4th Quarter Program

I do this for a living in the corporate space (also do talent development for K12) and the reality is it's not close to true. A leader can change the values of an organization in 45 seconds. Members can begin talking about the environment differently in about 45 seconds. But, "the culture" comes from actions, behaviors, and shared mindsets built over time. And, the reality is it often takes turnover and talent acquisition. You can help people develop skills. You're highly unlikely to change their personalities.

I don't know if our recruitment/player personnel department has performed personality and skills assessments, but each player should have a personalized development profile. The new versions of these assessments are not the stupid/fake surveys corporations once did. Every organization needs to be "people first" now because processes/info move quickly and are easy to copy. "People" are now the competitive advantage.

Mario can get us a bump through new values and accountability. Our leap to sustainable success will take a ground up approach through recruiting specific types of development-focused players.

This. If culture can be improved in 45 secs, it wouldn’t be such a prevalent challenge across all organizations.

Advertisement
I do this for a living in the corporate space (also do talent development for K12) and the reality is it's not close to true. A leader can change the values of an organization in 45 seconds. Members can begin talking about the environment differently in about 45 seconds. But, "the culture" comes from actions, behaviors, and shared mindsets built over time. And, the reality is it often takes turnover and talent acquisition. You can help people develop skills. You're highly unlikely to change their personalities.

I don't know if our recruitment/player personnel department has performed personality and skills assessments, but each player should have a personalized development profile. The new versions of these assessments are not the stupid/fake surveys corporations once did. Every organization needs to be "people first" now because processes/info move quickly and are easy to copy. "People" are now the competitive advantage.

Mario can get us a bump through new values and accountability. Our leap to sustainable success will take a ground up approach through recruiting specific types of development-focused players.
Great stuff. Do you feel focusing on getting culture buy in from the team leaders, helps expedite the process?

Advertisement
Perhaps it's semantics on how you and I define culture differently. I won't hijack this thread into team science, but the short of it is there are well-established team dysfunctions - how conflict is handled being right near the top - that add up to poor "culture," which then leads to bad or inconsistent results.

I agree with your statement that the Portal accelerates the personnel turnover and *some* of the talent acquisition. But, becoming a great team - in anything, but especially sports - goes beyond the organization's leader (Mario, in this case) laying down the values, holding people accountable, and "kicking people off the bus." That's the key first step: having the right leader at the right time. Then there are more.

We need the right mindsets in the building. Not just a few. We then need the right program to develop those mindsets along with the physical side. Then, those players need to overcome obstacles together. I know it sounds formulaic and I'm oversimplifying a ton of team theory, but these are all steps that take time. You very rarely see great teams (a subjective term, no doubt) appear from the dust. Do I expect a bump from Mario? Of course. I don't expect a cultural overhaul prior to this season's kickoff. Hopefully, many glimpses.

I think we’re more aligned than not. I’m just saying that I can’t think of a school or company where the entire executive staff was replaced and one third of the employees turn over each year. College football allows for swifter cultural changes that’s all.

Advertisement
This will weed out the young men that really don't want to put the work in to bring Miami back to a championship level. And the ones that stay will reap the rewards
If D1 football players who were doing "4th quarter programs" and "**** week" at their HS programs (and sometimes, youth too) can't push an unweighted sled a few times, what can they do? If 125 programs are doing the same mat drills do the mat drills really matter?

I would be more impressed reading about peak power and max velocity over GrindSZN. You're slow in the 4th quarter because you're slow, and because your *** has been beat tactically and technically all game as it is. "Conditioning" (used loosely) in February won't do chit for you in August.

If you want to run guys off (what they're probably doing) just slide their *** down the depth chart and hold them accountable to your culture. They'll run away without making everyone else tired, hurt, slower, etc.

I do a lot of work in the customer experience space which is essentially change management on a larger scale. I'd like to see football coaches eventually talk about some of the theories behind it for implementation. I'm personally a fan of the kotter model which could be adjusted to football pretty easy.

Advertisement
FLfCituX0AMBfIh~2.jpg

4th Quarter wo looking good so far. He was looking like doughboy last year in the off-season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back