2024 3* DE/DT Daylen Russell from Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the expectation is this kid commits to us on 5/27 when he is set to commit.

I really don’t get this one….
John Travolta Party GIF

Advertisement
I’m in complete agreement. It’s an odd take…well if we actually take him right? It hasn’t happened yet so who knows
Here’s the thing that immediately comes to mind to demonstrate what we’ve been talking about.

The staff has made known that they were recruiting certain body types and with that - traits and abilities. Last year, we had a crazy OL class with two 5 stars. When they went for a developmental kid, they went with Frankie Tinilau. They got Kinsler too, and Anez the class before that. All have body types and traits for what they’re trying to do here and what they’ve established as the standard of sorts. Those guys totally make sense.

This kid does not match any of that at DL like those guys did at OL. That’s what I don’t get. That’s what doesn’t make sense. And with mismatched body types, why not McGahee and Capers from the same school???

A couple of people have alluded to something else there that we’re not seeing. “Good culture kid” isn’t enough for me. Sorry, we need an influx of talent. Corey Flagg is a good culture kid. And Corey had better highlights than this guy coming out of high school.

Advertisement
Was texting with someone in the program and they like him. Think he’s a character type. Run setting edge, shift inside on passing downs.

He’s going to commit here I’m told.

I watched his film and did not see a take. Not sure what I’m missing, but it’s clearly something because Jason Taylor knows more than me.

Wonder if this is a “make sure we have a nice depth player in the boat and raise the floor” type take.

This person also expects a top-10 class for Miami when it’s all done.

My man I know you are just the messenger but shiet yeah we need better than a top 10 class …

Was texting with someone in the program and they like him. Think he’s a character type. Run setting edge, shift inside on passing downs.

I watched his film and did not see a take. Not sure what I’m missing, but it’s clearly something because Jason Taylor knows more than me.

Wonder if this is a “make sure we have a nice depth player in the boat and raise the floor” type take.

Bro why not just save his spot for later in the cycle I’m sure he’ll jump on the offer in February if he’s still needed but were wasting a spot on this guy imo

A lot of overreaction and negativity on here and yet no one can even confirm his current size and weight.

If he committed after all the studs had jumped in the boat you’d all be fine with a depth add.

The one thing Mario has proven he can do is recruit. We’ll be fine on the DLINE.

Advertisement
To add to the “what the heck do I know” of the last two posts, I really liked Gore on tape. He wrecked the best competition he played and has a motor that is among the best you’ll see.

Then he goes out and looks like a walk-on in the Spring game.
This guy has a very similar build to Gore also

I hate to be that guy but highlight tape was a little underwhelming. He does not look big enough to play tackle, nor fast and athletic enough to play end. He looks like a “tweener”. We are not seeing something the coaching staff is seeing….I hope.

Did you get any indication maybe that they liked what they saw in practice/scrimmages? IIRC we had Shavers on the radar and Taylor saw him practice/scrimmage and he said “take this kid now”

Maybe the kid hit a spurt we won’t know until the season. His height seems all over from 6’0”-6’3”. Wondering what his real measurements are right now. I’ll be very impressed by this if we get the kid this early and he starts blowing up.

I’m not going to whine about it though. It’s May and if the kid isn’t very good we can respectfully push him to another school between now and December. As long as what Gaby’s said is true and this does not affect taking any DL we are after.

Last edited:
Maybe one of our insiders can chime in on what the staff sees? This one is kind of a head scratcher.

Advertisement
Maybe one of our insiders can chime in on what the staff sees? This one is kind of a head scratcher.
They like him. Like I said, they see him as a SDE, who can set an edge, play 5T with his long arms, produces on field, absolutely great mind set.

Also, I reached out to people and got “he’s bigger than listed” in reply.

Most likely he will be seen as a Chantz Williams type if he comes here, who is strong, long, but not super bendy.

Advertisement
A lot of overreaction and negativity on here and yet no one can even confirm his current size and weight.

If he committed after all the studs had jumped in the boat you’d all be fine with a depth add.

The one thing Mario has proven he can do is recruit. We’ll be fine on the DLINE.
Based on what Gaby said his height and weight are, that doesn’t line up with the body types we’re told they’re after. His highlights weren’t special either so it’s actually a mystery. We know Mario’s landing big time recruits on the DL. But this guy doesn’t makes sense developmentally - so that’s the part we’re trying to understand.

Based on what Gaby said his height and weight are, that doesn’t line up with the body types we’re told they’re after. His highlights weren’t special either so it’s actually a mystery. We know Mario’s landing big time recruits on the DL. But this guy doesn’t makes sense developmentally - so that’s the part we’re trying to understand.

Let’s just wait and see man. Gaby says he looks like the listed measurements and Lance just said a staff member told him he’s bigger than listed.

I’m just going to see how it all plays out.

Just a general comment, the recruiting we’re seeing is very different than the past. Lots of actual scouting going on. We’ve been the first major offer of several kids before BAMA or a UGA comes looking.

I like it a lot, but it leads to situations like this that the fans don’t see. The kid may flop, but if he doesn’t I’ll be very impressed by Zo and Co.

Let’s just wait and see man. Gaby says he looks like the listed measurements and Lance just said a staff member told him he’s bigger than listed.

I’m just going to see how it all plays out.

Just a general comment, the recruiting we’re seeing is very different than the past. Lots of actual scouting going on. We’ve been the first major offer of several kids before BAMA or a UGA comes looking.

I like it a lot, but it leads to situations like this that the fans don’t see. The kid may flop, but if he doesn’t I’ll be very impressed by Zo and Co.
Except this isn’t some unknown kid playing at some unknown school in a poduck town. He’s the DPOY in Dade County playing on a State Championship team with atleast 4 other P5 prospects on the same DL. Georgia, Bama and every other school knows who he is. They’re just not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back