2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement

Excerpt:

Oregon freshman Kel'el Ware, the No. 7 overall prospect out of the 2022 class and former McDonald's All American, will enter the transfer portal. As of now, Ware has no intention of entering the 2023 NBA Draft, he tells 247Sports.

The Ducks’ 7-footer was projected as a late first round pick after a rocky season in Eugene. But rather than enter the NBA Draft in 2023, he is taking another year of college to further elevate his stock at a new program.

Ware will have a rating of 98 in the 247Sports transfer portal rankings. Not only will this give him a 5-star transfer portal rating, but it will also make him the portal's highest-rated player.

At Oregon, Ware played just 15.8 minutes a game but he made efficient use of his time on the floor, posting 16.8 points, 10.3 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 1.3 assists per 40 minutes.

Ware is an outstanding talent who boasts tremendous size, length and fluid athleticism. This adds to a tantalizing skillset that flashes the ability to switch 1 through 5, create his own bucket in the mid/low-post as well as stretch the floor with his three-point shot.

Ware had a career high 18 points to pair with nine rebounds, one block and two assists against UConn on November 24 in the Phil Knight Invitational.

Advertisement
So just add Calmese, Ware, and Drakefield lol?
It would be great if we could, but I doubt we do.

There’s a whole bunch of players I think would be good pickups, it’s just a matter of figuring out who has mutual interest, who exactly is leaving/returning to the team for next season & how much room we’ll have.

We know Miller can’t come back, so that’s 1 slot that will be open.

Then it just comes down to what happens with Wong, Walker & maybe Robinson.

Advertisement
I said there should be one more last week. It was either Love or Davis as the last name leaving UNC. They refused to play with each other. They made the right choice IMO.

We should stay very far away. He’s not someone you bring in to what should be a lineup that stays mostly intact and as close as the guys seem to be.

Your projected starters aren't good enough to win it all. You're basically just replacing Miller with a less player walker, and assuming Wong comes back.. We are in BIG BOY Basketball now... You grab the top NIL transfer(s) and inject it into Pack, Omier, Poplar. You make room and push deadweight out. It's cold, but IMO, you gotta go BIG from here on out if we want to maintain high expectations/results. We inject players that will make us a final 4 type team.

Do you have any example where Coach L did what you suggest? " make room and push deadweight out".
I guess you were not around for the 5 years of Rodney Miller and Sam Waardenburg.
If you don't know who those guys are then you just proved my point.
The irony of "inject players that will make us a final 4 team" is flawed because neither Pack nor Omier played on a team that made the NCAA Tournament in 2022.
Most of the transfers in the portal are from teams that didn't make the NCAA Tournament.
I think your passion about the team is great but you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

this whole premise is based on Wong coming back and I really doubt that happens. he's a 22 year old conference player of the year, there's very little left for him to prove or show at this level. he needs to go pro. even if feedback from the NBA is that he's still not ready he's better off proving himself in the G League or Europe. I don't think unfinished business with two guys on the bench is really going to change his mindset about his future. our only hope would be Ruiz offering him more money to come back than he could get as a pro.

we will have two open spots in the starting line up replacing Wong and Miller. we have no obvious candidates to fill those roles at a high level so we will be in the portal for a starting caliber guard and wing. I assume we'll have high standards. the good news is that with any development from Casey and Aire we should have better big depth than we've had in recent seasons.

I think the main question for me is simply what kinda guard L wants to put next to Pack. do we let Pack take over lead ball handling duties so he can show more for NBA scouts? or do we want to find another player like Wong who keeps Pack more in a secondary ball handling role? I'd personally prefer the latter since we're severely lacking in shot creation in a scenario where we lose Wong and Miller. but I trust L to find a guy who fits the system.

Being 22 doesn't matter as McGusty came back at 23. Wong would probably make more money on an NIL deal with Ruiz than in Europe or the G League next year.
Conference player of the year literally holds no weight in the draft process.
As much as I like Wong, I don't see him getting drafted so coming back to school is more likely than people think.
Another factor is will he graduate in May.
You don't know until he makes his decision.

Advertisement
Do you have any example where Coach L did what you suggest? " make room and push deadweight out".
I guess you were not around for the 5 years of Rodney Miller and Sam Waardenburg.
If you don't know who those guys are then you just proved my point.
The irony of "inject players that will make us a final 4 team" is flawed because neither Pack nor Omier played on a team that made the NCAA Tournament in 2022.
Most of the transfers in the portal are from teams that didn't make the NCAA Tournament.
I think your passion about the team is great but you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.
Felt like Rodney Miller was here for 10 years.

I don’t think that idea of injecting players to make us a final 4 team is flawed. Pack and Omier both put up stats that made them obvious top players. Omier 4th in the country in rebounding, Pack 17+ ppg in a good conference. Might not make you instant final 4, but definitely very capable players.

Advertisement
Ware and a larger 2 guard and we might be pre-season top 5 next year. (We will might be pretty high regardless).

That being said L has knack for finding the right fit type guys. I will be interested to see Wooga with another summer working on his range and Omier I bet comes back with some more range as well.

Ware and a larger 2 guard and we might be pre-season top 5 next year. (We will might be pretty high regardless).

That being said L has knack for finding the right fit type guys. I will be interested to see Wooga with another summer working on his range and Omier I bet comes back with some more range as well.
We need a big man BAAAAD, we cant depend on one guy to never get in foul trouble forever can we? lol.. That **** is wiiiiiiild

ELITE Shot Blocker, lead the Nation in Blocks & is an absolute GIANT at 7’5 235.

Even at his size, he’s not big & lumbering, he can actually move really well & has good footwork in the paint.

He can run the floor & score.

Oh man the portal is going to be just as crazy in hoops sorting through these top 50-75 names. Def finding good fits will become a skill in itself. You want to avoid those one year guys who are just truly out for themselves. You have to sell them on maybe getting less but in the process showing more.

Advertisement
Back