247 has lost their **** mind

Dont get me wrong that lsu team was special. Explosive. Burrows was unreal that season.

Could lsu stop miamis running game?

Its hard to truly judge because how much the game has changed.
That’s the thing, the eras are so different. I don’t think LSU could stop the run game though. Bama gashed them that year. But as great as our defense was nobody was stopping that LSU offense. Not UGA, Bama, Clemson. To me, these two teams come down to QB and I just think Burrow had the greatest single season in college history.

Advertisement
that LSU team may be close but id still take the 01 team over any of those. also which rules are we playing under?
I don’t think the rules would have mattered though. You put the 2001 team in modern era it’s a wrap for everyone anyways. That LSU team ain’t see a defense as fast and physical as that team even in modern era they would be laying fools out. We would wear their defense out and keep that potent offense off the field either way. All that scrambling burrow was doing is not working with Vilma or DJ spying and those fast D-ends and big Vince pushing up the middle.

idk

Those Miami teams never played a QB like Joe Burrow.
Burrow was pedestrian against a decent Auburn defense, at home. I’m not saying Miami’s secondary wouldn’t get torched a couple times, but they certainly had the depth to keep up and matchup. What they did best was jump out to leads and make teams play their style. I don’t think they matchup well with the 2001 teams O line and backfield. They couldn’t control that game.

img_1_1663796968293.jpg

Advertisement
Burrow was pedestrian against a decent Auburn defense, at home. I’m not saying Miami’s secondary wouldn’t get torched a couple times, but they certainly had the depth to keep up and matchup. What they did best was jump out to leads and make teams play their style. I don’t think they matchup well with the 2001 teams O line and backfield. They couldn’t control that game.
You cherry picked the one game he was “pedestrian” in. He still threw for 330 76% 1 TD 1 int and ran one in. He threw for at least 300 and 3 TDs in every other SEC game that year. UGA and Clemson were #1&#2 in defense that year and he threw for 810 and 9TDs in the biggest games of the year. No college defense in history could matchup with that team. Clemson punched em in the mouth early and then they outscored them 35-7 the rest of the way. The offense was literally unstoppable.
Been a Canes fan for 40 years but I gotta be objective on this one.

As long as the game isn’t being played in Chestnut Hill, I’m picking the ‘01 Canes to win over ‘19 LSU.

You cherry picked the one game he was “pedestrian” in. He still threw for 330 76% 1 TD 1 int and ran one in. He threw for at least 300 and 3 TDs in every other SEC game that year. UGA and Clemson were #1&#2 in defense that year and he threw for 810 and 9TDs in the biggest games of the year. No college defense in history could matchup with that team. Clemson punched em in the mouth early and then they outscored them 35-7 the rest of the way. The offense was literally unstoppable.
Been a Canes fan for 40 years but I gotta be objective on this one.
I did cherry pick that one bc that was the only game that he saw 6-7 DB’s on the field almost every snap. 99% of teams can’t do that. The 2001 team could’ve lined up 8 DB’s that could matchup pretty well with anybody. The depth on that roster is the reason it was the greatest.

Advertisement
Play 10 games against that USC team, I think it's us 7 to 3 or thereabouts.

Play 10 games against that LSU team, I think it's us 6 to 4 us or even a split. I think we could cover reasonably well their WR's, but Burrow was literally putting the ball on the money into any tight window at will that year. Coverage didn't even matter most of the time. As a passing QB, I don't recall seeing his better. That was a season for the ages.

I'm still picking us ever so slightly, but that's my top 3. Some Bama team would be next.

Here we are again, clinging to the memory of a team from two decades ago. Who gives a ****? Players we're recruiting now weren't even born yet. That team doesn't even have HD highlights. This is sad.

1) Recency bias will always be a key component in these types of lists.

2) Having Larry Coker as head coach is always going to hurt. The Canes should have been winning games 60-13, instead they were winning 30-13. Coker shut down the offense far too often in 2001. He did it in the opener at Penn State and in the BCS title game against Nebraska. We should have hung 70 on Nebraska in that game.
Funny that the two best teams of all time were coached by Larry Coker and Ed Orgeron

Advertisement
Welcome to 21 years of irrelevancy. Generations have passed since that Miami team dominated. All of its superstars are about 40 years old, minimum and out of football.

Ken Dorsey is Buffalo's offensive coordinator. Ed Reed is the new head coach a Bethune-Cookman. The 2002 Rose Bowl wasn't even widescreen and broadcast in HD. This was a lifetime ago.

Conversely, a lot of great teams have come up since—and while we'll all agree here that 2001 Miami was the greatest football team in history—history is the operative word. This was a lifetime ago. Memories fade and new generations are far removed of this team's dominance.

This is akin to talking about 1960's era Notre Dame and Alabama to the 1980's era Canes or telling 1990 era Miami war stories about Southern Cal.

That and who cares about these dumb annual best-team-ever posts. They praised Miami for decades and now that the 2001 team gets further in the rearview, they're gonna hype newer teams. So it goes. Either way, UM needs to get back to winning and relevance.

That LSU team is very legit. It'll likely have about a handful of Pro Football Hall of Famers, and a ton of pros, too. As dominant of a team in college football since the 'Canes 20 years prior. They murdered everyone and the QB is a cold blooded assassin.
They have (in my opinion) a pretty significant advantage at QB and much more quality depth at WR, but we had 4 legit NFL studs back and a better line. I'm as big a Canes fan (since early '87) as anyone around here, but I'm also honest and objective. The 2001 Canes are the most talented team I've ever seen, but they weren't perfect by any means. I'd take our boys head to head against anyone, but I wasn't crazy about no. 11 and **** sure not a fan of LC as the CEO. That LSU squad was filthy and would've given us a good tussle, 2004 SC and 2005 UT with Young would also be worthy opposition. Vince was a difference maker and arguably the best big game QB of his generation.

Advertisement
Really what this comes down to is rules as everyone else has said.

It's how far in the past we're living. Ed Reed has grey hair right now.

Talent wise we stack up very well. Certainly the best starters. We can talk about non contributing back-ups but that's pointless.

No one would be able to move the ball on us until our starters and back ups were ejected.

On offense we could be lights out. That O line and Portis is formidable. Johnson and Shockey are the only guys that couldn't be kept in check.

Like everyone Dorsey is my favorite QB. But every time I go back and watch tape I see that nerd with a weak arm. He couldn't make all the throws. He could but then the WR had to be but naked.

I'd say the offense would look like it did against OSU but that 01 line was so **** fantastic (but not perfect, Dorsey hung in there a few times to get the ball out in 01).

Actually after writing all that I change my mind about the rules mattering. If our D played by today's rules it would still be the most talented and sound D out there. Maybe not creative (cover 2 man press 90%). Our offense would be good for at least 40 in the new system of rules.

Any all-time list with 2008 UF on it should be sh*t on and left for dead. Even UF homers have a difficult time mentioning that squad w a straight face because they LOST to Ole Miss. No team with a loss belongs in any of these discussions.

Advertisement
Back