4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

IDK why people are so hot over possibly not getting this kid. He's never seemed to want to be at Miami. And it's never seemed like the staff was all out on trying to land him. He's been an option. The fans have latched onto him because he's been one of the names out in public. It's never felt like either side was all that invested in the other party. If he goes elsewhere, good luck to him. I'm sure the staff will find someone between now and February.

IMO it has less to do with Brown, specifically, and more to do with the general state of CB recruiting and what missing on a kid like this seems to confirm. Am I in love with him as a recruit, no, but I think he could definitely be a solid contributor to a depleted CB room and potentially develop into a solid ACC starting CB.

At the end of the day, he's a kid from Pahokee who transferred up to IMG that has attended camps on our campus, has the measurables the staff likes, and who we offered back in April 2019 (i.e., near the end of his sophomore year). We weren't slow playing him, we weren't late, we offered several months before Auburn/OleMiss/VT, he's from the tri-county area, bags don't seem to be at issue, there is a clear opportunity for early playing time, and our staff prioritized him and put a lot of effort into his recruitment.

If the staff can't close on a kid like this under these circumstances, then changes need to be made on our staff. By analogy, this would be a dead canary in the dark mine shaft that is our CB recruitment. A painfully clear and obvious signal that things are totally fvcked.

Last edited:
Advertisement
IDK why people are so hot over possibly not getting this kid. He's never seemed to want to be at Miami. And it's never seemed like the staff was all out on trying to land him. He's been an option. The fans have latched onto him because he's been one of the names out in public. It's never felt like either side was all that invested in the other party. If he goes elsewhere, good luck to him. I'm sure the staff will find someone between now and February.
They've lost that benefit of the doubt & their track record shows that their late signing day adds at CB have not worked out in the long run because their evals are rushed & not thorough enough.

The fact we have to wait until the very last minute just to sign ONE CB is an indictment on their inability to do so in the first place. Miami has had all year to secure a CB commit & 13 days away from ENSD & we have 0.

Fans aren't mad about Brown in particular, it's the fact we're going on year 5 of this & our CB recruiting has gotten progressively worse, there's no plan, there's no philosophy & there's rhyme or reason to it, fans are not unreasonable to be skeptical & upset about the direction that CB recruiting has been going in, which is down, falling off a steep cliff down.

The criticisms of CB recruiting are 1,000% valid & legitimate. There is no justifiable excuse for this kind of systemic failure at a position that has an abundance of talent locally in every class to pick from. There are 38 CB's in the state of FLA for the 21 class & Miami can't find one that wants to come here, that's unacceptable.

I'll just add that the last I read stats, 72% of all signees will now do so by ESD. That means that the likelihood of getting something we'd really like at CB by February is not likely to happen in the high school ranks.

Advertisement
IMO it has less to do with Brown, specifically, and more to do with the general state of CB recruiting and what missing on a kid like this seems to confirm. Am I in love with him as a recruit, no, but I think he could definitely be a solid contributor to a depleted CB room and potentially develop into a solid ACC starting CB.

At the end of the day, he's a kid from Pahokee who transferred up to IMG that has attended camps on our campus, has the measurables the staff likes, and who we offered back in April 2019 (i.e., near the end of his sophomore year). We weren't slow playing him, we weren't late, we offered several months before Auburn/OleMiss/VT, he's from the tri-county area, bags don't seem to be at issue, there is a clear opportunity for early playing time, and our staff prioritized him and put a lot of effort into his recruitment.

If the staff can't close on a kid like this under these circumstances, then changes need to be made on our staff. By analogy, this would be a dead canary in the dark mine shaft that is our CB recruitment. A painfully clear and obvious signal that things are totally fvcked.
They actually did slow play him a few times

I'll just add that the last I read stats, 72% of all signees will now do so by ESD. That means that the likelihood of getting something we'd really like at CB by February is not likely to happen in the high school ranks.
McGhee isn’t expected to sign until February and he appears to be the top target now

They've lost that benefit of the doubt & their track record shows that their late signing day adds at CB have not worked out in the long run because their evals are rushed & not thorough enough.

The fact we have to wait until the very last minute just to sign ONE CB is an indictment on their inability to do so in the first place. Miami has had all year to secure a CB commit & 13 days away from ENSD & we have 0.

Fans aren't mad about Brown in particular, it's the fact we're going on year 5 of this & our CB recruiting has gotten progressively worse, there's no plan, there's no philosophy & there's rhyme or reason to it, fans are not unreasonable to be skeptical & upset about the direction that CB recruiting has been going in, which is down, falling off a steep cliff down.

The criticisms of CB recruiting are 1,000% valid & legitimate. There is no justifiable excuse for this kind of systemic failure at a position that has an abundance of talent locally in every class to pick from. There are 38 CB's in the state of FLA for the 21 class & Miami can't find one that wants to come here, that's unacceptable.
This staff flip flop and backtracks so much at cb it’s ridiculous. They appear to be trying to flip mcburrows now but why weren’t you on him from the beginning? They offered mcghee and didn’t even go after him but now they want him and he is a top target. Even with brown they have changed their mind on him 2 or 3 times.

Advertisement
Misguided on this cycle fwiw
If I am reading this correctly, and I pray I am, my silly rant and pity party will be for not. If that is what you are telling me, I thank you for the info and look forward to a few corners hopping on board.

Advertisement

Crazy that CB is arguably the second most important position in football yet we find ourselves investing in it less and less each year. It’s sad that they treat it almost like a school department that is severely underfunded. Every school in the past 5 years that has competed for a national title or at least have been in the CFP have had elite corners with maybe Oklahoma being the exception.
Clemson- Mackensie Alexander, Cordrea Tankersley, Trayvon Mullen, AJ Terrell, Andrew Booth.
Ohio State- Eli Apple, Marshon Lattimore, Denzel Ward, Jeff Okudah.
Georgia- Deandre Baker
Bama- Cyrus Jones, Eddie Jackson, Marlon Humphrey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Xavier Mckinney, PSII
LSU- Tre’Davious white, Greedy Williams, Derek Stingley Jr, Elias Ricks

Like I know Manny sees this, there’s no way he can be this arrogantly blind. Whoever is plugged in to the staff needs to relay this information. We’re not Legion of Boom. We need an elite Man corner.

Maybe Rumph knew he was on borrowed time and just decided he didn't feel like recruiting CBs when he won't be around to coach them. It's petty and would cause other CFB programs to not want to hire him, but that doesn't really matter. His future is as a HS coach (who talks **** about Miami and steers recruits to the SEC)

Advertisement
It's been evident this entire time how this recruitment was going to go. He was looking at every school seriously, but Miami.

Agreed.
When he put out that tweet last month letting all the schools recruiting him know how "grateful" he was but that he was still 100% open, all doubts should have been erased.

Crazy that CB is arguably the second most important position in football yet we find ourselves investing in it less and less each year. It’s sad that they treat it almost like a school department that is severely underfunded. Every school in the past 5 years that has competed for a national title or at least have been in the CFP have had elite corners with maybe Oklahoma being the exception.
Clemson- Mackensie Alexander, Cordrea Tankersley, Trayvon Mullen, AJ Terrell, Andrew Booth.
Ohio State- Eli Apple, Marshon Lattimore, Denzel Ward, Jeff Okudah.
Georgia- Deandre Baker
Bama- Cyrus Jones, Eddie Jackson, Marlon Humphrey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Xavier Mckinney, PSII
LSU- Tre’Davious white, Greedy Williams, Derek Stingley Jr, Elias Ricks

Like I know Manny sees this, there’s no way he can be this arrogantly blind. Whoever is plugged in to the staff needs to relay this information. We’re not Legion of Boom. We need an elite Man corner.
Lol easy buddy....

second most important is Dline followed by Oline.... then I’m with you on corners

Lol easy buddy....

second most important is Dline followed by Oline.... then I’m with you on corners
Julio Jones recorded 300 yards on 12 catches and made the panthers cut their starting CB the following week.
The two positional groups you mentioned can mask mediocrity if they play as a unit. You cannot mask an awful CB, not in CFB and definitely not in the NFL. QBs will pick them apart and Receivers... Food ... So Unless all units on defense are playing sound defense.. then you can maybe cushion or mask an awful CB. The game of football is transitioning to a passing league, need an shutdown corner to combat this.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back