2024 3* DE/DT Daylen Russell from Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except this isn’t some unknown kid playing at some unknown school in a poduck town. He’s the DPOY in Dade County playing on a State Championship team with atleast 4 other P5 prospects on the same DL. Georgia, Bama and every other school knows who he is. They’re just not interested.

And what if he's still growing and ascending coming off DPOY in Dade? How many times has a So Fl kid really taken off his senior year only for us to lose out because 1. We prioritized higher profiles prospects we had no shot at landing and 2. We never showed any interest until the 11th hour. The big time programs still miss on literally hundreds, thousands of kids that get drafted. Let's not just ride their coattails, albeit a similar offer sheet is still a good indicator of player quality, but not the end all be all. We should have local advantages like this being able to see more of these prospects more often.

I'm not advocating for or against the take. Just a wait and see moment - its May. If the kid just really sucks this season we replace him it's not a big deal.

Edit: And just touching back on his current size - since that appears to be the main issue with a lot of us here. Literally every recruiting site from hudl, max prep, 247, rivals, on3 et al list him at different heights and weights - and not just a little bit differently - several inches or 20+ lb differences . I don't think anyone has any current measurements. On3 lists him at 6'3" 255. If that's more accurate I don't think a lot of people would have such an issue with this early take.

Last edited:
Advertisement
TBH we've taken worse players. If JT sees something in him that he likes and can develop...especially taking one flyer on THIS KID...I don't mind. All 4 and 5 stars are not going to sign here seeing the talent being recruited and this cycle with OL is proving that. Kid may turn into a very serviceable backup player in 2 years with the ammunition we're recruiting on the DL

We've watched kids we've ignored then have good senior years and fairly ignore our late offers go on to be successful elsewhere. That needs to stop

And what if he's still growing and ascending coming off DPOY in Dade? How many times has a So Fl kid really taken off his senior year only for us to lose out because 1. We prioritized higher profiles prospects we had no shot at landing and 2. We never showed any interest until the 11th hour. The big time programs still miss on literally hundreds, thousands of kids that get drafted. Let's not just ride their coattails, albeit a similar offer sheet is still a good indicator of player quality, but not the end all be all. We should have local advantages like this being able to see more of these prospects more often.

I'm not advocating for or against the take. Just a wait and see moment - its May. If the kid just really sucks this season we replace him it's not a big deal.

Edit: And just touching back on his current size - since that appears to be the main issue with a lot of us here. Literally every recruiting site from hudl, max prep, 247, rivals, on3 et al list him at different heights and weights - and not just a little bit differently - several inches or 20+ lb differences . I don't think anyone has any current measurements. On3 lists him at 6'3" 255. If that's more accurate I don't think a lot of people would have such an issue with this early take.
6’3” 255 > 6’1” 230 or so. The highlights still weren’t anything special so it really doesn’t make sense to me but whatever. I know we’ll be good at the top end.

It’s more than just his disputed size for anyone who has watched his film. Honestly the only thing more baffling than him being a take for UM is that he won DPOY in Dade County with that “highlight” film.

Advertisement
It’s more than just his disputed size for anyone who has watched his film. Honestly the only thing more baffling than him being a take for UM is that he won DPOY in Dade County with that “highlight” film.

Yeah the film isn’t great. You also don’t win DPOY looking like that….I really don’t know what to make of it.

6’3” 255 > 6’1” 230 or so. The highlights still weren’t anything special so it really doesn’t make sense to me but whatever. I know we’ll be good at the top end.

No disputing the tape. But a lot of the comments to this point are mentioning body types we’re recruiting.

Yeah, and that’s why we have been terrible for the vast majority of the last 2 decades.
I said one...I didn't say multiple kids. I said the defensive MVP of Dade County. Not to mention how we got here as well was inept coaching hires and player development. What reason were kids coming here for? **** sure wasn't to be made difference makers. I'm for taking one kid who most of us don't see much in that a HOF sees something in to mold. I can live with that...we'll get our fair share of blue chippers going forward

They like him. Like I said, they see him as a SDE, who can set an edge, play 5T with his long arms, produces on field, absolutely great mind set.

Also, I reached out to people and got “he’s bigger than listed” in reply.

Most likely he will be seen as a Chantz Williams type if he comes here, who is strong, long, but not super bendy.
Trust JT I guess. Thanks.

Advertisement
Also interesting take with the 2 other guys on that same defense. I’d take him over Stephenson but Capers has grown into a SDE. Would have rather banked on Capers athleticism and him figuring out a new position if we’re only taking one Columbus kid.

Advertisement
Also interesting take with the 2 other guys on that same defense. I’d take him over Stephenson but Capers has grown into a SDE. Would have rather banked on Capers athleticism and him figuring out a new position if we’re only taking one Columbus kid.
That’s what we were saying essentially. If you’re not taking the body type we were told, why would you take this guy over pressing for Capers or McGahee on the same team?

They either think this guy’s gonna blow up for whatever reason or there’s just some other play we’re not aware of.

Advertisement
Here’s the thing that immediately comes to mind to demonstrate what we’ve been talking about.

The staff has made known that they were recruiting certain body types and with that - traits and abilities. Last year, we had a crazy OL class with two 5 stars. When they went for a developmental kid, they went with Frankie Tinilau. They got Kinsler too, and Anez the class before that. All have body types and traits for what they’re trying to do here and what they’ve established as the standard of sorts. Those guys totally make sense.

This kid does not match any of that at DL like those guys did at OL. That’s what I don’t get. That’s what doesn’t make sense. And with mismatched body types, why not McGahee and Capers from the same school???

A couple of people have alluded to something else there that we’re not seeing. “Good culture kid” isn’t enough for me. Sorry, we need an influx of talent. Corey Flagg is a good culture kid. And Corey had better highlights than this guy coming out of high school.
Signing and playing too many “good culture” kids will have ur *** in the unemployment line.

I am digging into this one more. I know we like him.

One thing about his highlight, because I had similar thoughts to most of you: it appears that it goes game-by-game. I hate when players do that. Most highlights put the best plays first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back