$4 Million Per Year

If they are talking 4M type money seriously, then Mario cant be a serious option, though I suspect he has more support from the BOT than anyone here wants to believe. Its obvious the dude has some broad support a lot of places. Say what you will about the guy, but he's a **** of a recruiter, and was good enough to be picked by Saban despite not being a particularly stellar position coach, or a coordinator. Mario obviously has SOMETHING that a lot of people see potential in. Lets just hope its not as HC here, at least not yet.

Advertisement
You guys are nuts if you think Herman is getting4.5M from anyone. When was the last time there was a bidding war for a coach? The bigger concern is money for staff. Shelling out 4m is great but if you have $6.00 for assistants does it matter.

manny, barry, and reynolds were all caught off guard by the firing. now they have sources that say people in BOT laugh at Butch?
at the same time, matt porter was the one who got it right and he says butch is under consideration.

Did Matt tweet that? Do you have a link? I would like to have Butch for a decent salary plus a very high powered staff.

Advertisement
If they are talking 4M type money seriously, then Mario cant be a serious option, though I suspect he has more support from the BOT than anyone here wants to believe. Its obvious the dude has some broad support a lot of places. Say what you will about the guy, but he's a **** of a recruiter, and was good enough to be picked by Saban despite not being a particularly stellar position coach, or a coordinator. Mario obviously has SOMETHING that a lot of people see potential in. Lets just hope its not as HC here, at least not yet.

Derek Dooley was picked by Saban. Go jump off a cliff.

Also where does it say Miami Is spending 4m. They said upt. So it doesn't eliminate anyone even if they aren't worth it. If they decidecCristobaliI doubt he gets 4.

I think the question needs to be asked, was Golden actually TRYING to lose games to maximize his buyout $$ figure? I'm not implying he needed to TRY to be a loser.....he comes by that naturally, just thinking out loud.

Also where does it say Miami Is spending 4m. They said upt. So it doesn't eliminate anyone even if they aren't worth it. If they decidecCristobaliI doubt he gets 4.

The point was that IF they are talking that kind of money, then it sounds like they are going after a top flight coach, not looking to settle for a huge gamble like Mario. Mario is on NO ONE's list of hot coaching commodities. He only makes sense if you are going cheap.

Advertisement
SCHOOL HEAD COACH SALARY
Michigan Jim Harbaugh $7,004,000
Alabama Nick Saban $6,932,395
Ohio State Urban Meyer $5,860,000
Oklahoma Bob Stoops $5,400,000
Florida State Jimbo Fisher $5,150,000
Texas Charlie Strong $5,100,000
Texas A&M Kevin Sumlin $5,000,000
Penn State James Franklin $4,400,000
LSU Les Miles $4,300,000
Ole Miss Hugh Freeze $4,300,000
Baylor Art Briles $4,236,073
Miami ???? $4,000,000
Georgia Mark Richt $4,000,000
Auburn Gus Malzahn $4,100,000
Iowa Kirk Ferentz $4,075,000
South Carolina Steve Spurrier $4,000,000
Mississippi State Dan Mullen $4,000,000
Florida Jim McElwain $3,983,359
Arkansas Bret Bielema $3,954,166
TCU Gary Patterson $3,940,026
Missouri Gary Pinkel $3,768,889
Michigan State Mark Dantonio $3,671,520
Oklahoma State Mike Gundy $3,650,000
Tennessee Butch Jones $3,610,000
Washington Chris Petersen $3,400,000
UCLA Jim Mora $3,350,000

Manny is a ****.

Why wouldn't UM wait until the end of the season to save 3 million? No coach is leaving mid season anyway, things could have been done behind the scenes. UM has been so cheap it doesn't seem plausible based on their spending the last decade to throw away $3 million but I guess it could be. If you read Miami's press release on Hurricane Sports it says Golden relived of head coaching duties. Never said he was fired. It's possible that he won't officially be fired until 11/28/2015. Who knows really, there are many things at play that we will probably never know about.

BTW I wanted Golden fired immediately no matter the cost, just doesn't make sense based on the BOT past. Maybe things really are different now that Shalala is gone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He also said "donor" in the article.

Well that could be anyone who has given money to the school. We'll know the truth depending on who we hire.

Manny is a ****.

Why wouldn't UM wait until the end of the season to save 3 million? No coach is leaving mid season anyway, things could have been done behind the scenes. UM has been so cheap it doesn't seem plausible based on their spending the last decade to throw away $3 million but I guess it could be. If you read Miami's press release on Hurricane Sports it says Golden relived of head coaching duties. Never said he was fired. It's possible that he won't officially be fired until 11/28/2015. Who knows really, there are many things at play that we will probably never know about.

BTW I wanted Golden fired immediately no matter the cost, just doesn't make sense based on the BOT past. Maybe things really are different now that Shalala is gone.

I think the BoT intended to wait until after his buyout decreased in December, and that's what James was saying up until we suffered the worst loss in program history. Up until that point James could still say stupid **** about progress and evaluating at the end of the season, but that embarrassment couldn't be talked down and the move was made the next day.

Advertisement
Manny is a ****.

I think the BoT intended to wait until after his buyout decreased in December, and that's what James was saying up until we suffered the worst loss in program history. Up until that point James could still say stupid **** about progress and evaluating at the end of the season, but that embarrassment couldn't be talked down and the move was made the next day.

It needed to be done and they did the right thing if it did indeed cost them $3 million more. I guess I'm just skeptical of anything **** Manny says and then add in the recent history of the BOT's cheapness... But if true, the $3 mil and the $4 mil salary, it gives me hope they are becoming serious and won't hire some retread chump.

Herman and Fuentes are not worth 4 million per year...not even close.

You are worth what the market says you are worth

this. Fuente and Herman have very high market value right now. Question is, what other big time programs want them? Could they be pining for top tier FBS jobs? I guess, but they are long ways away from that - FSU, Bama, OSU, MSU, Mich, Clemson, etc all have coaches firmly entrenched. The only big time program I can them holding out for is Texas.

Next tier? USCe, USCw, MD, Miami, VT (soon), etc. USCw will probably go in another direction so that leaves Miami in a great spot to land these guys but not overpay. If you were one of these coaches, would you want to get 4-4.5m from USCe or take less and go to Miami? Not even close, imo. Yes, Herman and Fuente have the market value, but Miami represents the best opportunity for them.

I'm not worried about any other school for a coach instead of USCw (although as you pointed out, they're probably going after other guys like Hue Jackson). I rank the opening vacancies in order from my opinion from best to worse:

1. USCw
2. Miami
3. Maryland
4. USCe
5. VT
6. Illinois
Wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee & Georgia and Virginia open up.

UVA yes. The other 2? Doubtful. UT is going to win out, which means 8 wins before the bowl. They're not firing Jones. Even if Richt loses to
UF, UGA probably finishes 9-3, 8-4 at worst. UGA fans will be mad, but they won't fire Richt. London is toast, but UVA is not a threat to us.

These clowns act like Saban is some sort of deity who is able to impart his ability to lead a program via osmosis.

The best in the game is Bill Belichick. Look at all of the guys he "picked" who flamed out as HCs on their own--Weis (40 time failure), Crennel, McDaniels, Mangina. If Belichick can't make his assistants genius HCs by osmosis, then why does everyone assume that Saban can?

These clowns act like Saban is some sort of deity who is able to impart his ability to lead a program via osmosis.

The best in the game is Bill Belichick. Look at all of the guys he "picked" who flamed out as HCs on their own--Weis (40 time failure), Crennel, McDaniels, Mangina. If Belichick can't make his assistants genius HCs by osmosis, then why does everyone assume that Saban can?

Exactly. Let's just hire Matt Patricia then. Even better, I think the Lions fired Vince Lombardi's grandson today. Hire him too!

Advertisement
Back