2024 3* DE/DT Daylen Russell from Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue seems like a nice guy but I put more value on knowledgeable posters here like @gogeta4 for an objective opinion.

If they like him they like him. He doesn’t impact the top tier guys they’re after and will land. It’s just odd that they’d like him but not Capers and McGahee because none of them fit the prototypical measurables and the other two have better highlights from what we can see.

Right now, it’s somewhat of a mystery to a number of us including Lance and D$ it seems.

You can't base much off of highlights. Maybe the others take plays off, series off, etc while this guy grinds all night long. They're all three on the same team so you've gotta ask, why did he get DDPOY versus them?

It's an odd situation with so many differences of opinions, angles, various contradictory stats, etc. Someone would have to take a deep dive into the film room and watch some games to truly assess.

Capers, coaches say we don't have him that high, but maybe he doesn't have us that high either. Interest isn't a one way street. McGahee, just on his dad alone, he should be a take since he can play. Maybe him and pops want to see what we'll do come fall or maybe they'd jump on board right away. My guess, since he's been through all this, pops wants him to take his time, be open, etc.

Advertisement
You can't base much off of highlights. Maybe the others take plays off, series off, etc while this guy grinds all night long. They're all three on the same team so you've gotta ask, why did he get DDPOY versus them?

It's an odd situation with so many differences of opinions, angles, various contradictory stats, etc. Someone would have to take a deep dive into the film room and watch some games to truly assess.

Capers, coaches say we don't have him that high, but maybe he doesn't have us that high either. Interest isn't a one way street. McGahee, just on his dad alone, he should be a take since he can play. Maybe him and pops want to see what we'll do come fall or maybe they'd jump on board right away. My guess, since he's been through all this, pops wants him to take his time, be open, etc.
100% agree on why he won it and not them from the same school being a valid point but also there could be some politics involved to help this guy as the other two have more hype not that it’s crazy hype. I really don’t know. Maybe he’s low key that good and every one else is sleeping but usually that’s not the case.

If they like Russell that’s fine. They have a role in mind. I wasn’t even bothered by the Luis Cristobal thing but I understand that situation. This one I don’t but it’s fine if they’re landing the elite level of players they’re mostly after.

Capers seems like a 2 way street.

I’m actually low key bothered by the McGahee thing on the surface but I haven’t followed the recruitment and player to have an opinion beyond that of a nostalgic fan.

At the end of the day, if we land 4-5 blue chip DLs on top of him, including one or two 5* guys, I doubt any true fan will give a solitary **** about this take.

I agree, but I'm not falling for all of that talk until it actually happens. We hear it every year and we now have everything but winning on the field in place. We can't **** the bed this year on the field of play.

Advertisement
There’ll be a couple unreasonable ones but none really if they’re being objective.
IMG_0152.gif

Respect first off.

I'm down with the DDPOY, that's a **** good accolade. Still, that doesn't always translate to the next level.

Those offers, while they aren't bad, they aren't that great either. They're mostly all schools at the same level as us. Most are striving to get back to good and beyond.

Where are the bigger offers? That's what I think most are getting at. Many have been sold on the idea that we'll have a kickass DL class and we need one for sure. You're a very good poster, so I'm preaching to the choir on most of this.

I don't have an issue with the offer. It's consistent with where we're at in the college landscape. Sure, we want to get back towards our past glory, it's a step at a time. Some don't have that patience and just think we can cherry pick elite players like we're someone special. We aren't there yet and maybe we show serious momentum this fall that opens other doors.

There's also the question of size, weight, explosiveness, etc. Does he meet those expectations, what we've been told we're looking at? I don't know, that's all over the place.

It's still early, we'll see what he looks like in the fall, see how we do on the field, and assess where we're at with other recruits. Someone on the staff wants to give him a go today, maybe they all do. Six months from now, maybe the story changes or he shows much more and everyone in the land wants him.

Nothing wrong with opinions. This wasn't all directed at you either.

I almost forgot to say that Larry loves everyone. He's on **** of a good guy I've met and talked to multiple times even though it's been years. He's such an ambassador and cheerleader (I don't say that in a bad way, completely positive) for so many S. FL kids, most of which we've never heard of. He's helped get kids scholarships from the smallest to the biggest football factories in the land. It's always a nice endorsement, but sometimes it's to be taken with a grain of sand. He simply doesn't say bad things about kids. Not that there's anything bad to be said here.

Congratulations Love GIF by FeddyFastRacing

Werd. So I think I answered a lot of what you wrote already above. I qualified the Larry stuff initially with "fwiw" and in a later post (that maybe you hadn't gotten to yet) I pointed out again that I qualified it. I get it. I would point out that while Larry rarely has anything negative to say about kids, he will often just decline to discuss one rather than falsely endorse them. He also told Donno off air that he thinks this kid is an excellent football player, not on the spot. But then again, we already know he is. He made plays. But like I said, I have a lot more faith in Larry than with the #BKD crowd who haven't seen the kid and are ripping him and the staff for it.

But if you discount Larry, then how about our staff who's jobs, careers, legacies and burning desire to succeed... how about their evals? One of the best recruiters in the world and an NFL Player Personnel VP. Not good enough? No, let's rag, because, you know, we hate ourselves. How about FSU, who we play every year and who is recruiting very well right now? Or Matt Rhule who built Baylor by making great under the radar evals. Etc. It's not like he doesn't have some interesting offers.

As for the offers, again, we all lament the local underrated or overlooked or tough to project kids that get away and flourished at Vanderbilt, PITT, GT, NCST, L'Ville and on and on. You think those kids picked their schools over Alabama and OSU? LOL. Y'all can't have your cake and eat it too. This is EXACTLY what its supposed to look like. A kid that is a bit tough to evaluate, where most coaches can't see it (let alone the fans lol) who doesn't have all the big offers, but is local and productive. A kid who balls. With heart. And character. And work ethic. We have Mario, Zo, Guidry, LT, coach Joe and a swarm of analysts and recruiting staff who's job it is to identify the kids that are going to blossom later, that the big dogs are overlooking. Now add Mario and Zo's track record, and maybe everyone should have confidence, no?

Ask @DMoney to repost his list of his All-SFL team or the SFL guys who got drafted and look at how many of them had no big offers coming out. This is what it looks like to nail these evals. We can't demand that UM identify and take the local kids that end up going from a mid program to the NFL and also question when they do find them because the kid doesn't fit the obvious 4* type profile as a HS JR. It's completely disingenuous bull****. You can't have your cake and eat it too and ***** about it on the way in and out.

I would also say a lot of people popped off without even seeing his stats, which were legit. As far as the DPOTY (as a JR, no less!) thing, it has validity. It's not absolute, plenty of athletes excel on one level, but their talents don't translate to the next. But as my home girl Martha used to say back on the skreets of CT... it's a good thing. This kid was productive as ****. If you're looking for "why," it's another positive piece of the puzzle. If he's a poor man's Bain, another kid who didn't have prototypical size but was very productive, then stick a needle in my arm and fill me with as much of it as you can.

I'll tell you what else, you need some scrappers. Some work ethic guys in each class. Some hungry mother ****ers who haven't had 247 etc blowing smoke up their asses telling them they are gods gift for three years. You need some dogs to make sure the 4 and 5 star kids know there is someone ready to outwork them. I don't want an all-star roster. Look at what happened with TAMU. Even Bama, OSU, UGA etc usually balance off their classes with some guys like this. Guys that will die out there. Guys who aren't already thinking about the draft. Those are the guys who also probably bring some stability to a roster in this portal/NIL age. Top P5 football programs are each billion dollar companies with cutthroat comp. Mario KILLS himself recruiting 365. You really think he's just like, whatever take the mid kid in May? THINK. There are a lot of levels to this ****, its not as linear as people think it is. We need to know what we don't know.

We have a LOT of momentum at DL. If Mario, Zo, Guidry, LT, coach Joe want this guy, then there is a reason and I'm good. Not that me or anyone else here being good with it or not matters one little ****.

The end. Also I had four bushwackers at dinner.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree, but I'm not falling for all of that talk until it actually happens. We hear it every year and we now have everything but winning on the field in place. We can't **** the bed this year on the field of play.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. My comment is more aimed at the overreaction to this apparent take in May. Still plenty of time to bring in blue chips, and plenty of time to **** it (or build it) up on the field.

Eh… Not caving to the brash bravado and bluster. I’m not afraid of being wrong and I don’t care about “I told ya so’ing” others here if I’m right.

I’ll welcome him if he commits and pull for his success. We’ll see in 3-4 years if this guy was a hidden gem our brilliant staff identified and developed or Just. Another. Guy.

There’s bigger fish to fry.

Advertisement
Eh… Not caving to the brash bravado and bluster. I’m not afraid of being wrong and I don’t care about “I told ya so’ing” others here if I’m right.

I’ll welcome him if he commits and pull for his success. We’ll see in 3-4 years if this guy was a hidden gem our brilliant staff identified and developed or Just. Another. Guy.
I think they see this guy as a similar player as Franklin and he’s a guy that ends up being a senior starter. We’ve eventually got to stop relying on underclassmen in the trenches.

I think they see this guy as a similar player as Franklin and he’s a guy that ends up being a senior starter. We’ve eventually got to stop relying on underclassmen in the trenches.
Franklin??? Help me man, I’m old.

Franklin??? Help me man, I’m old.
Kamarion Franklin.

Franklin is obviously bigger, but I think they see a similar playing style. I think they sell Kamarion on early PT and Russell is being taken as the guy who replaces a guy like Kamarion in 3-4 years. At that point we’d have a grown man who’s developed in the system as a 4th or 5th year senior.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Congratulations Love GIF by FeddyFastRacing

Werd. So I think I answered a lot of what you wrote already above. I qualified the Larry stuff initially with "fwiw" and in a later post (that maybe you hadn't gotten to yet) I pointed out again that I qualified it. I get it. I would point out that while Larry rarely has anything negative to say about kids, he will often just decline to discuss one rather than falsely endorse them. He also told Donno off air that he thinks this kid is an excellent football player, not on the spot. But then again, we already know he is. He made plays. But like I said, I have a lot more faith in Larry than with the #BKD crowd who haven't seen the kid and are ripping him and the staff for it.

But if you discount Larry, then how about our staff who's jobs, careers, legacies and burning desire to succeed... how about their evals? One of the best recruiters in the world and an NFL Player Personnel VP. Not good enough? No, let's rag, because, you know, we hate ourselves. How about FSU, who we play every year and who is recruiting very well right now? Or Matt Rhule who built Baylor by making great under the radar evals. Etc. It's not like he doesn't have some interesting offers.

As for the offers, again, we all lament the local underrated or overlooked or tough to project kids that get away and flourished at Vanderbilt, PITT, GT, NCST, L'Ville and on and on. You think those kids picked their schools over Alabama and OSU? LOL. Y'all can't have your cake and eat it too. This is EXACTLY what its supposed to look like. A kid that is a bit tough to evaluate, where most coaches can't see it (let alone the fans lol) who doesn't have all the big offers, but is local and productive. A kid who balls. With heart. And character. And work ethic. We have Mario, Zo, Guidry, LT, coach Joe and a swarm of analysts and recruiting staff who's job it is to identify the kids that are going to blossom later, that the big dogs are overlooking. Now add Mario and Zo's track record, and maybe everyone should have confidence, no?

Ask @DMoney to repost his list of his All-SFL team or the SFL guys who got drafted and look at how many of them had no big offers coming out. This is what it looks like to nail these evals. We can't demand that UM identify and take the local kids that end up going from a mid program to the NFL and also question when they do find them because the kid doesn't fit the obvious 4* type profile as a HS JR. It's completely disingenuous bull****. You can't have your cake and eat it too and ***** about it on the way in and out.

I would also say a lot of people popped off without even seeing his stats, which were legit. As far as the DPOTY (as a JR, no less!) thing, it has validity. It's not absolute, plenty of athletes excel on one level, but their talents don't translate to the next. But as my home girl Martha used to say back on the skreets of CT... it's a good thing. This kid was productive as ****. If you're looking for "why," it's another positive piece of the puzzle. If he's a poor man's Bain, another kid who didn't have prototypical size but was very productive, then stick a needle in my arm and fill me with as much of it as you can.

I'll tell you what else, you need some scrappers. Some worth ethic guys in each class. Some hungry mother ****ers who haven't had 247 etc blowing smoke up their asses telling them they are gods gift for three years. You need some dogs to make sure the 4 and 5 star kids know there is someone ready to outwork them. I don't want an all-star roster. Look at what happened with TAMU. Even Bama, OSU, UGA etc sually balance off their classes with some guys like this. Guys that will die out there. Guys who aren't already thinking about the draft. Those are the guys who also probably bring some stability to a roster in this portal/NIL age. Top P5 football programs are each billion dollar companies with cutthroat comp. Mario KILLS himself recruiting 365. You really think he's just like, whatever take the mid kid in May? THINK. There are a lot of levels to this ****, its not as linear as people think it is. We need to know what we don't know.

We have a LOT of momentum at DL. If Mario, Zo, Guidry, LT, coach Joe want this guy, then there is a reason and I'm good. Not that me or anyone else here being good with it or not matters one little ****.

The end. Also I had four bushwackers at dinner.
Can you give me the cliff notes on the novel you posted?

Kamarion Franklin.

Franklin is obviously bigger, but I think they see a similar playing style. I think they sell Kamarion on early PT and Russell is being taken as the guy who replaces a guy like Kamarion in 3-4 years. At that point we’d have a grown who’s developed in the system as a 4th or 5th year senior.
I would be very happy with that. Franklin is a monster recruit and getting both would be a big win. Either this guy develops like they hope or they recruit over him down the road.

Can you give me the cliff notes on the novel you posted?
I wish I could do it in gif-speak like I did to that imurloon dude but I don’t think it would be as interesting and I don’t want Cryptical to be mad at me. Lol

He’s basically trusting the staff with Highsmith and his background to make these evaluations based on traits they see not what the recruiting nerds see or say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back