5 teams that could join the ACC if ND joins for FB

It's funny, the article mentions Cincy as the least likely to join, but they would actually be at the top of those 5 for me. You have to look at who would bring the most to the conference long term and I think it would be Cincy. They are in a H.S. football rich state, which would put us there every few years for recruiting purposes, and they are usually solid in basketball, plus it's a cool city to visit, the best in OH.

I have no vote and my opinion means nothing, but I think it should be the Bearcats. Second should be WV because they actually do have a football tradition, etc. The rest are meh to me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just get ND in the conference. That alone changes the dynamics of the ACC. The other school is a plus to me. Either way, I doubt it happens with ND and any other major program.

Being in the ACC sucks for Miami. No other way around it.

If the ACC was more aggressive about improving the brand they’d also consider dropping Wake Forest, they literally bring nothing to the table and having 4 schools in NC is overkill, you could make a case for dropping NCST as well. I’d love to see West Virginia added but the ACC and their academic prestige bs...
Good luck with that.

Just get ND in the conference. That alone changes the dynamics of the ACC. The other school is a plus to me. Either way, I doubt it happens with ND and any other major program.

Being in the ACC sucks for Miami. No other way around it.

For the next round of expansion, there will be two primary drivers (ND and the Big 12) and one possible batch of beneficiaries (the American). Nobody is going to take any service academies. Nobody is going to take BYU unless they decide to be flexible with scheduling.

The ONLY way that any Big 12 teams leave the Big 12 is if the Big 12 dissolves. Which could happen.

The SEC would only be interested in Texas, OU, and OSU. They already kicked the tires on WVU last time.

Big 10 might be interested in the Kansas/Iowa schools.

If the ACC takes ND, it only needs one more team.

And as for the American teams (UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincy) over the past 7 years, UCF and CIncy are the best recruiters (across Rivals-247, they both average around #62 class rank), while USF and Memphis are each over #70.

For W-L records, UCF has the best record over the past 7 years, essentially averaging 9-4. Memphis is second-best, CIncy is third, and USF barely breaks .500 for 7 years. And, for the record, WVU would only edge USF on winning record over the past 7 years, even though they averaged #40 in recruiting over 7 years.

Advertisement
UConn sued Miami, BC, and the ACC.

You really think that anyone that matters will ever forget that?

fvck them and their football stadium that is over an hour away from there campus.

So did Va Tech (who was the most vocal) and all the other Big East football schools that weren't invited into the ACC.

Rentschler field is 25 miles from Storrs, a 30 minute drive on mostly interstate (I84). It's not much different from than Hard Rock from the Coral Gables campus (20 miles, 27 min via I95)

Although FSU and Miami only have one vote each, they could both threaten to leave the conference if either UCF or USF are ever even proposed to join the ACC. They could join the Big 12. I'm sure they'd be happy to have both teams to give them a legit 12 team conference.

You also left out Temple. They are in the largest media market of all the other potential schools combined!!! Philadelphia is the #4 media market and New York is #1. You have Philadelphia, New Jersey, and New York City all within a 1 hour driving radius. That combines for a 23.5 million footprint. Larger than the entire state of Florida all within a 1 hour driving distance. It expands the ACC into the #1 and #4 media markets.

So, Notre Dame and Temple make the most financial sense. That gives the ACC access to the #1, #3, and #4 media markets. Also, Temple is very good in basketball which is the 2nd largest revenue producer behind football.

Rutgers is 40 miles (50 minute drive) from Manhattan and they haven't gotten the NYC market for the B10. Neither will Temple (for the ACC) which is over twice the distance (95 miles as the crow files). No one up here give a hoot about Temple. Also, I just made the drive from Manhattan to Philly last week end and it's a two hour drive. Sure it's only 95 miles (as the crow flies), but it's the Big Apple, there's always traffic.

As far as football is concerned, NYC is a pro town unless you have an alumni following. Notre Dame and Penn State gets a large following as well as UM which has a large local alumni base in the area.

Rutgers is 40 miles (50 minute drive) from Manhattan and they haven't gotten the NYC market for the B10. Neither will Temple (for the ACC) which is over twice the distance (95 miles as the crow files). No one up here give a hoot about Temple. Also, I just made the drive from Manhattan to Philly last week end and it's a two hour drive. Sure it's only 95 miles (as the crow flies), but it's the Big Apple, there's always traffic.

As far as football is concerned, NYC is a pro town unless you have an alumni following. Notre Dame and Penn State gets a large following as well as UM which has a large local alumni base in the area.
Thanks for the geographic lesson. I can change it to under 2 hours if that makes you happy. I lived in NJ for 20 years and worked in NYC. The whole point is that Phili is relatively close to NYC. Temple doesn't need New Yorker's to go to their games. They just want them to watch on TV. Rutgers doesn't own any media market because they're terrible. New Yorker's watch Rutgers for the teams they play against. The same will happen for Temple against ACC teams.

Secondly, people don't watch only teams they follow. I'm sure you don't just watch the Canes and then turn off your tv.

Thirdly, the Phili market by itself is #4 in the nation with over 6 million people.

Lastly, your argument doesn't hold water. There aren't 16 million Penn State and Notre Dame alumnus living in NJ and NYC. Rutgers would have never been added to the Big 10 if the market wasn't viable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the geographic lesson.
You're welcome.
I can change it to under 2 hours if that makes you happy. I lived in NJ for 20 years and worked in NYC. The whole point is that Phili is relatively close to NYC. Temple doesn't need New Yorker's to go to their games. They just want them to watch on TV. Rutgers doesn't own any media market because they're terrible. New Yorker's watch Rutgers for the teams they play against. The same will happen for Temple against ACC teams.

Secondly, people don't watch only teams they follow. I'm sure you don't just watch the Canes and then turn off your tv.
Only college football junkies watch games that they don't have a rooting interest in. Since the IVY league dropped out of major college football 80 years ago, the NY area has not had a traditional major conference like the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, etc. to generate general viewing interest.
Adding Temple to the ACC won't do it.
Thirdly, the Phili market by itself is #4 in the nation with over 6 million people.
What does the size of the market matter if people don't watch. It about ratings. Philly is not in the middle of SEC-land.
Lastly, your argument doesn't hold water. There aren't 16 million Penn State and Notre Dame alumnus living in NJ and NYC. Rutgers would have never been added to the Big 10 if the market wasn't viable.
Of course there's not 16 million Penn St and ND alumni. But most that are there are watching football (if ND or PSU is on) as well as the large contingent of "subway alumni". The rest of the 16 million couldn't give a hoot about college football. NYC is a PRO town, they're not watching unless the Giants or Jets are playing.

Advertisement
So did Va Tech (who was the most vocal) and all the other Big East football schools that weren't invited into the ACC.

Rentschler field is 25 miles from Storrs, a 30 minute drive on mostly interstate (I84). It's not much different from than Hard Rock from the Coral Gables campus (20 miles, 27 min via I95)

VT joined the ACC the same day as Miami, so are you saying they sued the ACC after they joined?

not sure why you revising the facts but whatever floats your boat. UConn will never be invited to the ACC and I would bet my bottom dollar on that.

Thanks for the geographic lesson. I can change it to under 2 hours if that makes you happy. I lived in NJ for 20 years and worked in NYC. The whole point is that Phili is relatively close to NYC. Temple doesn't need New Yorker's to go to their games. They just want them to watch on TV. Rutgers doesn't own any media market because they're terrible. New Yorker's watch Rutgers for the teams they play against. The same will happen for Temple against ACC teams.

Look, you are absolutely right about the Philadelphia media market. But that is really, by far, Temple's best selling point. Everything else looks terrible in comparison. They haven't recruited well:

Rivals 2020 - 77th
Rivals 2019 - 99th
Rivals 2018 - 76th
Rivals 2017 - unranked (outside of Top 100)
Rivals 2016 - 59th
Rivals 2015 - 72nd
Rivals 2014 - 58th

In 7 years in the American, they've gone 51-40, so just a hair above 7-6 on average.

Temple got kicked out of the Big East once. They don't seem to have a commitment to spending money, though that COULD change with P5 membership (it never really changed in the BE, but they will argue that things will be different now).

Yeah, maybe Temple puts together a case, but I don't think they were a serious contender the last time the Big 12 considered expanding, so I don't really see that anything has changed that would make them a major candidate today.

Huge TV market though. Indifferent students and fans. Philly is not a huge COLLEGE football town.

VT joined the ACC the same day as Miami, so are you saying they sued the ACC after they joined?

not sure why you revising the facts but whatever floats your boat. UConn will never be invited to the ACC and I would bet my bottom dollar on that.
You're right. UCONN was never invited but neither was Va. Tech until the VA governor put pressure on the President of UVA to get Va. Tech admitted (they're both state schools).

To this day I remember the quote from the President of Va. Tech when they were belatedly invited, "We accept". This was after ****ing and moaning about being left behind. One of the conditions of the invitation was that they drop out of the law suit.

Here's a quote from the following article

"The ACC presidents voted to expand on May 13, and conference officials visited Miami, Boston College and Syracuse to assess their facilities. Virginia Tech came into the picture last week, as part of a compromise suggested by Virginia president John T. Casteen III.

Virginia Tech was one of five Big East football schools that filed a lawsuit June 6 to try to stop BC, Miami and Syracuse from leaving the conference. Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and West Virginia were the other parties to the suit."

http://www.espn.com/ncaa/news/2003/0624/1572498.html

In short, Va Tech and others filed a lawsuit to prevent schools (Miami and others) from leaving the Big East after the Big East commissioner leaked to the press that UM was listening to ACC overtures. It took intervention from the UVA president to include VA Tech in the official invitation.

As far as your bet, who cares if UConn ever gets an invitation. That's not and never was the point. You should be less reckless in betting your bottom dollar. Stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're welcome.

Only college football junkies watch games that they don't have a rooting interest in. Since the IVY league dropped out of major college football 80 years ago, the NY area has not had a traditional major conference like the Big 10, Pac 10, SEC, etc. to generate general viewing interest.
Adding Temple to the ACC won't do it.

What does the size of the market matter if people don't watch. It about ratings. Philly is not in the middle of SEC-land.

Of course there's not 16 million Penn St and ND alumni. But most that are there are watching football (if ND or PSU is on) as well as the large contingent of "subway alumni". The rest of the 16 million couldn't give a hoot about college football. NYC is a PRO town, they're not watching unless the Giants or Jets are playing.
And Rutgers does?

Advertisement
Did you even read it? It states NYC college football viewing is half the national average. It ranks 73rd out of 79 markets on a percentage basis. It states Rutgers is the only option to penetrate the NY market (in other words Temple won't work). Further, "Rutgers might bring a small pocket of central New Jersey, but college football is not a New York-area sport”.

Its primary advantage has been to expand the footprint of the BTN cable network. But, advertising rates are based actual viewers as measured by ratings not potential viewers in the market.

I guess you can't fix stupid.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back