2024 3* DE/DT Daylen Russell from Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I said "fwiw" for that very reason, agree. But at least Bluestein has seen him play full games multiple times with his own eyes. It doesn't mean he's a million dollar scout or that his word is the end. If he was, he'd be a million dollar scout. But I put that way above people who pop off without seeing the kid.

But you couple that with DPOY (that's a big ******* deal to me), other very good offers including FSU who we have to play each year, and Mario, Guidry, Joe, JT and Zo seemingly all wanting him, and that's enough to for me to maybe not have a lot of faith in the Burger King youtube brigade.

Like I said in my first response. We want our staff to be able to evaluate local kids where its hard to see it instead of losing them to L'ville, Purdue, NCST, etc. and then seeing them flourish. All those kids, many who end up in the NFL don't look like the best of prospects coming in.

This is exactly what the process looks like. Seeing what other coaches (and fans lol) can't see.
I wholeheartedly agree. If Blu says he’s legit den it’s a pretty good chance that’s he’s somewhat good! He’s not the end all be all but Blu’s Been doin it 4 a long time. BIG BIG BIG PAUSE

Advertisement
Yes, I said "fwiw" for that very reason, agree. But at least Bluestein has seen him play full games multiple times with his own eyes. It doesn't mean he's a million dollar scout or that his word is the end. If he was, he'd be a million dollar scout. But I put that way above people who pop off without seeing the kid.

But you couple that with DPOY (that's a big ******* deal to me), other very good offers including FSU who we have to play each year, and Mario, Guidry, Joe, JT and Zo seemingly all wanting him, and that's enough to for me to maybe not have a lot of faith in the Burger King youtube brigade.

Like I said in my first response. We want our staff to be able to evaluate local kids where its hard to see it instead of losing them to L'ville, Purdue, NCST, etc. and then seeing them flourish. All those kids, many who end up in the NFL don't look like the best of prospects coming in.

This is exactly what the process looks like. Seeing what other coaches (and fans lol) can't see.
Blue seems like a nice guy but I put more value on knowledgeable posters here like @gogeta4 for an objective opinion.

If they like him they like him. He doesn’t impact the top tier guys they’re after and will land. It’s just odd that they’d like him but not Capers and McGahee because none of them fit the prototypical measurables and the other two have better highlights from what we can see.

Right now, it’s somewhat of a mystery to a number of us including Lance and D$ it seems.

That means most the board is going to love his film like they loved Flagg. Now their eyes have been opened since MC first class. They done forgot how UM players looked back then. I remember everyone loving Flagg. Talking about his IQ.....I knew that was a bad sign when your IQ is the main thing people talk about. That's like saying he's a possession wr....meaning he's slow. It's just a nice way of saying he's slow but we will call him a rangy possession wr. I'm thinking to myself ok that's probably a jag.

Except not a lot of us like this guys film compared to us liking Flagg's. Most of us thought Flagg should've been a guy who is just starting to compete for the job this year, not starting his sophomore year. But there was 0 depth in front of the guy and he got exposed. That was the previous staff's mistake.

THIS staff shouldn't be recruiting guys who take 3-4 years to develop outside of DT and Oline.

@RVACane he does fit one thing we've been recruiting heavily, multi-sport athletes. Participates in track and field.

Low-key had a pretty beast 2022. I can see how he would win DPOY with this production.

1685125852340.png

2nd in shotput back in February at the Spartan Invitational.

1685126709270.png

Last edited:
Whys everyone tripping on this kid? If the staff likes him.. if it helps the Columbus ties.. whatever. It can't be worth this thread being at the top of the board every day. I hope he comes here and balls out. Let the kid play his senior year and then create an informed opinion.

Advertisement
Larry Blustein loves him, apparently fwiw.

I love this place. The same guys who ***** each year about us missing on the lightly recruited Dade 3-stars with warts that end up blowing up at a lower-5 P5 school instead of Miami are the same guys who are complaining about Miami taking a high-character moderately recruited 3-star from here that was Dade County Defensive Player of the Year on the field as a junior, and has offers from Miami, FSU, L'ville, WVU, and Nebraska. Because, you know, they didn't like what they saw on youtube while they were dropping a deuce at Burger King yesterday.

CIS, never change.
Just thinking about eating at Burger King makes me want to defecate.

Blue seems like a nice guy but I put more value on knowledgeable posters here like @gogeta4 for an objective opinion.

If they like him they like him. He doesn’t impact the top tier guys they’re after and will land. It’s just odd that they’d like him but not Capers and McGahee because none of them fit the prototypical measurables and the other two have better highlights from what we can see.

Right now, it’s somewhat of a mystery to a number of us including Lance and D$ it seems.
Capers and McGahee project as 3/4 outside backers. That’s why we aren’t actively recruiting them. Couple that with the fact Capers has no interest in Miami at all. It’s not that hard to understand.

With few exceptions, almost every single on of those “low ranked” prospects that went elsewhere and flourished (NFL) were labeled as “takes” here BEFORE they committed some place else and the board *****ed about missing out. At the very least by those who watch film and we consider to be in the know did.

Now it’s the complete opposite. Everyone who has taken the time to watch his film all say he’s not a take, including the resident experts. Not because of rankings or measurements but because nothing on his tape shows he’s a take. Now he can be that one rare prospect who decided to keep almost all of his WOW plays out of his highlight reel and save it for his complete tape but that’s very unlikely.

I don’t know what goes into selecting DPOY, the politics behind it or who even votes for it so I don’t know why he was the winner but atleast his “highlight reel” does not justify it. As for his “P5 offers” we are the only one I know of who is not simultaneously trying to land one of his other teammates. Maybe they view him as a way to land those guys maybe not but in any event LOU, WV and Nebraska are not the schools I care to be recruiting with.

At the end of the day, Mario (or Manny, Richt or Golden) are going to take whoever they want. Whether I and the rest of the YouTube brigade critique it or those who blindly follow love it.

Reality is what we say here has zero bearing on the outcome but it’s a recruiting board and we discuss prospects so until either they shut it down or prevent comments that’s what we do. Speaking for myself, If he ends up in this class I will root like **** for him daily to succeed and prove me the dumbass that I am.

Capers and McGahee project as 3/4 outside backers. That’s why we aren’t actively recruiting them. Couple that with the fact Capers has no interest in Miami at all. It’s not that hard to understand.
None of them have the body types we were told are prototypes for this staff at theirs respective position groups.

Advertisement
It is interesting though that we currently only have one blue chip player in the 2024 class (Robinson). By comparison, Cristobals Oregon replacement, Lanning has 11 blue chips already committed.

Yet everyone is saying not to worry because it's early. Thats not much of a answer. St[BGCOLOR=initial]range that other top schools like have no problem revealing they have a bunch of blue chips committed. Seems like that would attract other top talent. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]It looks like Cristobal is banking heavily on Highsmiths evals, and those don't align with 247 rankings. So we could end up with a 2024 class ranked in the mid teens. I'm not saying the "3 star Hidden Gems" plan is absolutely doomed to failure, but I don't think that is what folks expected (well, the slurpers anyways) when Cristobal got hired. [/BGCOLOR]
It is interesting though that we currently only have one blue chip player in the 2024 class (Robinson). By comparison, Cristobals Oregon replacement, Lanning has 11 blue chips already committed.

Yet everyone is saying not to worry because it's early. Thats not much of a answer. St[BGCOLOR=initial]range that other top schools like have no problem revealing they have a bunch of blue chips committed. Seems like that would attract other top talent. [/BGCOLOR]

[BGCOLOR=initial]It looks like Cristobal is banking heavily on Highsmiths evals, and those don't align with 247 rankings. So we could end up with a 2024 class ranked in the mid teens. I'm not saying the "3 star Hidden Gems" plan is absolutely doomed to failure, but I don't think that is what folks expected (well, the slurpers anyways) when Cristobal got hired. [/BGCOLOR]
Terrible take.

Whys everyone tripping on this kid? If the staff likes him.. if it helps the Columbus ties.. whatever. It can't be worth this thread being at the top of the board every day. I hope he comes here and balls out. Let the kid play his senior year and then create an informed opinion.
It is pretty crazy this has made it 13 pages. Signing day is so far away things usually work themselves out by then.

Advertisement
Neither does Vincent Shavers, but he’s committed.
Yup I guess they like him. There was mention by an insider on another board about this having to do with politics in a down year but I still find that somewhat hard to believe. I’d guess that they legit like him. So then the prototype thing is an ideal but not a set in stone type of thing.

Yup I guess they like him. There’s was mention by an insider on another board about this having to do with politics in a down year but I still find that somewhat hard to believe. I’d guess that they legit like him. So then the prototype thing is an ideal but not a set in stone type of thing.
You can look at the kids they are recruiting and see the prototype. But, there are always exceptions to the rule. Especially when you are looking for football players. Politics? Lol. They’ve been recruiting him since last year. They like him.

You can look at the kids they are recruiting and see the prototype. But, there are always exceptions to the rule. Especially when you are looking for football players. Politics? Lol. They’ve been recruiting him since last year. They like him.
Fair enough. It won’t matter given the players I think they could land. I’ve been told by people who have some contacts as well - IIRC you do too - that they legit like him for the role they have in mind as best I can interpret it - I’ll be welcoming him tomorrow and pulling for him to succeed, assuming he commits.

Advertisement
Larry Blustein loves him, apparently fwiw.

I love this place. The same guys who ***** each year about us missing on the lightly recruited Dade 3-stars with warts that end up blowing up at a lower-5 P5 school instead of Miami are the same guys who are complaining about Miami taking a high-character moderately recruited 3-star from here that was Dade County Defensive Player of the Year on the field as a junior, and has offers from Miami, FSU, L'ville, WVU, and Nebraska. Because, you know, they didn't like what they saw on youtube while they were dropping a deuce at Burger King yesterday.

CIS, never change.

Respect first off.

I'm down with the DDPOY, that's a **** good accolade. Still, that doesn't always translate to the next level.

Those offers, while they aren't bad, they aren't that great either. They're mostly all schools at the same level as us. Most are striving to get back to good and beyond.

Where are the bigger offers? That's what I think most are getting at. Many have been sold on the idea that we'll have a kickass DL class and we need one for sure. You're a very good poster, so I'm preaching to the choir on most of this.

I don't have an issue with the offer. It's consistent with where we're at in the college landscape. Sure, we want to get back towards our past glory, it's a step at a time. Some don't have that patience and just think we can cherry pick elite players like we're someone special. We aren't there yet and maybe we show serious momentum this fall that opens other doors.

There's also the question of size, weight, explosiveness, etc. Does he meet those expectations, what we've been told we're looking at? I don't know, that's all over the place.

It's still early, we'll see what he looks like in the fall, see how we do on the field, and assess where we're at with other recruits. Someone on the staff wants to give him a go today, maybe they all do. Six months from now, maybe the story changes or he shows much more and everyone in the land wants him.

Nothing wrong with opinions. This wasn't all directed at you either.

I almost forgot to say that Larry loves everyone. He's on **** of a good guy I've met and talked to multiple times even though it's been years. He's such an ambassador and cheerleader (I don't say that in a bad way, completely positive) for so many S. FL kids, most of which we've never heard of. He's helped get kids scholarships from the smallest to the biggest football factories in the land. It's always a nice endorsement, but sometimes it's to be taken with a grain of sand. He simply doesn't say bad things about kids. Not that there's anything bad to be said here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back