3* 2021 LB Eric Gentry Hits the Portal

Advertisement
I thought Philly was one of their core recruiting areas? Am I wrong?
I’m not super familiar with PSUs recruiting but yeah I would imagine they would hit Philly pretty hard since there isn’t really much around PSU. You have the Pittsburgh area that churns out a lot of talent

I just didn’t know if there was a connection I was missing

The drive from PSU to Philly is interesting. There’s literally nothing for hours and then you get to Philly and it’s like another world. You’ve got some places along the east coast that are closer and more similar to Philly

If a kid likes the urban life of Philly, PSU would be far from ideal. Anyway, just wanted to see if I was missing anything

Advertisement
I’m with you here. I watched 2 game highlights and while I saw some tackles and speed, particularly n space, I also saw a really really skinny kid. I mean 6-6 200 is super thin for a backer.
This roster is already under sized. If they can put 20 lbs. on him would be much better get.

Advertisement
Might be an unpopular take, but in certain situations, like this Gentry kid, are we ******** over and/or stunting our own kids growth/development (ie: Chase Smith) in this scenario... Chase was our recruit, that most are really high on, and shows promise.. now you basically bump another young dude with similar size in front of chase and potentially send chase to the portal next year... I know "stack chips" "let them battle and best wins out", and I see that too... How close in talent are the two? should we give preference to OUR recruits that chose to be canes from HS, over these NIL assassins??? thoughts?

Might be an unpopular take, but in certain situations, like this Gentry kid, are we ******** over and/or stunting our own kids growth/development (ie: Chase Smith) in this scenario... Chase was our recruit, that most are really high on, and shows promise.. now you basically bump another young dude with similar size in front of chase and potentially send chase to the portal next year... I know "stack chips" "let them battle and best wins out", and I see that too... How close in talent are the two? should we give preference to OUR recruits that chose to be canes from HS, over these NIL assassins??? thoughts?

Unpopular take for sure

No. You always stack chips and let the players settle it on the practice field.

Also, if Chase beats this guy on the practice field and then rolls an ankle in the game, you need to have depth. In your scenario, we wouldn't have depth because the coaches would be worrying about hurt feelings the hypothetical scenario of stunting groth

This can absolutely occur. Mario will get a pass on this issue because so few of the players are his recruits, but schools have to be proficient at recruiting and developing the right players to be Uber successful.
I don’t know that Gentry creates the specific problem of stunting growth because I think he and Chase could play together; Gentry on the inside and Chase on the outside. But your point is accurate. Too many coaches will undercut their own talent evals and development by constantly recruiting over their own players through the transfer portal. I don’t think Mario will be that way in the long run and I would expect the number of transfers we accept to drop every year. More like Bama wherein we are cherry picking for 1-2 spots.

Advertisement

While I agree that's a potential problem, we're an injury or two away (so is everyone else) from it not being a problem, but an insurance policy.

Gotta start recruiting at an elite level so you don't become known as transfer U. I'm not saying we're that yet, but you don't want recruits asking why bother going there, they'll just portal guys in ahead of you.

Game has gotten crazy.

Could they not play at the same time? I could be wrong, but it would assume if you have veterans like Steele and Strong coaching LBs that getting these dudes on the field shouldn’t be an issue.

Advertisement
What?

Not gonna get high level football and culture operating like this

Advertisement
Back