4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
He's legit 6'0 & he is very good CB.

He played much better at Pahokee than he did at IMG because IMG had him playing as a rotational Boundary corner & had him playing in off coverage for the majority of his snaps. He was behind Lejond Cavazos & Elias Ricks so he didn't get to play as much as he did his Sophomore year at Pahokee where he was a starter.

He's a physical press man corner with good feet & very good recovery speed, he's got ball skills & does a great job maintaining physicality while staying in phase & playing through the hands.

His issue was like a lot of kids who go up to IMG, the politics behind being at a school that's an All-star team where you have nothing but 4/5-star players all over the roster & coaches who are essentially paid to placate towards specific recruits that are committed to certain schools you can sometimes get lost in the sauce because you don't get enough PT & when you do you're not put in position to succeed.

Markevious ain't an off coverage Bail technique style corner, he's a physical press man bump & run style that you can leave on an island, when you put him at Boundary & force him to play with a 8-10 yard cushion it debilitates his skill set & doesn't accentuate his strengths.

He's a dawg from the Muck, he's cut from the same cloth as Janoris Jenkins, Alphonso Smith, Bill Bentley etc, he's been playing that aggressive one on one style his whole life since little league ball, he was a baller for Florida Fire 7v7 too locked down some really good South FL WR's, he didn't struggle until he got up there at IMG & had to play under their bullshìt system that's all about showcasing all the Bama, UGA, Oh St & LSU kids they have on the roster.

People can't & shouldn't try to start lessening the blow if we don't get him. He's a legit 4-star with really nice upside, there's NO EXCUSES for not landing him, his whole family is Canes fans & wants him home, this should be a layup for Rumph. No way in **** should Va Tech, Ole Miss or Auburn beat us on this one.
Agreed...preach it LCE! I watched him live two years ago at the Muck Bowl...legit playa'! Canes would be lucky/fortunate to have this young man....

Advertisement
We seem to not have a problem at TE, or on the DL's here?. **** we landed our top target at QB last class.

We consitently dont land the top of our board at cb...those are FACTS. We were beaten out by places like UCF for cbs....the **** with UGA TYPES AND ELITE

b-b-b-b-but, we land 4-starz!

As if landing OOS 4-starz very late because you swung and missed on all of your top local targets isn't basically replacement level at Miami.

We seem to not have a problem at TE, or on the DL's here?. **** we landed our top target at QB last class.

We consitently dont land the top of our board at cb...those are FACTS. We were beaten out by places like UCF for cbs....the **** with UGA TYPES AND ELITE
It’s besides the point, but TVD became our top target when we missed out on others, he didn’t start off as the top target. Beck was a higher priority until he committed to UGA.

Advertisement
Who’s the other local kid besides Knowles? Didn’t seem like they were really pushing for him but I know you’re a lot closer to that recruitment than other people on the board.

Omarion Cooper out of Fort Myers. They were recruiting Knowles, but maybe werent aggresive as others at this point of the cycle.

Star ***** is that you! I know your type.. Duck
I'm not at all. I was just curious. You really going to tell me that Troutman is a 3 star? They get a lot of them right, but they get a lot of them wrong too.

Advertisement
I've said it before, but this kid would be fire at safety. Had some dogs in front of him last year, so we'll see what he's got this year.

I should add, play him at corner. I've seen enough to know if it doesn't work out there, he's got a perfect backup plan.

b-b-b-b-but, we land 4-starz!

As if landing OOS 4-starz very late because you swung and missed on all of your top local targets isn't basically replacement level at Miami.

It’s not automatic. Shannon and Golden left our CB depth chart so depleted we had to scramble for grad transfers.

We aren’t recruiting the caliber of corner you see at Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Florida or (lately) Clemson. We are in the next tier, though.

Advertisement
Need to land this kid, then all that coaching Rumph is infamous for can actually pan out to landing this you g man into the league.

It’s not automatic. Shannon and Golden left our CB depth chart so depleted we had to scramble for grad transfers.

We aren’t recruiting the caliber of corner you see at Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Florida or (lately) Clemson. We are in the next tier, though.

Just a quick eyeball test from the past 5 years...

The next tier would include Florida State, Oregon, Texas, SC, Oklahoma, IMO.

Nebraska, Michigan State, Washington, Notre Dame, Michigan, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Penn State have also done pretty well at recruiting corners.

Since Rumph's first full class.

Miami's average cornerback recruit score is .8988. Nebraska is .8956. Michigan is 9039. South Carolina is .8896. Florida State .9376. Washington is .8983.

idk where your definition of the "next tier" is, but I think you need to readjust. I'd say Miami is a tier three program recruiting cornerback and, IMO, should always be at tier two or better. We're significantly behind our two in-state rival programs at recruiting the position. That should tell you enough. We've got numbers on par with Washington and Nebraska.

Rumph just isn't good, idk what to tell you. Some things are self-evident.

Advertisement
Man Rumph gets his *** kicked on here. We all know that landing these top recruits. Takes more than having a slick talking recruiter. Our on field performance or should I say lack thereof. Plays a major role in recruiting. How much more plain can the recruits make it. A MAJORITY OF THE PROSPECTS ARE SAYING PUBLICLY. I JUST WANT TO SEE THE U WIN ON THE FIELD. We have so many recruits ready to jump on board if they see a successful season. Now had we been consistent after that 10 win season. Followed by another one. We would not be in this predicament, but we might still have the previous coach. So its a catch 22, but that would also mean he was still able to get it done. Nothing tops winning. Look at the 5* DE from FLA who took a greyshirt just to be apart of BAMA. I dont even know if he is playing, but he is part of a winning program. If we get the results on the field. We will begin to see top 10. **** we will see THE TOP CLASSES AGAIN. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO PUT EVERYONE ON NOTICE THIS YEAR. JUST WIN AND THEY WILL BE LINING UP. So as long as Rumph continues to give sound coaching and the kids improve. That should keep him around. After all our biggest complaint has been coaching. So why would you get rid of the best coach you had? Before making the necessary changes on offense.

Man Rumph gets his *** kicked on here. We all know that landing these top recruits. Takes more than having a slick talking recruiter. Our on field performance or should I say lack thereof. Plays a major role in recruiting. How much more plain can the recruits make it. A MAJORITY OF THE PROSPECTS ARE SAYING PUBLICLY. I JUST WANT TO SEE THE U WIN ON THE FIELD. We have so many recruits ready to jump on board if they see a successful season. Now had we been consistent after that 10 win season. Followed by another one. We would not be in this predicament, but we might still have the previous coach. So its a catch 22, but that would also mean he was still able to get it done. Nothing tops winning. Look at the 5* DE from FLA who took a greyshirt just to be apart of BAMA. I dont even know if he is playing, but he is part of a winning program. If we get the results on the field. We will begin to see top 10. **** we will see THE TOP CLASSES AGAIN. WE HAVE A CHANCE TO PUT EVERYONE ON NOTICE THIS YEAR. JUST WIN AND THEY WILL BE LINING UP. So as long as Rumph continues to give sound coaching and the kids improve. That should keep him around. After all our biggest complaint has been coaching. So why would you get rid of the best coach you had? Before making the necessary changes on offense.
I can’t speak on the power dynamic regarding who he’s allowed to recruit, etc. because very few of us truly know the situation there, but...

I don’t think any rational Rumph hater is on hating because he doesn’t get 5-stars. It’s because he doesn’t get overall numbers for depth and misses on HIGH UPSIDE tier 2/3 South Florida DB’s.

It’s also quite obvious he just doesn’t have the selling gene because a DB coach at UM who is from South Florida and was a 1st rounder at UM should be able to get the Markevious Brown type recruits in his sleep.

Advertisement
Back