2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement
Every transfer should come play at Miami. You have good athletics, great weather. smart students (at least when I was there a decade ago 😎), and you’d have Coach L coaching you. Next year’s roster is also looking good: Wooga, Joseph, Omier, Pack is a solid 4 dudes, and Casey looks good to me, he will be good.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
We should be able to get the pick of the litter for whichever Portal player we want after this run...
DC 106.7 mentioned this morning a rumor that PG Jahmir Young mave have rekindled interested in Miami. Young, a DeMatha standout who basically chose Maryland over Miami in the Portal a year ago, may still end up in Coral Gables. He made 2nd Team All B1G this past season. Averaged around 16 ppg (even though his 3 pt shooting was only mediocre in games I caught on tv). He had 13 against us in that 88-70 loss we had to the Terps back in November.

Last edited:
This is exactly the type you would want.. Someone to slide next to Omier who can space the floor and do a little rim protection off the ball..
Not proven enough imo. The transfers we have were elite. Omier was 4th in rebounding in the country at Arkansas State.

Advertisement
We should be able to get the pick of the litter for whichever Portal player we want after this run...

That is a perception but not the reality.
This run will probably ensure us that Beverly and Walker return and very likely Wong also since all 3 were in the same recruiting class.
Either they win a National Championship together and leave or come back next season to finish some unfinished business which would be winning the National Championship in 2024.
If that happens, Miami has only 1 scholarship left and even more importantly, very little if any playing time to offer a transfer.
No one saw Poplar going from barely playing to starter so it is very likely Casey, Aire and Watson will see a significant increase in playing time.
The return of Beverly and Walker means Coach L will have 5 Seniors on the team and most likely 4 of them will be starters.

Projected Starters:
Pack, Wong, Poplar, Walker and Omier.

2nd Unit:
Joseph, Beverly, Watson, Casey and Aire.

Other reserves:
Robinson, Jovanovich and Nwoko.

Could someone transfer out, sure but it's highly unlikely given who they have returning and the high likelihood of another deep run in the NCAA tournament next season.
I actually expect Wong to declare for the draft only to return in May.
When you look at it from a distance with all of the factors, it is probably best that Miami holds onto that scholarship for now until 2024 recruiting class. Then they would have 6 available scholarships for 5 HS players and a transfer or 4 HS players with 2 transfers.

Advertisement
This run will probably ensure us that Beverly and Walker return and very likely Wong also since all 3 were in the same recruiting class.
Either they win a National Championship together and leave or come back next season to finish some unfinished business which would be winning the National Championship in 2024.
If that happens, Miami has only 1 scholarship left and even more importantly, very little if any playing time to offer a transfer.
No one saw Poplar going from barely playing to starter so it is very likely Casey, Aire and Watson will see a significant increase in playing time.
The return of Beverly and Walker means Coach L will have 5 Seniors on the team and most likely 4 of them will be starters.

Projected Starters:

2nd Unit:

Other reserves:

Could someone transfer out, sure but it's highly unlikely given who they have returning and the high likelihood of another deep run in the NCAA tournament next season.
When you look at it from a distance with all of the factors, it is probably best that Miami holds onto that scholarship for now until 2024 recruiting class. Then they would have 6 available scholarships for 5 HS players and a transfer or 4 HS players with 2 transfers.
this whole premise is based on Wong coming back and I really doubt that happens. he's a 22 year old conference player of the year, there's very little left for him to prove or show at this level. he needs to go pro. even if feedback from the NBA is that he's still not ready he's better off proving himself in the G League or Europe. I don't think unfinished business with two guys on the bench is really going to change his mindset about his future. our only hope would be Ruiz offering him more money to come back than he could get as a pro.

we will have two open spots in the starting line up replacing Wong and Miller. we have no obvious candidates to fill those roles at a high level so we will be in the portal for a starting caliber guard and wing. I assume we'll have high standards. the good news is that with any development from Casey and Aire we should have better big depth than we've had in recent seasons.

I think the main question for me is simply what kinda guard L wants to put next to Pack. do we let Pack take over lead ball handling duties so he can show more for NBA scouts? or do we want to find another player like Wong who keeps Pack more in a secondary ball handling role? I'd personally prefer the latter since we're severely lacking in shot creation in a scenario where we lose Wong and Miller. but I trust L to find a guy who fits the system.

Is he the type that can play the Jordan Miller swing guy role? Walker isn't that guy, don't know if Casey is...
Just looking at his stats I don’t think so. There’s usually a drop off in stats year 1 coming from a smaller bball school to the ACC and he only averaged 11 ppg. Could be good off the bench but I doubt he wants that.

this whole premise is based on Wong coming back and I really doubt that happens. he's a 22 year old conference player of the year, there's very little left for him to prove or show at this level. he needs to go pro. even if feedback from the NBA is that he's still not ready he's better off proving himself in the G League or Europe. I don't think unfinished business with two guys on the bench is really going to change his mindset about his future. our only hope would be Ruiz offering him more money to come back than he could get as a pro.

we will have two open spots in the starting line up replacing Wong and Miller. we have no obvious candidates to fill those roles at a high level so we will be in the portal for a starting caliber guard and wing. I assume we'll have high standards. the good news is that with any development from Casey and Aire we should have better big depth than we've had in recent seasons.

I think the main question for me is simply what kinda guard L wants to put next to Pack. do we let Pack take over lead ball handling duties so he can show more for NBA scouts? or do we want to find another player like Wong who keeps Pack more in a secondary ball handling role? I'd personally prefer the latter since we're severely lacking in shot creation in a scenario where we lose Wong and Miller. but I trust L to find a guy who fits the system.
Agree. Pretty sure Wong is gone after this run and accolades he's earned. He's old by prospect standards and his stock will never be higher.

Advertisement

Projected Starters:

2nd Unit:

Other reserves:

Your projected starters aren't good enough to win it all. You're basically just replacing Miller with a less player walker, and assuming Wong comes back.. We are in BIG BOY Basketball now... You grab the top NIL transfer(s) and inject it into Pack, Omier, Poplar. You make room and push deadweight out. It's cold, but IMO, you gotta go BIG from here on out if we want to maintain high expectations/results. We inject players that will make us a final 4 type team.

@IndayArtHauz I’ll try to go by position, based on fit with Miami & my personal Opinion, but not necessarily a ranking.

PG:
Jameer Nelson Jr - 20.6ppg 4.6rebs 3.6ast 44.5% FG 77% FT
Scoring Guard with great pedigree, very good shooter with a nice handle
Team/Scheme Fit: 7

Primo Spears - 16ppg 5.3ast 41% FG 79% FT
Natural scoring Guard with a good Jumper from the Midrange & makes lots of plays off the dribble driving to the basket, plays very similarly to Wong. Was one of the best Guards in the Big East this season
Team/Scheme Fit: 8

Chuck Harris - 10.4ppg 3.1reb 2.4ast 1.0stl 40% FG 34%3pt 85% FT
Good on-Ball Defender who actually played his best his True Freshman season where he was 12.9ppg 40% from the Field 40% from 3 & 1 steal per game. Experienced veteran Big East Guard.
Team/Scheme Fit: 6

Dayvion McKnight - 16.5ppg 5rebs 3.8ast 1.8stl 45%FG 33%3pt 84% FT
Lefty shooter who drives to the basket & creates plays, is a pure hooper, doesn’t really need an Offensive set, creates his own shot. Active on-ball defender, is stocky built & can guard multiple positions despite being only 6’1.
Team/Scheme Fit: 6-7

Ta’lon Cooper - 9.8ppg 4rebs 6.3ast 1.1stl 39%FG 37.8%3pt 61% FT
Floor General Ball distributor, 5th year vet that started at Morehouse & then spent last season at Minnesota. Good lengthy defender & can knock down 3’s when needed, but is primarily a QB on Offense.
Team/Scheme Fit: 7-8

Javon Small - 15.8ppg 4.8rebs 5.6ast 1.2stls 39.7%FG 33%3pt 85% FT
Athletic Scoring Guard who can create off dribble with a good handle & is a ball distributor as well. Has a beautiful natural jumper,Long range shooter from 35ft+, who can also put the ball on the floor & drive the lane with nice touch floaters. Good defender that can guard 1-3.
Team/Scheme Fit: 8.5-9

Kevin Miller - 18.5ppg 5.3ast 51.9%FG 37.5%3pt 77% FT
Pure scorer, with very good speed. Shoots a high % because he mostly drives to the basket & make plays at the rim, is very crafty Guard with a nice handle who can break Defenses down off the dribble & always finds his way to the rim. Undersized at 6’0, but his quickness & handle make him a tough matchup to Guard. Is really skilled with both Left & Right hand finishes at the basket. Plays a lot like Speedy Claxton

Enoch Cheeks - 15.4ppg 4.4reb 3.5ast 1.3blk 1.8stl 44.6%FG 35.8%3pt 79% FT
Versatile Guard with long arms & good size at 6’3 190, has a nice step back jumper & can knock down 3’s. Cerebral player; plays good off ball & can get to the rim at will. Very good defender with physicality.

SG:
Nate Calmese - 17.6ppg 2.5reb 2ast 1.2stl 48%FG 36.7%3pt 75% FT
IMO Best 2 Guard available in the Portal. Is only 6’2, but can shoot the lights out of the gym & is a pure playmaker. Left & Right hand floater can finish at the basket & is a high impact volume scorer. Was Freshman of the Year in the Southland Conference. Gilbert Arizona kid that will command a lot attention from top tier programs
Team/Scheme Fit: 9.5

Denver Jones - 20ppg 3.8reb 2ast 1.8stl 47.8%FG 37%3pt 84% FT
Best pure scorer in the Portal; can shoot well from 3 & midrange can score driving to the basket, both hand finishes, floaters, step back jumper & has smooth overall game. Ball dominant Guard, will have to transition to being more off-ball, but is a Big time talented P6 caliber player. Plays a lot like Johnell Davis at FAU
Team/Scheme Fit: 7.5

Khalif Battle - 17.9ppg 3.6reb 1stl 41%FG 35%3pt 9.8% FT
Versatile Wing scorer; Can play 2-Guard or 3. High volume shooter, can put the ball on the floor & drive to the basket, but prefers to get‘em up from range. Lengthy 6’5 with long arm wingspan. Can defend when he wants to.

Jaykwon Walton - 13.9ppg 5.3reb 1.9ast 53%FG 40%3pt 78% FT
Former UGA transfer who went to Wichita ST, lengthy Combo Wing at 6’7 205. Can shoot really well from 3, is more of a stationary off-ball set-shot shooter, than a ball handler. Has a nice step back & can drive to the basket when needed. Smooth game.

Jace Carter - 16.6 7reb 1.8stl 1.6ast 45.6%FG 68% FT
Northern FL kid with good size at 6’5 210, has a really nice jumper, but is primarily a drive & create type Wing-Forward.

Landon Moore - 13.1ppg 3.6ast 42%FG 36%3pt 82% FT
A True Freshman we should all be familiar with, dropped 25 on us earlier in the season when we played St. Francis (PA) back in December. Natural shooter who plays really well off ball & has a nice deep range 3

Jayden Taylor - 12.9ppg 3.8reb 1.2stl 40.8%FG 32.6%3pt 77% FT
Good scorer from Butler, has a good drive & spin-back fade away shot. Can finish at the basket well & had 13 games with 16 points or more against really good Big East.

SF/PF:
Jordan Minor - 17.4ppg 9.4reb 2.6blk 1.4stl 51%FG 58% FT
6’8 240 F, that plays really well in the post but has good feet & can run the floor in transition very well. Plays above the rim, is a PF with + athleticism, Pick & Roll lobs all day, is a strong interior post player who can Rebound & Defend. Plays a lot like Omier actually & even has a similar physique. Has good touch around the basket & can put the ball on the floor from the High post or even outside the Key & get to the basket. Plays lower level talent at Merrimack, but has a skill set that can translate.
Team/Scheme Fit: 9

Jaemyn Brakefield - 11ppg 5.7reb 53.7%FG 35%3pt 73% FT
6’8 220 Wing-F that plays similarly to Jordan Miller. Lefty, who can shoot well from 3 & drives to the basket in ISO situations, utilizes his pump fake to break defenders down & can get you bucket in crunch time

Dame Adelekun - 13.8ppg 7.2reb 2blk 56%FG 41%3pt 61% FT
6’8 220 PF that plays like a Center; Dynamic post player who can put the ball on the floor & create his shot off the dribble & knock down midrange 18ft’ers when necessary. He’s fluid & plays with good athleticism around the basket & can step out & hit a 3. Had a 41pt 10reb & 3blk game against Columbia. Good rim protector & shot blocker, also had 7 games with 4 or more assists.

EJ Jarvis - 11ppg 5.5reb 1.5blk 55%FG 40.6%3pt 72% FT
6’8 220 kid from DC playing at Yale; Lefty shooting F, who drive to the basket & finish, is primarily a Left-Elbow post player who plays a lot with his back to the basket, but can face up & pump fake to get easy high % shots. Has good interior footwork, but can step out hit a 3 when necessary. Is a player Miami has already contacted & expressed interest in

Zack Austin - 14.1ppg 5.4reb 2.1blk 1.1stl 43.7%FG 33%3pt 78% FT
6’5 SF with long wingspan & good athleticism, plays like Poplar, except has a more natural jump shot. Very good on-ball Defender & plays above the rim in transition.

Josh Cohen - 21.8ppg 8.3reb 2.5ast 58%FG 65% FT
6’10 220 PF, is another Saint Francis (PA) kid we should be familiar with had 30pts & 9 rebounds against us back in December. Is a Stretch-4 Shooting Forward who can rebound, plays a lot like Duke style Bigs. Surprisingly enough, has never taken 3 in his career.

C:
Graham Ike - 19.5ppg 9.6rebs 51%FG 71% FT
6’9 255 traditional Big, was a walking Double Double in the Mountain West.
Best games included:
- 33pts & 10rebs vs Boise ST
- 29pts & 15rebs vs New Mexico
- 24pts & 11rebs vs Nevada
- 23pts & 8rebs vs Utah ST
- 28pts & 12rebs vs Utah ST
- 25pts & 11rebs vs Stanford
- 26pts & 10rebs vs Washington
- 25pts & 18rebs vs San Jose ST
- 27pts & 12rebs vs Air Force

Payton Sparks - 13.3ppg 8.7reb 1.9ast 58.8%FG 40%3pt 52% FT
6’9 240 traditional style Back to the basket Big. Interior post player with good footwork & can rebound well. Plays almost exactly like Qudus Wahab (GTown)
Team/Scheme Fit: 5

Kel’El Ware - 6.6ppg 4.1reb 1.3blk 45.7%FG 71%FT
True 7ft’er from Little Rock ARK, True Freshman that was at Oregon, plays more like a Stretch-4 than a true Center, but has some high upside & potential with more development. Wasn’t a starter but had some good games against really good comp.
- 18pt 9reb & 2blks vs UCONN
- 17pt 9reb & 1blk vs Mich ST
- 13pt 7reb & 1blk vs Villanova
- 13pt 6reb & 1blk vs OR ST
- 10pt 6reb & 1blk vs Cal

Last edited:
@IndayArtHauz I’ll try to go by position, based on fit with Miami & my personal Opinion, but not necessarily a ranking.

PG:
Jameer Nelson Jr - 20.6ppg 4.6rebs 3.6ast 44.5% FG 77% FT
Scoring Guard with great pedigree, very good shooter with a nice handle

Primo Spears - 16ppg 5.3ast 41% FG 79% FT
Natural scoring Guard with a good Jumper from the Midrange & makes lots of plays off the dribble driving to the basket, plays very similarly to Wong. Was one of the best Guards in the Big East this season

Chuck Harris - 10.4ppg 3.1reb 2.4ast 1.0stl 40% FG 34%3pt 85% FT
Good on-Ball Defender who actually played his best his True Freshman season where he was 12.9ppg 40% from the Field 40% from 3 & 1 steal per game. Experienced veteran Big East Guard.

Dayvion McKnight - 16.5ppg 5rebs 3.8ast 1.8stl 45%FG 33%3pt 84% FT
Lefty shooter who drives to the basket & creates plays, is a pure hooper, doesn’t really need an Offensive set, creates his own shot. Active on-ball defender, is stocking built & can guard multiple positions despite being only 6’1.

Ta’lon Cooper - 9.8ppg 4rebs 6.3ast 1.1stl 39%FG 37.8%3pt 61% FT
Floor General Ball distributor, 5th year vet that started at Morehouse & then spent last season at Minnesota. Good lengthy defender & can knock down 3’s when needed, but is primarily a QB on Offense.
Team/Scheme Fit: 7-8

Javon Small - 15.8ppg 4.8rebs 5.6ast 1.2stls 39.7%FG 33%3pt 85% FT
Athletic Scoring Guard who can create off dribble with a good handle & is a ball distributor as well. Has a beautiful natural jumper,Long range shooter from 35ft+, who can also put the ball on the floor & drive the lane with nice touch floaters. Good defender that can guard 1-3.

Kevin Miller - 18.5ppg 5.3ast 51.9%FG 37.5%3pt 77% FT
Pure scorer, with very good speed. Shoots a high % because he mostly drives to the basket & make plays at the rim, is very crafty Guard with a nice handle who can break Defenses down off the dribble & always finds his way to the rim. Undersized at 6’0, but his quickness & handle make him a tough matchup to Guard. Is really skilled with both Left & Right hand finishes at the basket. Plays a lot like Speedy Claxton

Enoch Cheeks - 15.4ppg 4.4reb 3.5ast 1.3blk 1.8stl 44.6%FG 35.8%3pt 79% FT
Versatile Guard with long arms & good size at 6’3 190, has a nice step back jumper & can knock down 3’s. Cerebral player; plays good off ball & can get to the rim at will. Very good defender with physicality.

SG:
Nate Calmese - 17.6ppg 2.5reb 2ast 1.2stl 48%FG 36.7%3pt 75% FT
IMO Best 2 Guard available in the Portal. Is only 6’2, but can shoot the lights out of the ball & is a pure playmaker. Left & Right hand floater can finish at the basket & is a high impact volume scorer. Was Freshman of the Year in the Southland Conference. Gilbert Arizona kid that will command a lot attention from top tier programs
Team/Scheme Fit: 9.5

Denver Jones - 20ppg 3.8reb 2ast 1.8stl 47.8%FG 37%3pt 84% FT
Best pure scorer in the Portal; can shoot well from 3 & midrange can score driving to the basket, both hand finishes, floaters, step back jumper & has smooth overall game. Ball dominant Guard, will have to transition to being more off-ball, but is a Big time talented P6 caliber player. Plays a lot like Johnell Davis at FAU
Team/Scheme Fit: 7.5

Khalif Battle - 17.9ppg 3.6reb 1stl 41%FG 35%3pt 9.8% FT
Versatile Wing scorer; Can play 2-Guard or 3. High volume shooter, can put the ball on the floor & drive to the basket, but prefers to get‘em up from range. Lengthy 6’5 with long arm wingspan. Can defend when he wants to.

Jaykwon Walton - 13.9ppg 5.3reb 1.9ast 53%FG 40%3pt 78% FT
Former UGA transfer who went to Wichita ST, lengthy Combo Wing at 6’7 205. Can shoot really well from 3, is more of a stationary off-ball set-shot shooter, than a ball handler. Has a nice step back & can drive to the basket when needed. Smooth game.

Jace Carter - 16.6 7reb 1.8stl 1.6ast 45.6%FG 68% FT
Northern FL kid with good size at 6’5 210, has a really nice jumper, but is primarily a drive & create type Wing-Forward.

Landon Moore - 13.1ppg 3.6ast 42%FG 36%3pt 82% FT
A True Freshman we should all be familiar with, dropped 25 on us earlier in the season when we played St. Francis (PA) back in December. Natural shooter who plays really well off ball & has a nice deep range 3

Jayden Taylor - 12.9ppg 3.8reb 1.2stl 40.8%FG 32.6%3pt 77% FT
Good scorer from Butler, has a good drive & spin-back fade away shot. Can finish at the basket well & had 13 games with 16 points or more against really good Big East.

SF/PF:
Jordan Minor - 17.4ppg 9.4reb 2.6blk 1.4stl 51%FG 58% FT
6’8 240 F, that plays really well in the post but has good feet & can run the floor in transition very well. Plays above the rim, is a PF with + athleticism, Pick & Roll lobs all day, is a strong interior post player who can Rebound & Defend. Plays a lot like Omier actually & even has a similar physique. Has good touch around the basket & can put the ball on the floor from the High post or even outside the Key & get to the basket. Plays lower level talent at Merrimack, but has a skill set that can translate.

Jaemyn Brakefield - 11ppg 5.7reb 53.7%FG 35%3pt 73% FT
6’8 220 Wing-F that plays similarly to Jordan Miller. Lefty, who can shoot well from 3 & drives to the basket in ISO situations, utilizes his pump fake to break defenders down & can get you bucket in crunch time

Dame Adelekun - 13.8ppg 7.2reb 2blk 56%FG 41%3pt 61% FT
6’8 220 PF that plays like a Center; Dynamic post player who can put the ball on the floor & create his shot off the dribble & knock down midrange 18ft’ers when necessary. He’s fluid & plays with good athleticism around the basket & can step out & hit a 3. Had a 41pt 10reb & 3blk game against Columbia. Good rim protector & shot blocker, also had 7 games with 4 or more assists.

EJ Jarvis - 11ppg 5.5reb 1.5blk 55%FG 40.6%3pt 72% FT
6’8 220 kid from DC playing at Yale; Lefty shooting F, who drive to the basket & finish, is primarily a Left-Elbow post player who plays a lot with his back to the basket, but can face up & pump fake to get easy high % shots. Has good interior footwork, but can step out hit a 3 when necessary. Is a player Miami has already contacted & expressed interest in

Zack Austin - 14.1ppg 5.4reb 2.1blk 1.1stl 43.7%FG 33%3pt 78% FT
6’5 SF with long wingspan & good athleticism, plays like Poplar, except has a more natural jump shot. Very good on-ball Defender & plays above the rim in transition.

Josh Cohen - 21.8ppg 8.3reb 2.5ast 58%FG 65% FT
6’10 220 PF, is another Saint Francis (PA) kid we should be familiar with had 30pts & 9 rebounds against us back in December. Is a Stretch-4 Shooting Forward who can rebound, plays a lot like Duke style Bigs. Surprisingly enough, has never taken 3 in his career.

C:
Graham Ike - 19.5ppg 9.6rebs 51%FG 71% FT
6’9 255 traditional Big, was a walking Double Double in the Mountain West.
Best games included:
- 33pts & 10rebs vs Boise ST
- 29pts & 15rebs vs New Mexico
- 24pts & 11rebs vs Nevada
- 23pts & 8rebs vs Utah ST
- 28pts & 12rebs vs Utah ST
- 25pts & 11rebs vs Stanford
- 26pts & 10rebs vs Washington
- 25pts & 18rebs vs San Jose ST
- 27pts & 12rebs vs Air Force

Payton Sparks - 13.3ppg 8.7reb 1.9ast 58.8%FG 40%3pt 52% FT
6’9 240 traditional style Back to the basket Big. Interior post player with good footwork & can rebound well. Plays almost exactly like Qudus Wahab (GTown)
Team/Scheme Fit: 5

Kel’El Ware - 6.6ppg 4.1reb 1.3blk 45.7%FG 71%FT
True 7ft’er from Little Rock ARK, True Freshman that was at Oregon, plays more like a Stretch-4 than a true Center, but has some high upside & potential with more development. Wasn’t a starter but had some good games against really good comp.
- 18pt 9reb & 2blks vs UCONN
- 17pt 9reb & 1blk vs Mich ST
- 13pt 7reb & 1blk vs Villanova
- 13pt 6reb & 1blk vs OR ST
- 10pt 6reb & 1blk vs Cal

It will take me some time to digest this tome, my liege!

Advertisement
Back