2024 Transfer Portal

I got to see that St Joes run up close. We used to fundraise for our baseball program by doing security for SJU and Nova games. I was a coach at that point so I volunteered to work a lot...then just hung out once there. It felt like every shot Nelson put up was going in. Looks like Junior can fill it up like dad.

Side story: When they played Nova at the Pavilion it was an unreal atmosphere. Nova was loaded with all those guards....I actually had to "work". But my job was to make sure no one bothered Brian Westbrook and Freddie Mitchell so I sat courtside...and one older lady snuck by me during a TV Timeout. Asked for an autograph. As she walked away Mitchell taps me "Nice work" and just started laughing but not an amused laugh. Took every ounce of power to not make a ****head comment back. Westbrook was the man. Very quiet.
Still have my Westbrook autograph from that game, you didn’t do too good to a job 😂. My dad was a sju grad so went to a ton of games that year. Delonte was my favorite player on that team but it was such a deep squad. Does the name Don DeCarlo ring a bell? Big time booster of Nova ball at the time. I know the glory days of the big 5 was before my time but I wish it could get back to that level of competition. Was talking to a buddy about wanting either Dunn or Nelson Jr, would be really fun to watch them with Coach L.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Still have my Westbrook autograph from that game, you didn’t do too good to a job 😂. My dad was a sju grad so went to a ton of games that year. Delonte was my favorite player on that team but it was such a deep squad. Does the name Don DeCarlo ring a bell? Big time booster of Nova ball at the time. I know the glory days of the big 5 was before my time but I wish it could get back to that level of competition.
Haha You must have got it before the game or after because during I did a good job for the most part.

They were fun to watch and the Sju gym gets loud. That game at the Pavillion was loud but their non student fans are a little more reserved. You know the money at Nova is serious.

I have a friend who is a touch older than me that played on the really good La Salle Teams of the late 80’s and early 90’s with Lionel Simmons. He said other than the tourney there was nothing like Big 5 games back then because every squad was solid and had a ton of locals.

I don’t know the name. But I typically got the high roller section if I volunteered to work. I worked one game where they sat me with the AD’s when Nova played Wvu. Middle of the game the guy lets out Huge cheer for no reason. His wife asked what happened and he said PacMan declared. He wouldn’t say much but just said Pac-Man was a bit of a handful on campus so he was thrilled he was gone.

Haha You must have got it before the game or after because during I did a good job for the most part.

They were fun to watch and the Sju gym gets loud. That game at the Pavillion was loud but their non student fans are a little more reserved. You know the money at Nova is serious.

I have a friend who is a touch older than me that played on the really good La Salle Teams of the late 80’s and early 90’s with Lionel Simmons. He said other than the tourney there was nothing like Big 5 games back then because every squad was solid and had a ton of locals.

I don’t know the name. But I typically got the high roller section if I volunteered to work. I worked one game where they sat me with the AD’s when Nova played Wvu. Middle of the game the guy lets out Huge cheer for no reason. His wife asked what happened and he said PacMan declared. He wouldn’t say much but just said Pac-Man was a bit of a handful on campus so he was thrilled he was gone.
So I got the autograph by the opposite end of the nova student section, along the baseline. Brian was walking and I was a hawk for autographs back in the day at that age. Funny store about Don DeCarlo, we would go to the dumpster behind the pavilion knock on the door and say his name and sit courtside. Did it for a handful of games, think we sat on the baseline that night not courtside.

My dad tells me of the glory day big 5 matchups, I went with him a couple times to the palestra matinees. Was easily some of my favorite basketball memories growing up. When I saw the canes playing there a couple years back against La Salle I made sure all my canes friends in the area came!

Replacing Miller is going to be difficult, especially if we don't add anyone from the portal. We'll need Watson and Casey to replicate the growth that Wooga and Joseph had this year.

Pack/Joseph
Wooga/Beverly
????/Watson
?????/Casey/Walker(?)/Jovanovich
Omier/Aire/Nwoko

I can see us taking one for the 3/4 spot. I can’t see us take a big who can’t shoot (unless the coaches don’t think Aire can play at this level), and I think the point is already crowded with Pack and Joseph’s progression suggests a high ceiling.

I can see us taking a 1/2 guard if Beverly transfers to be a star on a mid major squad.

I’ve heard a lot of optimism about Watson and Jovanovich. Watson was on the verge of breaking through this year but we already had a 9 man rotation and needed interior minutes more than perimeter minutes.

Advertisement
I would like a 6'9 ish wing player that can play inside and out. Bigger Miller to add with Omier. Add a PG or great ball handling 2 guard and we will be right back next year. I still have faith in a few of the frosh emerging as well. We could be loaded with right pieces added.

I look up and the guy Menmon posted fits exactly what I want lol.

I think the transfers may tell you how L feels about the youngins' too. If we recruit 1-2 1 year guys that might be telling us the youngsters just need one more year of being role players while some older guys are the go to guys.

It can’t be easy for these Atlantic Coast Conference universities in the Carolinas and mid-Atlantic to observe what we’re witnessing – a supposed ‘football school’ rising to the top of the league and emerging from the first weekend of the tournament as the only ACC men’s team to qualify for the Sweet 16. It certainly can’t be easy for some coaches who seem resentful - perhaps a tad jealous - when they watch UM flourishing in this new era of college sports, when players can benefit from their Name, Image and Likeness.

Ohio coach Jeff Boals became the latest to take a shot at UM. After the Canes’ 63-56 win against Drake on Friday, Boals tweeted about Miami: “800,000 dollars will get you a second game and 8-25 FG’s.” The tweet - unbecoming and borderline unprofessional for a college head coach – wasn’t even accurate. Nijel Pack, who has a two-year, $800,000 deal to promote John Ruiz’s LifeWallet, played well, shooting 8 for 15. Isaiah Wong, who has an undisclosed deal with LifeWallet, shot 1 for 10 before rebounding with 27 points in Sunday’s win against Indiana. Boals’ swipe at the Canes, which he eventually deleted, came a month after now-retired Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim told ESPN’s Pete Thamel that “Miami bought a team. … It’s like, ‘Really, this is where we are?’ That’s really where we are, and it’s only going to get worse.” Jim Larranaga has taken the high road on this; he has no interest in engaging in verbal volleys with other coaches. So have his players. “I’m not focused on that,” Norchad Omier said Wednesday when asked about shots from other coaches.

Regardless, it’s irrelevant because the Canes are merely using the new rules to their advantage. What does Ruiz think of these types of comments from Boeheim and Ohio’s Boals? “I don’t think it’s their place to discuss NIL really,” he said in a text message. “I find NIL to be off the court while coaches should be focusing on the court. There is also a bigger picture here. Kids are learning, making money and helping themselves and their own family.” Ruiz said the “big picture is LifeWallet is tied to the athletes it promotes, which provides branding to LifeWallet. NIL has nothing to do with performance. It has to do with marketing. However, UM did win both games and is now in the Sweet 16, which provides more interaction for LifeWallet athletes, as the athletes are talked about.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/...y-jackson/article273369850.html#storylink=cpy
Jim Boals looks like a **** with ears on a pencil neck. He is just ****ed because Pack makes as much as him or pretty **** close.
DSC_4967.jpg

Advertisement
Jim Boals looks like a **** with ears on a pencil neck. He is just ****ed because Pack makes as much as him or pretty **** close.
DSC_4967.jpg

image.jpeg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Sounds like he's a good player but we have a portal thread already going Lol. Just add him in that thread, no? Either way we probably getting 2 transfers from the portal for next season. And who doesn't wanna come play for this team after the past 2 seasons!?

Sounds like he's a good player but we have a portal thread already going Lol. Just add him in that thread, no? Either way we probably getting 2 transfers from the portal for next season. And who doesn't wanna come play for this team after the past 2 seasons!?
Done. Merged the Josh Oduro thread into this existing Portal thread.

Advertisement
Back