4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

Agreed... but at what point do they let our front four do that without blitzing? Manny and Baker are still enamored with their blitzes.

That aside, I agree with you in the trenches but you still have to have some talent at CB and regardless of scheme, the goal should be maximizing talent at all positions.
Our dl isn’t talented enough this year to get there with four, it’s very inconsistent. Philips looks awesome for a game then disappears. Even when we blitz it’s pretty safe , we rarely go 0 coverage. There’s always a safety over the top , sometimes two. It’s a lot of cover three , cover 1 and zone blitzes. The dl is the only thing on this d aggressive, everything else is very conservative. Even the cb’s rarely press , it’s either a cushion or bail if they’re playing close to the wr.

I’m not crapping on cb or saying it’s not important but at the end of the day we play a lot of zone. Maybe that turns some kids off.

Advertisement
Its the other way around. I explained this in a post I made weeks ago.

A good pass rush can be overcome easily these days. Best thing you can do against the Chiefs is send three and play coverage. If you try to pressure and win the trenches, youre ****ed.
And the NY Giants beat the Patriots in two Super Bowls because of their 4 down lineman being able to create pressure without sending 5+ at Brady. And they had no answers.

That includes an offense with randy moss and what was the greatest team to not win a title. They were undefeated and deemed unbeatable until they met the best pass rush in the league. If they didn’t get to brady they’d get their hands up and batted down an absurd amount of passes.

You cannot scheme around an average DL. You can absolutely scheme around an average OL.

And the NY Giants beat the Patriots in two Super Bowls because of their 4 down lineman being able to create pressure without sending 5+ at Brady. And they had no answers.

That includes an offense with randy moss and what was the greatest team to not win a title. They were undefeated and deemed unbeatable until they met the best pass rush in the league. If they didn’t get to brady they’d get their hands up and batted down an absurd amount of passes.
While having a bum *** secondary.

You cannot scheme around an average DL. You can absolutely scheme around an average OL.

Man I remember being at a party full of Giants fans.... Ive never seen Brady so flustered and under pressure for an entire game.

Giants DL was nasty

Well, its because of some things:

1. Coughlin sent the Cougar package (I believe thats what the name was) towards Brady all game. Justin Tuck came through the middle, Michael Strahan came from the edges and they also had Osi. That D-Line was pretty good. 2. Moss played with cracked ribs and had a hard time high pointing the ball. 3. That secondary played better in the game than most people think. You get Brady off his first two reads and the middle of the O-Line starts to move towards him, he gets nervous. Back then, he didnt scramble forward to gain yardage like he did in the mid 2010s.

Advertisement
Man I remember being at a party full of Giants fans.... Ive never seen Brady so flustered and under pressure for an entire game.

Giants DL was nasty
I love how experts say **** like “ well, (insert qb name) tends to struggle when he’s getting hit”. Mfer they all struggle when they’re getting smacked every play. When my eagles had the goat Reggie white and Jerome I saw so many sacks or incomplete passes because the qb saw ghosts. Literally sacking them self. Even when the pressure wasn’t there , it was there lol. Like a shot blocker in basketball.

I’ve been preaching for years that paying wr’s and cb’s is foolish. My money is going to the trenches and qb. If I have the best trenches I can cover up a lot. You spend money and build your team inside out. That’s how you win , that’s one thing that’ll never change in football.
Except it has changed. College football today is about basketball on grass. QB and WR are the most important offensive units, and CB is probably now the most important defensive unit.

LSU wasn’t all time elite in the trenches last year.
Clemson’s OL has been good enough during its run, but not elite.

Except it has changed. College football today is about basketball on grass. QB and WR are the most important offensive units, and CB is probably now the most important defensive unit.

LSU wasn’t all time elite in the trenches last year.
Clemson’s OL has been good enough during its run, but not elite.
LSU also got lit up....a lot. They won with a historic offense and qb. Plain and simple.

Offense wins in cfb now , just hope for more stops. That’s why bama changed their style of play. Also there’s more zone being ran now than ever, so I disagree. The teams that win normally get the most stops because they get their with four the most. Just look at the bama and Clemson dl’s. Guess who dominates cfb?

Last edited:
People forget when we had Artie burns a 1st rounder here who was making plays and the defense still sucked

why? We ran some dumb front that didn’t help them and proceeded to make the whole defense awful

Advertisement
You’re f’d in cfb. They don’t call holds ( the refs are actually told not to call unless it’s blatant) , rpo’s with ol down field and not being called , targeting every play leads to not being able to protect the middle of the field and all the rules are slanted to the o. So if you don’t get sacks or tfl’s you’re f’d. Well you’re f’d either way , but less f’d with sacks and tfl’s.

Back in the day you could read the ol and know the play by who’s pulling or ol action. Well now you can put the ball in a rb’s stomach ,the ol go down field, pull it back out and throw the ball down field. Even though the ol was 3-5 yards further down field than they’re allowed. Yet the refs never call it.

Like I said “ you’re f’d , just hope for tfl or sacks.

I’ve been preaching for years that paying wr’s and cb’s is foolish. My money is going to the trenches and qb. If I have the best trenches I can cover up a lot. You spend money and build your team inside out. That’s how you win , that’s one thing that’ll never change in football.

I think it can work both ways to a degree. You can build from the outside - in: elite secondary and the DL is of lesser importance or you can build from the inside out. I think the former wins a lot of games against mediocre QBs because they can't read the field well. If a WR is locked down, it gives a lesser DL time to get to the QB. But elite QBs will check down all day and kill you with a thousand cuts. On the flip side, no QB is comfortable when 300 LB bullies are in their face as soon as the ball is snapped and planting the QBs after every drop back. You can have average CBs because the even the best QB will not have time to scan the field. Since playoff teams tend to have elite QBs, the outside - in builders will have a harder time winning championships, IMO.

I think it can work both ways to a degree. You can build from the outside - in: elite secondary and the DL is of lesser importance or you can build from the inside out. I think the former wins a lot of games against mediocre QBs because they can't read the field well. If a WR is locked down, it gives a lesser DL time to get to the QB. But elite QBs will check down all day and kill you with a thousand cuts. On the flip side, no QB is comfortable when 300 LB bullies are in their face as soon as the ball is snapped and planting the QBs after every drop back. You can have average CBs because the even the best QB will not have time to scan the field. Since playoff teams tend to have elite QBs, the outside - in builders will have a harder time winning championships, IMO.
I’ll just say this I can find a ton of title teams with really good dl’s and suspect secondaries but you can’t say the other. No matter how good you cover you you can’t cover over a few seconds.

Well, its because of some things:

1. Coughlin sent the Cougar package (I believe thats what the name was) towards Brady all game. Justin Tuck came through the middle, Michael Strahan came from the edges and they also had Osi. That D-Line was pretty good. 2. Moss played with cracked ribs and had a hard time high pointing the ball. 3. That secondary played better in the game than most people think. You get Brady off his first two reads and the middle of the O-Line starts to move towards him, he gets nervous. Back then, he didnt scramble forward to gain yardage like he did in the mid 2010s.

And how does the middle of the OL start moving towards him within 2 seconds?

Advertisement
Cribby is right we don’t need CBs in our defense. But I want good CBS so bad even if I don’t need them.

its like telling me don’t date the girl with a huge *** and big **** because she’s probably high demand and has a terrible attitude. You’re probably right but I still want it.

LSU also got lit up....a lot. They won with a historic offense and qb. Plain and simple.

Offense wins in cfb now , just hope for more stops. That’s why bama changed their style of play. Also there’s more zone being ran now than ever, so I disagree. The teams that win normally get the most stops because they get their with four the most. Just look at the bama and Clemson dl’s. Guess who dominates cfb?

Yes, LSU got lit up. And they still are won a NC. Why? QB and WR play.
You can of course win a lot of games being great in the trenches. But the only way you dominate college football in today’s game is to have a “modern” offense and a QB and receiver unit that runs wild in that system.
You need a base line level of play in the trenches. But you can’t be average at QB or WR.

Advertisement
Y’all gotta put this thread to rest man. He’s a non commit that’s not committed and most likely won’t be. Don’t torture yourselves more than you have to. It’ll work out some how. Either we end up with DBs who can change the convo OR Rumph just gets fired and we HOPEFULLY get someone who can make playing DB at the U fly as **** again.

In college football imo the growing most important position go qb ol lbs dl. Lbs are extremely important now going against top offenses if u can run out 2 or 3 great athlete and smart lbers ur chances skyrocket imo the rpo is beyond deadly

You all need to relax. Sometimes, actually a lot lately, good things happen here at The []_[]. We are a one loss, top ten team with multiple five stars in this class. Enjoy the ride. It’s long overdue. We’re going to finish stronger than you think. Faith

Advertisement
Back