4th Quarter Program

Some S/C program developed by Saban that is intense as ****. A lot kf his former assistants have implemented it. Mel Tucker, Kirby Smart, and Mario Cristobal too.
This isn't developed by Satan. It was REFINED by Satan to fit more modern standards for NCAA rules. People on here seem to be quick to forget Satan is simply the most recent part of that journey. But it began and he got his teeth cut under Butch who by the way TAUGHT saban plenty to get him where he is. I'm not saying that to descredit Saban at all. He is a great college coach. Can't take that from him. But Saban **** near lived on our campus in his early years learning under Butch's clinics etc. All the **** people talk about Butch's game day coaching, but we used to have a regular who's who of coaches rolling through campus including plenty of NFL dudes who did nothing but watch several of our coaches.

Advertisement
I do this for a living in the corporate space (also do talent development for K12) and the reality is it's not close to true. A leader can change the values of an organization in 45 seconds. Members can begin talking about the environment differently in about 45 seconds. But, "the culture" comes from actions, behaviors, and shared mindsets built over time. And, the reality is it often takes turnover and talent acquisition. You can help people develop skills. You're highly unlikely to change their personalities.

I don't know if our recruitment/player personnel department has performed personality and skills assessments, but each player should have a personalized development profile. The new versions of these assessments are not the stupid/fake surveys corporations once did. Every organization needs to be "people first" now because processes/info move quickly and are easy to copy. "People" are now the competitive advantage.

Mario can get us a bump through new values and accountability. Our leap to sustainable success will take a ground up approach through recruiting specific types of development-focused players.

Partially agree. Main difference is that corporations need employee continuity (and K12 schools have laws requiring continuity), whereas we've literally just ripped and replaced the entire coaching staff. Also, our roster turns over every ~4 years, and the portal accelerates that. 6-year Zach McClouds will be few and far between.

I'm not expecting overnight results. But it's a fact that Mario can make sure the players are either on the bus or off it within a season. Culture will change just as quickly, even if it's not ingrained in the team's muscle memory for a couple more.

Partially agree. Main difference is that corporations need employee continuity (and K12 schools have laws requiring continuity), whereas we've literally just ripped and replaced the entire coaching staff. Also, our roster turns over every ~4 years, and the portal accelerates that. 6-year Zach McClouds will be few and far between.

I'm not expecting overnight results. But it's a fact that Mario can make sure the players are either on the bus or off it within a season. Culture will change just as quickly, even if it's not ingrained in the team's muscle memory for a couple more.
But @LuCane is right in the aspect that yes we can make sure you're on the bus or you portal out. But the bus BEGINS WITH WHOS DRIVING THAT BYTCH... At the end of the day you can only get a kid to adapt so much before they show a standard. An alpha will always be an alpha. If that's not what you truly are than eventually you'll be exposed. Our culture will be repaired once we develop true leaders who bleed for this **** because it's what's in them. Not because kids just want the end goal of winning a game. It's great to have a desire to achieve greatness. It's something else entirely to do what's necessary to BE GREAT... That's when we'll be back. When we build a squad full of kids who'll bleed to be great with a staff full of dudes who demand the same and settle for nothing less.

The idea is not new and Alabama didn't discover the significance of it. Jimmy made it the theme of this talk to the team in the video above. His whole talk was about the importance of being fit and not be tired and exhausted late in the game: 4th quarter. What Saban did in Alabama was finding S&C coaches to help him achieve that.

But @LuCane is right in the aspect that yes we can make sure you're on the bus or you portal out. But the bus BEGINS WITH WHOS DRIVING THAT BYTCH... At the end of the day you can only get a kid to adapt so much before they show a standard. An alpha will always be an alpha. If that's not what you truly are than eventually you'll be exposed. Our culture will be repaired once we develop true leaders who bleed for this **** because it's what's in them. Not because kids just want the end goal of winning a game. It's great to have a desire to achieve greatness. It's something else entirely to do what's necessary to BE GREAT... That's when we'll be back. When we build a squad full of kids who'll bleed to be great with a staff full of dudes who demand the same and settle for nothing less.

The bolded is some of the most real, succinctly phrased **** I have ever read on this board.

Advertisement
This is step 1.

Step 2 is evaluating all of the shirtless pics that come out in the spring/summer and being like "wow, they're so much bigger. Look at the those bulky muscles. mhmmm. Field is a beast, he's getting our players right."

Step 3: anoint a few Greentree all-Americans based on a few 20 second clips.

Step 4: Talk about how much better our scheme is this year based on a few 20 second clips.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff. What else?

Edit: I forgot the DMoney hype pods. Those definitely move the needle.
Don’t you dare talk down on @DMoney hype pods. Talking bad about those is blasphemous!!!! DMoney hype pods sometimes are one of the only bright spots during the season!!!

Music to our ears. I know people still wanted Lane over Mario, but idk if Lane builds a program like this. He would have had flash production like Lincoln Riley but would get stomped by the big dogs who are built like this.

Lane is smart, he will out scheme most and scheme is very important, but at the end of the day football is about beating the man in front of you. I don't doubt Cristobal will have us physically ready, with MC it's all about the coordinators, and I think so far he's on his way with that.

With the limitations on time that coaches can spend with players, this form of “do it til you get it right” treatment must be a standard to which the players hold each other accountable. The coaches I’m sure instill this in the leaders who pass it on every year and thus it builds on itself.
Absolutely. Coach Saban puts a lot of responsibility on leadership. We've gotten used to the players policing themselves in their 7 on 7 and other activities. You mentioned, "till they get it right." A very common expression coach uses is not doing something til they do it right, but keep doing it till they can't do it wrong. I love that attitude in football. I'm sure that gets rolled out at different places but it's definitely the key to staying fundamental at what you do. And nothing deteriorates faster than fundamentals in football.

Advertisement
Can wait for it on the field.

7 and 5 baseline.

From a coaching and recruiting position though this staff F U C K S.

Absolutely. Coach Saban puts a lot of responsibility on leadership. We've gotten used to the players policing themselves in their 7 on 7 and other activities. You mentioned, "till they get it right." A very common expression coach uses is not doing something til they do it right, but keep doing it till they can't do it wrong. I love that attitude in football. I'm sure that gets rolled out at different places but it's definitely the key to staying fundamental at what you do. And nothing deteriorates faster than fundamentals in football.
Pretty sure players rather yell at themselves compared to Saban yelling at them lol

Perhaps it's semantics on how you and I define culture differently. I won't hijack this thread into team science, but the short of it is there are well-established team dysfunctions - how conflict is handled being right near the top - that add up to poor "culture," which then leads to bad or inconsistent results.

I agree with your statement that the Portal accelerates the personnel turnover and *some* of the talent acquisition. But, becoming a great team - in anything, but especially sports - goes beyond the organization's leader (Mario, in this case) laying down the values, holding people accountable, and "kicking people off the bus." That's the key first step: having the right leader at the right time. Then there are more.

We need the right mindsets in the building. Not just a few. We then need the right program to develop those mindsets along with the physical side. Then, those players need to overcome obstacles together. I know it sounds formulaic and I'm oversimplifying a ton of team theory, but these are all steps that take time. You very rarely see great teams (a subjective term, no doubt) appear from the dust. Do I expect a bump from Mario? Of course. I don't expect a cultural overhaul prior to this season's kickoff. Hopefully, many glimpses.

Advertisement
I do this for a living in the corporate space (also do talent development for K12) and the reality is it's not close to true. A leader can change the values of an organization in 45 seconds. Members can begin talking about the environment differently in about 45 seconds. But, "the culture" comes from actions, behaviors, and shared mindsets built over time. And, the reality is it often takes turnover and talent acquisition. You can help people develop skills. You're highly unlikely to change their personalities.

I don't know if our recruitment/player personnel department has performed personality and skills assessments, but each player should have a personalized development profile. The new versions of these assessments are not the stupid/fake surveys corporations once did. Every organization needs to be "people first" now because processes/info move quickly and are easy to copy. "People" are now the competitive advantage.

Mario can get us a bump through new values and accountability. Our leap to sustainable success will take a ground up approach through recruiting specific types of development-focused players.
Birds of a feather flock together - greats rub off on one another, that can be acquired to a certain extent, but its a long process and it’s peaks when you are driven to compete by others who don’t know the difference or know any other way than to work their *** off. You don’t have to think about motivation at that point, it’s the status quo. Bring in that mindset of those with desire, grit, w those that already have it innate greatness motivation or chip, and build that culture. The weak fall off quick, I’ve said it before but the cream will rise. It wont be a quick process for Mario but most of these kids have played to a high level and competed at some point in their lives, so who knows. Go canes tho!

With the limitations on time that coaches can spend with players, this form of “do it til you get it right” treatment must be a standard to which the players hold each other accountable. The coaches I’m sure instill this in the leaders who pass it on every year and thus it builds on itself.

Exactly. This 4th quarter program won't really be effective until the players take ownership and hold each other accountable. It was good to see/hear that TVD and JG were in the front of the line leading drills. I hope ALL team leaders are in front leading the drills.

Advertisement
Are we using the ***** gauntlet tho?

Hot Dog Girl GIF

Advertisement
Back