati has terrible academics. As I said before, if it's a pure money grab, Houston is the best choice. Its an ENORMOUS market and the ACC would love a foothold in Texas. But UH also has terrible academics. Unfortunately Rice doesn't have much of a football program.

Advertisement
I don't think you understand that academic rankings from US News have very little to do with academics.

EXAMPLE: Florida State and Miami are tied. That alone is so absurdly laughable it invalidates any notion of those "rankings" having any remote semblance of legitimacy.

Its not just US News. No one would ever mistake West Virginia University as even remotely close to a good school.

👍🏼 Whatever u say, time will tell but I’m pretty sure the people that matter agree with me on this one otherwise these schools would currently be in big 12..

Agree with you how? Yeah, that's why they took Cincinnati and Memphis. You know less than zero on this issue.

Big 12 leadership is short-sighted, greedy, and stupid. Because Fox was so desperate to keep content, they let the Big 12 keep the same money for fewer teams/games. That won't happen a second time. If you get more money for fewer teams, it becomes mathematically impossible for UCF and USF to "increase the pie", and that whole membership presentation was a farce. UCF and USF weren't rejected for "not delivering their TV markets", that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And the Big 12 is a joke.

Said it before and I'll say it again- Baylor. The other schools mentioned aren't anywhere close to what the ACC wants in academics. UCF is not a good academic school. If it just about market share, University of Houston is a no-brainer. The real prize (in terms of marketing and money) to pair up with ND would be Penn State. They almost left for the ACC in the last realignment. I could see the ACC making another run at them.

Would love PSU to be apart of The ACC simply to have the ability to beat the chit outta them every season for ‘86.

Also, that would be a good look for the ACC football conference regarding quality.

Would love PSU to be apart of The ACC simply to have the ability to beat the chit outta them every season for ‘86.

Also, that would be a good look for the ACC football conference regarding quality.

Leaving the ACC costs 70 million. Leaving Big 10 is free, but they granted media rights til 2027 (same as ACC). 2027 is going to be nuts especially with the death of TV. It would be lucrative to get PSU and Notre Dame.

Advertisement
Agree with you how? Yeah, that's why they took Cincinnati and Memphis. You know less than zero on this issue.

Big 12 leadership is short-sighted, greedy, and stupid. Because Fox was so desperate to keep content, they let the Big 12 keep the same money for fewer teams/games. That won't happen a second time. If you get more money for fewer teams, it becomes mathematically impossible for UCF and USF to "increase the pie", and that whole membership presentation was a farce. UCF and USF weren't rejected for "not delivering their TV markets", that's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And the Big 12 is a joke.
You’re looking at this situation on paper and completely ignoring the reality of the situation. Schools like UCF/USF are not even on par with a program such as BYU when we’re talking about the value they’d bring to a conference. Can’t just simply say well orlando is a bigger market than Provo so that means UCF brings more viewers..program tradition/brand relevancy can not be ignored in all of this which is why West Virginia is awkwardly sitting in the big 12 right now and UCF, USF, Houston, Rice, SMU, Temple, UCONN, San Diego St etc are sitting in G5 conferences. Not that any of this matters but maybe you’ll make a more realistic conference expansion on your next ncaa 14 dynasty 😂

Got to try and work out a deal for Penn State to join the conference. Every other school lessens the ACC brand, with the exceprion of WVU. With a new ACC comish coming on Blake gotta make it happen.

Advertisement

Do it big or don't do it at all. However, I think it's way over "Blake the *****'s" head to put together any kind of deal with the ACC.

Got to try and work out a deal for Penn State to join the conference. Every other school lessens the ACC brand, with the exceprion of WVU. With a new ACC comish coming on Blake gotta make it happen.
If the ACC was more aggressive about improving the brand they’d also consider dropping Wake Forest, they literally bring nothing to the table and having 4 schools in NC is overkill, you could make a case for dropping NCST as well. I’d love to see West Virginia added but the ACC and their academic prestige bs...

They tried that once before... didn't go so well.
Not sure what you mean by “tried that before…didn’t go so well.” Explain please, if you care to.

I cant see a scenario where PSU ever leaves the B1G to join the ACC (people forget they were the first school the Big 10 grabbed), or the team in Indiana joins a conference. I don’t see it. But, if either of those two were to happen, my personal preference would be PSU.

But, If we want to play “City on the Edge of Forever” (Star Trek reference) then the Miami Hurricanes are the random element in football time. All of this conference expansion can be attributed to one game in the past. The game where Cleveland Gary was ruled to have fumbled.
- That team would go on to “win” the National Championship.
- That National Championship became justification for that team to become a permanent “independent“ with their own TV deal.

That TV deal should have been Miami’s; Miami had become a true “national” team with blue blood scalps (and the reason why I won’t watch NBC College football unless Miami is playing).

- That TV deal would have allowed Miami to buy the Orange bowl - and refurbish it by now.
- That TV deal allows Miami to maybe keep Jimmie Johnson.
- That deal maybe bankrupts Jerry Jones.

The entire universe has been screwed ever since that day and we’re living in the wrong timeline.

Sometimes the "market" argument is realllly overrated though- especially in anything NYC related. Ya think Rutgers and Maryland have really brought massive tv windfalls to the Big Ten?
I've always heard it was to get the NYC cable companies to carry the BTN. Needed a "local" influence. So many Michigan bars in NYC, it's unreal.

Advertisement
Back