4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

Cribby, I agree with the priority being trenches. And that our DL are mostly asked to play downhill (expect for some mostly poor stunting) and not prioritize gap management.

I'm not sure how conservative we are with the LBs though, I feel we are letting guys fly around without much discipline in the middle, which is why we're so soft with the back 4-5.

And while it's true the trenches are more important, I really don't see that as an excuse for the weak CB recruiting. Maybe not getting Jobe and Stevenson and Campbell, fine. Maybe not getting Marshall, fine. But there were another 20 talented guys that weren't cashing in on big bags over the past 5 years that we could have gotten and mostly whiffed.

Advertisement
Maybe Rumph knew he was on borrowed time and just decided he didn't feel like recruiting CBs when he won't be around to coach them. It's petty and would cause other CFB programs to not want to hire him, but that doesn't really matter. His future is as a HS coach (who talks **** about Miami and steers recruits to the SEC)
Because he wanted to ***** over his soma mater in the way out the door? This isn’t logical. There are clearly bigger issues. Reading other posts, I am under the belief that he and CMD are on two different levels of what they want (Kelee Ringo story I believe). We need CB recruiting to take center stage and priority on defense since we are currently thinner than Butch Barry’s hairline (or lack thereof). Not sure what they plan to do with Rumph after the season. While Ivey sucked to start the year, he has become average over time, Blades has regressed and Couch has taken off. Not really a ringing endorsement of talent development. But this cannot happen anymore. Do you remember the days during “bend don’t break” when we were crippled at DT and celebrated Anthony Moten signing? We had nothing at that point and I feel that is where we are going with the current CBs if not for Couch.

Our dl isn’t talented enough this year to get there with four, it’s very inconsistent. Philips looks awesome for a game then disappears. Even when we blitz it’s pretty safe , we rarely go 0 coverage. There’s always a safety over the top , sometimes two. It’s a lot of cover three , cover 1 and zone blitzes. The dl is the only thing on this d aggressive, everything else is very conservative. Even the cb’s rarely press , it’s either a cushion or bail if they’re playing close to the wr.

I’m not crapping on cb or saying it’s not important but at the end of the day we play a lot of zone. Maybe that turns some kids off.

Having an attacking DL and playing soft zone behind is counter productive. Teams know they have to get the ball out quick and we let them playing that way.
Now that being said....ive said before we don't have the talent to play 1on1 on the outside and consistently hold up. I think Manny likes Zone blitzing and keeping everything in front of you. Now this style has been proven think Seattle a few years ago with LOB. The thing with us is we need to recruit much better athletes than we have been at corner. To play that zone 3 cover scheme you don't need Elite hips. You do need length and athleticism.

Advertisement
Having an attacking DL and playing soft zone behind is counter productive. Teams know they have to get the ball out quick and we let them playing that way.
Now that being said....ive said before we don't have the talent to play 1on1 on the outside and consistently hold up. I think Manny likes Zone blitzing and keeping everything in front of you. Now this style has been proven think Seattle a few years ago with LOB. The thing with us is we need to recruit much better athletes than we have been at corner. To play that zone 3 cover scheme you don't need Elite hips. You do need length and athleticism.
You’re preaching to the choir.

We have physical , bigger corners so why wouldn’t you let them put their hands on wr’s? Rather than bail out.

Knock them off their routes then let them release into the zone. Seattle did this a lot , plenty of teams rub physical zones.

We have physical , bigger corners so why wouldn’t you let them put their hands on wr’s? Rather than bail out.

Knock them off their routes then let them release into the zone. Seattle did this a lot , plenty of teams rub physical zones.
100% agree I just don't think Baker or Manny Trust these guys enough and are scared to get beat over the top. I always say we don't recruit corners we recruit safeties and put them at corner.

Looks like someone who doesn’t want their “moment” ruined

Attachments

• 4A944A50-F19F-4579-BB48-7AB852F4C04A.jpeg
    4A944A50-F19F-4579-BB48-7AB852F4C04A.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 148
Advertisement
You don't think dudes 20-30 years ago would have done the same **** thing if they had social media?
Probably would have. But it wasn’t around so they couldn’t. Social media has created this “look at me” generation.

Advertisement

Thats all Seattle does. Not alot. They typically dont have a corner under 6'0...they got cbs from 6'0 up to 6'4. Typically the tallest most grabbiest cbs in the league.

So Rumph has missed on every single target at CB in year when we're 7-1 and ranked in the top 10

CB coach needs to be a recruiter and Rumph is not that. I pray Manny makes change in the offseason
If we were 8-0 and top 5 we would have everybody committed.

Right?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back