Kamarion Franklin

That doesn’t include:

David Stone
TA Cunningham
LJ McCray
TJ Lindsey
Alex January
Jayden Jackson

We are either taking more than 4 DTs or we don’t have the traction with as many guys as the board thinks it does.

The position is starved for talent.

They’ll take as many as they can from that list of guys.

There’s a mix of stuff happening to me but maybe I’m naive

1. We aren’t gonna land everyone. We will however land a few top tier talents

2. We need all the DL we can get

3. I don’t think this kid has anything to do with the others. Maybe it’s naive but we wouldn’t take him now at this point before all of the visits. Timing wise it makes more sense that we already wanted him than somehow panicking that we are missing out on people.
Forget the top tier for a moment, the 4 lowest regarded guys on that list all have better physical traits and/or tape. Go look at everyone else’s offer list compared to this kid. I don’t know his strength numbers but his film doesn’t show elite speed for his size. I know he has good HS production but only way this is an ok take is if we’re taking more than 4 or the 3 top guys want in and it scared everyone else away.

I may be way way off here...But is this an olive branch to Columbus for possible bad feelings regarding Stephenson, Mcgahee, Capers lack of interest from UM?

I mean lets face it...UM obviously sees those 3 kids (Capers possible exception) MUCH differently than some of the sites. They have McGahee wayyyy overrated for instance.

Last edited:
There’s a mix of stuff happening to me but maybe I’m naive

1. We aren’t gonna land everyone. We will however land a few top tier talents

2. We need all the DL we can get

3. I don’t think this kid has anything to do with the others. Maybe it’s naive but we wouldn’t take him now at this point before all of the visits. Timing wise it makes more sense that we already wanted him than somehow panicking that we are missing out on people.

FWIW Gaby said this kid has nothing to do with the others.

Russell would not impact their approach to recruiting the defensive line at all. I get everyone’s points but this is a Columbus kid they like who has a strong mental make up, will come in and work hard, do all the right things, develop, and let’s see what happens in a few years down the line.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Gaby says he is the “235lb range” and closer to 6’1.

whatever, if JT wants him then lets go.
Really?.I remember when his name first popped up and he was listed at 6-1 235 there was an update at one of the recruiting sites where they said he had grown to 6-3 255.Since kids usually lie about their size I was hoping he was at least 6-2 but man 6-1 235 is concerning.

The position is starved for talent.

They’ll take as many as they can from that list of guys.

Doesn’t matter. When you start talking depth charts, the number of DTs on the field is typically 2. So, I think we can land at least two studs. The third will have to determine whether he wants to commit with two fellow DTs for PT or go elsewhere that isn’t signing 3 DTs. The third stud DT is possible if he’s convinced he can be a swing DE/DT type. Anyway, JMO.

Hopefully the spin is that all of them have a different skill set which means they’ll all fit in differently into the scheme.

Doesn’t matter. When you start talking depth charts, the number of DTs on the field is typically 2. So, I think we can land at least two studs. The third will have to determine whether he wants to commit with two fellow DTs for PT or go elsewhere that isn’t signing 3 DTs. The third stud DT is possible if he’s convinced he can be a swing DE/DT type. Anyway, JMO.

Hopefully the spin is that all of them have a different skill set which means they’ll all fit in differently into the scheme.

That’s why I said take, not get.

We already have OVs setup with:

Artavius Jones
Kendall Jackson
Justin Scott
Jericho Johnson
Aydin Breland
Kamarion Franklin

That doesn’t include:

David Stone
TA Cunningham
LJ McCray
TJ Lindsey
Alex January
Jayden Jackson

We are either taking more than 4 DTs or we don’t have the traction with as many guys as the board thinks it does.
I was thinking 4 DTs is the magic number we take

Advertisement
We already have OVs setup with:

Artavius Jones
Kendall Jackson
Justin Scott
Jericho Johnson
Aydin Breland
Kamarion Franklin

That doesn’t include:

David Stone
TA Cunningham
LJ McCray
TJ Lindsey
Alex January
Jayden Jackson

It’s a lot of great players listed. I don’t get this move… Does the staff not feel as good as we think with these guys?

Just watched some his film. I didnt see many wow plays based on what i watched. All i can say is he hustles to the ball, but regardless of his height he does has something you need to be a good edge rusher, he has long arms. Maybe they looked at him and said in a few years this is what he can be, even if he aint now. Would love to know his official measurements. Btw are people saying he a DT? All of his snaps were from the edge i think that i watched

Advertisement
PWO? Too early for that?
Something does not add up. I don’t buy that we have so many prospects that we are taking him for depth or special teams, or because he has good grades, or is charismatic, or anything else. There is more to the story which we may never know, but I wish we did because when staffs accept commitments from kids that obviously will never start and may never significantly contribute it genuinely makes fans question the decision making of the staff.
This is like watching D’No picking a safety.

I don’t get it because even as a depth and developmental piece, he doesn’t have the raw measurable’s we’ve been told they’re looking for - size on the inside, length on the outside with twitch and speed (**** yo pause).

I mean we were told they don’t like Capers and McGahee from the same school for the same reasons yet this guy isn’t better now or in measurable’s for the future.

And yeah, I get it… we’ll land 2 highly rated DT’s. That’s great but it doesn’t change the selection based on the criteria as I’ve understood it.

Advertisement
Forget the top tier for a moment, the 4 lowest regarded guys on that list all have better physical traits and/or tape. Go look at everyone else’s offer list compared to this kid. I don’t know his strength numbers but his film doesn’t show elite speed for his size. I know he has good HS production but only way this is an ok take is if we’re taking more than 4 or the 3 top guys want in and it scared everyone else away.
I’m not saying he’s a take. Just saying our coaches think he’s a take imo not a back up plan

Maybe im wrong but this isn’t indicative of where we are at with the other group to me

I don’t get it because even as a depth and developmental piece, he doesn’t have the raw measurable’s we’ve been told they’re looking for - size on the inside, length on the outside with twitch and speed (**** yo pause).

I mean we were told they don’t like Capers and McGahee from the same school for the same reasons yet this guy isn’t better now or in measurable’s for the future.

And yeah, I get it… we’ll land 2 highly rated DT’s. That’s great but it doesn’t change the selection based on the criteria as I’ve understood it.
Yea taking him really is the strangest thing. It's not like he has the big tools like 6-6 with long arms as a raw football player. Just way too many other guys higher on the board now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back