4th Quarter Program

This is step 1.

Step 2 is evaluating all of the shirtless pics that come out in the spring/summer and being like "wow, they're so much bigger. Look at the those bulky muscles. mhmmm. Field is a beast, he's getting our players right."

Step 3: anoint a few Greentree all-Americans based on a few 20 second clips.

Step 4: Talk about how much better our scheme is this year based on a few 20 second clips.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff. What else?

Edit: I forgot the DMoney hype pods. Those definitely move the needle.
The review of the schedule and "11-1 at worst" lol. But I do believe in this regime....

Advertisement
I don’t know where I’ve been but what is the 4th Quarter Program??

Coach Saban's 4th-quarter conditioning program is a large part of what we affectionately refer to as "the process." The moment a freshman recruit walks onto campus in Tuscaloosa he becomes a part of that process. It is every player's responsibility to prepare himself, mentally and physically, for any obstacle that might come his way on a football field. This more militant approach has become a source of pride for Alabama.

I heard on numerous occasions that coach Saban and the S&C coaches demand perfection from their players. If it's not done to perfection, do it again. If you fail at something, do it again until you succeed. It is a very rigid routine as I understand it. The players each have individual expectations put on them and the challenge is getting there.

Coach Saban tweaked his process with a 2 headed monster of sorts a few years ago. David Ballou now serves as Alabama’s director of sports performance, while Dr. Matt Rhea’s title is director of sports science. The two take the place of longtime strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran. They have a brand new facility in the complex where they practice their sports science and nutrition through the 4th quarter program and really year-round. So much for the days of running steps and sweating out the weight room.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Coach Saban's 4th-quarter conditioning program is a large part of what we affectionately refer to as "the process." The moment a freshman recruit walks onto campus in Tuscaloosa he becomes a part of that process. It is every player's responsibility to prepare himself, mentally and physically, for any obstacle that might come his way on a football field. This more militant approach has become a source of pride for Alabama.

I heard on numerous occasions that coach Saban and the S&C coaches demand perfection from their players. If it's not done to perfection, do it again. If you fail at something, do it again until you succeed. It is a very rigid routine as I understand it. The players each have individual expectations put on them and the challenge is getting there.

Coach Saban tweaked his process with a 2 headed monster of sorts a few years ago. David Ballou now serves as Alabama’s director of sports performance, while Dr. Matt Rhea’s title is director of sports science. The two take the place of longtime strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran. They have a brand new facility in the complex where they practice their sports science and nutrition through the 4th quarter program and really year-round. So much for the days of running steps and sweating out the weight room.
With the limitations on time that coaches can spend with players, this form of “do it til you get it right” treatment must be a standard to which the players hold each other accountable. The coaches I’m sure instill this in the leaders who pass it on every year and thus it builds on itself.

Advertisement

Attachments

• C1ED0E38-DC4A-421F-8C6E-27124F92770E.png
    C1ED0E38-DC4A-421F-8C6E-27124F92770E.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
Advertisement
I've said it many time, and I will say it again, you can change "the culture" in about 45 seconds if you know how to.

Mario knows how to.
I do this for a living in the corporate space (also do talent development for K12) and the reality is it's not close to true. A leader can change the values of an organization in 45 seconds. Members can begin talking about the environment differently in about 45 seconds. But, "the culture" comes from actions, behaviors, and shared mindsets built over time. And, the reality is it often takes turnover and talent acquisition. You can help people develop skills. You're highly unlikely to change their personalities.

I don't know if our recruitment/player personnel department has performed personality and skills assessments, but each player should have a personalized development profile. The new versions of these assessments are not the stupid/fake surveys corporations once did. Every organization needs to be "people first" now because processes/info move quickly and are easy to copy. "People" are now the competitive advantage.

Mario can get us a bump through new values and accountability. Our leap to sustainable success will take a ground up approach through recruiting specific types of development-focused players.

We own the offseason every year....

Mope I refuses to be, but facts are facts. We have built an off-season dynasty the likes of which sport as a whole has never seen.

Over the last 20+ years we’ve waxed poetic on bricks, the process, mat drills, chains, Julio Derosier, Kaaya’s inevitable heisman speech, & soo much more.

I believe in my Columbus brothers and their commitment to stop at nothing to put some respect back on that U.

I just can’t get too far down this rabbit hole again. Wake me up when we square up with an opponent with a pulse.

“JUST FACKIn Win BABY”

- Al Davis

Advertisement
Back