4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
I can’t speak on the power dynamic regarding who he’s allowed to recruit, etc. because very few of us truly know the situation there, but...

I don’t think any rational Rumph hater is on hating because he doesn’t get 5-stars. It’s because he doesn’t get overall numbers for depth and misses on HIGH UPSIDE tier 2/3 South Florida DB’s.

It’s also quite obvious he just doesn’t have the selling gene because a DB coach at UM who is from South Florida and was a 1st rounder at UM should be able to get the Markevious Brown type recruits in his sleep.

He's been unable to close on basically every elite corner we've targeted since he's been here. Getting a bunch of .90, .89, .88 level recruits (per 247) is not special. FWIW - in comparison to Paul Williams, considered by everyone, the worst DB coach we've ever had here - if you include safeties was pulling an average a little south of .88, but cornerbacks alone was .8649. That is the dirt worst FLOOR at Miami at the position. Rumph is doing better on a per player basis, but its not special. I'm fine calling Miami's recruiting tier three. But I don't think thats good enough to stay employed here.

Advertisement
I can’t speak on the power dynamic regarding who he’s allowed to recruit, etc. because very few of us truly know the situation there, but...

I don’t think any rational Rumph hater is on hating because he doesn’t get 5-stars. It’s because he doesn’t get overall numbers for depth and misses on HIGH UPSIDE tier 2/3 South Florida DB’s.

It’s also quite obvious he just doesn’t have the selling gene because a DB coach at UM who is from South Florida and was a 1st rounder at UM should be able to get the Markevious Brown type recruits in his sleep.
So youre saying with that background as former player and 1ST RD pick it should be easier? Hence why winning is also important. I also believe it should be easier, but we have been very inconsistent. I dont even wanna say bad. We just haven’t given the children or community enough to push their children here. Like they push them to the SEC schools. Even BULL**** Tennessee.

He's been unable to close on basically every elite corner we've targeted since he's been here. Getting a bunch of .90, .89, .88 level recruits (per 247) is not special. FWIW - in comparison to Paul Williams, considered by everyone, the worst DB coach we've ever had here - if you include safeties was pulling an average a little south of .88, but cornerbacks alone was .8649. That is the dirt worst FLOOR at Miami at the position. Rumph is doing better on a per player basis, but its not special. I'm fine calling Miami's recruiting tier three. But I don't think thats good enough to stay employed here.
So winning plays no part? Just like we had Patrick Johnson/Peterson locked up. He chose LSU for specific reasons, but let’s not say it’s just been Rumph. This has been a problem for quite some time now. I actually think him spurning us made it easier for other BIG TIME DB’s to do the same.

So youre saying with that background as former player and 1ST RD pick it should be easier? Hence why winning is also important. I also believe it should be easier, but we have been very inconsistent. I dont even wanna say bad. We just haven’t given the children or community enough to push their children here. Like they push them to the SEC schools. Even BULL**** Tennessee.
I see where you’re coming from, but we haven’t had issues at other positions despite facing the same complications. RB, WR, TE, DE, and S have all been at least solid despite inconsistency and not meeting expectations.

Just a quick eyeball test from the past 5 years...

The next tier would include Florida State, Oregon, Texas, SC, Oklahoma, IMO

Since Rumph became our coach:

Average rank in pass defense:

Miami- 18
Florida State- 40
Oregon- 40
Texas- 81
SC- 38
Oklahoma- 72

Corners drafted:

Miami- 3
Florida State- 1
Oregon- 0
Texas- 1
SC- 2
Oklahoma- 0

I agree that Miami isn't on the same tier as those teams. It's clearly a tier above.

Advertisement
We seem to not have a problem at TE, or on the DL's here?. **** we landed our top target at QB last class.

We consitently dont land the top of our board at cb...those are FACTS. We were beaten out by places like UCF for cbs....the **** with UGA TYPES AND ELITE
We do have a problem on the D-line we struggle to land top tier DTs and have for years

Paul Williams wasn’t pulling anything. No DBs came here because of him

So, who are the guys that Rumph has missed on?

I follow recruiting only superficially. I know we've missed on Surtain, Campbell, Tyrique. I can't blame Rumph for any of those guys. Those are extremely hard pulls, given the W-L here over the last decade.

I also disagree that we've recruited comparably well at other positions in contrast to CB. I think we've missed consistently on the high-4 star/5 star types in the tri-county area for years all across the board.

Advertisement
Rumph should have been fired for the CJ Henderson **** up alone

Of all his misses, that's the one I am least inclined to put on him. I may be misremembering, but I thought the story was CJ got mad and acted out after feeling disrespected at an all star game, then took offense with Diaz and Rumph when they gave him some hard coaching and told him Canes don't act out that way. Decommit came really soon after that. Regardless, CJ was flirting with UiF throughout that Spring/Summer and a second school (Michigan?).

Whenever you ask someone "Who has Rumph missed out on" everyone gets quiet.

Then they say "This is Miami he should be pulling 5star CBs that's our brand".

Then I ask them in the last 15yrs tell me what dominate CBs did we get lol. They get quiet again. So basically people are living on revisionist history when it pertains to Miami Hurricanes Football.

This is deeper than Rumph... I was born 93 I know how these kids think. South Florida kids want to win point blank period. We're raised to win here, and nobody likes to lose. Miami has done a great job at doing that. LOSING... So yeah miss me with past glory. What have you done for me lately...

Advertisement
Since Rumph became our coach:

Average rank in pass defense:

Miami- 18
Florida State- 40
Oregon- 40
Texas- 81
SC- 38
Oklahoma- 72

Corners drafted:

Miami- 3
Florida State- 1
Oregon- 0
Texas- 1
SC- 2
Oklahoma- 0

I agree that Miami isn't on the same tier as those teams. It's clearly a tier above.

In typical DMoney fashion, you're moving the goalpost.

Your words, not mine.

We aren’t recruiting the caliber of corner you see at Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, Florida or (lately) Clemson. We are in the next tier, though.

None of the corners drafted were recruited by Rumph. None. Kudos to Paul Williams and his excellent eye for talent, I guess. lol

Who are the 3 we are counting here? I count Michael Jackson (5th Round pick) and Corn Elder (5th Round pick). We counting Sheldrick Redwine, who played safety here?

Of the corners Rumph has recruited that we can evaluate.

Malek Young - unfortunately, we'll never know. Did not finish his career here due to injury.
Jhavonte Dean - undrafted
Dee Delaney - undrafted
Trajan Bandy - undrafted

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here...but he stinks. As a recruiter, is behind a lot of teams...not just your tier one programs. He's down there slumming with Nebraska and Michigan State as a recruiter while sitting on the best talent at the position within a **** from campus. Your take stinks.

I see where you’re coming from, but we haven’t had issues at other positions despite facing the same complications. RB, WR, TE, DE, and S have all been at least solid despite inconsistency and not meeting expectations.
I NEVER REALLY LOOKED AT THAT WAY. WE STRUGGLE WITH DT’S AND CB’S.

Just a quick eyeball test from the past 5 years...

The next tier would include Florida State, Oregon, Texas, SC, Oklahoma, IMO.

Nebraska, Michigan State, Washington, Notre Dame, Michigan, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Penn State have also done pretty well at recruiting corners.

Since Rumph's first full class.

Miami's average cornerback recruit score is .8988. Nebraska is .8956. Michigan is 9039. South Carolina is .8896. Florida State .9376. Washington is .8983.

idk where your definition of the "next tier" is, but I think you need to readjust. I'd say Miami is a tier three program recruiting cornerback and, IMO, should always be at tier two or better. We're significantly behind our two in-state rival programs at recruiting the position. That should tell you enough. We've got numbers on par with Washington and Nebraska.

Rumph just isn't good, idk what to tell you. Some things are self-evident.
Unless I misunderstand, Miami's .*8988 rating is smack in the middle of the tier 2 group or the group that you've said "have also done pretty well at recruiting corners". I would think tier three is significantly less than "pretty well".

Advertisement
Whenever you ask someone "Who has Rumph missed out on" everyone gets quiet.

No man, no one gets quiet. Patrick Surtain Jr., Tyson Campbell, Jaden Davis, John Dixon, Jarvis Brownlee, Asante Samuel Jr., CJ Henderson, Marco Wilson, James Wiggins.

Corners that Banda had to recruit because why would you put Rumph on them...Kaiir Elam.

Breh...idk what to tell you...he stinks. He's missed out on a lot. Did he have to get ALL of them? No. But, for fvcks sake, ONE and we'd be signing a different tune about the guy. He coached and knew some of these kids since they were like 12. C'mon now.

Unless I misunderstand, Miami's .*8988 rating is smack in the middle of the tier 2 group or the group that you've said "have also done pretty well at recruiting corners". I would think tier three is significantly less than "pretty well".

That would be tier three. Teams like Florida State would be a level up, and would qualify as D$'s tier 2 type teams.

If you think recruiting as well as Nebraska and Michigan State at corner is ok at Miami, idk what to tell you.

Rumph should have been fired for the CJ Henderson **** up alone
CJ *****ED UP REAL TALK. HE BALLED, BUT HE *****ED UP. IMAGINE HIM PLAYING FOR JIMMY, WOODY, BEAR OR A COUPLE OTHER HARDLINE COACHES. HE WOULD HAVE FOLDED IF HE WAS TRIPPIN OFF THAT LIL INCIDENT WITH RUMPH.

Of all his misses, that's the one I am least inclined to put on him. I may be misremembering, but I thought the story was CJ got mad and acted out after feeling disrespected at an all star game, then took offense with Diaz and Rumph when they gave him some hard coaching and told him Canes don't act out that way. Decommit came really soon after that. Regardless, CJ was flirting with UiF throughout that Spring/Summer and a second school (Michigan?).
Henderson was never coming here, the all-star game story had absolutely nothing to do with it.

CJ committed to Miami in Feb of 2016 during an early Junior day event, he would then go on to visit us a bunch with his teammates Bandy & Jobe, and visited with Latavious Brini a lot as well. By the time June/July came around the rumblings began to start up that he was considering decommitting because he had took a visit up to UF & was being heavily pursued by Randy Shannon (who was their DC at the time) & coach Torrian Gray (who was their CB's coach), he eventually wound up decommitting in the first week of October. Our staff kept chasing him around for the next few months leading up to the Army All-American game in January where that "argument" story supposedly happened. He took his OV to UF on January 20th 2017 & announced his commitment to UF on NSD in February of 2017.

People thought that he was coming back because Ariz used to tell the board that we were still in it for CJ & because he continued to visit a few times. But back in July over the summer he had already decommitted he just never announced it because he didn't want too much local backlash, when he visited UF in the summer (specifically on July 22nd) he told Shannon he was going there, his dad is also a UF fan & was pushing CJ to UF the whole time & had Choad Wilson in his ear pushing him to UF too. CJ's favorite players were **** Tabor & Quincy Wilson, he was always a UF kid, once they offered him he was always high on them.

Because he went to Columbus & committed to us early everyone thought he should've been a Miami lock & theoretically speaking he probably should have, but the reality is he never really cared for Miami as much as people thought, he visited us 20 some odd times because it was just the thing to do, literally a month after he gave us the verbal in Feb 2016 & he took an UV to UF in March. From the very beginning he was looking for a chance to get out of his commitment to us.

Advertisement
Back