2024 Transfer Portal

AJ Storr - 6’6 200 SG/SF True Freshman from Rockford IL, averaged 8.8ppg 43%FG, wasn’t a starter but played well coming off the bench.

Kolby King - 6’2 170 PG True Freshman from Pembroke Pines, didn’t really play much

Advertisement
How many of these kids entered in the hope of more PT and some cash and because of all the media's PR Miami was the first team they contacted.

I bet its more than we even think. The unfortunate part will end up in worse situations. Most of these kids just need a little patience and the "work while you wait" attitude

Do you have any example where Coach L did what you suggest? " make room and push deadweight out".
I guess you were not around for the 5 years of Rodney Miller and Sam Waardenburg.
If you don't know who those guys are then you just proved my point.
The irony of "inject players that will make us a final 4 team" is flawed because neither Pack nor Omier played on a team that made the NCAA Tournament in 2022.
Most of the transfers in the portal are from teams that didn't make the NCAA Tournament.
I think your passion about the team is great but you are setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.
There are no examples from the past because our NIL situation just got implemented on the BBALL team recently with wong/pack/Omier. And yes, I'm well aware who those players were. Just saying NIL can make a huge difference in a game of 5 starters. Maybe coach L will evolve in his roster decisions with the needs of NIL and injecting top talent each year at positions of need. You lost me on your take of the injecting players for a final 4 team. I didn't say players needed to come from a final 4 team. Just taking top tier guys that fit our needs from any school will keep us in contention.

Advertisement
How many of these kids entered in the hope of more PT and some cash and because of all the media's PR Miami was the first team they contacted.

I bet its more than we even think. The unfortunate part will end up in worse situations. Most of these kids just need a little patience and the "work while you wait" attitude
Depends on which ones...

A lot of the Portal entries have been Full-time starters at their previous program & are either looking for a new start, decided to leave due to coaching change, or are possibly in search of some lucrative NIL deals because they know they probably won’t make it to the NBA or G-League.

There’s a lot of reasons why a lot of kids are hitting the Portal, from all of the entries I’ve seen it’s mostly smaller level school kids looking to come up to a higher level & increase their profile while getting a chance to play some P6 Ball.

ELITE Shot Blocker, lead the Nation in Blocks & is an absolute GIANT at 7’5 235.

Even at his size, he’s not big & lumbering, he can actually move really well & has good footwork in the paint.

He can run the floor & score.

My initial thought was nah I dont want to match Omier with a true center who can't stretch the floor. But after watching those highlights, my goodness what a weapon this kid would be. 7'5 in college is just too much of a mismatch to not take.

Tell Omier to spend all summer working on his midrange game and develop a threat of a 3 point shot and this would be a nasty pickup.

Pack
Wong
Wooga
Omier
Jamarion Sharp

And if we lose Wong, I hope we get baby Jameer

Advertisement
Out of curiosity, is anyone from our team likely to enter the portal? How many roster openings are we expected to have next year other than Miller and Wong?
It’s not necessarily certain that Wong won’t come back, he could leave, but it’s mainly a 50/50 speculation right now.

But other than that, we don’t really know. It’s a possibility that maybe Walker or Jakai Robinson might leave, but again we don’t actually know, it’s just speculation.

Out of curiosity, is anyone from our team likely to enter the portal? How many roster openings are we expected to have next year other than Miller and Wong?
Just total speculation, but i wouldnt be surprised if Beverly goes portal if he has a year left which i think is the case. he sometimes seemed a bit distant from the team's road to triumph, although perhaps making the Final 4 fixed that. im thinking he feels he deserves a great deal more playing time than he can get here, so depending on who else we get for next year, it wouldnt surprise me, especially if his NIL is a bit too tiny for his taste.

Advertisement
Just total speculation, but i wouldnt be surprised if Beverly goes portal if he has a year left which i think is the case. he sometimes seemed a bit distant from the team's road to triumph, although perhaps making the Final 4 fixed that. im thinking he feels he deserves a great deal more playing time than he can get here, so depending on who else we get for next year, it wouldnt surprise me, especially if his NIL is a bit too tiny for his taste.
Yeah, I could see that with Beverley... weird career trajectory here although obviously influenced by injuries. I find it a real credit to Wong that of the three players on this roster who played decent minutes for the bad teams of 2020/2021 (along with Beverley and Walker) he has been able to remain a key piece on the winning teams of the last few years, while the other two have seen their minutes/contributions steadily decrease (although once again Beverley's injuries have to be acknowledged).

It’s not necessarily certain that Wong won’t come back, he could leave, but it’s mainly a 50/50 speculation right now.

But other than that, we don’t really know. It’s a possibility that maybe Walker or Jakai Robinson might leave, but again we don’t actually know, it’s just speculation.
A few weeks ago, I was getting my haircut in Silver Springs, MD. I walk-in with my canes gear, guy starts talking to me asking me if I knew who Jakai was, say he coached him in high school. He said that Jakai like it at Miami and was waiting his turn. Now, this was a few weeks ago. If (when) I run into him again I will ask him if anything changed.Also, said college coaches he knew expected Miami to make a deep run and he picked Miami to win it all. So you know we hit it off immediately lol.

AJ Storr - 6’6 200 SG/SF True Freshman from Rockford IL, averaged 8.8ppg 43%FG, wasn’t a starter but played well coming off the bench.

Kolby King - 6’2 170 PG True Freshman from Pembroke Pines, didn’t really play much

Storr plays no defense. Why Pitino was Ok with saying goodbye.

Advertisement
A few weeks ago, I was getting my haircut in Silver Springs, MD. I walk-in with my canes gear, guy starts talking to me asking me if I knew who Jakai was, say he coached him in high school. He said that Jakai like it at Miami and was waiting his turn. Now, this was a few weeks ago. If (when) I run into him again I will ask him if anything changed.Also, said college coaches he knew expected Miami to make a deep run and he picked Miami to win it all. So you know we hit it off immediately lol.
Interesting. Jakai has sort of become our forgotten recruit, what with still not seeing the court after a RS year.

My initial thought was nah I dont want to match Omier with a true center who can't stretch the floor. But after watching those highlights, my goodness what a weapon this kid would be. 7'5 in college is just too much of a mismatch to not take.

Tell Omier to spend all summer working on his midrange game and develop a threat of a 3 point shot and this would be a nasty pickup.

Pack
Wong
Wooga
Omier
Jamarion Sharp

And if we lose Wong, I hope we get baby Jameer
Actually, Omier has a decent mid-range game (if we had a true 5 man, Omier'd be able to show that), and 3 point stroke. Its just we needed him positioned as close the hoop as possible this season and why would you have him taking 3 point shots more than once a game (if that) when you have better sharpshooters?

All about PT next season. If a player doesn't see enough of that for himself, he's likely to consider the Portal.

Right now, hard to see why Jakai would stay. He seemed to fall behind a couple of this season's frosh. But ... who knows, we don't really know how Coach L sees him, or any of this past year's recruits (they got little to no PT, except for Casey and he didn't exactly wow anyone).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back